PDA

View Full Version : Never too early to talk draft.

Dallas Burgher
09-29-2010, 03:40 PM
I hate to say it but I think we need to spend a first round pick on either OL or middle guard.

The OL doesn't have much talent and Casey isn't getting any younger.

K Train
09-29-2010, 04:53 PM
i been talking about the 2011 draft since the week before the 2010 draft lol

OL is an overrated cliche steeler pick, there just simply isnt the tackle value in the first round. FS, MLB, CB and DLine are more plentiful in this draft.

Ideally im saying the best second half of the draft prospect (considering im sure thats where we'll be picking at this rate)

Round 1:

CB- Prince Amukamara/Aaron Williams/Ras-I Dowling (FS?) could all be there, one probably wont (say we pick around 25) i think Peterson and Prince are top 10-15 guys

FS- Rahim Moore or Deunta Williams

OL- MAYBE gabe carimi but hes more of a 2nd round RT to me, but Mike Pouncey im sure will get some looks...hes half the man maurkice is as a center but hes a great guard and hes played with his brother his whole life clearly theres an unreal amount of chemistry there.

MLB- I personally love Don'ta Hightower, he would complement timmons very well as a hammer in the middle and an excellent pass rusher from the middle. Hes better than Mcclain, Maualuga and Spikes, i loved all those guys. Not nearly the player willis is/was, but still he might be a MLB worthy of a late first round pick (something i didnt think lauarnitis or poz were)

WR...dont sleep on getting one of the big 4 if they are there ( i think its more of a big 3 because baldwin isnt that good) but i would love everyone to get down on Julio Jones and let him fall into our lap.

Dline- Love me some Jerrell Powe as a 34 NT, hes a ****ing house. Allen bailey could thrive as a 34 RE, hes a guy that could get some serious pressure from that spot and play the run pretty well. Dareus im sure will be gone by then though

2nd-Mid round guys i like:

Deandre Brown WR
Kendrick Ellis NT/DE
Phil Taylor NT
Curtis Brown- CB
Kris Odowd C/G
Noel Devine <3<3<3
Demarcus Love OT

Ill have more later as far as late rounders go, im at work this if off the top of my head lol

darnik44
09-29-2010, 08:36 PM
I have your boy Hightower bumped down to #88 overall. I can't for the life of me find what you see in him. If he doesn't start hustling a little bit I'll be bumping him out of the top 100. Slow, lazy, and lacking instincts isn't a good combination for a LB, especially a Steelers LB. He can hit, I'll give him that. Just as long as the ball carrier isn't coming right at him, he's not so tough then.

In reality, he's likely going to still be playing for Alabama next year. The advisory committee will probably give him a 4th round grade.

super cleats
09-30-2010, 03:38 PM
i like rahim moore (this draft) and allen bailey (this draft) but i want robert sands in 2012 draft.

a defensive end or safety is our #1 need.

it's good if we spend 1st round picks on different positions each year, gives some evening out it's depth across the team.

darnik44
09-30-2010, 08:03 PM
i like rahim moore (this draft) and allen bailey (this draft) but i want robert sands in 2012 draft.

a defensive end or safety is our #1 need.

it's good if we spend 1st round picks on different positions each year, gives some evening out it's depth across the team.

Defensive end? Why do you consider that a big need? There's not even a spot for first round pick Ziggy Hood. Nick Eason has been solid too.

super cleats
10-01-2010, 05:45 AM
Defensive end? Why do you consider that a big need? There's not even a spot for first round pick Ziggy Hood. Nick Eason has been solid too.

age... ziggy is the only real young one, of course there is mclendon but tell me, you would pass up allen bailey from miami if he fell to us?

i also like mark barron

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aela1rdtS8rO/x610.jpg

darnik44
10-02-2010, 08:24 AM
age... ziggy is the only real young one, of course there is mclendon but tell me, you would pass up allen bailey from miami if he fell to us?

i also like mark barron

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aela1rdtS8rO/x610.jpg

It would depend on who was still on the board. The Steelers have and always will draft value that fits a need, and not strictly need. I realize age is an issue to some degree with the DE position, but the same factor at NT would trump DE. I think Keisel has a lot left in the tank, and there's no indication Smith isn't going to be back and playing at a high level once again next season. While the Steelers do a good job of staying ahead of their needs by drafting players and developing them for the future to fill a need when the time is right, they have to be careful to not bring somebody in too early.

JensK
10-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Personally, i am having a big big crush on Phil Taylor. I like Ras-i a lot too.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Baldwin is that good its not his fault his QB sucks balls........Baldwin will be the best pro of the four just watch.......I like Michael Floyd a ton to.........

K Train
10-02-2010, 03:43 PM
baldwin is so stiff and lacks quickness for a WR even at his size, he looks slow and retarded in and out of his cuts. good straight line speed but the fitzgerald and calvin comparsions some throw around are premature.

floyd, jones and green dont have world beaters getting them the ball either

darnik44
10-03-2010, 11:55 AM
baldwin is so stiff and lacks quickness for a WR even at his size, he looks slow and retarded in and out of his cuts. good straight line speed but the fitzgerald and calvin comparsions some throw around are premature.

He is a bit stiff and does lack some quickness, but no more than Michael Floyd. They both have terrific hands, but Baldwin would smoke him in a race. Also, Baldwin is from Aliquippa and Aliquippa players turn out.

Baldwin is Calvin Johnson 2.0 (poor man's version though)

My outlook on Baldwin as a pro is to have seasons with around 50-60 catches, 850-950 yards, and 9-12 TD's. The TD catches will be what earns his pay check. He's also a solid blocker.

K Train
10-03-2010, 12:07 PM
yeah i agree about floyd, i think floyd is much much more polished though. im jus not buying the baldwin hype at the moment

Black@Gold Forever32
10-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Dayne Crist is much better then Tino Sunseri.....lol Greg McElroy won't be nothing as an NFL QB but you can't argue the success he has had a collegiate QB......I'm just saying I think Baldwin would have much better stats if he were on Bama or even Notre Dame.........

I don't think Baldwin compares to Fitz or even Calvin....I think of Baldwin as a poor mans Brandon Marshall.......

You're right Ktrain Baldwin might not score high on some of the individual drills at the combine but combine results don't always make a football player.......We just to have to wait and see.....I'm a Baldwin homer I admit.....:lol:

K Train
10-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Dayne Crist is much better then Tino Sunseri.....lol Greg McElroy won't be nothing as an NFL QB but you can't argue the success he has had a collegiate QB......I'm just saying I think Baldwin would have much better stats if he were on Bama or even Notre Dame.........

I don't think Baldwin compares to Fitz or even Calvin....I think of Baldwin as a poor mans Brandon Marshall.......

You're right Ktrain Baldwin might not score high on some of the individual drills at the combine but combine results don't always make a football player.......We just to have to wait and see.....I'm a Baldwin homer I admit.....:lol:

the last thing you said though, combine scores dont make a football player. baldwin to me looks like a classic athlete thats playing football, not a "football player" by that definition. hes got good bod control and hes huge but i think hes clearly 4th of the WRs, maybe even 5th.. i think he should stay this year and have a chance of being the #1 or 2 guy next year

nuclearchihuahuas
10-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes, this is totally irrational but after the rats game, I hope we draft a fg kicker in the earlier rounds

Farrior Fan
10-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes, this is totally irrational but after the rats game, I hope we draft a fg kicker in the earlier rounds

I still love the Sepulveda pick a few years ago. Get a player that can secure a position for 10+ years and help in critical situations. There is a reason that when good teams get a good kicker/punter they hold onto them for forever.

I used to love Reed but I'm totally and completely over that. I forgave him after the start of last season (he lost the Bears game for us and another one that I can't recall right now) but I can only give so many free passes. Franchise player MY *** :cursin:

darnik44
10-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Well if it's a kicker you want, check out Miami's Matt Bosher. Most consider UCLA's Kai Forbath the top kicker in the country, but I disagree. Aside from being a good FG and kickoff guy, he's also Miami's punter and a very good one. I'm not saying he would be a punter for the Steelers, but it's nice insurance to have if Sepulveda were to go down during a game (like already happened once). I liked Bosher, then I saw him live at the Pitt/Miami game. The ball just jumps off his foot.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Well if it's a kicker you want, check out Miami's Matt Bosher. Most consider UCLA's Kai Forbath the top kicker in the country, but I disagree. Aside from being a good FG and kickoff guy, he's also Miami's punter and a very good one. I'm not saying he would be a punter for the Steelers, but it's nice insurance to have if Sepulveda were to go down during a game (like already happened once). I liked Bosher, then I saw him live at the Pitt/Miami game. The ball just jumps off his foot.

That is a very good point Darnik about Bosher.....D-Sep is having a great year but like you said if he did happen to get hurt during a game then the Steelers would be screwed.......I would be all for the drafting of Bosher.....I'm tired of Reed and he isn't worth the money him and his agent are seeking......

Of course kicking field goals is always tricky in Heinz Field but you would have to start grooming a replacement for Reed some time what better time then next year with a guy that can kick field goals and kick-off.....then incase of injury to Sepulveda be the punter to.........

darnik44
10-06-2010, 08:15 AM
That is a very good point Darnik about Bosher.....D-Sep is having a great year but like you said if he did happen to get hurt during a game then the Steelers would be screwed.......I would be all for the drafting of Bosher.....I'm tired of Reed and he isn't worth the money him and his agent are seeking......

Of course kicking field goals is always tricky in Heinz Field but you would have to start grooming a replacement for Reed some time what better time then next year with a guy that can kick field goals and kick-off.....then incase of injury to Sepulveda be the punter to.........

That's the thing about Reed. He's perhaps the only kicker on this earth who understands how to kick at Heinz Field. He's a clown, there's no question. But I do think the Steelers could have handled things better with him. Such an issue was made about his kick off's and it was warented. You have to give him credit for working on the problem and correcting it. As far as his misses go this year, I think he has to be given the benefit of the doubt because of the distance and situation.

andyg1984
10-07-2010, 03:23 PM
darnik, don't you think though after watching what happened with smith going down last year and the progress (or lack thereof) of ziggy that we could use another DE?

seems like there are four guys who can come in and play that rare position this year ..

value arguments aside, you really don't see it as a need ?

darnik44
10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
darnik, don't you think though after watching what happened with smith going down last year and the progress (or lack thereof) of ziggy that we could use another DE?

seems like there are four guys who can come in and play that rare position this year ..

value arguments aside, you really don't see it as a need ?

It's definetly a need, I think you could find a need at just about every position/area. I just don't think it would take priority over LT, NT, ILB, or FS/SS. One could also argue that the need at OG is atleast equal to the need at DE.

andyg1984
10-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I would say need is (in no particular order) .. FS, CB, DE.. but LT/ILB/NT/WR would be nice .. OG i am not worried about .. i would really like to see a more threatening #2 RB too ..

i just think that 3-4 DE is such a huge $ position in the league now going forward that we would be lucky to come away with one of the top 4 at that spot THIS YEAR in the 1st with as good as we are playing right now ..

cmerrifield
10-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I am not sure we are going to resign Colon, so I think OT will be a need.

igor0190
10-08-2010, 04:42 PM

I'm hoping that because of his injury other teams don't chase him. Colon back at RG with Flo at RT would be beastly!

jpele
12-11-2010, 05:55 PM

I'm hoping we let Willie walk,I just don't see a lineman coming back from an Achillies injury and playing they same as he did prior to the injury,plus I thought he was nothing more than average before.

I would love for the Steelers to pick OT Derek Sherrod or Demarcus Love in the draft.

playboy pryor
12-11-2010, 07:48 PM
DE should be our first choice. Eason, Hoke, and Keisel are up there in age. Steelers can find a good CB in the third round.

Phdboy2020
12-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I think we need to get a DB and NT with our first two picks. I really like Drake Nevis(DT LSU) as a replacement for Hampton with our first round selection and a corner such as Jimmy Smith(CB Colarado) or Chimdi Chekwa(CB OSU) to help our secondary with our second round selection. Safety and O-Line need to be our 3rd and 4th round picks.