PDA

View Full Version : This offensive line is already better than 2009's unit?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2010, 01:06 PM
If the first game is any indication of how the offensive line will be in 2010, then Im pretty optimistic. Losing Starks hurts big time, there is no doubt. Even after he left though they were still able to pound the ball and for the most part keep Dixon upright. The pressure that did come through and get to Dennis mostly came from the left side where Scott was playing in place of Dixon.

It's being reported that Hills could get the start next weekend.

Pouncey was solid all day; he was keeping the middle stuffed and was able to handle his own. He was the right choice no question. The Falcons are a smaller unit up front and build for speed, and a lot of technique type pressure but nonetheless Pouncey played well. He'll get a tough test this coming week but Im sure he's up for it.

Flozell had a false start but overall the right side was pretty solid all day.

Kemo and Essex were pancaking defensive lineman and linebackers left and right.

Overall you have to be happy with these guys played. They opened up holes for Redman in those short yardage situations. On that final run by Mendenhall to seal the win, Heath Miller made a huge block to help spring him.

K Train
09-13-2010, 01:09 PM
2009 unit-hartwig+pouncey=magic

like ive said for years one dominating player on the line regardless of position makes everyone better...even essex looks great

starks going down opens the door for hills and could be a blessing in disguise....starks was being molested by abraham all day

harpo
09-13-2010, 01:27 PM
On that final run by Mendenhall to seal the win, Heath Miller made a huge block to help spring him.

Don't forget that block made by David Johnson on the outside, which prevented the SS from cutting Mendenhall off after he slipped through the hole.

Is it just me, or did that run play mirror the one Fast Willie Parker had in Super Bowl 40?

steelcitysfinestXL
09-13-2010, 01:32 PM
2009 unit-hartwig+pouncey=magic

like ive said for years one dominating player on the line regardless of position makes everyone better...even essex looks great

starks going down opens the door for hills and could be a blessing in disguise....starks was being molested by abraham all day

Yeah i like Hills to get the nod and Scott to dress as that swing lineman. If he plas the way he has all preseason the isnt any drop off there and maybe some improvement as Max wasnt overly impressive at times against Abe like K said. The O-line looked GREAT at times. Pouncey looks like his down feild blocking is rubbing off on the other guys. One play i saw Kemo and Scott SPRINTING down field to absolutely hammer 2 dbs simultaneously. Liking this Oline so far!

--- Added 9/13/2010 at 11:32 AM ---

Don't forget that block made by David Johnson on the outside, which prevented the SS from cutting Mendenhall off after he slipped through the hole.

Is it just me, or did that run play mirror the one Fast Willie Parker had in Super Bowl 40?

It did slightly resemble that run... the only difference was, like you said, David Johnson got the key kickout instead of pulling guard. Johnson hammered Peterson and drove him back into the DB eliminating two men on the play. GREAT block on really his only attempt as a FB. I look to see more of him in that role cause hes a beast!

KemoTherapy
09-13-2010, 01:53 PM
I guess it reinforces the notion that O-linemen love nothing better than rubbing people out in run blocking. Can't say I blame them as having to absorb the hits from linemen and linebackers in pass protection is a thankless job and must suck big time.

drucifer
09-13-2010, 02:26 PM
I guess it reinforces the notion that O-linemen love nothing better than rubbing people out in run blocking.

Agreed! Another reason why running to set up the pass is so effective, it's a motivational tool for the o-line. :cope:

jpele
09-13-2010, 02:29 PM
even essex looks great

That's stretching it a bit.

K Train
09-13-2010, 02:32 PM
by him not having to compensate for hartwig he actually got a push in the run game and stood his ground as a pass blocker...trust me i do not think hes a good option at guard, but he definitely showed he wasnt the worst possible option....he and hartwig combined to be the worst interior duo last year by far, clearly i think we can play hartwig

MattyVfromCT
09-13-2010, 03:09 PM

i thought the same exact thing when that play happened, just 25 yards shorter lol

SteelJunkie
09-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Well I know Pouncey made a difference, but I also think the line as a whole has played better under the new OL coach.

K Train
09-13-2010, 05:08 PM
pouncey is the glue....any oline coach could look better than one that was stuck with hartwig

Root4Stlrs
09-13-2010, 05:49 PM
If the first game is any indication of how the offensive line will be in 2010, then Im pretty optimistic.

Flozell had a false start but overall the right side was pretty solid all day.

Kemo and Essex were pancaking defensive lineman and linebackers left and right.

Overall you have to be happy with these guys played. They opened up holes for Redman in those short yardage situations. On that final run by Mendenhall to seal the win, Heath Miller made a huge block to help spring him.

Agree with what you said about the line. Someone (a Dallas fan who wishes they had Flo back after last night's game LOL) asked me if he had any false starts. Was it only the one? And did he get any holding calls? Sometimes the PA system in Heinz Field is hard to hear. Plus it was rocking yesterday.

$teelersRule
09-13-2010, 06:26 PM
I guess it reinforces the notion that O-linemen love nothing better than rubbing people out in run blocking. Can't say I blame them as having to absorb the hits from linemen and linebackers in pass protection is a thankless job and must suck big time.

really??? i feel like you could have worded this a tad better! hahah :lol::lol:

HUNT4SEVEN
09-13-2010, 10:56 PM
The O-Line is not only better than 09 but 08 also, Pouncey is the true difference, but i'm not sold on Essex he did ok, but i was ok with the over all performance of the O-Line yesterday, with Ben behind this type of line we will score alot of points, if he played yesterday no way would the game have been as close as it was yesterday...

Danger DANJ
09-14-2010, 01:33 AM
A few times I saw Pouncey and Kemo down field leveling guys. Pouncey definitely makes the O-line much better. On that Mendy TD, it was Miller, Johnson and Ward that all sprung Mendy free. Together they opened a huge hole. Anybody could run through that hole.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Pouncey made the OL better the minute he was drafted....I stated many times that Pouncey will be the best center to come out in the past 15-20 years........I also think old man Flo is an upgrade over Colon..........

steelcitysfinestXL
09-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Pouncey made the OL better the minute he was drafted....I stated many times that Pouncey will be the best center to come out in the past 15-20 years........I also think old man Flo is an upgrade over Colon..........

:plus1: Pouncey, like I know K, yourself and I have said before here, will allow Juicy and Essex to be better players. They wont have to worry about the guy inside of them handling his man. Hartwig got beat and always required help. Pouncey not only moves his man but he gets to the second level in HURRY. LOVE this kid already!

Goodfrom55
09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Line looked much better - starting with Mo-Pounce. Would like to see less predictable running plays based on formation and down and distance.

harpo
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Well I know Pouncey made a difference, but I also think the line as a whole has played better under the new OL coach.

I was waiting on someone to mention Sean Kugler (O-Line coach). I know it's only one game, but I think he's done a good job with this O-Line so far. I just hope he can keep up the good work. :yellowthumb:

AZ_Steeler
09-14-2010, 03:56 PM
It's been one game... way way to early to say this line is better than last years. They are on pace for giving up 48 sacks already. I guess that is slightly better than the 50 from last year and the 49 from the year before... time will tell but I am not holding breath on this one.

Danger DANJ
09-14-2010, 04:54 PM
It's been one game... way way to early to say this line is better than last years. They are on pace for giving up 48 sacks already. I guess that is slightly better than the 50 from last year and the 49 from the year before... time will tell but I am not holding breath on this one.

I think you have to adjust for the Big Ben factor. The last two years would have been way more than 49 or 50 sacks with Dixon or anybody else at QB. With Ben, he is big enough to shake guys off of him and get the ball out. I saw a nice pocket for Dixon to sit in numerous times. I feel like I hardly ever saw that in previous years. If the O-line can keep doing that for Ben, Ben will have a field day.

AZ_Steeler
09-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Now on pace to give up 56 sacks...

steelersbabex25
09-19-2010, 11:01 PM
They WERE better with no injuries. Now we'll have to see when we get Essex and Starks back.