PDA

View Full Version : Let Me Get This Straight (Ben and V. Jackson)

SteelDad
09-17-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm not trying to defend Ben's actions that led to his suspension by any means but I'm having a hard time grasping this....

So Chargers WR Vincent Jackson, who has had 2 DUI's will have his suspension reduced to 4 games IF he gets traded by Wednesday. What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here? You hold out for more money, during a suspension, you could get your wish and get traded, AND your penalty is reduced? So apparently BR should have held out and demanded a trade and said 'hell with being a better person' in order to get his suspension reduced even more. WTF?:banging:

LatrobePA
09-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Things that make you go hmmmm, F-Goodell!

MattyVfromCT
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM

cosigned. goodell is a hypocritical POS. same thing with the shaun rogers deal. walks into an airport with a loaded gun WITH ONE IN THE CHAMBER, A FELONY, WAS ARRESTED FOR IT, yet he only got a fine because he did some "good deed" afterwards according to goodell. yet ben, as wrong as he was, wasn't charged in either case, and according to goodell "went far and beyond what the nfl asked of him", yet still remained suspended. goodell might as well run for president. he's as full of **** as any president we've had in our nation's history............

ejsteeler
09-17-2010, 12:40 PM
The Commish is an idiot. :yesnod:
The sooner they get rid of him, the better the game will be. :imho:

steelcitysfinestXL
09-17-2010, 12:50 PM

Yeah, i wasnt on the F-Goodell train until recently. Not that i think Bens punishment should be less than 4 games... but WTF!?!? THIS is a shining example of why i said the NFL shouldnt dabble in punishing outside of the law. Whatever, he'll be a better man for it. IMO this was the only way he was going to change his immature ways. He'll be a better QB too by rededicating himself to football. And hopefully, we can come out of this 4 games with a winning record and Ben can come back and start stacking trophies!

Root4Stlrs
09-17-2010, 01:19 PM
The Commish is an idiot. :yesnod:
The sooner they get rid of him, the better the game will be. :imho:

Goodell is a lifer. He's never worked for anybody but the NFL so getting rid of him would be a tough proposition.

--- Added 9/17/2010 at 12:19 PM ---

Yeah, i wasnt on the F-Goodell train until recently. Not that i think Bens punishment should be less than 4 games... but WTF!?!? THIS is a shining example of why i said the NFL shouldnt dabble in punishing outside of the law. Whatever, he'll be a better man for it. IMO this was the only way he was going to change his immature ways. He'll be a better QB too by rededicating himself to football. And hopefully, we can come out of this 4 games with a winning record and Ben can come back and start stacking trophies!

:plus1: Totally agree. Goodell's ability to be arbitrary and capricious in his application of the rules and penalties is not a good thing. Hopefully, the laugh will be on him and the rest of the league when Ben does come back and starts stacking trophies, as you say. :yesnod:

ejsteeler
09-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Goodell is a lifer. He's never worked for anybody but the NFL so getting rid of him would be a tough proposition.

Oh, I know. Just making a point. I can wish can't I? :lol:

Root4Stlrs
09-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Oh, I know. Just making a point. I can wish can't I? :lol:

:plus1:

AZ_Steeler
09-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I think what it comes down to is Goodell doesn't want to appear to be races! If you think about he comes down harder on the white athletes than he does the black ones. Case in point V Young... now V Jackson! Goodell needs to set aside the color of the athletes and treat them all the same. If your name ends up in public for some bad behavior then you should expect to be suspended for x number of games regardless of your skin color and who you are. It would be nice if they had a listing that pre-determined the # of games up front for specific actions so the players would know right off the bat what their suspension from the NFL is going to be once there arrest/actions end up on the news. For example, fighting a night club = minimum 2 game suspension. 1st DUI = Minimum 3 games, 2nd DUI = Minimum 6 games etc...

steelcitysfinestXL
09-17-2010, 02:43 PM
I think what it comes down to is Goodell doesn't want to appear to be races! If you think about he comes down harder on the white athletes than he does the black ones. Case in point V Young... now V Jackson! Goodell needs to set aside the color of the athletes and treat them all the same. If your name ends up in public for some bad behavior then you should expect to be suspended for x number of games regardless of your skin color and who you are. It would be nice if they had a listing that pre-determined the # of games up front for specific actions so the players would know right off the bat what their suspension from the NFL is going to be once there arrest/actions end up on the news. For example, fighting a night club = minimum 2 game suspension. 1st DUI = Minimum 3 games, 2nd DUI = Minimum 6 games etc...

I knew it was gonna get said sooner or later... and THIS is a sterling example od what the NFL SHOULD have tried to avoid. Not saying i agree or disagree about Goodell's reasoning, but the deciosion to use the "player conduct policy" opens the door for these ideas.

I do whole heartedly agree with the part in bold though. The NFL had that, and it wasnt working. NFL players were getting arrested left and right. So now we have this conduct policy and players are still getting in trouble and the FANS have to suffer... well some fans anyways!

HUNT4SEVEN
09-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Good for nothing Goodell is a Rats fan what else do u expect from a Rats fan? Let the part about Ben go before it kills u I'm just glad we get him back for the Clowns we should be 3-1 by then, and the way our O-Line has played when he comes back we are gonna light SH&^ up on everyone we play

igor0190
09-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Goodell is a Ravens fan... look it up

HUNT4SEVEN
09-17-2010, 02:57 PM

Truth is more white players have gotten away with much more than black players Matt Jones and that drunk on the D line in Minnesota comes to mind, now these 2 cats were not even punish at all, there will never be equality in the NFL or america, Goodell is no more racist than that Steelers club in AZ is for letting that racist singer preform in their club this past summer, i have more of a problem with Goodell being a Rat fan than a racist:lol: neither is a good thing to be :lol:

chisteeler
09-17-2010, 03:13 PM
I still think the Rooneys had a lot of influence in the decsion of 4 games. I truly believe they were more embarassed than the "NFL". They wanted to send Ben a message, not so much the Comish. All he did was say hey, "I'll take the heat from the fans". Just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.
Go Steelers!

blackandgold4ever
09-17-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't believe its a race thing, I think its a notarity thing. Ben is a two time superbowl winner and the face of the franchise. Goodell wanted to make an example and I think he succeded. F Goodell, it is what it is. Ben will be back and we'll be fine

igor0190
09-17-2010, 04:39 PM
I still think the Rooneys had a lot of influence in the decsion of 4 games. I truly believe they were more embarassed than the "NFL". They wanted to send Ben a message, not so much the Comish. All he did was say hey, "I'll take the heat from the fans". Just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.
Go Steelers!

That is a VERY good point... and there definately maybe more truth in that than we know

SteelDad
09-17-2010, 05:01 PM
I also agree that the Rooneys were not going to let BR off with anything less than what he is getting. I certainly hope race is not an issue here. It's sometimes easy to look at 4 or 5 cases and make a hypothesis, but I haven't seen enough yet to go there. I really like the idea of 'you do this then it = this' and so on. It sure would take a lot of the subjectivity out of it.

Sheetz
09-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Goodell is a waste of space, he gets on my nerves more and more every year. Roethlisberger was never even charged in a crime while numerous other people are getting in trouble with the law everyday. He made an example out of big ben but ignores the criminals in the NFL. Add the ridiculous fines and spygate and the guy should be fired.

Goodell saved Ben's career? give me a break.

Real Deal Steel
09-17-2010, 11:09 PM

Yep. I don't agree with the punishment of Ben considering he wasn't charged with anything. But it is what it is.

coldrolled
09-18-2010, 09:09 AM
:plus1::plus1:
Go Steelers!

mos07
09-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Three more games......hopefully two more wins, and this is in the rearview mirror.

The suspension is what it is, but GOODELL BETTER FOLLOW UP AS HARD ON THE NEXT BIG NAME PLAYER OR HE LOSES ALL CREDIBILITY IMO.

He made his statement, his PR move. The Steelers' shoulders better be big enough to withstand the blow. Hopefully it gels the team together, so they do not hang all their hopes on Ben's right arm every week.

Bring on the Titans!!!!

xxxsteelernation
09-19-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't think ben should of been suspended at all since he was not convicted of either charge. The only thing he's been charged with is driving his mortorcycle without a proper licence, i think that was the charge ( i know he got fined for his crash) other than that the two sexual misconduct has never been proved. So yea he went to a club. some chick saw him and accused him, he went to a hotel some chick accused him, that's all their word vs his. So does this "personal conduct policy" mean that any person can come on and tarnish your name and you get suspended for it. Personally i think the player has to be convicted to be suspended. this is in no way saying ben didn't do it. But obviously there was not enough or any evidence to press charges. It's really funny how ben get's suspended without going to court. I wonder if Brady,Manning or Bree's would get suspended since they are the poster boy's for the NFL.