PDA

View Full Version : Continue the run mentality when Ben comes back?

SteelCityKid5
09-13-2010, 02:47 PM
I thought of this question while digesting the game in my 9 am class this morning. Do you think yesterdays flashback to the running game was because Dixon was our starting QB? In other words, do we continue to run the ball when Ben comes back?

IMO, I think its gonna be back to the new age Steelers football. We'll go back to the spread. I think this was perfect for Arians. The boss wanted to run the ball more and he has 4 games to "show" that he's more committed to the run. Then Benny boy comes back and takes over calling off run plays, turning them into 50 yard under thrown heaves to Mike Wallace. Regardless, how good our D looks, I dont care how our offense puts points on the board.

Your thoughts....

steelcitysfinestXL
09-13-2010, 03:03 PM
The boss wanted to run the ball more and he has 4 games to "show" that he's more committed to the run.

Your thoughts....

I think alot of people missed the messege when Rooney said what he said. He never mentioned running the ball more. With a top flight $100M QB that would be silly (though some fans think they should run more :banging:). He said they need to run the ball more effectively esp. in shortyardage situations. So while you're still gonna see Ben airing it out when he comes back... there is an emphasis on running the ball better, NOT MORE!

I thought of this question while digesting the game in my 9 am class this morning...

LOL, quit thinking bout football and get your head in them books...LMFAO!!!

LatrobePA
09-13-2010, 03:13 PM
I like the combo) theme, I also thought the game flew by, running the ball successfully opens the door so wide...

I say keep pounding it w/ Redman, Mendy....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2010, 03:58 PM
The offensive is improved this year, that helps a lot in the running game too. I would imagine they will continue to try and run the ball even when Ben comes back. A good running game is the best way to slow down an aggressive pass rush. If you can run, they can't tee off and come after you. If the line continues to improve, this will be a much better year for the sack total against Ben and the rushing stats as a whole.

SteelerEyeZ
09-13-2010, 04:10 PM
With the O-line playing the way they did against the falcons i believe they will run it 60-40. The reason i say this is bc they will get more and more holes as they play together and start learning to help each other, Mendy will start to see the gaps a lot better, Issace RedZone Redman (he will allow us on third and short to get those hard yards even though he was stopped on 3rd and short once last week) It will start to turn back to old steeler football (eventhough i wasn't alive then) but once that starts the play action will be HUGEEEEE and Wallace will benefit from that.

SteelJunkie
09-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Well the running should be easier when Ben gets back. I wouldn't imagine to many teams stacking the box like they will do with DD.

SnakeEyes43
09-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Running the ball better on short yardage and goal line situations would be great. And with Ben back we will probably air it out much more. The way the D is playing, if we stay healthy, this will be a tough team for anyone to handle.

Root4Stlrs
09-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Running the ball better on short yardage and goal line situations would be great. And with Ben back we will probably air it out much more. The way the D is playing, if we stay healthy, this will be a tough team for anyone to handle.

I agree totally with your last sentence. Lawrence Timmons played out of sight yesterday. And Farrior looked like his old self, too. Even though they picked on BMac, White never scored a TD and there weren't all the missed tackles like last year. I don't know the stats on YAC last year, but some of the games were brutal in that regard. I was at the Green Bay and Oakland games last year - both torture fests for the D. Tomlin's decision to do the onside kick in the GB game was right - I was thinking let them score quick because we know the D can't stop them and get our offense back on the field with a chance to win the game.

steelersbabex25
09-13-2010, 06:31 PM
They'll still probably be running more than they did last year because the offensive line is a lot better. What I hope they don't continue to do is run the ball on 2nd and 1. That's your chance to throw a long pass and try to advance but they were put in that situation a few times yesterday and they did nothing with it.

SteelDad
09-13-2010, 07:25 PM
This is where Arians comes in. In the past, we've had games where we are killing it on the ground and then BA suddenly gets bored and goes back to the pass. If we truly are going to be better in the run game then BA has to be the catalyst of that.

Dan*Rooney
09-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Ben's gonna ride the bench when he comes back. Tomlin noticed all the fans loved Dixon's great game yesterday :yesnod:

Superboel

--- Added 9/13/2010 at 05:37 PM ---

In all serious though, we should continue to run the ball similar to what we did Sunday. Ben will be able to burn most teams on the play action. With the way our D played, this is easily a playoff team even with a QB half as talented as Ben

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2010, 07:57 PM
I never once said Dixon played a great game and said many times he was madly inconsistent but at the same time his performance is what I expected.....So I'm not all in a rage about it today....lol

Again I ask is Batch really that better of a option right now?.....lol Or Lefty when he comes back.....I expected struggles at the QB position with Ben out no matter who was in there....You don't replace a two Super Bowl winning franchise QB easily.....I think some of you need to lower your expectations of our back up QBs....lol

If Leftwich or Batch, had started I would have expected the defense and running game to carry the load....lol

KemoTherapy
09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I for one hope the running game continues. You can never underestimate how much easier the game is when you have the ball all the time and the other teams offence can't get on the field. But Ariens will screw that up sooner or later.

Layin the wood
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
I for one hope the running game continues. You can never underestimate how much easier the game is when you have the ball all the time and the other teams offence can't get on the field. But Ariens will screw that up sooner or later.

I hope BA doesnt screw this up because we are on track for some big rushing games with Mendy and Redzone in there!!!!

Stlrs4Life
09-15-2010, 05:06 PM
I hope so. But will feel more confident when we do pass the ball.

coldrolled
09-15-2010, 05:56 PM
I hope BA doesnt screw this up because we are on track for some big rushing games with Mendy and Redzone in there!!!!

i would like to see us with a good lead maybe in tampa or cleveland and see Mendy and Dwyer in the backfield. Butler at CB/NB.....