PDA

View Full Version : Mark Whipple going to Boston College

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Source: Eagles To Name New Head Coach
Last Edited: Friday, 08 Dec 2006, 10:12 PM EST
Created: Friday, 08 Dec 2006, 10:12 PM EST
Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback's coach Mark Whipple during his days at U-Mass.
SideBar

Related Items
Stories
O'Brien Won't Coach B.C. in Bowl Game After Going to N.C. State

Sources close to the negotiations have told FOX25 that Boston College is close to hiring Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback’s coach Mark Whipple.

Whipple spent six season as head coach at UMass, winning the 1-AA National title back in 1998. Before that he coached at his alma mater Brown.

He’s spent the last three seasons with the Steelers, winning a Superbowl with Pittsburgh last season.
Boston College Athletic Director Gene DiFillipo would not confirm that he is close to hiring Whipple, but did say that he will be moving quickly to fill the Eagles head coaching vacancy.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2006, 12:49 PM
They can't do anything yet until the season is over so this doesnt matter yet. However I'd hate to see Marc go because he's been so instrumental in Ben's success to date in his career. We'll have to wait and see as the season comes to an end in the next few weeks ( or maybe not if we're lucky ;) ) :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-09-2006, 12:50 PM
I really don't think its a big loss. I hope whoever becomes the next QB's coach really teaches Ben to start using a three step drop back.

Iron City South
12-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Ben already benefited from Whipple and is now considered a proven veteran in the league ..... its time we cut bait with Whipple, wish him well, and let Ben start being his own man calling his own plays.

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-09-2006, 12:52 PM
TG I actually heard a rumor that Mark will leave as soon as the ink is dry on the contract. To recruit. I do not know.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't know how he would either. The Steelers wouldnt allow a coach to just drop out and leave in the middle of the season, nor would the NFL allow it to the best of my knowledge.

I don't doubt that boston college probably wants him atleast to some degree but for him to just up and leave in the middle of his contract, I can't imagine that happening according to league rules that I am aware of.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2006, 12:22 AM
I stand corrected, it looks like Cowher has given boston college permission to interview him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06344/745021-66.stm

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Officials from Boston College will interview Steelers quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple for the Eagles' head-coaching job today.

The Steelers have granted Boston College officials permission to talk to Whipple, and Boston television station Ch. 25 reported that the school is close to hiring him.

How in the world the media can say they are close to hiring him when he hasn't even interviewed yet is beyond me.

House of Steel
12-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Cause they are *** kissers. Think about it. I don't think he can go to the job til the NFL season is over. *******S.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2006, 12:38 AM
I know that is the case for NFL teams wanting to hire coaches from other teams, now with college it could be different, I don't know for sure.

I wish he wouldnt go though, QB coaches are good for players. It gives the quarterback somebody to rely on, confide in, teach and get the full attention of every day in practice. If Whipple does go BC needs to bring on another.

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-10-2006, 04:46 AM
Cause they are *** kissers. Think about it. I don't think he can go to the job til the NFL season is over. *******S.

Behind the scene conversations happen everywhere. Not just the NFL.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2006, 08:55 AM
If Boston college was secretly talking to Marc then I lose respect for them for not having the courtesy to wait till the season is over or atleast until Marc gets permission from the team. Those ratbastards, they can't have him !!

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-10-2006, 10:12 AM
TG, I was not implying that it actually happened. But people or organizations do put out "feelers" Whether Whipple apporached BC or vis versa I do not know.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2006, 12:15 AM
The latest from the Post Gazette said he interviewed on Sunday and told Cowher it "went well" so now he's just waiting to see what happens.

Notes: Bill Cowher said quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple will finish out the season with the team, even if he is hired by Boston College to be its head coach.

Steelersfan
12-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Well the Steelers did give permission for BC to talk with him so it should be ok. I say if he gets it just let him go. You know his mind will be elsewhere anyways.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Let's just hope his mind stays on Ben for the rest of season.

gunnerrick
12-12-2006, 12:25 PM
I think this is a testament of how well Cowher's assistance coaches are prepared and ready for the next level. :helmet: