PDA

View Full Version : Those missed field goals are on the coaches too!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Ok, Yes Feed missed the FG's, 2 of them and that was the difference in this game. However, we were kicking into the wind and both FG's were over 45 yds. You don't do that in a close game at Heinz Field. You punt it away and pin them deep.

Blame Reed all you want, and rightfully so, but put it on the coaches too. Should never have attempted those.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Ok, Yes Feed missed the FG's, 2 of them and that was the difference in this game. However, we were kicking into the wind and both FG's were over 45 yds. You don't do that in a close game at Heinz Field. You punt it away and pin them deep.

Blame Reed all you want, and rightfully so, but put it on the coaches too. Should never have attempted those.

AGreed! I am blaming them all!

Troyisabeast_43
10-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I hear what youre saying BRC but Reed is paid to kick FGS it's his main job and he just didnt get it done today plain and simple. Let's not give the defense a free pass today either they gave up too many big pass plays and guys like Boldin and Houshzmanzadeh made a big difference today in the Ravens winning this game. It's too bad because the Steelers blew a huge chance today to go up 2 games on both the Bengals who look like they are going to lose to the Browns and the Ravens both and they failed to get the job done. Having a 2 game lead on both of those teams especially owning the tiebraker over the Ravens 4 games into the season being 4-0 would have been huge and the Steelers really blew a chance to cement their lead in this division.

steelersbabex25
10-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Mehh. The 52 yarder I can somewhat see punting instead of going for the field goal, but a 45 yard field goal? You can't punt from the 30 yard line. Like 43 said, it's his job to make that field goal, and he should make it everytime.

LarryNJ
10-03-2010, 05:33 PM
I agree with babe and troy...you kick those...he had plenty of leg on the first one and over compensated on the second. This is the NFL...you kick a 45 yarder evrytime...unless it's a hurricane like Bens 1st game.

LatrobePA
10-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree, Tomlin that 49 attempt was stupid and here's why:

Confidence for the rest of the game.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-03-2010, 05:38 PM
The whole game plan sucked today

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I hear what youre saying BRC but Reed is paid to kick FGS it's his main job and he just didnt get it done today plain and simple. Let's not give the defense a free pass today either they gave up too many big pass plays and guys like Boldin and Houshzmanzadeh made a big difference today in the Ravens winning this game. It's too bad because the Steelers blew a huge chance today to go up 2 games on both the Bengals who look like they are going to lose to the Browns and the Ravens both and they failed to get the job done. Having a 2 game lead on both of those teams especially owning the tiebraker over the Ravens 4 games into the season being 4-0 would have been huge and the Steelers really blew a chance to cement their lead in this division.

Jeff had already missed 3 this year at home, IMO you don't put him in that position regardless of how it's going. With the wind in your face and knowing it's a tight game, you play field position and let the defense try and get a 3 and out so we get the ball back. If we were up by a lot of points then sure why not try it, but not in a close game, and then not again after he missed the first time.

steelersbabex25
10-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Jeff had already missed 3 this year at home, IMO you don't put him in that position regardless of how it's going. With the wind in your face and knowing it's a tight game, you play field position and let the defense try and get a 3 and out so we get the ball back. If we were up by a lot of points then sure why not try it, but not in a close game, and then not again after he missed the first time.

Makes sense, but you just can't punt from the 30 yard line. You just can't.

dunfbe
10-03-2010, 05:47 PM
I think they have been allowing Reed to try FGs from further out than before. Tunch said in commentary some weeks ago that Reed has been working with coaches to get more distance in his kick-offs...maybe they think that cos of this it means that he can attempt longer Fgs as well...clearly not!!

SteelDad
10-03-2010, 06:00 PM
The play calling in general was atrocious today, but the 3rd down calls prior to each of the missed field goals was bad as well. You're in a defensive struggle with your 4th string QB. You can't put it all on his shoulders. Give him a play where he he has two options and then chuck it to the stands. It's better than taking a sack.

ejsteeler
10-03-2010, 06:40 PM
I disagree. One of them yes, the first one. The second should have been made imo. Either way, we are in fine shape going into the bye.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Makes sense, but you just can't punt from the 30 yard line. You just can't.

I understand your point, but considering that if you miss they get the ball at about the 40 and the game is tight, I would definitely punt it. Let DSep pooch it and have them start inside the 10, or maybe even the 5. You get your defense out and pin their ears back coming after Flacco. You potentially get them in a 3 and out and they punt, or maybe you force a turnover.

I just don't see the reason to try such a long FG attempt, regardless of how good your kicker is or not. It was windy all day and raining off and on. I'd rather take my chances on defense than special teams. :2cents:

K Train
10-03-2010, 08:37 PM
batch had brown wide open on the slant when they went 5 wide and he just chucked it to wallace instead of trying to move the chains....awful decision by batch making reed kick a 49 yarder.

i wont be over this one for a while

lloydfan4life
10-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I hear all the arguments from everyone supporting Jeff missing on the 49 yarder, and I respect your opinions... but I put this loss squarely on his shoulders today. The man makes one hell of a lot of money to MAKE KICKS when called on to do so. He missed both. Jeff should know Heinz field better than anyone who kicks. If it's so 'difficult' to make kicks there then maybe he should have his *** out there on a daily basis practicing in different conditions. There's just no excuse in my mind for those missed kicks today.
I effin HATE losing to the ratbirds and this loss stings really bad.

SteelerDan43
10-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I hear all the arguments from everyone supporting Jeff missing on the 49 yarder, and I respect your opinions... but I put this loss squarely on his shoulders today. The man makes one hell of a lot of money to MAKE KICKS when called on to do so. He missed both. Jeff should know Heinz field better than anyone who kicks. If it's so 'difficult' to make kicks there then maybe he should have his *** out there on a daily basis practicing in different conditions. There's just no excuse in my mind for those missed kicks today.
I effin HATE losing to the ratbirds and this loss stings really bad.

Following your logic no one should ever miss a kick. He has proven to be very good at Heinz, he didn't all of a sudden forget what he's doing. **** happens, it's just a bad day.

MattyVfromCT
10-03-2010, 10:09 PM

this game was kinda reminiscent of when we lost to them at heinz in 01

--- Added 10/3/2010 at 08:09 PM ---

batch had brown wide open on the slant when they went 5 wide and he just chucked it to wallace instead of trying to move the chains....awful decision by batch making reed kick a 49 yarder.

yeah that sucked. after the replay seeing brown so open i had a gut feeling that would come back to bite us and it did. brutal loss :banging:

DanRooney
10-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Completely reminiscent to the loss against the Ravens last year. This one is definitely going to sting for a while. Sucks we have to wait 2 weeks to see another game but at least Ben will have some time to develop some chemistry with his new wideouts.

Farrior Fan
10-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I put this loss on Tomlin for not firing BA weeks/months/years ago. Here is why --> you are in a game where you just know it will come down to the final minute and a FG will likely decide the game. You have great field position and a very good chance to kick an easy FG and you already have the lead. So what does BA do? Go for the kill and let Charlie drop back to throw. Result is he loses 10 + yards and now we have to kick a long FG. That kick was good if it was 10 yards closer.

harpo
10-04-2010, 11:51 AM

I don't know if you remember this play or not but I was more ticked off when Batch overthrew Miller on that 7-route (I think it was a 7 route) but he also had Wallace wide open running a crossing route. It's like Batch couldn't make up his mind on who he wanted to throw to on that one.

Moondog
10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=MattyVfromCT;366528]this game was kinda reminiscent of when we lost to them at heinz in 01

I remember that game and you are right, they missed some field goals in that one too. I just hope the game in Baltimore ends up the same as it did in 01...a Steeler victory.

Danger DANJ
10-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't know if you remember this play or not but I was more ticked off when Batch overthrew Miller on that 7-route (I think it was a 7 route) but he also had Wallace wide open running a crossing route. It's like Batch couldn't make up his mind on who he wanted to throw to on that one.

I remember that play well. Batch overthrew Miller and should have been throwing to Wallace. If Batch hits Wallace in stride there, he is gone for a TD. At the very least, he should have had a first down to Miller. I'm glad Ben is coming back. I doubt he would have missed that throw.

roosterray
10-04-2010, 02:06 PM
My issues were the 3rd down plays that cost us yardage that would have made the kick easier

A sack for -7 on the first one from the 24yd line. This wouldn't have been a 50yarder
And An incomplete pass to Wallace. Can't argue this one but knowing how we've been playing conservative, all year we've been running on this play knowing if we get field goals we win. Reed is 0-4 now going into the wind this year at Heinz that could have won the game.

Troyisabeast_43
10-04-2010, 04:16 PM
My issues were the 3rd down plays that cost us yardage that would have made the kick easier

A sack for -7 on the first one from the 24yd line. This wouldn't have been a 50yarder
And An incomplete pass to Wallace. Can't argue this one but knowing how we've been playing conservative, all year we've been running on this play knowing if we get field goals we win. Reed is 0-4 now going into the wind this year at Heinz that could have won the game.

There are going to be more games this year whether the Steelers are on the road or at home where Jeff Reed is going to have to hit a big FG late in the game to either tie the game up,give the Steelers the lead, or win them the game. So hopefully whatever the issue is with Reed and these misses he gets over it and starts making these kicks when he needs too. While nobody expects Reed to be perfect by any stretch he has now missed 3 critical kicks late in these games at home with Atlanta and Baltimore. That cannot continue to happen or the Steelers are going to have some serious problems...

Black@Gold Forever32
10-04-2010, 07:53 PM

Ktrain I'm with you man...........When Batch launched that ball deep to Wallace....I look at my brother and I yelled what the hell is that sorry old *** mother****er doing.....Chucking it deep instead of going for the short pass for the first down......Batch was all around terrible yesterday which he was against the Bucs as well...He was just lucky against the Bucs...........

But Reed can die in a fire for missing four kicks already.......I agree that the coaches are to blame as well but still Reed is paid to make his field goals......We all know he can't kick off....Its time for Reed to go and I hope the Steelers find a new kicker next year.......He isn't worth the money he wants anyway.....

LatrobePA
10-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Reed sealed his fate...I believe he'll be gone after this season!

Troyisabeast_43
10-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Ktrain I'm with you man...........When Batch launched that ball deep to Wallace....I look at my brother and I yelled what the hell is that sorry old *** mother****er doing.....Chucking it deep instead of going for the short pass for the first down......Batch was all around terrible yesterday which he was against the Bucs as well...He was just lucky against the Bucs...........

But Reed can die in a fire for missing four kicks already.......I agree that the coaches are to blame as well but still Reed is paid to make his field goals......We all know he can't kick off....Its time for Reed to go and I hope the Steelers find a new kicker next year.......He isn't worth the money he wants anyway.....

I said the same thing as well and I believe Batch fell a little bit too much in love with Mike Wallace and the deep ball after what he did in Tampa. Batch figured he could just throw it up to Wallace at anytime and he would come down with it instead of taking the the pass over the middle to Brown which would have given him the first down. Hopefully Ben coming back makes these plays that Batch missed first downs and touchdowns that result in more points instead of FGS. Despite what Randle El did yesterday making a couple nice big 3rd down catches I still feel the Steelers need to work Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown into this offense a lot more. They give Ben more speed to work with and more of a downfield threat as well.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-04-2010, 08:52 PM
43 I have said from early training camp that the young WR's should make the team and play......We know what we have in El and Battle.....I know Battle can play on the kick coverage teams......But Sanders not dressing isn't doing any good for the Steelers or him.....I'm not saying just handing over the slot WR to him either.....But at least dress him and put him out there as the 4th WR.....As for Brown who has been dressing on game days it remains a mystery to me why he isn't being used more as a WR.......

Sure El made some tough catches yesterday but this team with Holmes gone needs speed the speed that Brown can offer.....Wallace just can't be the only burner......

Troyisabeast_43
10-04-2010, 09:24 PM
43 I have said from early training camp that the young WR's should make the team and play......We know what we have in El and Battle.....I know Battle can play on the kick coverage teams......But Sanders not dressing isn't doing any good for the Steelers or him.....I'm not saying just handing over the slot WR to him either.....But at least dress him and put him out there as the 4th WR.....As for Brown who has been dressing on game days it remains a mystery to me why he isn't being used more as a WR.......

Sure El made some tough catches yesterday but this team with Holmes gone needs speed the speed that Brown can offer.....Wallace just can't be the only burner......

I agree completely brotha...Im just worried now that after the two big catches that El made yesterday that Tomlin now more then ever will really be reluctant to take him out of the lineup in favor of Sanders or Brown. As you pointed out it's still a big mistake not dressing Sanders and Brown both and using them down the field in the passing game. Tomlin needs to recognize this especially if the offense is struggling when Ben comes back to stretch the field with somebody else other then Mike Wallace.