PDA

View Full Version : Harrison fined 5K for sack on Young

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers linebacker James Harrison received bad news and good today from the NFL office.
He was fined $5,000 for body-slamming Tennessee quarterback Vince Young on a sack in the third quarter of the Steelers' 19-11 victory in Nashville Sunday.
And he was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week.
Titans coach Jeff Fisher complained publicly Monday about Harrison's hit on Young. No penalty was called on the play.
"You say if that happened to [Tom] Brady or that happened to so-and-so or so-and-so there would have been seven flags on the field," Fisher said. "Why wasn't there one yesterday? I don't know. Maybe it was the heat."
Asked Wednesday after practice if the hit was worth paying the fine, Harrison said "No!"
Harrison was credited in that game with two sacks, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, one tackle for loss, one quarterback hurry and 11 tackles. His coaches, after viewing tapes, reduced his forced fumbles to one.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10265/1089526-100.stm#ixzz10JmREU00

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Wow, lucky it wasn't Tom Brady or else he might have been suspended...

75Steeler
09-22-2010, 11:05 PM
:haha: I hate it that Harrison has to pay the $5K but it was worth every penny in my opnion to see that slam!

airbrake 1
09-22-2010, 11:07 PM
this has to end...pretty soon any hard hit will draw a penalty and/or a fine ...the game we all love is going to disappear...there was nothing wrong with the hit on young was it brutal yes but illegal no freakin way...

Steel Trap86
09-22-2010, 11:57 PM
:whatever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHUxZ3Z6W0s

Real Deal Steel
09-23-2010, 12:16 AM
this has to end...pretty soon any hard hit will draw a penalty and/or a fine ...the game we all love is going to disappear...there was nothing wrong with the hit on young was it brutal yes but illegal no freakin way...

I agree. The direction the game has been heading the last 5 years especially is disturbing. They are desperately trying to legislate violence out of a violent game.

Sheetz
09-23-2010, 12:35 AM
I hate just about everything Goodell does and this is a good example why. He is fine happy, and he plays favorites. Sadly you're probably right about getting suspended if it was Tom Brady. I hate when people say that it isn't bad to fine the players at will because it goes to a good cause. That attitude is what is hurting our country and hurting the NFL. No one person should be able to take money from the players whenever they feel it's necessary. Of course some of the fines are warranted, but most would agree that alot are not. Sadly this is making the game less exciting, which is the main reason people are interested. It's only going to get worse..

Hard hits shouldn't be fined IMO, cheap or illegal shots should.

EDIT: If it were one of our QBs i'd feel the same. I in fact wouldnt be surprised because of the pass defense of our Oline.

coldrolled
09-23-2010, 01:15 AM
brady may have not got back up on that either, hes a bit older... :lol:

why did 92 get fined. one hit high, low and the other some where in the middle.
shouldnt it be a triple fine..? to make it fair... $1666.66 each.

KSSteelerfan
09-23-2010, 01:40 AM
This is a BS call by the League office....:nono: No way James should have been fined for a legal hit on VY....once more this proves again that Goodell has it out for the Steelers.

Zachintosh66
09-23-2010, 07:57 AM
not a surprise, knew they were gonna get fined when it unfolded... however i was still laughing my *** off

TampaSteelGirl
09-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Im sure it was worth the $5K fine to Harrison....Fisher needs something to complain about...i'm' sure the refs were unfair, we were too hard on his players..blah blah blah...Titans got owned.....STFU Fisher!!!!! :rofl:

Guess now they will start the flag football league in the NFL soon...

LatrobePA
09-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Guess now they will start the flag football league in the NFL soon...

Take the "L" out of flag and now you have it!

ejsteeler
09-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm not surprised, I was waiting for the flag when it happened. I don't agree with the soft a$$ rule and loved the hit, but it was illegal.

92_is_gonna_kill_you
09-23-2010, 10:50 AM
We should start a "Roughing the Passer Fine" fund so James doesn't have to pay for this himself. I'll contribute a few bucks if it means Harrison, Woodley & the rest of our D can sack quarterbacks like they did VY! ;)

LatrobePA
09-23-2010, 11:04 AM
We should start a "Roughing the Passer Fine" fund so James doesn't have to pay for this himself. I'll contribute a few bucks if it means Harrison, Woodley & the rest of our D can sack quarterbacks like they did VY! ;)

lol, I'd hope he can afford the 5/k...

xxxsteelernation
09-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Wait harrison is held on about every play, and the Leauge gripes becuase someone get's bodyslammed. he has to let his frustration out on someone.

--- Added 9/23/2010 at 10:18 AM ---

i've been hearing a lot of guff from this since the game. People sayin if that was ben getting bodyslammed we would be getting pissed about it. And I say this" ben gets knocked around more than any QB in football. Didn't he lead the leauge a couple years ago in sacks by a wide margin. I guarntee that he got bodyslammed in those sacks"

ejsteeler
09-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Wait harrison is held on about every play, and the Leauge gripes becuase someone get's bodyslammed. he has to let his frustration out on someone.

--- Added 9/23/2010 at 10:18 AM ---

i've been hearing a lot of guff from this since the game. People sayin if that was ben getting bodyslammed we would be getting pissed about it. And I say this" ben gets knocked around more than any QB in football. Didn't he lead the leauge a couple years ago in sacks by a wide margin. I guarntee that he got bodyslammed in those sacks"

:yellowthumb:

Layin the wood
09-23-2010, 01:31 PM
I remember listening to Mel Blount talk about the NFL in the 70's and he said that "Football is a physical game, at least it used to be anyway". He is right,football used to be a rough sport but there are to many rules now. QB's are untouchable and the game is geared more for the offenses so the defenses are handcuffed. Maybe thats the way RG wants it but it sure sucks!!! If im the Steelers defense i would keep playing the same way i have for the last 30 years,kick their asses all over the field!!!

SnakeEyes43
09-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Honestly, I thought there was gonna be a flag on the play anyway. It was an awesome sack, but you can't do that to QBs anymore. Sucks. And Fisher is right, if we saw someone do that to Ben, we'd all be pissed off. It didn't get flagged because it was VY. If Brady, Manning, or any other high profile QB got slammed like that there would have been a flag imo.

p.s. Harrison wasn't the only one on that sack. There were two others including Smith. Why did Harrison only get fined? F*ck Goodell.

ejsteeler
09-23-2010, 02:18 PM
p.s. Harrison wasn't the only one on that sack. There were two others including Smith. Why did Harrison only get fined? F*ck Goodell.

Because he was the one that lifted his legs up and tossed him like a rag doll......it was great!!!!

nuclearchihuahuas
09-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Wow, lucky it wasn't Tom Brady or else he might have been suspended...

Are you kidding? They would have sentenced him to a firing squad! Damn fine hit though!

igor0190
09-23-2010, 04:53 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10266/1089859-100.stm

Hines Ward and Kemeoutu were both fined $5,000 for their role in that scuffle. There is no mention of the guy who punched Ward with the ball (Finnegan I believe) or any of the Titans getting fined. I'm just curious, has anyone heard if any Titans got fined? If not, this is complete bullcrap!!! :cursin:

airbrake 1
09-23-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm not surprised, I was waiting for the flag when it happened. I don't agree with the soft a$$ rule and loved the hit, but it was illegal. i'm not really sure what the rule is on this ...isn't a tackle by definition slamming someone to the ground what does the defender have to get his hands on the offensive player and ask him to please go down perhaps they should put air bags in the quarterbacks uniform...football is a violent game when a defense makes a great play only to have it negated because he didn't take the quarterback to the ground gently is the most ridicolous thing i have ever heard..

Because he was the one that lifted his legs up and tossed him like a rag doll......it was great!!!! how else should he have taken him to the ground asked him to please go down or maybe tickle him to he goes down... could you imagine a hard sack on 4th down to win a super bowl, and then the ref throws the flag and says you tackled the quarterback too hard and gives the offense another play only to have the offense throw a touchdown to win the game...overturning a super bowl win on a bull penalty...could you imagine the outrage...i know for one i probably would lynch goodell office if the steelers lost a super bowl on a call like that

Scorp
09-23-2010, 06:44 PM
You never get tired of seeing how great & vicious the Steelers D can be. F-ck the fine. We're still going to send the message that we're back and we're not going to rely on anyother team helping us get in the playoffs. I hope we see another sack like that Sunday.

SnakeEyes43
09-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Hines Ward and Kemeoutu were both fined $5,000 for their role in that scuffle. There is no mention of the guy who punched Ward with the ball (Finnegan I believe) or any of the Titans getting fined. I'm just curious, has anyone heard if any Titans got fined? If not, this is complete bullcrap!!! :cursin:

Finnegan was fined and is appealing it.

lloydfan4life
09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
So let me get this straight.... they fine Harrison for a hit on the quarterback and then in the same breath give him AFC Defensive player of the week?? :rofl: How messed up is that? :duh:

Keep hittin' 'em like that, James! Reminded me of some vintage Steeler Defenses! :cope:

igor0190
09-23-2010, 09:25 PM
could you imagine a hard sack on 4th down to win a super bowl, and then the ref throws the flag and says you tackled the quarterback too hard and gives the offense another play only to have the offense throw a touchdown to win the game...overturning a super bowl win on a bull penalty...could you imagine the outrage...i know for one i probably would lynch goodell office if the steelers lost a super bowl on a call like that

This is exactly why they need to severely tone down the roughing the passer calls during the game. They are influencing the game way too much. Go ahead and review the hits and fine them AFTER the game, but don't leave something like that up to the refs discretion. It is absurd.

I'll use Terrell Suggs (the thug) hit on Carson Palmer... That was complete bullcrap and is EXACTLY why they shouldn't be leaving this in the refs hands. Fines, suspensions for repeat offenders sure... but NOT unnecessary roughness penalties

steelersbabex25
09-24-2010, 11:41 AM
i'm not really sure what the rule is on this ...isn't a tackle by definition slamming someone to the ground what does the defender have to get his hands on the offensive player and ask him to please go down perhaps they should put air bags in the quarterbacks uniform...football is a violent game when a defense makes a great play only to have it negated because he didn't take the quarterback to the ground gently is the most ridicolous thing i have ever heard..

No. There is a difference between a tackle and a body slam. Harrison picked VY up and slammed him on the ground..on his head. They could have easily tackled him without having to body slam him. It was definitely an illegal play and I was extremely surprised that it didn't draw a flag. It was well worth it though :clap:

lloydfan4life
09-24-2010, 02:11 PM
No. There is a difference between a tackle and a body slam. Harrison picked VY up and slammed him on the ground..on his head. They could have easily tackled him without having to body slam him. It was definitely an illegal play and I was extremely surprised that it didn't draw a flag. It was well worth it though :clap:

just as he should have. :woot:

maybe he was thinking about those pansies wearing the powder baby blue uniforms stomping our beloved towel in the ground a few years ago as he was pile driving VY :dunno:

steelersbabex25
09-24-2010, 02:13 PM
just as he should have. :woot:

maybe he was thinking about those pansies wearing the powder baby blue uniforms stomping our beloved towel in the ground a few years ago as he was pile driving VY :dunno:

Oh I have no problem with it at all. Just pointing out that it was illegal.

airbrake 1
09-24-2010, 05:33 PM
wow i can't believe that there are steeler fans on the side that,you should try to take the opposing ballcarrier down gently...what has happened to the nfl...what has happened to the steeler nation ...gentle tackling are you kidding me if you want that there is the pittsburgh passion still playing in this city i believe...there was nothing illegal about that hit, and i don't care if the(NEW) rule book says it was illegal...let's take a poll of past players and see if they think if that play was too brutal, i'll bet they would think it was fine

igor0190
09-24-2010, 07:40 PM
wow i can't believe that there are steeler fans on the side that,you should try to take the opposing ballcarrier down gently...what has happened to the nfl...what has happened to the steeler nation ...gentle tackling are you kidding me if you want that there is the pittsburgh passion still playing in this city i believe...there was nothing illegal about that hit, and i don't care if the(NEW) rule book says it was illegal...let's take a poll of past players and see if they think if that play was too brutal, i'll bet they would think it was fine

:plus1:

It's not Harrisons job to ensure Vince Young or any other QB falls safely. Players land awkwardly all the time. Harrison obviously not intend for VY to fall that way.

steelersbabex25
09-24-2010, 10:04 PM

I mean..think what you want. The fact that the rulebook says that you can't pick a player up and slam them on their heads pretty much says that it was illegal. So..yeah.

airbrake 1
09-24-2010, 11:58 PM
i was just looking over the rule book on the nfl website.i guess that this is not the complete rulebook but what was on there was very vague...it didn't really say anything about slamming someone...neverless after watching the said play about 100 times it looks like to me that young was initially contacted by harrison who resisted going down,then smith and keisel sandwich both of them and it appears that smith and keisel were the ones that lifted both of them(young and harrison)off their feet with harrison holding onto one of young's legs...if anyone were going to be fined it should be smith and keisel becase it looked like they were the ones to get him airbourne...secondly i dont really see how else he could have been brought down all three steelers were pushing in different directions and then the whole pile collapsed...this is getting assinine :you cant go low, you cant lead with your helmet, no helmet to helmet contact, no contact with your hands to the head and i'm sure there are probably a few more...how the hell are they supposed to get these 240+ guys who don't want to be tackled down...mark my words a bull call like this will eventually cost someone a super bowl hopefully it wont be the steelers on the losing end...but some steeler fans seem ok with this over protection of the quarterback , at least until it costs us i guess

JensK
09-25-2010, 04:32 AM
There should not have been a fine, but there should most certainly have been a flag. The rulebook says very clearly that you cannot drive a QB to the ground. That's the rules, and Harrison clearly did that.

I can't say that i would have cared if there was a flag, because it was an AMAZING sack, and i really laughed when i saw it.

igor0190
09-25-2010, 08:43 AM
So let me get this straight... Harrison, Kiesel, and Smith converge on the QB and all have some sort of physical impact on him. These 4 large men (including Vince Young) converge and 3 of the 4 are trying to get 1 man to the ground. He resists. Now what everyone is saying is that it was Harrison's responsibility to make sure Vince Young lands safely with all these factors in play??? That is complete BULLCRAP!
Give your head a shake people. Just because it may be in the rule book doesn't mean it's a good rule or a rule that any football player can follow at all times. :rant2:

steelersbabex25
09-25-2010, 08:55 AM
So let me get this straight... Harrison, Kiesel, and Smith converge on the QB and all have some sort of physical impact on him. These 4 large men (including Vince Young) converge and 3 of the 4 are trying to get 1 man to the ground. He resists. Now what everyone is saying is that it was Harrison's responsibility to make sure Vince Young lands safely with all these factors in play??? That is complete BULLCRAP!
Give your head a shake people. Just because it may be in the rule book doesn't mean it's a good rule or a rule that any football player can follow at all times. :rant2:

Okay putting words in my mouth much... I don't recall saying that it's a good rule. All I said was that it is in the rulebook and it's illegal.

lloydfan4life
09-25-2010, 09:36 AM
wow i can't believe that there are steeler fans on the side that,you should try to take the opposing ballcarrier down gently...

...but some steeler fans seem ok with this over protection of the quarterback , at least until it costs us i guess

and exactly how are you arriving at this conclusion?

igor0190
09-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Okay putting words in my mouth much... I don't recall saying that it's a good rule. All I said was that it is in the rulebook and it's illegal.

I get that... I was just ranting.

I just don't get how a rule like this can be enforced in this kind of situation. So many factors at play. I'm assuming that is why it was only a $5,000 fine and not more. Because they enforced it to the definition in the rule book but at the same time realize that was not Harrisons intent.

airbrake 1
09-25-2010, 11:06 AM
There should not have been a fine, but there should most certainly have been a flag. The rulebook says very clearly that you cannot drive a QB to the ground. That's the rules, and Harrison clearly did that.

I can't say that i would have cared if there was a flag, because it was an AMAZING sack, and i really laughed when i saw it.

and exactly how are you arriving at this conclusion?

there hasn't been many on this site that have sided with this over-protection of the quarterback but in general(that means on facebook and other forums) there's still quite a few people saying that they can understand why the nfl is trying to protect the qb's so strictly. all i'm saying is that this is the most subjective ruling that you can have, damn the referees didn't think it warranted a flag...thers no way players moving at the speed of the game can factor in all the variables of how the quarteback will hit the ground...we are going to start having great defensive plays overturned because of how the qb hits the ground...and the only way things can change in the nfl is when it's customers (that's us) show their displeasure at rules that destroy the game, there is no room for wishy-washiness on this ,the only way these assinine calls stop is we show goodell our displeasure on how the game is being destroyed everyone in lockstep... heres a quote from roger staubach to show where the league is heading:"The statistics today are overwhelming," he said. "I saw Peyton Manning one time and he had a great comeback drive, but he had two 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalties. I'm thinking, 'I don't ever remember having one of those.' It's kind of a wussy game, really, in a way."

--- Added 9/25/2010 at 10:06 AM ---

i just ordered what i'm hoping is the complete2010 nfl rulebook from amazon...this should probably be a cinder block sized book now that roger goodell has his way with the nfl...what i'm really interested is this so called slamming rule,everyone keeps saying slammed on the head, is this the only body part included in the slamming rule...what if someone is slammed on their shoulder or buttocks will this still draw the slamming penalty...and i'm also interested is this seperate from roughing and/or running into the quarterback, they will need a new animation when he calls the penalty out to the crowd, perhaps he could act like he's body slamming someone a.l.a the wwe...the call on the field is slamming 15 yards and loss of down

igor0190
09-25-2010, 11:21 AM
All these roughing the passer rules/judgement calls need to be removed from the rule book and taken out of the refs hands. It is way to subjective and WILL cost some team a big game someday. If the NFL wants to enforce all these roughing the passer scenarios, they should enforce them with fines/suspensions after the game when they can review the tape...

Woodley was fined last year for "slamming" a qb. I can't remember which game though.

JensK
09-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Here is a quote:

In addition to roughing the passer, defensive players cannot strike the quarterback below the knees or in the head. Officials may call a roughing the passer penalty if they feel the quarterback's safety is in jeopardy.

Obviously, that is the case when 3 defensive players is forcing the QBs head towards the ground. Especially with the increasing focus on concussions etc. You can be dead certain that the players have been informed before the season began, that the league will not tolerate that kind of play, no matter how awesome it may look.

edit: All credit goes to Captain Caveman from blogcritiqs.org

Still illegal:

• Late hits.
• Helmet-to-helmet hits.
• Picking up a quarterback up and driving him into the ground.
• Hitting a quarterback in the helmet.
• Hitting a quarterback below the waist.

Newly illegal:

• Hitting a quarterback at all.
• Running at a quarterback in such a manner that may frighten him to throw a bad pass.
• Breathing on a quarterback within five yards of either sideline.
• Failing to yield to a quarterback at an intersection.
• Not being attracted to Tom Brady.
• Damaging a quarterback's spleen beyond repair (AKA the Chris Simms Corollary).
• Making sweet, sweet love to a quarterback, then not offering a reacharound (AKA the Chris Simms Corollary 1A).
• Shaking the quarterback's hand too hard before the game.
• Holding a door open for him.
• Suggesting Brett Favre should retire.
• Taking the quarterback out for a nice seafood dinner, then never calling him again.

Still legal:
• Somersaulting into quarterbacks' knees.
• Hoping the quarterback falls down on his own accord.

While it is pretty funny, the "still illegal" things are spot on.

airbrake 1
09-25-2010, 01:41 PM
All these roughing the passer rules/judgement calls need to be removed from the rule book and taken out of the refs hands. It is way to subjective and WILL cost some team a big game someday. If the NFL wants to enforce all these roughing the passer scenarios, they should enforce them with fines/suspensions after the game when they can review the tape...

Woodley was fined last year for "slamming" a qb. I can't remember which game though.

i totally agree with you on taking the call out of the refs hand on plays that they deem dangerous...the players most times( 99.9%) of the time are not trying to hurt anyone... the plays develop so fast...the only penalty on the field should be late hits on the quarterback... the other slamming type situations should be looked at after the game by a panel of former players and officials to see if the player was intentionally trying to injure someone and if the player could have pulled up then he should be fined...but taking away a great play because someone thinks that he could have hit the qb softer is beyond me...this still is tackle football isn't it

Real Deal Steel
09-25-2010, 01:47 PM
This is just another example of the wussification of this game that's taken place the last 5 years.

igor0190
09-25-2010, 03:09 PM
i totally agree with you on taking the call out of the refs hand on plays that they deem dangerous...the players most times( 99.9%) of the time are not trying to hurt anyone... the plays develop so fast...the only penalty on the field should be late hits on the quarterback... the other slamming type situations should be looked at after the game by a panel of former players and officials to see if the player was intentionally trying to injure someone and if the player could have pulled up then he should be fined...but taking away a great play because someone thinks that he could have hit the qb softer is beyond me...this still is tackle football isn't it

:plus1:
BANG ON