PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin officially names Ben the starter; looking sharp in practice

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Straight from Steelers.com and every other major media outlet, Tomlin has named Ben the starter and said he has looked good in practice this week.

How can you not be excited to see #7 back in action; I've never been so excited to see us play the Browns :lol: It'll be good to have the man himself back on the field. His teammates and coaches are excited to see him back, hopefully he can put together a good 2 weeks worth of work and get out there next Sunday and tear it up.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/05/2279657/roethlisberger-looks-sharp-strong.html

Roethlisberger looks sharp, strong in 1st practice

By ALAN ROBINSON

AP Sports Writer

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/10/05/18/434-Steelers_Roethlisberger_Football.sff.embedded.prod _affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/10/05/18/951-Steelers_Roethlisberger_Football.sff.standalone.pr od_affiliate.81.jpg)
Keith Srakocic
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger passes during his first practice back after a four-game suspension at the NFL football teams's practice facility in Pittsburgh, Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2010.

Ten seconds were all Ben Roethlisberger needed to prove to the Pittsburgh Steelers he wasn't affected by his month away from the NFL.
On the first pass he threw Tuesday in his first post-suspension practice, Roethlisberger found fast wide receiver Mike Wallace far downfield for an over-the-shoulder catch of a perfectly thrown football.
Right about then, his teammates probably were thinking the same thing: Ben is back.
"We have our whole team here, and we have our leader - our quarterback - back with us," Wallace said. "He makes everybody better. The offense is definitely going to go in another direction."
Roethlisberger showed no rustiness or lack of rhythm in his first practice since training camp, zipping passes throughout a 30-minute passing drill that was incorporated into the practice to quickly get him and his receivers back in sync.
"It was a good step, and I don't think it'll take as long as I thought," Roethlisberger said.
He'll have two more practice days during this bye week to regain his timing and precision, followed by a full work week before the Oct. 17 home game against Cleveland.
"It normally takes a while to get going out there, but it felt pretty good," Roethlisberger said. "I knew that my arm would be good. I knew it would be strong, and I knew it would feel good. It's just a matter of working with the guys."
Since last being with the team on Sept. 2, Roethlisberger threw almost daily to a collection of receivers at high school stadiums, intentionally throwing more passes than normal because he wasn't throwing any in games. A private quarterbacks coach helped him with his footwork and delivery.
Wallace, the team's fastest receiver, couldn't remember Roethlisberger throwing a bad pass during the entire practice.
"We're going to throw the ball because we've got one of the best guys back," Wallace said. "So I'm excited. I've been smiling. Ever since last night, I've been smiling."

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/05/2279657/roethlisberger-looks-sharp-strong.html#ixzz11XDDZ8Vc

steelersbabex25
10-05-2010, 08:39 PM
What a surprise

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Had he been off for 4 weeks with an injury, I'd probably be more worried about how he will do. Since he's been working out with a QB coach and practicing with high school WR's and what not, I'm excited to see how he'll do. He pretty much had a 4 week QB boot camp that can only help.

steelersgal86
10-05-2010, 09:03 PM
:woot: bring on the clowns :helmet:

jpele
10-05-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm really glad Ben is back but it's gonna suck having to wait two week to see him play.

Pretty funny saying he looks sharp,after watching Batch and Dixon I would probably look sharp.:lol:

Farrior Fan
10-05-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm really glad Ben is back but it's gonna suck having to wait two week to see him play.

Pretty funny saying he looks sharp,after watching Batch and Dixon I would probably look sharp.:lol:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure Wallace, Ward, and Heath are gonna gel with Ben really quickly. The new guys are all gonna be amazed at the difference. I'll be so glad to get a throwing QB out there instead of a dreaded "game manager"

I cannot wait to see the line on the Browns game. I really think we will destroy them.

LarryNJ
10-05-2010, 09:32 PM
after watching Batch and Dixon I would probably look sharp.:lol:

hahaha

The offense is going to take it to another level...35 points next Sunday.

North Steel
10-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Cleveland Browns be prepared to get raped LOL.:tt02::cope::banana:

Root4Stlrs
10-05-2010, 10:17 PM
hahaha

The offense is going to take it to another level...35 points next Sunday.

I think you're right. Can't wait to see Ben back on the field. It's like night and day when he's back. And I think overall the offense will be better than ever with the running game and the OL improved from last year. Watched part of the re-play of the Ravens game and think the pass blocking is better than it's been. Batch really had a lot of time and was just too slow making his reads although he did have some good throws. I think he did the best he could and I appreciate what he did do for the team. All that said, I can't wait to see what happens on Oct. 17.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2010, 11:46 PM
I have said since the suspension happened that Ben would be better then ever.......Ben always like playing with a chip on his shoulder....I believe this whole ordeal made him focus and prepare even harder then ever......Ben will play the best football of his career and I know Ben wants so badly to have Fuhrer Goodell hand Ben his third Lombardi.......Ben is going to be on a mission and I can't wait.........

The reports I have read have stated Ben worked on his mechanics and also his deep ball.........I think the Steelers drop 40 on the Stains when Ben comes back.........

BR7
10-06-2010, 12:50 AM
I think the Steelers drop 40 on the Stains when Ben comes back.........

By halftime :cope:

coldrolled
10-06-2010, 06:12 AM
it feels like preseason just ended.....

ejsteeler
10-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Waiting through this bye week bites but, like most of you, I think we start our season now in meaningful fashion. :cope:
With Ben sharp, they will not be able to cover for the run and the pass. Our biggest hurdle will be, you guessed it, play calling. We will soon see if BA is as bad as some (or most) of us think. :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2010, 12:52 PM
it feels like preseason just ended.....

I was just thinking that the other day too, getting Ben back makes it feel like we're ready to officially start the season now. :cope: I'm glad we went 3-1 so far, but I'm stoked to see how the team plays with Ben back at the helm.

SteelCityKid5
10-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Im glad we have the bye week but I wish we didnt so I could see Ben.