PDA

View Full Version : Steelers rely on simple game plan

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2006, 12:34 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_483387.html

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 9, 2006

The Steelers had three days to prepare for Thursday night's game with the Cleveland Browns. Coach Bill Cowher didn't give his team any days off, and his practices were intense.
Cowher did a nice job of out-coaching Cleveland's Romeo Crennel (join the crowd, Bill). The Steelers are the better team. But they also were more ready to play and won handily, 27-7, at Heinz Field.

"I thought the best thing we did this week was to go outside and practice," Cowher said after the 6-7 Steelers won their second consecutive game and recorded their fourth win in five games. "We practiced Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. It made it a pretty normal week.

"I thought we played with that type of energy tonight. The way the guys responded to the short week, the way that we practiced, even on Monday, it didn't surprise me the way we played."

Cowher didn't want to wear out his players after last Sunday's easy home win over Tampa Bay, but there's something to be said for hard work.

Let's be realistic. The fact the Steelers are now playing their best football of the season, with their three most recent wins coming against the Browns (twice) and the Buccaneers, is hardly coincidental.

The Browns are a bad football team. If you thought Tampa Bay was terrible, get a load of the Browns. They don't know how to win, and some of their players appear to have lost interest.

If a "simple" game plan got us such a big win, then maybe BC needs to take a simple approach all the time instead of the approach we have been taking this year which obviously hasn't worked all that well.

AZ_Steeler
12-10-2006, 01:34 AM
That's the truth!!! Keep on keepin' it simple! :cope:

Their play against the Browns Thursday was the best I've seen this season beside the Chiefs game!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Exactly, that was indeed the most complete game we've played except for the Chiefs game. Everybody was getting pressure, the offense was moving the ball, hell even the ST were doing well so you know its a good night when our ST guys make alot of big plays :lol:

AZ_Steeler
12-10-2006, 01:56 AM
ST did a decent jpb this past week, I'm not sure I agree with the short kicks and kicking it on the ground but it did seem to work... maybe it was because Chidi was back :D

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2006, 02:12 AM
Funny how once we get Chidi back, and Harrison is healthy again all of the sudden the ST start playing better. :dunno:

yeah those short kicks have been driving me nuts all year but atleast it worked for us last week :tt02:

Koopa
12-10-2006, 02:51 AM
that writer sure is trying his best to downplay our wins..........the best thing for us right now is to play simple, just to build our guys confidence up.....the more they score and win the better they feel about themselves going into next season when we have a new coach and a better offense and hopefully we draft a stud defensive player to have a better defense......damn i can't wait for 07 lol