PDA

View Full Version : Dixon leaves with sprained knee..Update 9/24 Torn lat. meniscus, out 6 Weeks.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Dennis was taken to the locker room with a knee sprain. Xrays were negative but he didn't return. Look for Lefty to be brought back to the roster asap.

Batch, well lets just say when he came in any type of creativity that Arians might have had up his sleeve went out the window. All we saw was Mendy & Redman running the ball. Batch did have that nice pass that Wallace dropped but overall the plan was "don't lose it on offense".

No word on when he'll return though at this point...

nuclearchihuahuas
09-19-2010, 05:20 PM
We better sign Lefty on Monday

--- Added 9/19/2010 at 03:20 PM ---

The o-line is in trouble with injuries

xxxsteelernation
09-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't think dixon's knee is that serious, and but it really showed how ineffective batch was behind center. At least he out performed both vince young and kerry collins up till the last couple drives for collins when we started to play prevent d.

Troyisabeast_43
09-19-2010, 05:28 PM
This offense is completely lost now without Ben in there and cannot generate anything in the passing game. If Leftwich is healthy need week I start him against Tampa. I believe he gives the Steelers the best chance to get their passing game going,and plus he will be pumped to go play in Tampa Bay after he got benched last year in favor of Freeman.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Tomlins press conference "I have no clue who will play QB next week, all I know is it won't be me".

xxxsteelernation
09-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree that out o-line is in trouble, and i can't belive how many times hills got beat off the end. he has been showing a lot of promise. My thing is how would the titans D looked when facing ben instead of batch or dixon. IMO other than the fumble by dixon which he was blind sided, but 4 outta 6 for 18 yards and 3 rushes for 28 yards is that bad

--- Added 9/19/2010 at 03:34 PM ---

Tomlins press conference "I have no clue who will play QB next week, all I know is it won't be me".

i'll play can't get any worse with batch back there

SteelJunkie
09-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I agree that out o-line is in trouble, and i can't belive how many times hills got beat off the end. he has been showing a lot of promise. My thing is how would the titans D looked when facing ben instead of batch or dixon. IMO other than the fumble by dixon which he was blind sided, but 4 outta 6 for 18 yards and 3 rushes for 28 yards is that bad

--- Added 9/19/2010 at 03:34 PM ---

i'll play can't get any worse with batch back there

Its not Batch's fault, he never got any snaps this season. Leftwich still took snaps in front of Batch this week, and we cut him for a roster spot.

nuclearchihuahuas
09-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Its not Batch's fault, he never got any snaps this season. Leftwich still took snaps in front of Batch this week, and we cut him for a roster spot.

I hope Lefty comes back with a vengenance! After getting released and then playing against his old team--he should be totally p.o.'d! I know it was a business move to let him go this week--hope he feels the need to prove himself big time!

xxxsteelernation
09-19-2010, 05:44 PM
I know tomlin has has led us to a super bowl win but just seems that he has taken a back seat to things latley, i'm starting to want lebeau as head coach...

nuclearchihuahuas
09-19-2010, 05:45 PM
I know tomlin has has led us to a super bowl win but just seems that he has taken a back seat to things latley, i'm starting to want lebeau as head coach...

OMG! What a great idea! Can you imagine an offense as fast and as vicious as our D?

JensK
09-19-2010, 05:48 PM
OMG! What a great idea! Can you imagine an offense as fast and as vicious as our D?

Yeah because LeBeau did amazing when he was HC... >.> Besides, what can Tomlin do. He have 3 out of 4 QBs out, with the last one being old and done... What would you have him say? Its impossible for him to say a thing before he knows how Leftwich and Dixon trains...

SteelJunkie
09-19-2010, 05:48 PM
LeBeau is a better defensive coach then head coach. I would rather him focus on his talent.

steelersbabex25
09-19-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm just surprised that Batch didn't get hurt..

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Lefty will be brought back to the active roster asap. Dixon may have been able to make some plays with his feet had he stayed in there. All we can do is hold on till Ben comes back.

Lets face it, Batch is a 4th string QB. He has no significant arm left so asking him to air it out would have been stupid. He took care of the ball, he didn't throw any INT's.

Real Deal Steel
09-19-2010, 06:23 PM
This offense is completely lost now without Ben in there and cannot generate anything in the passing game. If Leftwich is healthy need week I start him against Tampa. I believe he gives the Steelers the best chance to get their passing game going,and plus he will be pumped to go play in Tampa Bay after he got benched last year in favor of Freeman.

I think that Lefty will restore some order to the passing game. It doesn't have to be a great passing game. But one to where we can complete some 7 yard passes that keep that safety from just automatically coming up in the box.

And lefty will take his shots down the field too. We should be fine as long as the defense doesn't have a let down.

nuclearchihuahuas
09-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah because LeBeau did amazing when he was HC... >.> Besides, what can Tomlin do. He have 3 out of 4 QBs out, with the last one being old and done... What would you have him say? Its impossible for him to say a thing before he knows how Leftwich and Dixon trains...

Sorry--just wishfully daydreaming--about an o-line as fast and as tough as our D--what a wonderful thought but wasn't serious

Zachintosh66
09-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Batch scared the sh!t outta me... every time he dropped back to pass i was screaming "throw it, throw it!" I didnt want china doll to break a nail and have to go on IR and we be stuck w/ Randel EL @ QB. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I started out saying throw it, throw, then when he did it was so bad that I started yelling run it run it :lol:

Batch did make a few good throws today but penalties or dropped balls didn't help him any.

nuclearchihuahuas
09-19-2010, 10:37 PM
I started out saying throw it, throw, then when he did it was so bad that I started yelling run it run it :lol:

Batch did make a few good throws today but penalties or dropped balls didn't help him any.

Batch did what he was supposed to do--he didn't die and handed it off--I have no complaints we are 2-0 :rasberry:

TXSteeler
09-19-2010, 10:48 PM
I agree Batch did what back-ups are there to do, not lose the game. And why be so hard on Tomlin, remember we were hoping the Steelers would just keep their heads above water while Ben was out and here we are first in the division. Not bad in my opinion.

coldrolled
09-20-2010, 08:45 AM

he was 0-3 .... he looked like crap.... any QB looked better ...

Root4Stlrs
09-20-2010, 09:32 AM

I think the receivers deserve more than some of the criticism. The receivers were awful yesterday. Wallace, Ward, and Miller all dropped passes that should have been caught and would have made a difference. Then there was the holding penalty on the TD pass that Batch threw to Wallace. How many other teams in the NFL have a 4th string QB who could even attempt what Batch did yesterday? When the Colts second string QB plays, it's a frightening thing to watch. Frankly, I think Batch played better than some of the first stringers I've seen in there for some of these teams, considering they're much younger and still have some arm strength. All of that being said, I'm just very happy we're 2-0.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I agree Batch did what back-ups are there to do, not lose the game. And why be so hard on Tomlin, remember we were hoping the Steelers would just keep their heads above water while Ben was out and here we are first in the division. Not bad in my opinion.

:plus1: most teams get HAMMERED when the 4th string QB steps in. Imagine the Colts/Saints/Patriots with their 3rd and fourth string QB! Those are the 3 qbs in the "Elite class" with Ben IMO... Imagine what their record would be if they had 3rd and 4th stringers to open the season??? And yet people have the nerve to bash Tomlin for what? What he said in a few press confrences? Get real! Credit to MT, BA and Lebeau for getting 2 wins and heres to prepping us to get a 3rd in Tampa!:cope:

--- Added 9/20/2010 at 02:17 PM ---

Sorry man, but i find it hard to believe he could do any less than DD and Batch. Keep the gameplan the same: run, Run, RUN and make smart/easy trhows. I think Lefty, at this point is quite capale of that + the occasional deep ball. I love DD, and if he can go with his knee and still be capable of running, then play him... if not i want NO PARTS of Charlie Batch for four quarters!

PS: try and find highlight of the TB vs. Dallas game last year, Leftwhich played damn well with a very untalented Bucs offense.

DanRooney
09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
You guys are acting like Charlie Batch played any worse than Dixon...they were both horrible.

4/6 18 yards. 5/11 25 yards. Count in the 2 drops from Randle El and Hines in the EZ, Batch has the better day.

LatrobePA
09-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Right now we have no QB that is worth a crap until Ben comes back. But hey, we're winning!

steelcitysfinestXL
09-20-2010, 04:44 PM
You guys are acting like Charlie Batch played any worse than Dixon...they were both horrible.

4/6 18 yards. 5/11 25 yards. Count in the 2 drops from Randle El and Hines in the EZ, Batch has the better day.

Batch also played 2.5 quarters to Dixons 1.5... so they were about equally ******! Batch made some heady plays and was hurt by some drops like you said. Dennis didnt have much of a chance to do anything before getting injured. He really didnt do anything to build upon. Doesnt step up in the pocket, recognizes the blitz and then turns his back to it only to get BLASTED and fumble... he needs time to develope as a QB and he just isnt making the best of his time whether its so-so play week 1 or an injury week 2.

coldrolled
09-20-2010, 05:01 PM

just more proof that ben makes arians play calling look better.

UKSTEELER
09-20-2010, 05:16 PM
This offense is lacking it's leader, . . . .

so in times of hardship, someone needs to step up and man up, . . . Dennis would have come back in and played if Batch went down, so it couldn't have been that bad an injury. . . . . how about playing through the pain, tell coach, hey I want in there, I'm okay I want to lead this team in their hour of need?

It's situations like this when you find out who's going to go to war for you.

. . . . then again maybe he was just tired of Arians hanging him out to dry?

:helmet:

Troyisabeast_43
09-20-2010, 05:58 PM
:plus1: most teams get HAMMERED when the 4th string QB steps in. Imagine the Colts/Saints/Patriots with their 3rd and fourth string QB! Those are the 3 qbs in the "Elite class" with Ben IMO... Imagine what their record would be if they had 3rd and 4th stringers to open the season??? And yet people have the nerve to bash Tomlin for what? What he said in a few press confrences? Get real! Credit to MT, BA and Lebeau for getting 2 wins and heres to prepping us to get a 3rd in Tampa!:cope:

--- Added 9/20/2010 at 02:17 PM ---

Sorry man, but i find it hard to believe he could do any less than DD and Batch. Keep the gameplan the same: run, Run, RUN and make smart/easy trhows. I think Lefty, at this point is quite capale of that + the occasional deep ball. I love DD, and if he can go with his knee and still be capable of running, then play him... if not i want NO PARTS of Charlie Batch for four quarters!

PS: try and find highlight of the TB vs. Dallas game last year, Leftwhich played damn well with a very untalented Bucs offense.

Im with you I dont see Dixon being as ready as I originally thought as well to lead this team. Leftwich has the experience and will at least give the Steelers a chance to have some kind of legit passing game. Plus, he will be pumped to go into Tampa this week with a chip on his shoulder and play well against them after losing his job and being booed off the field a year ago. Leftwich gives the Steelers offense the best chance to move the ball with the passing game consistently the next 2 games against the Bucs and Ravens until Ben comes back...He should be the guy this week in Tampa if he is healthy Ill be surprised if he is not...

86WARD
09-20-2010, 07:12 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/20/dennis-dixon-has-a-torn-meniscus/

Hello Byron. Ready to go?

Cricker24
09-20-2010, 07:20 PM
yep, heard the same thing on ESPN. Leftwitch will be motivated to beat the Bucs...hopefully the Steelers will be 3-1 going into the Ravens game!!

steelersbabex25
09-20-2010, 07:22 PM
yep, heard the same thing on ESPN. Leftwitch will be motivated to beat the Bucs...hopefully the Steelers will be 3-1 going into the Ravens game!!

..hopefully the Steelers will be 3-0 going into the Ravens game, and hopefully they can be 4-0 going into the bye.

75Steeler
09-20-2010, 07:26 PM
What happened to all the trick plays talk we had going when we brought Randel El back? I want to see some of that Super Bowl 40 stuff again! The opening return for a TD was a classic though!

steelersbabex25
09-20-2010, 07:28 PM
What happened to all the trick plays talk we had going when we brought Randel El back? I want to see some of that Super Bowl 40 stuff again! The opening return for a TD was a classic though!

They're waiting for the SB to whip all that stuff out :yesnod:

DanRooney
09-20-2010, 07:37 PM

They realized it's not 2005 anymore and Randle El completely sucks.

Troyisabeast_43
09-20-2010, 07:38 PM

The only trick plays Randle El should be doing are packing his bags when he is given his release...I dont care how many games the Steelers win from here going forward Tomlin is still wasting time and making a big big mistake playing Randle El and making him the 3rd receiver in the long run over guys like Sanders and Brown...And if Tomlin continues to be stubborn about doing so just because Randle El is a veteran and has been on the Steelers in the past then it's going to end up hurting the Steelers passing game in the long run...Cut your losses now with Randle El and get him off the roster ASAP. Personally, I wanted Randle El cut after the first pre-season game with the Lions where both Sanders and Brown clearly showed they were ready to play and El was expendable. Ill say one more time keeping El on the roster and leaving him as the 3rd wide receiver if Tomlin continues to do so is a stupid stupid move...

Blazedby92
09-20-2010, 08:02 PM

SEE BELOW

They realized it's not 2005 anymore and Randle El completely sucks.:yellowthumb:

The only trick plays Randle El should be doing are packing his bags
:yellowthumb::yellowthumb:

I don't even want him on the field

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Word is now that Dixon has a torn meniscus and will miss about 3 weeks. That means if Lefty is ready he'll more than likely get the start, Batch will be the backup. Unknown at this point if they'll try and play musical roster spots and bring in a 3rd backup QB behind those 2.

The news on the latest injury to a Steelers quarterback may not be as good as team officials had hoped Sunday night after Dennis Dixon's left knee was injured in their 19-11 victory at Tennessee.
One source close to the situation told the Post-Gazette that Dixon has a torn lateral meniscus, which could keep him out 3-5 weeks.
Coach Mike Tomlin said after the game he did not know who would start Sunday in Tampa Bay against the Bucs.
Byron Leftwich returned to the team Monday and said he would push his knee hard in practice to see how it responds. Leftwich's left MCL was sprained in the final preseason game Sept. 2. He threw some passes in practices last week.
Charlie Batch, who replaced Dixon and finished the final three quarters Sunday in Nashville, remains the only healthy quarterback on the roster.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10263/1089021-100.stm#ixzz107MeB7o9

Troyisabeast_43
09-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Word is now that Dixon has a torn meniscus and will miss about 3 weeks. That means if Lefty is ready he'll more than likely get the start, Batch will be the backup. Unknown at this point if they'll try and play musical roster spots and bring in a 3rd backup QB behind those 2.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10263/1089021-100.stm#ixzz107MeB7o9
At this point I would dress just Lefty and Batch and take my chances again with El as the 3rd emergency QB. The conditions this week in Tampa are going to be just like the conditions in Tennessee yesterday if not worse. The Steelers are going to need every healthy offensive and defensive lineman once again this week with the heat and the conditions and the injuries as well to both units. I expect the defense once again this week to do it's thing and dominate this game and for Leftwich to come out with a huge chip on his shoulder playing Tampa and get this Steelers passing game going. No reason at all the Steelers shouldnt win this game by 14 points if the defense continues to dominate like we all know they can and if Leftwich can get this offense moving and put some points on the board early and often...

Big T
09-20-2010, 09:45 PM
..hopefully the Steelers will be 3-0 going into the Ravens game, and hopefully they can be 4-0 going into the bye.

Hopefully the Steelers will be 19-0 heading into the offseason :yesnod: lol

LatrobePA
09-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Hopefully they destroy the Bucs!!

SteelDad
09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Frankly, we should beat the Bucs with my 6 year old playing QB. If we take care of the ball and continue the great defense this should be a victory and then we head home to play Baltimore.

As for ARE, while he has indeed given us some great memories, but his time has passed. I believe he is nothing more than comfort food for Tomiln on punt returns because Mikey is worried that Brown doesn't catch the ball well in that situation. OK, I can live with that, but put a damn bottle rocket in ARE's butt and get him going upfield!!

DanRooney
09-21-2010, 03:50 AM
I hope to god Randle El muffs a punt this week (recovered by one of our blockers, of course) and Brown returns another one so Tomlin gets his head out of ***. Some more dropped passes from El would be sweet too.

92_is_gonna_kill_you
09-21-2010, 04:35 AM

You do realize he was starting for TAMPA BAY, right? They would've went 0-3 with Peyton Manning as QB last season.

Leftwich's isn't the second coming of Joe Montana, but with the right pieces in place & right playcalling, Leftwich can look & play solidly (or any QB for that matter - see Cassel, Matt).

coldrolled
09-21-2010, 07:12 AM
You do realize he was starting for TAMPA BAY, right? They would've went 0-3 with Peyton Manning as QB last season.

Leftwich's isn't the second coming of Joe Montana, but with the right pieces in place & right playcalling, Leftwich can look & play solidly (or any QB for that matter - see Cassel, Matt).

i know it was tampa, but everyone here is still waiting for the play calling..... :lol:

obviously ben calls the plays.

steelers4life66
09-21-2010, 05:22 PM
hopefully the Steelers will be 3-1 going into the Ravens game!!
:scratch:

coldrolled
09-22-2010, 09:00 AM
I hope to god Randle El muffs a punt this week (recovered by one of our blockers, of course) and Brown returns another one so Tomlin gets his head out of ***. Some more dropped passes from El would be sweet too.

remember sweed cant drop any, L can..

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2010, 10:27 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10267/1089969-66.stm

Update, now he's out 6 weeks...

riday, September 24, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201009/20100921steelers2_330.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Steelers quarterback Denis Dixon is expected to be sidelined six weeks due to a left knee injury.

Dennis Dixon will be out six weeks after having surgery to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee, the Post-Gazette has learned.
It was originally thought Dixon, the team's No. 3 quarterback, would be out three to five weeks after being injured in the second quarter of the Steelers' 19-11 victory Sunday in Tennessee. But, even though the surgery went very well and determined there was no major damage, Dixon will be out even longer than anticipated. If the prognosis is accurate, he will not return until the Nov. 14 game against the New England Patriots.
Coach Mike Tomlin said the other day he has no plans to sign another quarterback to the roster. Ben Roethlisberger will miss two more games before his four-game suspension is over.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10267/1089969-66.stm#ixzz10SAMEU9q

Captcoolhand
09-24-2010, 10:29 AM
That sucks but at least we are half way back to having Ben again. :tt02:

LatrobePA
09-24-2010, 12:38 PM
If batch and BL fill in well, do you all think DD will be gone next season??

nuclearchihuahuas
09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
If batch and BL fill in well, do you all think DD will be gone next season??

I kind of doubt it simpoly because of the age of Batch. At 35 and being as breakable as he is, I would think Tomlin will keep Lefty and Dixon (for his youth). Besides, they can always bring Batch back in the event of a disaster. I do not believe there are too many teams that would be interested in keeping him on their roster as a full time backup.

DanRooney
09-24-2010, 07:27 PM
I think Pat White is done as a Steeler after this season. It's probably pretty obvious to Tomlin that he is a pretty terrible QB. It would be cheaper just to grab another one late in next year's draft and try to develop him.