PDA

View Full Version : As The Ben Returns

SteelDad
09-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Over the last weeks and especially following our first 3 games now I cannot count how many times I have read "But when Ben comes back" or "We'd have scored way more points if Ben were playing today." The reason we need to be cautious is that you know and I know Ben will make mistakes when he returns. Yes he will have an extra week with the team on the bye, but we also know practice is nothing like real-game speed. Will Ben make a difference in this team when he returns? Does a bear poop in the woods? Of course he'll make a difference but we Steelers' fans must not expect the Super Bowl trophy to be handed to us upon his arrival. We must support him and welcome him back with the understanding that he is going to make poor plays just as he always has at times. Charlie Batch was great against the Bucs, but the people calling in to the post-game shows saying we need to stay with the ‘hot hand’ had me bashing my head against the wall.

Roethlisberger has brought tremendous shame on himself, our team and the city of Pittsburgh. There are many out there who regardless of their allegiance to the Steelers will never support Ben again and this is their right. Too often in this country we have seen many of our ‘heroes’ or ‘idols’ fall from grace only to recover in time and once again be welcomed back with open arms. Pete Rose did the unthinkable in baseball yet the vast majority of fans want him in the Hall of Fame. Kobe Bryant was accused of rape but is now a 5-time NBA Champ with a top-selling jersey. And what of a guy like Alex Rodriguez who is caught cheating yet is still applauded for helping his team to a title? The biggest factor in all these cases is time. The more time people have to think about the issues and sift through the evidence and charges, the more time they have to forget and forgive. Let’s remember that when Ben throws that first pick or loses that first game. Yes, he has put us through a very difficult time, but the only way we as fans are successful is for our team to be successful and that rides on the shoulders of #7.

Marc Uhlmann
www.steeleraddicts.com

SteelerEyeZ
09-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Great write up

I totally agree, put one thing i do expect is for the father of defense to keep this D playing the way they are. Ben is a great addition to this team that is already strong but in my eyes there is something special about this D. Not only the starts but everyone!

SnakeEyes43
09-27-2010, 12:35 AM
Great read. I agree that Ben has a lot to prove, and I feel like he will not let us down again. I support him now, and always have, a 100% of the way. What he did was wrong and extremely stupid, but people make mistakes, and people can change. Lets hope he has.

75Steeler
09-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Great read SteelDad! I just don't see us loosing to the Browns his first week back in action. :lol:

SteelDad
09-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Great read. I agree that Ben has a lot to prove, and I feel like he will not let us down again. I support him now, and always have, a 100% of the way. What he did was wrong and extremely stupid, but people make mistakes, and people can change. Lets hope he has.

Great write up

I totally agree, put one thing i do expect is for the father of defense to keep this D playing the way they are. Ben is a great addition to this team that is already strong but in my eyes there is something special about this D. Not only the starts but everyone!

Thanks a lot. You are both so accurate in what you wrote. I really think he's going to return and be as good as ever, but I felt compelled to write the article because we all know how fickle fans can be. People will look for anything to jump on him for and that concerns me especially with us off to such a great start.

KemoTherapy
09-27-2010, 12:12 PM
It's Ariens play calling that I'm worried about when Ben returns not Ben himself. I think Ben could roll out of bed in the middle of April and go out and be comfortable in a game.

SteelDad
09-27-2010, 09:30 PM
It's Ariens play calling that I'm worried about when Ben returns not Ben himself. I think Ben could roll out of bed in the middle of April and go out and be comfortable in a game.

I can't argue with that. I worry that Arians will be like a kid in the candy store when Ben returns.