PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed's performance today

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 08:18 PM
We needed everyone of Reed's FG's to stay in the game. I can't fault him much for that 55 yd miss. He had more than enough leg it just took a bad bounce off the uprights. The 52 yd was money. I was absolutely shocked when he pulled that final attempt to the right that would have most likely won us the game. I fully expected him to nail it. The snap was good, hold was good, he just botched it.

Tomlin said he'd give Reed the chance at that 55 yd anytime and knew it was just bad luck with that bounce.

Thank goodness for the defense to bail us out of that missed attempt but wow...

beaver688
09-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Time to start prepareing a new kicker IMO.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 08:50 PM
I don't have a problem with Jeff as our kicker; he's usually Mr. Automatic inside the 40 and a high percentage inside the 45. He made some plays today but that last one is a gut wrencher. It's early on, perhaps some nerves got the best of him or just flat out had a bad kick. Either way Im looking for him to move forward. His FG's kept us in the game all day.

LatrobePA
09-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Shame on Tomlin for trying the 55 yarder, we saw what happened after that ATL marched down to tie it up.

That miss f'd with Reeds' brain IMO.

We won, but let's hope he spends more time kicking the point after...

nuclearchihuahuas
09-12-2010, 09:08 PM
I thought the wind was a big factor in the one he missed late in the game. He should have adjusted farther to the left but it was swirling badly at that end. Jeff seemed to have more strength in his leg tonight. I agree though, it would be in our best interest to start looking for another kicker next year.

PsychoWard
09-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Shame on Tomlin for trying the 55 yarder, we saw what happened after that ATL marched down to tie it up.

That miss f'd with Reeds' brain IMO.

We won, but let's hope he spends more time kicking the point after...

No way you can fault Tomlin for that!!! Reed has two jobs as a pro football player #1 to make field goals and #2 to kickoff! You can't fault Tomlin for having faith in his kicker!

SnakeEyes43
09-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm split on Reed. I am a little sick of his off-field antics, but they don't call him Mr. Automatic for nothing. He is a very dependable kicker, but I don't know.

LatrobePA
09-12-2010, 09:19 PM
55 yarder in that stadium is f'n unheard of, that's where Tomlin is to blame. Not meaning the 40 yarder.

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 09:22 PM
I thought the wind was a big factor in the one he missed late in the game. He should have adjusted farther to the left but it was swirling badly at that end. Jeff seemed to have more strength in his leg tonight. I agree though, it would be in our best interest to start looking for another kicker next year.

This. I think it was primarily the wind..same thing happened to Bryant when he was kicking that way. I don't mind Reed's FGs kicks as much as I do his kickoff. He got one into the end zone but he had a few that only got to around the 10 yd line.

PsychoWard
09-12-2010, 09:25 PM
55 yarder in that stadium is f'n unheard of, that's where Tomlin is to blame. Not meaning the 40 yarder.

I don't know if you have ever been to a game in the Burgh, but i have and i have personally seen Reed nail 60 yards in practice time after time, after all it is his HOME stadium! I personally wasn't too happy with reed but he did get us into sudden death!!!

LatrobePA
09-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Gotcha, I guess practice with no rush a 60 yarder is possible, my bad....

PsychoWard
09-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Gotcha, I guess practice with no rush a 60 yarder is possible, my bad....

That's his ****ing job he doesn't have to catch,tackle or even block... His sole goal is to kick the ball though the uprights when he is called upon! I don't understand how you can fault Tomlin for Reed missing a 55 yarder that is just retarded!!!

SteelDad
09-12-2010, 09:53 PM
3 for 5 with one miss being from 55 is usually a good day, but you cannot, I repeat, cannot miss a 40 yarder to essentially win the game after the defense makes a huge play like that.

Prosdo
09-12-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't care for Jeff Reed. His kickoffs are weak and hurt special teams. Today he missed a clutch 40 yard field goal that he shouldn't have missed. Thankfully it didn't cost us the game. That's not even including what a tool he is off the field.

Real Deal Steel
09-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Reed was our offense for most of the day. And I guess him hitting that 53 yarder earlier gave Tomlin confidence he could hit a 55 yarder later.

But Reed really pissed me off missing that 26 yarder. But we move on.

igor0190
09-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Are you guys serious about questioning the 55 yarder? Reed had the distance on that for a 60! It went a little squirly on him at the end there, otherwise it was a great kick.

Dobre Shunka
09-13-2010, 12:26 AM
This guy has been money for us basically his entire career. You do have to put him in range of his foot but when you do you can pretty much put a nail in it.

Cut him some slack.

Dan*Rooney
09-13-2010, 12:30 AM
I was more concerned with Randle El returning punts than Jeff Reed on FGs. What the hell was that?

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Reed is usually money with his field goals at Heinz.....I thought Tomlin shouldn't have attempted the 55 yard field but Reed almost made it........The 40 yard miss was bad but the wind is tricky at the open end of Heinz Field........Still Reed should have made that kick to win the game.......

SnakeEyes43
09-13-2010, 01:00 AM
I was more concerned with Randle El returning punts than Jeff Reed on FGs. What the hell was that?

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. "Are we in 04'-05'?" But Sanders dropped that punt (or kick?) in the end zone and never came back out. After he dropped it El took over.

JensK
09-13-2010, 02:01 AM
That's his ****ing job he doesn't have to catch,tackle or even block... His sole goal is to kick the ball though the uprights when he is called upon! I don't understand how you can fault Tomlin for Reed missing a 55 yarder that is just retarded!!!

Because there was a shitton of wind today. 55y, under pressure, with crazy sidewind is bad playcalling more than a bad kick, because the kick was actually pretty good. As for practice kicks - they are just able to kick it longer there. If you go to TC, you see them boom 60ys all the time, even the backups, but you RARELY see it in NFL, because its much much harder in an actual game.

Layin the wood
09-13-2010, 09:56 AM
He had plenty of leg on his FG attempts so i wont falt MT for going for the field goal in that situation but its hard to kick in HF. The 55 yard field goal that hit the upright could have been good from 60 :imho:.

SteelDad
09-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Are you guys serious about questioning the 55 yarder? Reed had the distance on that for a 60! It went a little squirly on him at the end there, otherwise it was a great kick.

It isn't about whether or not he can make it. Obviously he had the leg.... It's about field position. All it was going to take ATL was one or two throws and they'd have a legitmate FG opportunity and that's what happened. Sure, if he makes, it's a great decision, but he didn't and we gave them 3 points.

JensK
09-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Also, i find it funny that everyone says that he obviously have the leg.. The longest FG Reed have ever made in an actual game is 53y. Sure, this one had the distance, but Tomlin had no idea that he would be able to kick it that far, as he have never done it before. It was a very risky call, and it did not pay off this time.

Blazedby92
09-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Also, i find it funny that everyone says that he obviously have the leg.. The longest FG Reed have ever made in an actual game is 53y. Sure, this one had the distance, but Tomlin had no idea that he would be able to kick it that far, as he have never done it before. It was a very risky call, and it did not pay off this time.

I am sure he can kick further than 53y, just because he doesn't have a stat that says it doesn't mean he can't do it plus I am sure MT knows his players well enough to know what they can and can't do, he is the guy that conducts the practices you know.:popcorn:

JensK
09-13-2010, 12:30 PM
I am sure he can kick further than 53y, just because he doesn't have a stat that says it doesn't mean he can't do it plus I am sure MT knows his players well enough to know what they can and can't do, he is the guy that conducts the practices you know.:popcorn:

There is a difference between being able to kick further than 53y and actually do it. It's not like this was his only attempt ever over 53y and he have never ever made on in an actual game. As for the Tomlin knowing his players part, thats a vague argument - kicking in practice and in an actual game is two different things. Word out of TC was that even that Checz guy or however you spell his name, was booming 60y FGs consistently, yet he got waived. If practice was an indication and tomlin know his players so well, that other kicker woulda been the FG kicker now. Besides, if we were to use that argument everytime, this forum would not be a very visited place, as we could never question anything Steelers did, because you know... Tomlin knows best.

Kicking a 55y FG, with a kicker who have never made it that far in an actual game, in real bad wind, on HF, in a game where field position was the deciding factor (more or less), kicking it there was a stupid call. It's not like it matters now, as we won the game and everyone is happy, but i still think it was a stupid call.

SteelCityKid5
09-13-2010, 01:39 PM
9/15 points. The guy kept us in the game. Yeah he had a costly miss but we wouldn't have been in a position to win if it wasnt for him.

Layin the wood
09-13-2010, 01:45 PM
9/15 points. The guy kept us in the game. Yeah he had a costly miss but we wouldn't have been in a position to win if it wasnt for him.

:plus1:

steelersbabex25
09-13-2010, 05:41 PM

On a side note..the 52 yarder or whatever it was that he kicked earlier in the game was probably good for well over 60. So Tomlin probably assumed that he'd be able to do it again.

SteelDad
09-13-2010, 06:21 PM
On a side note..the 52 yarder or whatever it was that he kicked earlier in the game was probably good for well over 60. So Tomlin probably assumed that he'd be able to do it again.

Exactly. Kickers are an odd bunch. There are days when they can kill it from 65 and then days where they can't get it to the damn end zone from 50. JR obviously had his strength yesterday and the weather conditions were somewhat favorable.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-13-2010, 10:17 PM
IMO knowing the wind conditions i thought he should of opted to pin them deep, I'm just glad it didn't cost us the game...

Root4Stlrs
09-14-2010, 07:40 AM

Troyisabeast_43
09-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Reed has to make those kicks in my opinion like he always has in the past. When you come out and whine and complain about not getting a new deal worked out and then go tank a 39 yard game winning FG in the final minutes of a game I dont have much sympathy for Jeff Reed. Youre paid to kick FG's and win games like the one on Sunday and despite the 3 that he made his one sure miss very well could have and probably should have cost the Steelers the game...The bottom line is makes your kicks Jeff when youre suppose too and shut up about your contract and bad mouthing the organization...

Goodfrom55
09-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Reed is a better left has kicker than a right hash kicker. Faith in Reed is fine, but with 30 seconds on the clock before half, I punt from there, pin them, they take a knee, and Steelers go in with a lead.

It worked out, but if that situation presents itself again, I hope Tomlin punts.