PDA

View Full Version : Porter thinks BC is staying

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2006, 01:31 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_483394.html

By Scott Brown and Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 9, 2006

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter doesn't expect coach Bill Cowher to retire after the season.
"I would be shocked if he don't come back," Porter told the NFL Network after the Steelers' 27-7 victory over the Cleveland Browns on Thursday night at Heinz Field.

Cowher is under contract with the Steelers through 2007, but the veteran coach's future with the team is in question.

Cowher and the Rooney family didn't agree on a contract extension prior to the start of the season, and he and his wife bought a multi-million dollar home in Raleigh, N.C.

Cowher, who is in his 15th season as the Steelers' head coach, told the NFL Network's Cris Collinsworth in an interview that, when he relocates to North Carolina -- his family is already living in Raleigh -- it would be to get away from football.

When asked about that after Thursday's game, Cowher said, "I guess, if I went to Carolina, that's what it would be."

Cowher, the longest-tenured head coach in the NFL, added that he hadn't made a decision about whether he would return to the Steelers next season.

"I feel like, right now, he's coaching like he still wants to be here. And I hope he's going to be here, because, like I said, I am fond of the guy. I love everything about him," Porter told NFL Network's Deion Sanders during an interview. "At the same time, it's all speculation. At this point in time, I have no clue. You hear all these different rumors and stuff. We got three more games to find out."

Sanders then wondered if Porter, who is known to be unhappy with a contract that has one year ($5 million) left on it, wanted to play in Pittsburgh beyond this season.

"I don't want to go nowhere," Porter said. "I don't want to go nowhere. I'm here, man. I hope they still want me here. I'm playing like I'm trying to be here. I'm going to do everything in my power to stay here."

I still don't think BC has made up his mind what he wants to do but It's good to see Porter wants to stay. He's our emotional leader, the guy that helps get us fired up and he's one fo the best trash talkers in the business.

AZ_Steeler
12-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Watching the game Thursday night Cowher got really fired up on the sidelines and was something we haven't seen much of this year. Right then, during the game, I really got a feeling that Cowher would be back because that game lit that fire that was going out!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2006, 02:48 AM
I got that feeling after the Miami game, the KC game, and both cleveland games. Other than that I haven't felt like passion has been there.

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-10-2006, 06:07 AM
I'm not a Porter supporter never was. I said before Cowher should be gone earlier in the season. I will admit I could be wrong. Does Cowher and co comeback to a prove point? Since we have not played up to par this year.

Captcoolhand
12-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Who knows what BC is going to do but Porter is going to have to take a cut in pay if he thinks they are going to keep him around. I'm not to sure he will go for that:scratch:

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Well Porter could be out the door. Considering we have other needs.

Captcoolhand
12-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Ya but in all honesty,Who do you have to replace him:scratch:

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Capt anyone really. I think Porter could be gone easily. My issue is. If Cowher comes back . I see Porter doing the same due to cowher's influence. Rian Wallace can replace porter. Porter is on the wrongside of 30. I do not see the Steelers overpaying.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2006, 09:51 AM
No way Rian Wallace replaces Porter. He's an ILB and Porter is our OLB, and while Wallce has a huge upside IMO, he's not ready to be crowned a Starter just yet.

When Porter missed 2-3 games earlier this year, our defense was visibly non-emotional, didn't have any pep, fire, whatever you want to call it. When he's in, even if we aren't winning the guy is giving it his all and doing his best to make plays, plus he knows our defense better than anyone. If BC comes back, then I think Porter does and the Steelers will offer him a deal for maybe 3 yrs and alittle more per year than he makes now. If BC doesnt come back, Im not sure Joey wants too, but we'll see.

House of Steel
12-10-2006, 10:15 AM
HEY YOU GUYS, there is a certain person from Kent State that would gladly step in Porter's role, JAMES HARRISON!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2006, 10:19 AM
I like James alot but they guy misses atleast 4 games a year due to injury, if not more. He's had some bad luck in that dept with trying to stay on the field and healthy.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-10-2006, 11:00 AM
there is a certain person from Kent State that would gladly step in Porter's role, JAMES HARRISON!!!!

I didn't realize that he was from Kent State, I seem to remember a HOF linebacker we had from that school.... does anyone else remember him???

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-10-2006, 11:09 AM
No way Rian Wallace replaces Porter. He's an ILB and Porter is our OLB, and while Wallce has a huge upside IMO, he's not ready to be crowned a Starter just yet.

When Porter missed 2-3 games earlier this year, our defense was visibly non-emotional, didn't have any pep, fire, whatever you want to call it. When he's in, even if we aren't winning the guy is giving it his all and doing his best to make plays, plus he knows our defense better than anyone. If BC comes back, then I think Porter does and the Steelers will offer him a deal for maybe 3 yrs and alittle more per year than he makes now. If BC doesnt come back, Im not sure Joey wants too, but we'll see.

TG I see your point. I see Porter as a product of the scheme we run. So yes I think he is replacable rather easily. I do not see Porter going somewhere else and having the same success. I just hope the Steelers do not overpay for his services.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I agree, and I don't think they will overpay him either. History shows us they're pretty good at letting players go at the right time. Lloyd, Greene, Brown, Gildon, etc. I would imagine he'll stick around and they'll offer him a fair deal it's just a matter of if he'll take it or not. If he truely wants to stay here then he'll take it.

He does fit into our scheme perfectly and Im not so sure he'd do as well in another system either.

SteelerDan43
12-10-2006, 11:39 AM
IMO Cowher has earned the right to do as he pleases, if he wants to step aside fine. If he wants to continue he has more than earned it. As far as Porter goes he better pack his bags because after his contract is up he is gone... we dont pay aging players that have visably lost a step, ask Gildon about that one.

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2006, 12:11 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_483394.html

I still don't think BC has made up his mind what he wants to do but It's good to see Porter wants to stay. He's our emotional leader, the guy that helps get us fired up and he's one fo the best trash talkers in the business.

I'd think he is staying if it takes him that long.

Koopa
12-10-2006, 04:09 PM
f'k what porter thinks lol, cowher will go, he better go, he's worthless, always has been

gunnerrick
12-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Time for a change. They both won't be back next year. :helmet:

AZ_Steeler
12-12-2006, 02:10 PM
IMO... I think one of the two will be back for sure and I'm leaning towards Cowher being the one who returns :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2006, 02:14 PM
I just can't see a Steeler team with #55 back there trash talking and blowing past OT's and running down a RB to the outside.

AZ_Steeler
12-12-2006, 02:19 PM
I can't see it either TG but Joey has had a little attitude this year towards the organization and his whole contract issue :dunno:

I hope I am wrong because Porter is an awesome LB for the Steelers especially when he shows up to play which he hasn't done a whole lot of this year!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2006, 02:46 PM
He's got a chip on his shoulder, sure. I actually prefer him to play pissed off and mad. It usually makes him even more intense. He may not be having the best year of his life, but our defense clearly suffers when he is not in the game.

The entire team, every single player has struggled this year, so I don't think we can really judge any one individual on whether they should be back this next year or not, based on this season. Sure some things will need to change and most likely will change; whether its a new HC, different players, or whatever but I would just hate to see a Steeler team without Porter out there. Especially with Jerome gone, this team needs all the leaders it can get.