PDA

View Full Version : DL dilemma

jpele
10-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Backup nose tackle Chris Hoke did not practice again Thursday because of the second-degree MCL sprain in his right knee. If he cannot practice today, the Steelers will face a dilemma.

They want to dress six defensive linemen, but without Hoke they have only five with no true backup for Casey Hampton at the nose. With Hampton out in game two, the Steelers signed Steve McLendon off the practice squad and released quarterback Byron Leftwich for the weekend.

The Steelers can sign McLendon again, but they cannot release Leftwich, their only backup quarterback. They do not want to release another young player for fear another team would claim him.

The obvious answer would be to place quarterback Dennis Dixon on injured reserve. Placing him on IR when Roethlisberger returns was a possibility anyway, so why not just do it now? The Steelers had hoped to wait until next week, just in case one of their two quarterbacks on Sunday is injured. If they put Dixon on IR he cannot return until next season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10274/1091720-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz116wRqAIC

Zachintosh66
10-01-2010, 10:12 AM
well we got 6 cb's , 6 wr's and 5 OT on the roster w/ 3 rookie LB's.

Next week they are gonna have to chop someone anyways to make room for Ben. So if they sign McClendon again it'll only be for a week, again.

Layin the wood
10-01-2010, 10:23 AM
If Dixon goes on IR cant they sign McLendon from the PS for this week?

harpo
10-01-2010, 10:56 AM
If Dixon goes on IR cant they sign McLendon from the PS for this week?

Yes, they can. As a matter of fact, Ed Bouchette thinks this is probably what will happen.

coldrolled
10-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Yes, they can. As a matter of fact, Ed Bouchette thinks this is probably what will happen.

how about do nothing... let hood be the backup.

hold tight for 2 weeks. what if lefty cant move.. after you IR dixon...??

Zachintosh66
10-01-2010, 11:45 AM

im kinda with you on this

Blazedby92
10-01-2010, 12:14 PM
IR Dixon who cares,:imho: if Ben goes down we are done anyways. We need depth at the DL the old men need the rest.

LatrobePA
10-01-2010, 12:43 PM
IR Dixon who cares,:imho: if Ben goes down we are done anyways. We need depth at the DL the old men need the rest.

Ditto...:cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-01-2010, 01:36 PM

that's what Im thinking too. Worse case scenario is that Hood would play at NT if Hampton were to go down. Or you play defenses where Casey wouldn't be on the field and just deal with it as best as you can.

ejsteeler
10-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I think, over all, the problems we are having to deal with are good ones. It could be so much worse. If the D can stay healthy through this game and the O does what we think it can after BB gets back and keeps the D off the field for extended periods, we'll be flying high. :yesnod:

DanRooney
10-01-2010, 04:00 PM

Who cares? He's the quarterback of the future! Obviously his performance in the last 2.25 games is bordering elite! He should start over Ben. <3 Dixon. Gives me a stiffy!

Ha but in all seriousness. I find it weird that McClendon wasn't signed to the roster way earlier in the week. It's not like Dixon will ever play again this year.

Blazedby92
10-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Who cares? He's the quarterback of the future! Obviously his performance in the last 2.25 games is bordering elite! He should start over Ben. <3 Dixon. Gives me a stiffy!

Ha but in all seriousness. I find it weird that McClendon wasn't signed to the roster way earlier in the week. It's not like Dixon will ever play again this year.

:gal:

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2010, 11:09 AM
I will say that with Hoke out, the Ravens will have an advantage on the O-line against or D=line. I really want to win this game and get into the bye week. Get everyone healthy.