PDA

View Full Version : Batch will remain starter vs. Ravens

Steel Trap86
09-28-2010, 07:34 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin probably wishes his quarterback decision had been this easy all season.

Charlie Batch, buried so deep on the Steelers' depth chart that he barely practiced during training camp, will start Sunday's AFC North game against the Baltimore Ravens. Batch hasn't started successive games since midway through 2005, when Ben Roethlisberger had a right knee injury.

Batch started Sunday at Tampa Bay only because Dennis Dixon had left knee surgery last week and Byron Leftwich was recovering from a left knee injury. Yet Batch completed 12 of 17 passes for 186 yards and three touchdowns -- his first scoring passes since 2007.

Leftwich, expected to start throughout Roethlisberger's four-game suspension, is healthy, but Tomlin said Tuesday that Batch earned the right to remain in the lineup. He did it through his play -- he's 4-1 as a fill-in starter since joining the Steelers in 2002 -- and through his perseverance.

Batch played only one game the previous two seasons because of injuries, and his perceived fragility was partly why Tomlin started the inexperienced Dixon in the first two games. Batch declined to criticize the decision, nor did he complain when it seemed likely the Steelers (3-0) would cut him before Leftwich was hurt during the Sept. 2 preseason finale.

"Guys have a great deal of confidence in him," Tomlin said. "He's a man who's taken advantage of an opportunity, and you've got to be happy for him. It's an awesome lesson learned for our young players, one I hope they're taking heed to. This league is about perseverance, this profession is about perseverance and taking advantage of opportunities when they're given. He's given them a shining, clear-cut example of that at this juncture."

Tomlin isn't second-guessing his decision to start Dixon during tight victories over the Atlanta Falcons (15-9) and Tennessee Titans (19-11), even though Batch threw Pittsburgh's first three TD passes of the season. Batch also looked more polished and comfortable than Dixon.

Dixon will be out for up to six weeks, but the Steelers don't plan to put him on the injured reserve list.

Roethlisberger is eligible to return to practice next week, when the Steelers have a bye. He will start Oct. 17 against the Cleveland Browns.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ae8712/article/steelers-will-start-batch-again-at-qb-vs-ravens?module=HP_headlines

Flacco isn't going to put up more then 10-14 points if that. Ravens have a weak secondary right now, so if "air batch" can throw it out like he did against the Bucs, Wallace will have another huge game and we shouldn't have any problems going 4-0. Ray Rice is questionable for this game too, not that he's much of a threat against this D right now anyway.

75Steeler
09-28-2010, 07:43 PM
If we look anywhere near as good this Sunday as we did last Sunday the Ravens shouldn't be a problem. I can't wait to see Charlie take the field again. This is one of the biggest stories in the NFL right now. The hometown boy saves the day when the younger guys went down to injury. This is classic! We go 4 and 0 then Ben comes back just in time to feed the Browns a huge loss. That will warm him up for big games on the road against the Dolphins, Saints and the Bengals. I really like the way this season is shaping up for us.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Starting Batch is a no brainer; he's got the hot hand and he played well enough to earn this second opportunity. I like how Tomlin has handled this whole situation over the last 4 weeks. Taking it 1 week at a time and not committing himself to 1 guy or another until the days leading up to the next game.

There is no blueprint on how to handle a situation like this so it's been a learning curve for everyone. I didn't really care much for how the whole situation panned out in the last preseason game but all in all it worked out in the end so that's all that matters.

SteelerEyeZ
09-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I love this...Batch is gonna have another great game I feel it (as long as the O-line plays well) the thing i Like is that he is smart enough to throw it away. Remember we don't need to score on every drive....its a game of field position. Also a home game against the browns is gonna be good for Ben. and i love having Ben at qb on that 3 road game streak we have coming up...gonna be fun to watch....

Go Steelers

SteelJunkie
09-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Well I'm just hoping for close to what Cleveland rush for. With Ed Reed still on the PUP list it helps the passing alot.

SteelerEyeZ
09-28-2010, 10:47 PM
I think a HUGE thing for Batch will be MILLER!!!!!! He needs to be used more, anyone agree?

DanRooney
09-28-2010, 11:01 PM
I highly doubt Batch will have a great game against one of the best defenses in the league. Hopefully he can open things up for Mendenhall though.

JensK
09-29-2010, 02:56 AM
He is not going to air it out like against Bucs. Bucs literally had no passrush at all. Batch is going to have people in his head all day long against Ravens.

coldrolled
09-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Our OC needs to dial up a real solid game plan this week.

look at the Charlie Weiss KC offense, a few new rookies this year and Cassell has time to pass. is it mccluster or Weiss? Like day and night from last year.

92_is_gonna_kill_you
09-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I highly doubt Batch will have a great game against one of the best defenses in the league. Hopefully he can open things up for Mendenhall though.

Well, if the Ravens have a weakness on their defense, its their secondary. If this O-line can buy Charlie time when he needs it the most, we just might see a couple flashes of "Air Batch" again.