PDA

View Full Version : Can the Steelers REALLY beat Baltimore in week 4?

92_is_gonna_kill_you
09-23-2010, 10:47 AM
So, I've been seeing a lot of statements like "If we just go 3-1 until Ben comes back" a lot since the start of the season, with the presumption that that 1 loss will be against Baltimore.

But I started thinking, "Well, the Jets & Bengals held the Ravens to 10 points." And I'll give credit to them (which is very hard to do, especially with the Bungals), the Jets & Bengals have top-10 defenses. But this Steeler defense (as of right now) is in a league of its own. This D made Matt Ryan & Michael Turner look mediocre in week 1 (when Atlanta scored 41 points in week 2), shut down Chris Johnson when he had (I think) 12 straight games with 100+ yards rushing, and made Titans coach Jeff Fisher bench Vince Young for Kerry Collins, who was washed up before Vince was even considered for a Heisman trophy at Texas! (and to keep things in perspective, Tennessee scored 38 points in week 1 - yes, it was against the Raiders but that's still a lot)

If you really think about it, just how much better is Baltimore's offense than Atlanta's or Tennessee's? Baltimore's scored 20 points in 2 games& they have all the weapons you can think of. Why can't this trend continue when they play Pittsburgh? If Cincinnati can hold Baltimore to 10 points, then Pittsburgh should give up less, because there's no way Cincy's D is any better than Pittsburgh's.

Now, I know what you're probably thinking - "Our offense blows right now." Well... yeah. I won't dispute that. I know there's both Batch haters & Byron haters, and sure I'll admit both are limited, but they don't make many mistakes either. We don't need them to win games for us - that's what our D is for.

If Pittsburgh's defense gives up, at most, 13 points against Baltimore, then our offense, as limited as it is, I think can at least muster up 14 points (heck, we scored 15 & 19 points so far in weeks 1 & 2). It doesn't sound pretty, but I'll take an ugly win over a beautiful loss.

So, am I right on the money or a nutcase?

Author's note: Yes, I'm perfectly aware that Pittsburgh plays Tampa Bay next week. Quite frankly, Tampa Bay sucks. IMO this is a glorified preseason game. I don't care if they're 2-0, they beat scrubs. ... ... ... And don't chastise me for looking past the Bucs, either! If the Steelers lose, then you can give me all the hell you want. But I really doubt they will. So do me a favor and lets just say they hypothetically beat Tampa Bay.

LatrobePA
09-23-2010, 10:51 AM
We need to score on their very good defense...That's the diffrence!

There's no guarantee we'll win this week, so 1 week at a time bud!

TampaSteelGirl
09-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Why not..Cincy did....

92_is_gonna_kill_you
09-23-2010, 11:37 AM
There's no guarantee we'll win this week, so 1 week at a time bud!

:banging:

So do me a favor and lets just say they hypothetically beat Tampa Bay.

nuclearchihuahuas
09-23-2010, 11:48 AM
I think its possible. Cincy won on nothing but FGs and that does seem to be our specialty this month. So, I say we run a 'blue light special' on FGs and get at least 6 of them in the game--should be enough to win...of course if the defense wants to strip the ball and score a defensinve TD or a safety or two, I certainly would not complain! :tt02:

xxxsteelernation
09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I never really take what the bleacher report say's for granted but one of the articles did bring up an important point.
Keys to the Upset

" If Tampa Bay can take an early lead and make the Steelers have to pass to come back. Then this game gets interesting.

SHOCKER METER

Five. Because it will be close. I want to pick the young Buccaneers, but Pittsburgh has been playing the three yards and a cloud of dust game for much longer."

If our d does have a bad game against freeman and the bucs, with batch behind center would we be able to catch back up, i know we resigned lefty, but that doesn't really comfort me either.

--- Added 9/23/2010 at 10:05 AM ---

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/470316-nfl-picks-week-3-10-shockers-youll-never-see-coming#page/3

steelcitysfinestXL
09-23-2010, 12:10 PM
If our d does have a bad game against freeman and the bucs, with batch behind center would we be able to catch back up...
--- Added 9/23/2010 at 10:05 AM ---

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/470316-nfl-picks-week-3-10-shockers-youll-never-see-coming#page/3

NO! Not with Batch, more than 10 points... i say NO! We need to score first here IMO!

Sir Blitzelot
09-23-2010, 12:20 PM
If the Steelers fall behind by more than 10, I think they could come from behind. It would be difficult though. Mendenhall would have to have a great game and the defense would have to force turnovers, to give Batch a shortened field.

92_is_gonna_kill_you
09-23-2010, 12:21 PM
NO! Not with Batch, more than 10 points... i say NO! We need to score first here IMO!

Agreed. This is a situation where we need to strike first blood, then have control of the clock the rest of the game. We need to win the time of possession battle.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Of course it's possible, it's not like we never beat them. Im worried about getting past the Bucs right now. We'll deal with the Ratbirds when the time comes. It will be as ugly a contest as it ever was. Bodies will be flying around, injuries will be happening left and right, the big hits will be non stop.

All we have to do is continue to play defense and ST like we have been and just hope that our offense can score a couple TD's. Plus we don't know who will be the QB, Tomlin has only said Batch is the guy for this week.

coldrolled
09-23-2010, 12:44 PM
i am waiting for the browns to beat them this week... take no prisoners brownies. you can do it..... :lol:

SteelerEyeZ
09-23-2010, 01:04 PM
I have a little faith that we can come back from behind 2 TDs at half:

My thoughts
A) We Could have a defensive TD: we haven't seen that yet, come on guys i know you remember Troy running one back against the Rat birds in the AFC Championship game: def could see that happening
B) Special teams is actually Special this year: I had NO faith last year but this year I see good things which makes me think hell if Cribbs can do it so many times why cant our fast young returners
C) Batch last game threw the ball very well, The receivers just did not catch it, there was 2x he threw for 15 plus yards and it hit the WR/TE in the hands, if Batch makes the toss they have to catch ti
D) Tampa's starting Safety i believe was just suspended for the season for violating the drug code, Now we all know Batch wont be tossing 40 plus yarders to Wallace but it makes the field a little more level
E) Batch goes come through when we need it, I know his last start was years ago but he has been around and know what to do and not to do

those are some reason I think we can come back from behind BUT i would much rather just start off ahead and with at least 1 offensive TD " We have not scored and offensive TD in regulation yet" lol

Hey 2-0 is 2-0 no matter how you get there

Go Steelers!!!

xxxsteelernation
09-23-2010, 01:30 PM
But what are the odds of us going 4 and 0 till ben gets back or do we lose to the ratbirds. the way that cincy handled the ratbirds gives me hope.

Layin the wood
09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Lets get past the Bucs first,but i do think we can beat the Ratbirds!! I'll be at the game cheering like hell for the defense to put a beat down on them!!:tt02:

ejsteeler
09-23-2010, 02:17 PM
It's possible we go 4-0 but, not likely. I think we can come behind if needed to beat the bucs. I have more faith in Charlie than most. We'll find out real soon if it is unfounded. He is a good game manager and can pick them apart if needed. The only problem I see is BA calling a ****** game. That will hurt us more than anything. :imho:

igor0190
09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Of course we can beat the Rats week 4... Dixon took them to overtime last year in a game that Troy and I believe Aaron Smith were both not playing. Rats are overrated and overhyped this year.. imo. Everyone is making such a big deal that Boldin and Housh are Ravens and their WR's are so great now... Please.

DanRooney
09-23-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't think there's a chance in hell we beat them. We won't be able to move the ball at all. 3 and outs all game.

We'll hold them to maybe 9. But the score will be 9-3 max.

LatrobePA
09-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Is it possible to spray paint Ben and stick him in BL's uniform for that game???

ejsteeler
09-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Is it possible to spray paint Ben and stick him in BL's uniform for that game???

:hilarious:

super cleats
09-23-2010, 03:15 PM
im going crow shooting this next week, im planning on killing 3 ratbirds at least, thats how many touchdowns i want us to have.

lets go

SteelDad
09-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Football is all about match-ups and turnovers. If we win the turnover battle again and take advantage of the areas where we are clearly better then we'll win. I think you're going to see Charlie play well on Sunday. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he threw a few TD passes. He'll be more comfortable and prepared. As for the Ravens game, I'll worry about that on Sunday at 4:15pm.

BlacknGoldAC
09-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Yes, we can beat them. We almost did with Dixon. Those recievers need a QB that is standing up to throw. Flacco won't be standing at the end of many plays. Kind of the same scenario I envision for this Sunday.

Zachintosh66
09-23-2010, 04:30 PM
lets worry about TB first... we usually drop one to a team we should beat every year, lets take care of biz week 3 first!

LatrobePA
09-23-2010, 04:57 PM
lets worry about TB first... we usually drop one to a team we should beat every year, lets take care of biz week 3 first!

That's what I was saying...No game is a gimme!!

nuclearchihuahuas
09-23-2010, 05:24 PM

That is incredibly tacky....and I am LMAO!!! :haha::haha:

Troyisabeast_43
09-23-2010, 08:16 PM
The Steelers are 9-2 all time against the Ravens at Heinz Field since it opened in 2001. They usually find a way to beat the Ravens in most of those 9 wins in very very close games. Which brings me to Joe Flacco who I believe is going to be the ex-factor once again in the game versus the Ravens next Sunday. He is 0-3 lifetime against the Steelers at Heinz Field and each of those 3 losses have all been close games, and each time Flacco has had a chance to win the game in the end with his arm and each time he has failed and failed miserably. He either took a sack, took a sack for a fumble and a touchdown or threw an interception for a TD. The bottom line is like 32 says time and time again Joe Flacco squats to pee when the game is on the line and until he proves otherwise by actually winning a game with his arm late then my mind will not change. The guy is overrated and you heard it here first he will be the main reason the Ravens fail to win here once again in Pittsburgh in 10 days...

K Train
09-23-2010, 08:42 PM
baltimore just isnt that good so absolutely

LatrobePA
09-23-2010, 09:00 PM
That is incredibly tacky....and I am LMAO!!! :haha::haha:

Yes way lame, but trying to lighten the spirits, Batch can and will win us a couple games...

Zachintosh66
09-23-2010, 09:12 PM
wonder what the record for most QBs to win a game, same season? just saying: Ben, Dixon, Batch beats TB, Lefty beats Balt...

igor0190
09-23-2010, 10:34 PM
baltimore just isnt that good so absolutely

I love hearing that! say it again! lol:tt02:

SteelCityKid5
09-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Hey lets get through week 3

Speeed
09-26-2010, 08:59 PM
I live in Baltimore, and for the most part, the Ravens fans are pinheads(I live just outside of Baltimore). But - I always give the Ravens credit, and I always state this to even the pinheads: The Ravens are always in the game. They can always find a way to keep it close enough and many times win. Stats in their games don't matter.

So, can they beat the Ravens? Easily. But as I said, the Ravens always find a way.

nuclearchihuahuas
09-26-2010, 09:55 PM
I live in Baltimore, and for the most part, the Ravens fans are pinheads(I live just outside of Baltimore). But - I always give the Ravens credit, and I always state this to even the pinheads: The Ravens are always in the game. They can always find a way to keep it close enough and many times win. Stats in their games don't matter.

So, can they beat the Ravens? Easily. But as I said, the Ravens always find a way.

True. Steelers v Ravens is always a black and blue game...I hope the offense is as good against the ravens D as they were against the Bucs D--I know the Steelers Defense will absolutely be ready for this team, especially at home!

steelerschick1220
09-27-2010, 01:01 AM
I think our D is better then theirs and Flacco, god, I just don't get why Ravens fans are so freakin in love with him. He's not that great of A QB imo. If we play a mistake free game on offense and our D plays the way they've played the first three games then I think we win easy. But both teams are always up for these games and most likely it will turn into a slugfest.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Peyton Hillis and the Browns ran all over all game on the Ravens.....I would like to think that Mendenhall and our OL can do the same......Our defense is much better then the Browns........Ray Rice dinged his knee and could be out next week......Really things our lining up really well for the Steelers to start 4-0........

--- Added 9/26/2010 at 11:10 PM ---

and Flacco squats to pee which I see him throwing multi picks next week.......

Steel Trap86
09-27-2010, 01:29 AM
the ravens are over rated this year, yes we can beat them.

my question is can we do it without losing any players