PDA

View Full Version : Randle El...

Troyisabeast_43
09-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Maybe it's just me but he just does not look like the same player he was when he with the Steelers when he first began his career. He looks slow on punt returns and so far he is dropping way too many balls for my liking. I really hope the Steelers continue to use Brown and Sanders more and more in the passing game especially when Ben comes back because they are going to need them. Randle El for my money so far is just not cutting it from what I have seen from him in these first 2 games. The Steelers need to start using him less and less as the season goes on and start using Brown and Sanders a lot more.

igor0190
09-20-2010, 11:32 AM
:plus1:

El slower than slow... He looked slow on offense and even slower on punt returns. There is NO quick twitch there at all.
When Brown and/or Sanders get up to speed they HAVE to be used more.

coldrolled
09-20-2010, 11:34 AM
At least have Battle play, is he hurt still?

LatrobePA
09-20-2010, 11:38 AM
ARE is just no good, and it's a shame because there are other players that will run laps around him!

Troyisabeast_43
09-20-2010, 11:40 AM
At least have Battle play, is he hurt still?

I was wondering the same thing Battle can add a lot more in my opinion to the lineup as a receiver then Randle El could...Randle El really adds nothing in my opinion to be quite blunt about it and I think him being in there as the 3rd wide receiver now actually hurts the Steelers passing game more then it helps it. Tomlin at some point needs to realize this and start using Sanders,Brown,and even Battle more then he uses Randle El because right now El is just way too many more touches then he should be getting...

igor0190
09-20-2010, 11:45 AM
1 touch is too many for El...
From what I saw on Sunday there is about 0% chance of El ever breaking a tackle again. He has nothing to offer really. Just a familiar face that the coaches feel comfortable with... They're obsession with experience is coming at the expense of Brown and Sanders.

Big T
09-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Antwaan Randle El and Mewelde Moore should never see another snap as Pittsburgh Steelers. Theyve done some good things for us in the past but right now, they are just liabilities whenever they are on the field.....

coldrolled
09-20-2010, 11:56 AM
1 touch is too many for El...
From what I saw on Sunday there is about 0% chance of El ever breaking a tackle again. He has nothing to offer really. Just a familiar face that the coaches feel comfortable with... They're obsession with experience is coming at the expense of Brown and Sanders.

im all for Brown and Sanders in more, but lets get Sylvester on the field... Sly needs to play more..

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Moore is still a big asset to this team, he's the only back we have with any NFL experience other than Mendenhall. I like what Moore does as a change of pace, 3rd down back.

As far as ARE, this is something we all should have known already and we discussed at length at various times when he was brought back. El was brought in to stablize the WR corps since Holmes was gone and there was no experience at that position other than Ward, and Wallace going into his 2nd year. It made total sense to bring him back at a fair price to help out in the return game and atleast be able to contribute in the passing game if the young guys don't catch on quickly. Remember, Wallace was/is still an unknown as to how he will play this year.

Sanders and Brown have HUGE potential and I'd love to see them get more offensive snaps. It's a safe bet that Brown has secured the kickoff return job, he was doing very well. Perhaps Sanders will get some reps in the punt return game, who knows yet. I fully expect both of those guys to be on the field regularly on offense by mid season. Ben will have had some games to get used to playing with them, and ARE will be more than likely a reserve at that point.

igor0190
09-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Moore is still a big asset to this team, he's the only back we have with any NFL experience other than Mendenhall. I like what Moore does as a change of pace, 3rd down back.
-Running Moore between the tackles is foolish. 3rd down receiver out of the backfield (check down) maybe. But that should be it. Dress Dwyer to spell Mendy and run up the middle, or use Redman more. Moore goes between the tackles and he gets BLOWN up. Stupid Arians.

Sanders and Brown have HUGE potential and I'd love to see them get more offensive snaps. It's a safe bet that Brown has secured the kickoff return job, he was doing very well. Perhaps Sanders will get some reps in the punt return game, who knows yet. I fully expect both of those guys to be on the field regularly on offense by mid season. Ben will have had some games to get used to playing with them, and ARE will be more than likely a reserve at that point.

Let's hope this comes true.

Big T
09-20-2010, 12:27 PM

that's the thing though. All he has is experience. He was a good option as a 3rd down back in '08 but that's it. he has absolutely nothing on Mendenhall in terms of being the third down back. Mendenhall is faster and stronger, he can catch better, and block 10x better. Mewelde is slow as ****, can't block anymore, and falls down on first contact. i cringe anytime I see him in the game.

If this team is serious about winning, they need to cut the **** and keep Mendenhall in the game on 3rd downs... I can't even explain how pissed off I get when I see Mendenhall come off the field on third downs for Moore...

UKSTEELER
09-20-2010, 12:33 PM
There seems to be some reluctance to blood Sanders and Brown on Punt returns, can only assume it's through a fear of them dropping the ball . . .

These dudes are both accomplished receivers out of college, unless they're stinking it up in practice . . . i'd blood them!

I wouldn't describe Devin Hester as an accomplished ball handler, but I seem to recall him doing okay on returns in his rookie year.

Redman definitely needs to see more of the ball, let's see what's he's got, he's been used very sporadically so far, but whenever he's been called on he's looked good.
:helmet:

coldrolled
09-20-2010, 01:21 PM
There seems to be some reluctance to blood Sanders and Brown on Punt returns, can only assume it's through a fear of them dropping the ball . . .

i would guess that come week 6 we start taking more chances in all aspects of the offense ledt the young guys in the game. ben can fix errors by making up points quicker.. obviously, we dont have a TD yet.

ejsteeler
09-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Don't entirely disagree but, we should hold onto ARE for a few more games at least. He is our emergency QB and we almost needed him against the Ten Timids.
Moore, I think, still adds plenty.
I'm more worried about the D spending too much time on the field and getting worn down to soon in the season. We need to have an offense that can at least eat up more time for the next two games and hopefully Ben will resurrect the O and we play some dominant football.

blackandgold4ever
09-20-2010, 01:30 PM
If this team is serious about winning, they need to cut the **** and keep Mendenhall in the game on 3rd downs... I can't even explain how pissed off I get when I see Mendenhall come off the field on third downs for Moore...

Or use Redman more. I liked that kid in the preseason last year and Im very happy he got a roster spot

LatrobePA
09-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Or use Redman more. I liked that kid in the preseason last year and Im very happy he got a roster spot

I agree, he's a wrecking ball...

DanRooney
09-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Redman continues to impress. That play where he was gang tackled behind 3 yards behind the LoS and battled his way to get a couple was amazing.

Moore and El are done. Tomlin annoys me to no end. He makes changes when it's too little too late. Look at how long it took him to bench William Gay last year.

Really, how many more good plays do Brown or Sanders need to make to see the field?

coldrolled
09-20-2010, 01:34 PM

Run more and bring dwyers in to help the rotation. sit another WR, we cant throw to them anyhow.

DanRooney
09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Run more and bring dwyers in to help the rotation. sit another WR, we cant throw to them anyhow.

Our team will be much better with Moore, El and Battle gone.

LatrobePA
09-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Tomlin hates rookies, Pouncey is an exception...

steelcitysfinestXL
09-20-2010, 03:01 PM

As far as ARE, this is something we all should have known already and we discussed at length at various times when he was brought back. El was brought in to stablize the WR corps since Holmes was gone and there was no experience at that position other than Ward, and Wallace going into his 2nd year. It made total sense to bring him back at a fair price to help out in the return game and atleast be able to contribute in the passing game if the young guys don't catch on quickly. Remember, Wallace was/is still an unknown as to how he will play this year.

GREAT POST! Though, Im not thrilled with Moore either. Like T said, he is a FAR way off from the back we saw in '08. He is offering very little and Mende is head and shoulders a better 3rd down option at this point. Isaac Redman could take a few more 2nd down and5+ reps (not a ton just a few) to spell Mande and get him back in on 3rd down if need be. Im not saying cut Moore but at this point he doesnt need to be on the field before Mende or Redman.

As far as El, there was no need for him AND battle to make this team. Its rediculous! El brings nothin to the table but a "safe" return man. By now, with 2 wins in the bag, i think they can afford to take a slight gamble and get Sanders and Brown some reps esp. in the return game. I like El, but i think he is stunting the growth of two potential contributors in Sanders and Brown. I understand MT's veiw on this: Use El and Moore early as return men to limit mistakes by rookies (the titans can blame that rookie Mariani for what turned out to be a COSTLY fumble). But from here on out i think its obvious that with our offense, we need some explosiveness in the return game. And it wouldnt hurt to throw a bubble screen or two to Wallace, Sanders or Brown in a game and see if they can break one!

Troyisabeast_43
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Redman continues to impress. That play where he was gang tackled behind 3 yards behind the LoS and battled his way to get a couple was amazing.

Moore and El are done. Tomlin annoys me to no end. He makes changes when it's too little too late. Look at how long it took him to bench William Gay last year.

Really, how many more good plays do Brown or Sanders need to make to see the field?

I agree the fascination Tomlin seems to have with Randle El thus far is quite annoying and I do think once Ben comes back and the passing game finally does get it going Sanders and Brown will be used over Randle El. The Steelers are going to need this passing game in a big big way once Ben comes back for that tough 4 game stretch at Miami,at New Orleans,at Cincy and at home with the Patriots. Leaving Randle El in as a 3rd wide receiver at that point and time is not going to get it done and the Steelers are going to need more production and the way to do that is play Sanders and Brown.

K Train
09-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Maybe it's just me

its not, ive hated this signing since els pen hit the contract paper. he was bad when he was here 5-6 years ago....afraid of the endzone, cant get separation, and really thats how its always been. when he signed the $60 million deal after XL he was at least a top 10 PR but now he cant even be considered a serviceable one.

this is just another piece of tomlin not being able to build his own roster and panicking and bring back cowhers guys....same thing with foote and mcfadden, both guys were deemed expendable and when the team struggled he brought them back.

easily half the player he used to be, which wasnt even that good at the time....he threw a pretty pass what? twice? that doesnt justify a roster spot 5 years later, especially with some young guys who are hungry for playing time on the roster

Troyisabeast_43
09-20-2010, 04:09 PM
its not, ive hated this signing since els pen hit the contract paper. he was bad when he was here 5-6 years ago....afraid of the endzone, cant get separation, and really thats how its always been. when he signed the $60 million deal after XL he was at least a top 10 PR but now he cant even be considered a serviceable one.

this is just another piece of tomlin not being able to build his own roster and panicking and bring back cowhers guys....same thing with foote and mcfadden, both guys were deemed expendable and when the team struggled he brought them back.

easily half the player he used to be, which wasnt even that good at the time....he threw a pretty pass what? twice? that doesnt justify a roster spot 5 years later, especially with some young guys who are hungry for playing time on the roster

Im with you 100 percent KTrain El is actually hurting this receiving core and making it worse then it already has been through 2 games. One thing Tomlin needs to realize is just because you are a veteran player and have contributed here in the past like El has doesnt mean you should play just on merit alone and not play rookies like a Sanders or a Brown that are better then Randle El and can contribute more and help this team in the passing game right now as well. I will let Tomlin using El as the 3rd wideout go for now but once Ben gets back and the Steelers get into the tough part of the schedule at the end of October with teams like the Dolphins,Saints,Bengals,and Patriots there will be no excuses at all for seeing El in there as the 3rd wide receiver. Sanders and Brown MUST be given more reps and they MUST be allowed to see the field more and given a chance to make a few big plays and possibly break one...

K Train
09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
its criminal to even give el a roster spot...they should bring back cedric wilson, troy edwards, and quincey morgan to really elevate the guys we have to extreme less than mediocrity

Blazedby92
09-20-2010, 04:18 PM
its criminal to even give el a roster spot...they should bring back cedric wilson, troy edwards, and quincey morgan to really elevate the guys we have to extreme less than mediocrity

LMFAO!!!:lol:

steelcitysfinestXL
09-20-2010, 05:12 PM

I agree with everything you said except for the part in bold. Im not sold on the fact that it was Tomlins decision to bring back guys like Foote and El. McFadden was a no brainer and good value IMO for a late round pick. His drafts, overall, have yielded some good players. Thats how the Steelers stay successful as you know, building threw the draft. Foote and El were poor signings (i liked foote signing til Timmons blew up and Farrior has looked solid) El was a mistake from the get go. But i have to believe that, for whatever reason, they were brought in as locker room type guys and maybe Tomlins hand was forced after he "lost the locker room" (as so many people have said :thinking:)last year.

I dont believe you should have to look outside your own locker-room for leadership on Veteran team, but they did. I just wish they would sit El's *** down cause it PAINS me to see him in the game. He hasnt been a factor since he played for Indiana in college. Like K said, he was NEVER all that good in the first place, esp as a WR!

steelersbabex25
09-20-2010, 05:39 PM
I love Moore. If you get rid of him all you have in backs (that will play) is Redman and Mendenhall, and they both offer the same thing. Power backs, moving the ball through the middle, etc, etc. In '08 when Mendy went down (or was is Parker..I can't remember) Moore was awesome moving the ball. He picked up yards through the recieving game and the on the ground..he was a threat. Not as much anymore since he isn't first string, but you get the idea.

As for ARE..yeah..he needs to go after Ben comes back.

Troyisabeast_43
09-20-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree with everything you said except for the part in bold. Im not sold on the fact that it was Tomlins decision to bring back guys like Foote and El. McFadden was a no brainer and good value IMO for a late round pick. His drafts, overall, have yielded some good players. Thats how the Steelers stay successful as you know, building threw the draft. Foote and El were poor signings (i liked foote signing til Timmons blew up and Farrior has looked solid) El was a mistake from the get go. But i have to believe that, for whatever reason, they were brought in as locker room type guys and maybe Tomlins hand was forced after he "lost the locker room" (as so many people have said :thinking:)last year.

I dont believe you should have to look outside your own locker-room for leadership on Veteran team, but they did. I just wish they would sit El's *** down cause it PAINS me to see him in the game. He hasnt been a factor since he played for Indiana in college. Like K said, he was NEVER all that good in the first place, esp as a WR!

I will be shocked if both Sanders and Brown are not playing ahead of El by the Saints Sunday night game on Halloween night. Ben is going to need more weapons in this passing game as the season goes on and this schedule gets tougher when you play teams like the Saints, when you are going to need the passing game and more weapons with speed like a Sanders or Brown to help you win those kinds of games. El is not a threat at all when he is put out there in a 3 wide package. He needs to go Tomlin had better realize this sooner rather then later...If he doesnt then he is an idiot...

K Train
09-20-2010, 05:42 PM
I love Moore. If you get rid of him all you have in backs (that will play) is Redman and Mendenhall, and they both offer the same thing. Power backs, moving the ball through the middle, etc, etc. In '08 when Mendy went down (or was is Parker..I can't remember) Moore was awesome moving the ball. He picked up yards through the recieving game and the on the ground..he was a threat. Not as much anymore since he isn't first string, but you get the idea.

As for ARE..yeah..he needs to go after Ben comes back.

moore isnt that guy anymore

steelersbabex25
09-20-2010, 05:43 PM
moore isnt that guy anymore

I never give up on my men :lol: