PDA

View Full Version : Bettis & Dawson nominated for HOF

harpo
09-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Bettis, Dawson among Steelers nominated for NFL Hall of Fame

Monday, September 13, 2010

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Halfback Jerome Bettis joins his former center Dermontti Dawson to headline a handful of Steelers nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2011.

Bettis is among a trio of star running backs eligible for induction for the first time. The others are Marshall Faulk and Curtis Martin.

Dawson was among the finalists for the Hall of Fame last year, making it to the final 10.

Read the rest of the article here:

Bettis, Dawson among those nominated for HOF (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10256/1087269-100.stm)

======================================

From the looks of things (i.e. the list of eligible candidates), "The Bus" may have to another another year, or perhaps two.

K Train
09-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Primetime and Faulk should be locks....bettis and martin probably have to wait, who knows on dawson

Layin the wood
09-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Dawson should get in. He was the best C of his era!!!

harpo
09-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Primetime and Faulk should be locks....bettis and martin probably have to wait, who knows on dawson

Agreed. I also think that either Cris Carter or Tim Brown (or both) get in this time. More than likely Carter over TB.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I think Bettis can make it in this coming year. It won't be a landslide but he's got a real good shot IMO. Dawson I would to see get in, but Im not sure he'll make this time yet.

lloydfan4life
09-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Holy Crap.. I can't believe it's been 5 years already since Jerome's been gone. :evilshake:

I'd love to see both of 'em make it this year! :yesnod: :crossfingers:

25MVPKing
09-14-2010, 02:26 PM
I'll preface this by saying, I'm awfully picky about who I'd allow in the HOF if I were running things:

RBs: Jerome Bettis - yes, not first year; Marshall Faulk - no; Curtis Martin - no; Terrell Davis - no; Eddie George - hell no; Herschel Walker - no; Ricky Watters - hell no

QB: Phil Simms - no; Doug Williams no

WR: Tim Brown - no; Cris Carter - yes, Andre Reed - no

TE: Ben Coates - no; Shannon Sharpe - yes; Frank Wycheck - no

OL: Tony Boselli - yes; Dermontti Dawson - yes;

DL: Richard Dent - yes; Chris Doleman - no; Charles Haley - no; Cortez Kennedy - no; Joe Klecko - no;

LB: Cornelius Bennett - no; Kevin Greene - no; Darryl Talley - no

DB: Eric Allen - no; Steve Atwater - no; LeRoy Butler - yes; Donnie Shell - no; Darren Woodson - no; Deion Sanders - no

K: Gary Anderson - yes: Ray Guy - yes; Nick Lowery - yes;

ST: Steve Tasker - no

Coaches: Jimmy Johnson - no; Dan Reeves - no; Dick Vermeil - yes

Dawson the only Steeler player I fully support getting in.:2cents:

K Train
09-14-2010, 02:40 PM
I'll preface this by saying, I'm awfully picky about who I'd allow in the HOF if I were running things:

RBs: Jerome Bettis - yes, not first year; Marshall Faulk - no; Curtis Martin - no; Terrell Davis - no; Eddie George - hell no; Herschel Walker - no; Ricky Watters - hell no

QB: Phil Simms - no; Doug Williams no

WR: Tim Brown - no; Cris Carter - yes, Andre Reed - no

TE: Ben Coates - no; Shannon Sharpe - yes; Frank Wycheck - no

OL: Tony Boselli - yes; Dermontti Dawson - yes;

DL: Richard Dent - yes; Chris Doleman - no; Charles Haley - no; Cortez Kennedy - no; Joe Klecko - no;

LB: Cornelius Bennett - no; Kevin Greene - no; Darryl Talley - no

DB: Eric Allen - no; Steve Atwater - no; LeRoy Butler - yes; Donnie Shell - no; Darren Woodson - no; Deion Sanders - no

K: Gary Anderson - yes: Ray Guy - yes; Nick Lowery - yes;

ST: Steve Tasker - no

Coaches: Jimmy Johnson - no; Dan Reeves - no; Dick Vermeil - yes

Dawson the only Steeler player I fully support getting in.:2cents:
So bettis is the only RB youd let in? imagine that lol

faulk is the only lock out of any of them and bettis may not get in for years....and you think 3 kickers should make it in over faulk? lol

no to deion sanders is just blasphemy to football, one of the most talented players to ever play regardless of position and he doesnt get in but a punter does.

this list is really just terrible

roosterray
09-14-2010, 02:57 PM

:cope:

no way the committee only goes with lineman and kickers. They have to have at least 2 headliners. Nobody would go or watch TV. NFL is a marketing machine first.

One of the 3 backs make it, probably Faulk, Maybe 2. If there is 2 Bettis has a shot over Martin.

25MVPKing
09-14-2010, 03:08 PM
So bettis is the only RB youd let in? imagine that lol

faulk is the only lock out of any of them and bettis may not get in for years....and you think 3 kickers should make it in over faulk? lol

no to deion sanders is just blasphemy to football, one of the most talented players to ever play regardless of position and he doesnt get in but a punter does.

Haha, I knew you'd like that K Train. :lol:

Yes 3 kickers, and I'll tell you Bettis would get in by a hair in his last year of eligibility.

What's my criteria? To be THE best in your position for the bulk of your career. If you're top 3 or 4 at your position in the league year in and year out for 80%+ of your career, you're HOF worthy. Faulk was awesome some years, completely not others. (Bettis slacked a little in noncontract years, but part of that was his team.) Those kickers were consistently money.

Deion Sanders can't tackle. :stirpot: He is not Champ Bailey, Troy Polamalu, or Ed Reed. He may have been a HOF wideout or a HOF returner, but he chose to play CB the most. He was always overrated. :imho:

--- Added 9/14/2010 at 01:08 PM ---

no way the committee only goes with lineman and kickers. They have to have at least 2 headliners. Nobody would go or watch TV. NFL is a marketing machine first.

If my Dick Vermeil pick wouldn't bring in the viewers, I'm sure Shannon Sharpe would. ;-)

:banana:

K Train
09-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Haha, I knew you'd like that K Train. :lol:

Yes 3 kickers, and I'll tell you Bettis would get in by a hair in his last year of eligibility.

What's my criteria? To be THE best in your position for the bulk of your career. If you're top 3 or 4 at your position in the league year in and year out for 80%+ of your career, you're HOF worthy. Faulk was awesome some years, completely not others. (Bettis slacked a little in noncontract years, but part of that was his team.) Those kickers were consistently money.

Deion Sanders can't tackle. :stirpot: He is not Champ Bailey, Troy Polamalu, or Ed Reed. He may have been a HOF wideout or a HOF returner, but he chose to play CB the most. He was always overrated. :imho:
deion was the unquestioned best CB for a long time....if woodson was a first ballet then deion should have been let in a year early. he wasnt physical but it wasnt that he "couldnt" tackle he took away half the field easily and was on what? 4 championship teams?

lol at you using polamalu as a tackling example, ive never seen him tackle anyone ever, only torpedo himself into the legs of offensive players...but i guess since you used him you think he'll be a hall lock? even though safeties rarely make it to the hall in general? if you are gonna say a great player like deion is overrated which i agree to an extent you have to say a great player like troy is overrated too which he clearly is.

its laughable to have kickers and linemen over one of the best players ever and one of the NFLs most reconized personalities, who btw does everything he can to help young players become great players in the NFL...that sounds like someone who should be in the pro football hall of fame to me

bettis btw was a backup RB on his championship team and spent the last 4 years of his career a backup to staley and parker and sure he scored alot of TDs but there was games where he had 2+ TDs and under 10 yards.....not exactly the epitome of greatness

25MVPKing
09-14-2010, 04:17 PM
If Polamalu and Bob Sanders stay healthy, they'd have a good shot. Doubt they will though. Bailey and Reed are locks IMHO. Woodson shouldn't have been first ballet. He was great with Steelers but Raiders and Ravens, notsomuch.

Deion being on all those championship teams means nothing except free agency era. If so, you'd def have to let in Steve Tasker, Andre Reed, and Darrell Talley for their time with the Bills. 4 straight Super Bowls is a more impressive feat than winning any single one.

You can't take away from Bettis because he was a goal-line back any more than the kickers who kick field goals but not kickoffs. He did his job. He wasn't asked to pound 35 times for 125 yards.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-14-2010, 04:27 PM
deion was the unquestioned best CB for a long time....if woodson was a first ballet then deion should have been let in a year early. he wasnt physical but it wasnt that he "couldnt" tackle he took away half the field easily and was on what? 4 championship teams?

lol at you using polamalu as a tackling example, ive never seen him tackle anyone ever, only torpedo himself into the legs of offensive players...but i guess since you used him you think he'll be a hall lock? even though safeties rarely make it to the hall in general? if you are gonna say a great player like deion is overrated which i agree to an extent you have to say a great player like troy is overrated too which he clearly is.

its laughable to have kickers and linemen over one of the best players ever and one of the NFLs most reconized personalities, who btw does everything he can to help young players become great players in the NFL...that sounds like someone who should be in the pro football hall of fame to me

bettis btw was a backup RB on his championship team and spent the last 4 years of his career a backup to staley and parker and sure he scored alot of TDs but there was games where he had 2+ TDs and under 10 yards.....not exactly the epitome of greatness

:clap::clap::clap: Sanders wasnt only a top 3 ALLTIME cornerback, he was HANDS DOWN one of the best return men ever. HE IS A LOCK!!!! LOL, i love when people say he couldnt tackle... he didnt have to very often! If QB's were DUMB enough to throw to his side of the field he usully ended up with the ball anyway! You dont have to like him, i personally hated him. Til he came to three rivers with the Reds and i was seated third base line. He stole third easily and me and a friend boo'ed and heckled him relentlessly. After he dusted him self off, he finally he looked at us (yeah right at us, its a pirates game... the stand were empty!! LOL) pointed, smiled and said "keep watchig boys i might just take home too!" I've been a fan ever since!!!:popcorn:

25MVPKing
09-14-2010, 05:13 PM
*cough* Night Train Lane, Mel Blount, Rod Woodson, Champ Bailey, & Werhli

^5 better corners that no sane person could even argue don't belong in the HOF. And since I mentioned Reed, I'll throw in Ronnie Lott to the above list as he's a DB.

Oh I'll give you Sanders is 1) a cocky b@$tard, and 2) a lock. Doesn't mean he's not overrated. The only reason he will get in is because he's in a position all about speed--and that fu<|<er was fast!

And for the record, I said he could be in as a return man. ;-)

airbrake 1
09-14-2010, 06:48 PM
i have never understood how donnie shell hasn't gotten in yet...his career numbers are very comparable to mel blount's numbers and yet he hardly ever get any recogintion even from the steeler nation...i know the voters cannot stand the thought of more 1970's era steelers getting in the hall but whats fair is fair donnie shell and lc greenwood have the goods for canton and should be duly enshrined...don't even get me started on dermontti dawson he was in my opinion the greatest center to ever play the game mike webster and dwight stephenson included .he should have been a first ballot unanimous decision how it has ever got this far is silly can anyone say steeler bias... wouldn't it be great if this year dermontti dawson,donnie shell,jerome bettis,kevin greene and gary anderson all went in together imagine the black and gold army that would descend on akron it would be a sight to behold indeed...we can only hope:tt02:

K Train
09-14-2010, 07:27 PM

^5 better corners that no sane person could even argue don't belong in the HOF. And since I mentioned Reed, I'll throw in Ronnie Lott to the above list as he's a DB.

Oh I'll give you Sanders is 1) a cocky b@$tard, and 2) a lock. Doesn't mean he's not overrated. The only reason he will get in is because he's in a position all about speed--and that fu<|<er was fast!

bailey has been notoriously overrated his whole career and hes a lock too....those 5 you listed are not better than sanders, no way. sanders is pretty easily the best ever and thats gonna be pretty much the consensus. and he wasnt a cocky bastard...thats so overrated, he was a very humble player with a pretty big personality being that he was always in the spot light....but not cocky. he wasnt shy but i would hardly call him cocky.

even if he was the most cocky, arrogant prick to ever walk the earth....it would all have nothing to do with his on field credentials which i dont even know how you can question he was unbelievable.

darnik44
09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Should be...

Marshall Faulk
Deion Sanders
Cris Carter
Shannon Sharpe
Dermontti Dawson
Chris Doleman
Paul Tagliabue
Donnie Shell

harpo
09-14-2010, 09:28 PM
bailey has been notoriously overrated his whole career and hes a lock too....those 5 you listed are not better than sanders, no way. sanders is pretty easily the best ever and thats gonna be pretty much the consensus. and he wasnt a cocky bastard...thats so overrated, he was a very humble player with a pretty big personality being that he was always in the spot light....but not cocky. he wasnt shy but i would hardly call him cocky.

even if he was the most cocky, arrogant prick to ever walk the earth....it would all have nothing to do with his on field credentials which i dont even know how you can question he was unbelievable.

This :plus1:

Steeler
09-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Thats is fantastic jerome bettis was my favoirite player for so long its nice to see he made the hall of fame

--- Added 9/15/2010 at 06:39 AM ---

Should be...

Marshall Faulk
Deion Sanders
Cris Carter
Shannon Sharpe
Dermontti Dawson
Chris Doleman
Paul Tagliabue
Donnie Shell

Wasn't Paul Tagliabue the NFL Commissioner for a while?:thinking:

--- Added 9/15/2010 at 06:41 AM ---

:clap:
This :plus1:

Very Well Said

Layin the wood
09-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Neon Deion was the best cover i ever saw!! That being said i think that he along with Dawson and Bettis belong in the HOF now! People will say that Bettis only played part time the last few years of his career but he carried this team for a decade!! Without him this team wouldnt have even sniffed the playoffs!!:imho:

steelcitysfinestXL
09-15-2010, 09:37 AM

I consider my self to be a sane person and i com[pletely disagree with just about everything you said. He was a showboat esp. early in his career. He was young and got a MONSTER contract for that time. He quickly found god and steered his attitude in the right direction. He was cocky, but NEVER the distraction tye like we have so many of today!

Steeler
09-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I know that he was really cocky but if Ihad as much talent as he did I would be too. I think before you judge him you should take that into consideration.:helmet:

kgreen
09-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Dawson should get in. He was the best C of his era!!!

He should have been in already........as for the Bus....I hope he gets it! He is one of my all-time favorite Steelers and he really does deserve it.