PDA

View Full Version : Batch to start Sunday at Tampa Bay: Jim Wexell's Blog

steelcitysfinestXL
09-22-2010, 05:13 PM
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 22

3:45 p.m.:Mike Tomlin confirmed after practice today that Charlie Batch will start at quarterback for the Steelers Sunday at Tampa Bay.

Batch, 35, has 50 career starts, but none since the final game of the 2007 season when he started at Baltimore and completed 16 of 31 passes for 218 yards, 2 touchdowns, 2 interceptions and a passer rating of 69.0 in a 27-21 loss.

In relief of Dennis Dixon last week, Batch completed 5 of 11 for 25 yards and a

I have to say im not crazy about this what-so-ever! Do i think Chuck will lose the game for us? I doubt it, but i think Leftwhich gives us the best chance to win. Chuck is gonna have to stretch the field early to try and loosen that Defense and give Mende some running room. Im not sure he has those throws left in him.

What i do like about Chuck is his vet knowledge. He can read blitzes, change protections and knows how to beat the blitz and does it well. Hopefully the line can give him time!

K Train
09-22-2010, 05:16 PM
ugh....gonna lose to tampa, ****ing goodell lol

i think he will easily lose the game by holding them back on offense. they are just gonna stack the box and explode after him, theres no threat of him running and they will take away mendenhall. its gonna be a tough one to watch, the defense could play lights out again....the last time batch was serviceable was 2006, he was old back then

Troyisabeast_43
09-22-2010, 05:26 PM
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 22

3:45 p.m.:Mike Tomlin confirmed after practice today that Charlie Batch will start at quarterback for the Steelers Sunday at Tampa Bay.

Batch, 35, has 50 career starts, but none since the final game of the 2007 season when he started at Baltimore and completed 16 of 31 passes for 218 yards, 2 touchdowns, 2 interceptions and a passer rating of 69.0 in a 27-21 loss.

In relief of Dennis Dixon last week, Batch completed 5 of 11 for 25 yards and a

I have to say im not crazy about this what-so-ever! Do i think Chuck will lose the game for us? I doubt it, but i think Leftwhich gives us the best chance to win. Chuck is gonna have to stretch the field early to try and loosen that Defense and give Mende some running room. Im not sure he has those throws left in him.

What i do like about Chuck is his vet knowledge. He can read blitzes, change protections and knows how to beat the blitz and does it well. Hopefully the line can give him time!
More importantly it means that Batch is going to be the starting QB most likely for the game against the Ravens as well here next Sunday which in my opinion is a huge huge game. Im with you that Leftwich does give the Steelers the best chance to get the passing game going, but hopefully after a full week of practice and reps with the first team Batch will be more prepared this week and the Steelers can start throwing the football more then they have been.

K Train
09-22-2010, 05:30 PM
batch showed he clearly cant even make half the throws anymore....if we thought the playbook was limited with dixon, were in for an ugly show with batch.

i cant believe were probably gonna lose to the bucs....just another **** team just like last year, i cant stand this move of starting batch, if leftwich wasnt ready to go they should have brought in someone who could

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't think it means that Charlie will be the guy for the Baltimore game. Tomlin has taken a week to week stance on the starting job since the season started. I think this means that Leftwich needs another week to heal, and then after the Tampa game he will decide who will play QB for the Ravens game. If Byron was going to be out longer, they would have brought in another body by now IMO. Charlie starts this week, Byron is the backup, and then El is the emergency QB.

After that he'll reevaluate and go from there. :2cents:

ejsteeler
09-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm all for it and think it would be crazy to put BL in there until he is over 100% again. Charlie can manage the game for us. I know we won't see the offense we want, but we wouldn't anyway until Ben gets back and going. Good move. :yellowthumb: :cope:

Steel Trap86
09-22-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm saying we probably drop this game on Sunday, if we fall behind early I can't see Tomlin grinding it out like in Tennessee and risking more injuries. Next week is the most important game and whether Batch, Leftwich or f*cking Randle El start at QB, we need to be healthy.

K Train
09-22-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm all for it and think it would be crazy to put BL in there until he is over 100% again. Charlie can manage the game for us. I know we won't see the offense we want, but we wouldn't anyway until Ben gets back and going. Good move. :yellowthumb: :cope:

why would it be crazy? ben come back in 2 weeks, they need to win now, you cant save a backup QB for the future. if leftwich can play he really needs to.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-22-2010, 05:54 PM
ugh....gonna lose to tampa, ****ing goodell lol

i think he will easily lose the game by holding them back on offense. they are just gonna stack the box and explode after him, theres no threat of him running and they will take away mendenhall. its gonna be a tough one to watch, the defense could play lights out again....the last time batch was serviceable was 2006, he was old back then

F*** I HOPE NOT! Charlie is the KING of the checkdown for a reason. He throws lolli-pops out there. Not even good ones like Blow-Pop or Tootsie Pops, MF'ers out there throwing Dum-Dums! He's accurate ill give him that, and he rarely makes dumb throws... But like you said and i have been saying since TC: There is a reason Charlie was #4 on the depth chart. There is ZERO verticle threat to his game. So they are just gonna stuff everyone in the box and try to force Batch to throw deep, which i highly doubt he can.

SnakeEyes43
09-22-2010, 06:05 PM
If the D plays like it has been, then Charlie will just need to avoid turnovers. He can get us into field goal postion, he just might not throw many (if any) Td's. The running game is gonna need to step up this week as well.

Troyisabeast_43
09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
batch showed he clearly cant even make half the throws anymore....if we thought the playbook was limited with dixon, were in for an ugly show with batch.

i cant believe were probably gonna lose to the bucs....just another **** team just like last year, i cant stand this move of starting batch, if leftwich wasnt ready to go they should have brought in someone who could

If the defense continues to dominate and play like they have been these first 2 weeks then Lebeau and this defense will not let a rookie QB like Josh Freeman beat them. Im sorry guys this game might be another ugly game on offense with a lot of FGS and it might take another big special teams return to score some points, but I still do not see the Steelers losing this game it wont happen. If the Steelers really want to try and get this passing game going and look for big plays then how about dressing both Sanders and Brown and hit them with quick 3 step drop slant patterns and tell them to catch the ball and out run the defense which the clearly have the speed and ability to do. Randle El has no ****ing business being the 3rd receiver on this team now period. I dont give a **** how much experience he has and if he is a veteran or whatever garbage reason Tomlin will use. The guy is useless and is not going to contribute anything in the passing game.

K Train
09-22-2010, 06:09 PM
the defense has been playing lights out, but it only takes one drive, or even one play for the other team to get a 7 point lead....and one TD could be too much of a deficit for this offense to overcome

K Train
09-22-2010, 06:13 PM
If the defense continues to dominate and play like they have been these first 2 weeks then Lebeau and this defense will not let a rookie QB like Josh Freeman beat them. Im sorry guys this game might be another ugly game on offense with a lot of FGS and it might take another big special teams return to score some points, but I still do not see the Steelers losing this game it wont happen. If the Steelers really want to try and get this passing game going and look for big plays then how about dressing both Sanders and Brown and hit them with quick 3 step drop slant patterns and tell them to catch the ball and out run the defense which the clearly have the speed and ability to do. Randle El has no ****ing business being the 3rd receiver on this team now period. I dont give a **** how much experience he has and if he is a veteran or whatever garbage reason Tomlin will use. The guy is useless and is not going to contribute anything in the passing game.

mike williams has proved to be badass just like i said he would....and the bucs throw in the towel on the run game early no doubt about it. the bucs do have some weapons though, especially with williams and winslow. the defense can only carry them for so long unless the defense can put up its own points. this offense will be stagnant with batch

steelersbabex25
09-22-2010, 06:19 PM
:cursin::rant2::duh: this is annoying

steelcitysfinestXL
09-22-2010, 06:21 PM
mike williams has proved to be badass just like i said he would....and the bucs throw in the towel on the run game early no doubt about it. the bucs do have some weapons though, especially with williams and winslow. the defense can only carry them for so long unless the defense can put up its own points. this offense will be stagnant with batch

:plus1: Williams is a talent and its MIND BOGGLING how his college situation dropped him THAT low in the draft. Kids gonna be nice. Guys like him, Spurlock and Winslow can make plays. Freenman is a creator so pressuring him does nothing unless you get him to the ground or force him to make mistake, which he hasnt yet.

I love our defense too guys, but to ask/think they can keep this up all season is almost crazy. They could come down a few notches and STILL be tops in the league. Either way this team is gonna be tested sunday unless Charlie can get us into the endzone. Judging by his play at TEN, im not convinced.... PROVE ME WRONG CHUCK!!!!!!!!!!:cope:

K Train
09-22-2010, 06:23 PM
another thing is freeman reminds me of big ben alot in the few times ive watch him, hes not quite the downfield passer but hes definitely someone who can buy time like ben

steelcitysfinestXL
09-22-2010, 06:26 PM
another thing is freeman reminds me of big ben alot in the few times ive watch him, hes not quite the downfield passer but hes definitely someone who can buy time like ben

Yeah i wanted to make that comparison too. You're right though, Freeman is TOUGH to get to the ground. He buys time with his feet, can throw on the run and can take off and get yards. He's a poormans Roethlisberger for sure!

LatrobePA
09-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Batch is lousy....And I still think BL will end up playing Sunday despite these early reports...

DanRooney
09-22-2010, 07:25 PM
I think KTrain has completely lost his mind. Dixon wasn't any better than Batch or vice versa. All 3 suck and it shouldn't even trigger a response to who's named starting quarterback.

And that Freeman-Ben comparison they did on ESPN was ludicrous. Ooo another QB that buys time it reminds me of Ben. No. Josh Freeman is another bottom 5 QB in 3 years time.

ejsteeler
09-22-2010, 07:48 PM
why would it be crazy? ben come back in 2 weeks, they need to win now, you cant save a backup QB for the future. if leftwich can play he really needs to.

I hear what you're saying but, I disagree. I don't see this as a must win. It would certainly put us in a great position but not a must. At this put in the season, we most certainly can save a backup for the future. Charlie is the right choice.
BL goes in and gets busted up, 6 weeks from now Ben has to sit out for whatever reason and we're stuck with a rehab'ing Dixon or Charlie. I think at that point it would be much more important to keep winning. just sayin'......

K Train
09-22-2010, 07:54 PM
I think KTrain has completely lost his mind. Dixon wasn't any better than Batch or vice versa. All 3 suck and it shouldn't even trigger a response to who's named starting quarterback.

And that Freeman-Ben comparison they dude on ESPN was ludicrous. Ooo another QB that buys time it reminds me of Ben. No. Josh Freeman is another bottom 5 QB in 3 years time.

ive never seen that....ive seen him play maybe 3 times and everytime he does some of the same things ben does....i thought freeman was smaller than he is when he came out of college. he sucks at throwing the deep ball but he does move well back there.

and batch is terrible, at least dixon COULD run for his life

srob14
09-22-2010, 10:26 PM
i agree with everybody here BL would be better but obviously he is not even close to 100% or he would be playing. batch will be fine he will manage the game and hopefully like someone said earlier BA lets batch try to go down the field early to wallace to open up the run game. batch can make the throws we just need the receivers to make some plays. on the the other subject of freeman being like ben, thats bull----!

--- Added 9/22/2010 at 08:26 PM ---

and dixon running for his life is what got him hurt, so no matter what our o -line needs to step up and block somebody. its hard though when the opponent knows they have to the stack the box.

SteelDad
09-22-2010, 10:59 PM
F*** I HOPE NOT! Charlie is the KING of the checkdown for a reason. He throws lolli-pops out there. Not even good ones like Blow-Pop or Tootsie Pops, MF'ers out there throwing Dum-Dums! He's accurate ill give him that, and he rarely makes dumb throws... But like you said and i have been saying since TC: There is a reason Charlie was #4 on the depth chart. There is ZERO verticle threat to his game. So they are just gonna stuff everyone in the box and try to force Batch to throw deep, which i highly doubt he can.

Dude, the lolli-pops rant is frickin priceless.:lol:

LatrobePA
09-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Charlie threw a TD last week w/ DD's game plan right? He should of had a couple more completions but they were dropped.

I believe he'll get us a W this weekend. But next week facing the Rats is a diffrent story, gotta get rid of the ball quick, we'll see...

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-23-2010, 12:08 AM

Y are u always so negative dude? Can we have some optimism against the BUCS. Were talking about TAMPA BAY HERE.

steelfury455
09-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Charlie threw a TD last week w/ DD's game plan right? He should of had a couple more completions but they were dropped.

I believe he'll get us a W this weekend. But next week facing the Rats is a diffrent story, gotta get rid of the ball quick, we'll see...

:plus1:

Exactly. CB or Lefty will get rid of the ball quickly and infinitlely more accurate than DD so I don't mind the bandaid for two weeks. I'm sure we'll see Lefty in there at some point as well. BA needs to call two great games but 4-0 is not out of the realm. Alot of us thought 2-2 would be the ceiling but 3-1 is more realistic. I'm just lookin at it as a 4 game season right now. The real season and offense shows up with Ben...

K Train
09-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Y are u always so negative dude? Can we have some optimism against the BUCS. Were talking about TAMPA BAY HERE.

did optimism help when they lost to the chiefs, raiders and BROWNS last year? the bucs could very well beat the steelers without ben

Real Deal Steel
09-23-2010, 01:20 AM
I don't think it means that Charlie will be the guy for the Baltimore game. Tomlin has taken a week to week stance on the starting job since the season started. I think this means that Leftwich needs another week to heal, and then after the Tampa game he will decide who will play QB for the Ravens game. If Byron was going to be out longer, they would have brought in another body by now IMO. Charlie starts this week, Byron is the backup, and then El is the emergency QB.

After that he'll reevaluate and go from there. :2cents:

I disagree with this. We need Batch to start the Ravens game. Why?? Because Batch can move in the pocket and senses the rush better then Leftwhich.

Batch is going to have to keep some plays alive against the Ravens and that isn't something Lefty can do. I'm glad Batch is the starter against the Bucs. Good tune up for the Ravens game.

K Train
09-23-2010, 01:31 AM
thats an example of REALLY underestimating leftwich....his immobility has become overrated at this point. yeah hes got heavy feet but hes pretty nimble sometimes and definitely more mobile than batch....hes not exactly pennington or bledsoe back there

DanRooney
09-23-2010, 03:35 AM
thats an example of REALLY underestimating leftwich....his immobility has become overrated at this point. yeah hes got heavy feet but hes pretty nimble sometimes and definitely more mobile than batch....hes not exactly pennington or bledsoe back there

Dude I wish Pennington was our starting QB for the next 2 weeks. I guarantee you we'd see better results with him than with the Dixon/Batch combo.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-23-2010, 08:35 AM

And that Freeman-Ben comparison they did on ESPN was ludicrous. Ooo another QB that buys time it reminds me of Ben. No. Josh Freeman is another bottom 5 QB in 3 years time.

Dont watch espn (maybe game day for about 3 minutes) so i didnt see that either. IF you watched Freeman play at all you'd see where he draws comparison with his style of play. The way he creates with his legs, avoid pressure and makes throws on the run is only comparable to Ben. I knew someone would blow this out of proportion (no suprise it was you) thats why i didnt say it... thanks K for taking the heat on that one!

While i think we can win, this team has to have the same mindset it has had the first 2 weeks. We all know what happened last year so yes this is some cause for concern here IMO. the fact that TB is 2-0 should help the steelers realize they CAN win games. While i think this is gonna be a W for the Steelers, its by no mean a easy one just cause it "against the BUCS!"

Im done trying to explain why Leftwhich is the best capable QB we have on this squad... its lost on most people. Because he cant take off and run for 30 yards all of a sudden he is completely useless. The only thing slow about leftwhich IN THE POCKET is his wind up style throwing. If ANY OF you Lefty bashers even commented on that i'd give you credit. He makes quick decisions and gets the ball to his man in a hurry, hense the reason he doesnt take alot of sacks or miss open WR's.

Dude I wish Pennington was our starting QB for the next 2 weeks. I guarantee you we'd see better results with him than with the Dixon/Batch combo.

You cant be serious... oh my god you were!

DanRooney
09-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Yeah Romo extended the play doing with his legs and was compared to Ben early in his career. Matt Ryan did the same thing at BC and was compared to Ben by Kiper. Fast forward a couple of years an both of these guys are nothing like him.

Let me know when Josh Freeman is able to shrug off Trevor Pryce or Suggs when he has him by the head and then make a big play down field.

You were advocating starting Leftwich over Pat White (yes that's his name now)? I thought I was the only one to do that in this group and I got mad heat from it. Turned out I was 100 percent about Pat White.

And you guys can't be serious about Pat White being a better QB than Pennington.

ejsteeler
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Im done trying to explain why Leftwhich is the best capable QB we have on this squad... its lost on most people. Because he cant take off and run for 30 yards all of a sudden he is completely useless. The only thing slow about leftwhich IN THE POCKET is his wind up style throwing. If ANY OF you Lefty bashers even commented on that i'd give you credit. He makes quick decisions and gets the ball to his man in a hurry, hense the reason he doesnt take alot of sacks or miss open WR's.

I agree about that, BL would be a better option if he were 100%. I just think we need to let him heal. Not a must win by any stretch. If it was, I'd be all for him in there.

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
did optimism help when they lost to the chiefs, raiders and BROWNS last year? the bucs could very well beat the steelers without ben

Exactly... LAST YEAR. have you seen our D this year compared to last year?

coldrolled
09-23-2010, 03:59 PM
should be a lot of black and gold at the tampa game.

Bucs Can't Avoid Another Blackout
Being 2-0 and hosting one of the NFL's most popular franchises was not enough for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to avoid a blackout in Week 3, reports Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times.

According to Holder, thousands of tickets for Sunday's 1pm game remain, enough so that the Buccaneers did not request a 24-hour extension from the NFL.

Once again, Buccaneers fans who choose not to attend Raymond James Stadium will have to wait until 12am ET on Monday, September 27 to be able to watch two of the NFL's 8 remaining undefeated teams square off...on NFL.com.

DanRooney
09-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Hell give me one of those seats at half price I'll drive down there and help try to avoid their blackout.

igor0190
09-23-2010, 04:36 PM
should be a lot of black and gold at the tampa game.

Bucs Can't Avoid Another Blackout
Being 2-0 and hosting one of the NFL's most popular franchises was not enough for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to avoid a blackout in Week 3, reports Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times.

According to Holder, thousands of tickets for Sunday's 1pm game remain, enough so that the Buccaneers did not request a 24-hour extension from the NFL.

Once again, Buccaneers fans who choose not to attend Raymond James Stadium will have to wait until 12am ET on Monday, September 27 to be able to watch two of the NFL's 8 remaining undefeated teams square off...on NFL.com.

WOW!
Don't the Steelers have an unusually strong fan base in the Tampa Bay area???

Hopefully they can take it over and make some noise!! :cope:

What teams have the easiest stadiums for Steeler Fans to take over? Somewhere close like Detroit?? Where was the most impressive display of Steeler fans you've seen in an away stadium? I seem to remember a lot in Washington the other year?

pontiacbubba
09-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Hmmm 6-8 hour drive to Tampa....I sense a road trip!

And yes Batch did have a TD pass over 10 yards that was called back due to holding. If he can move the chains(Which we haven't been doing, so not gonna hold my breath ),it could give the defence a little bit of breather. Weather is going to be hot again and most likely we'll be in the black uniforms. So the breather will help the us maintain the lights out energy.
All I know is if the defence can keep this up and Ben comes back!? Imagine how many points we could've got from 7 turn overs?

JensK
09-24-2010, 01:50 PM
With our schedule starting to get really tough when Ben returns, we really need to win these manageable games against Tampa... Most have really been said already, but i really do feel like this is a must-win game, as i'll guarantee that wins wont come easy after Ben returns.

K Train
09-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Exactly... LAST YEAR. have you seen our D this year compared to last year?

yeah i agree but when your offense cant move and 7 points could be considered an insurmountable lead that could make for a problem