PDA

View Full Version : Troy with the big INT; also struggled some as well

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Let's face it, Troy struggled alittle bit today. He missed a couple tackles and was out of place on some big plays. However he also was instrumental in stopping the run game and made the HUGE interception that could have won the game.

It's going to take some time for him to get back to his old self but he showed flashes today and personally I couldn't be happier to see 43 back in there.

harpo
09-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Let's face it, Troy struggled alittle bit today. He missed a couple tackles and was out of place on some big plays. However he also was instrumental in stopping the run game and made the HUGE interception that could have won the game.

It's going to take some time for him to get back to his old self but he showed flashes today and personally I couldn't be happier to see 43 back in there.

I agree wholeheartedly. I think his timing was off...especially in the 1st half. He played better in the 2nd half. He should be back to his old self when we play the Ravens.

Dan*Rooney
09-12-2010, 05:01 PM

His tackling has always been questionable. He played well in my opinion. The thing about him is he was in position to make several plays. He almost tipped that pitch by Ryan for 6 and was pretty good in run support.

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
I think that int made up for anything he did wrong..that catch was textbook. Too bad they didn't do anything with it..

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 05:05 PM
His tackling has always been questionable. He played well in my opinion. The thing about him is he was in position to make several plays. He almost tipped that pitch by Ryan for 6 and was pretty good in run support.

No doubt, that play where he got in the backfield was amazing. How in the world did he get there so fast..LOL. You just gotta love his intensity. Nearly every time they strung out the running plays of Atlanta, Troy was up there going against TE's and Offensive lineman to force Turner to bounce it outside.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I think that int made up for anything he did wrong..that catch was textbook. Too bad they didn't do anything with it..

AGREED:yellowthumb: we are better with him than without him...

SnakeEyes43
09-12-2010, 05:40 PM
AGREED:yellowthumb: we are better with him than without him...

No doubt. A Troy that is off a little bit is 1,000 times better than a 100% Carter. Haha.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I knew it everybody would give Troy a free pass...lol But most want to keep knocking Dixon......Troy was on my **** list until his INT......Some of u among the fan base think he is the best player in the NFL......lol I'm just harder on the players that are more established and I expect Troy to make those INT's........Especially if he is the so called best player in the NFL........Hopefully the wind doesn't blow to hard next week so he doesn't get hurt again.....lol

Dan*Rooney
09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
I knew it everybody would give Troy a free pass...lol But most want to keep knocking Dixon......Troy was on my **** list until his INT......Some of u among the fan base think he is the best player in the NFL......lol I'm just harder on the players that are more established and I expect Troy to make those INT's........Especially if he is the so called best player in the NFL........Hopefully the wind doesn't blow to hard next week so he doesn't get hurt again.....lol

Right our defense didn't look any better with Troy in. It's not like we were able to close the game twice this time or anything. Dixon played ok though, right?

Were you watching the right game?

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 06:14 PM
I never said Dixon played an ok game...lol All I'm saying what did you expect from a QB making his 2nd career start?....... You guys continue to freak out with those INT's Troy makes....Yea when healthy he is great and you know what he should make those plays....Excuse me I expect a great player to be great......Excuse me also for giving some more time for a QB making his 2nd career start to develop...lol

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I think the reason we're freaking out about the int is because we hadn't seen too many of them last year. I forgot what it was like :dunno:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 06:17 PM
I know and it was a great play....Point being great players should make great plays....Lets just hope his fragile *** stays healthy all year.....

Dan*Rooney
09-12-2010, 06:30 PM
I never said Dixon played an ok game...lol All I'm saying what did you expect from a QB making his 2nd career start?....... You guys continue to freak out with those INT's Troy makes....Yea when healthy he is great and you know what he should make those plays....Excuse me I expect a great player to be great......Excuse me also for giving some more time for a QB making his 2nd career start to develop...lol

He's a 3rd year QB. Quit acting like he's a rookie.

'Fragile' brings more to the table than INTs. His at the right spot on the field at the right time. He also has a lot of closing speed. QBs have to and do take this into account. But whatever floats your boat. I guess you were more impressed with Tyrone back there.

Speeed
09-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I think it was more like him playing like a most other safeties in the league, not so much him playing bad. He did not have a bad game per-se, rather he had a solid game. Many of us focused on his performance for obvious reasons. My expectation is he becomes more of a a factor as we need him.

UKSTEELER
09-12-2010, 07:37 PM
First game of the season, long layoff for him, just feeling his way back in.

Yet, . . . Troy has a solid game and comes up big when it matters we've a great play on the ball. A game changing play.

Welcome back Taz.:helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 07:40 PM

There was a time when Troy was probably the best overall player in the league; or atleast the best Safety. The last couple seasons with his nagging knee injuries and especially last year missing 11 games really brought him back to the pack. His performance today when he made that INT was vintage Troy that we're all used to seeing a few years ago. It will take him some time to get back to his old self, that just comes with playing and staying healthy. I fully expect Troy to be a force all year long and to do everything we need and then some. We are definitely a better unit when he is on the field because defenses still have to respect him.

LatrobePA
09-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Troy over pursued in open field today, but got good pressure and made up for it with a beauty INT!

SteelDad
09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
When you have a guy that is a true difference-maker on defense, you have to analyze more than just the stats or a few plays that you watched him exclusively during the game. The Falcons ran away from him almost every time each approached the LOS. When he blitzed on passing downs, he was either picked up or Ryan was rolling away from him. Was this a great game for TP, no it was not, but his presence on the field creates problems for the opposition and creates opportunities for other defenders. It was clear that ATL was very concerned about where he was today, no doubt about it.

JensK
09-13-2010, 02:12 AM
I love Troy to death, but he played way off today. It honestly seemed like he tried to over do it all game long. That, mixed with the fact that he probably was a little cautious about whether hes knee would hold up, most likely translated into it. He did not have a single good tackle, he did not make any splash plays other than the Interception etc. Sure, the Int. was a good play by Troy, but Ryan never looked anywhere else than where he threw the ball. All safeties should be able to make that Interception, or at least knock the ball down.

With that being said, i hope its just a little rust mixed with some cautiousness about the knee, and he'll be much better against Titans. We sure will need him.

NorCalSteel
09-13-2010, 03:11 AM
WOW you guys are amazing. Troy was all over the field today and made and influenced a TON of plays and is getting critisized by the weekend warrior group. SAD

JensK
09-13-2010, 03:13 AM
WOW you guys are amazing. Troy was all over the field today and made and influenced a TON of plays and is getting critisized by the weekend warrior group. SAD

Its fine to be all over the field, but he did not wrap up a single tackle. He did, however, whiff on quite a few. Id say, for a guy being "all over the field", 3 tackles in a whole game is not a whole lot...

steelcitysfinestXL
09-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Troy was troy... with out that INT he WOULD of had a bad game for sure. Good in run support, so-so in pass coverage and one good Ball-hawking play that was more timely than spectacular. Typical Troy. For most safeties thats a good game. For him thats pretty average. He is labeled and is the best safety in the NFL, so a game like that was pretty average at best.

I also find it amazing how Troy is the defensive player were talking most about when Lawrence Timmons played his *** off... hats off to LT, he's making a believer out of me!!!!

Sir Blitzelot
09-13-2010, 08:42 AM
It's going to take some time before Troy is fully back to playing like his old self. He is just rusty right now. I mean, it's to be expected, he missed the majority of the season last year.

harpo
09-13-2010, 09:27 AM
It's going to take some time before Troy is fully back to playing like his old self. He is just rusty right now. I mean, it's to be expected, he missed the majority of the season last year.

Exactly......his timing was off. :plus1:He played like crap in the first half. In the 2nd half, he played much better. I say he should be back to his old self by week 4.

coldrolled
09-13-2010, 09:35 AM
We need to put CB's on the field that can catch balls.. We need a #1 draft pick here.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-13-2010, 09:41 AM
We need to put CB's on the field that can catch balls.. We need a #1 draft pick here.

Our Dbs played lights out. McFadden looks like he never missed a beat and Ike played well also. Yeah Roddey White had 110 yards, but he had 20+ balls thrown at him and he was the ONLY player to do ANYTHING. Kudos to Ike and B-Mac, Willie Gay made some nice reads and had a few nice jumps to, i like him as a NB.

coldrolled
09-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Our Dbs played lights out. McFadden looks like he never missed a beat and Ike played well also. Yeah Roddey White had 110 yards, but he had 20+ balls thrown at him and he was the ONLY player to do ANYTHING. Kudos to Ike and B-Mac, Willie Gay made some nice reads and had a few nice jumps to, i like him as a NB.

they played great... they cant catch.

Layin the wood
09-13-2010, 10:02 AM

:plus1:. I thought our DB's had a good game today. Much improved from last year!!!

LarryNJ
09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Sure, the Int. was a good play by Troy, but Ryan never looked anywhere else than where he threw the ball. All safeties should be able to make that Interception, or at least knock the ball down.

He didn't look anywhere else because he saw the CB stepping back and figured that was the play because the wr would be wide open. The defensive call caused him to only make that read. The defense worked just like it was drawn out on that play.

Blazedby92
09-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I also find it amazing how Troy is the defensive player were talking most about when Lawrence Timmons played his *** off... hats off to LT, he's making a believer out of me!!!!

:plus1::plus1: I also seen Ziggy in quite a few plays too and yes B-Mac is showing us why we brought him back.

igor0190
09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Don't forget to consider that the Falcons really only have one top notch WR and TE. Jenkins was out, and he's not even very good. Our first real good receiving corps will be week 4 vs the Rats. That will be a test for our secondary for sure.

Tennessee's D-Line will be a major test for our O-Line this week.

JensK
09-13-2010, 11:02 AM
He didn't look anywhere else because he saw the CB stepping back and figured that was the play because the wr would be wide open. The defensive call caused him to only make that read. The defense worked just like it was drawn out on that play.

The thing is, he had been making that throw a million times during the game without Troy making the interception. All I'm saying is that there was nothing great over the Interception. A decent ballhawking safety makes that Interception eventually, if the QB keeps making the same throws. If he does that because LeBeau lures him into doing it, i don't know - Probably tho, as they changed schemes a couple of times during the game.

LarryNJ
09-13-2010, 11:22 AM
The thing is, he had been making that throw a million times during the game without Troy making the interception. All I'm saying is that there was nothing great over the Interception. A decent ballhawking safety makes that Interception eventually, if the QB keeps making the same throws.

That's very true, it was far from "great" but the timing of it made it "big"

Dan*Rooney
09-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Don't forget to consider that the Falcons really only have one top notch WR and TE. Jenkins was out, and he's not even very good. Our first real good receiving corps will be week 4 vs the Rats. That will be a test for our secondary for sure.

Tennessee's D-Line will be a major test for our O-Line this week.

Nate Washington will be a test for our secondary? I'm more worried about Vince Young taking off with the ball.

If we want to win, we're going to need a better performance from Jason Campbe...err Dennis Dixon.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Nate Washington will be a test for our secondary? I'm more worried about Vince Young taking off with the ball.

If we want to win, we're going to need a better performance from Jason Campbe...err Dennis Dixon.

Read the post, he said the Rats will be our first real test of the secondary... :evilshake:
With Tennessee having the best running back in the NFL, i was more worried when the Titans had Kerry Collins. While Young is an athelete, i still dont see him consistantly winning with his skill set. Collins throws one of the best deep balls in the league. So you couldnt throw 8 guys in the box cause Collins WOULD beat you deep. Now throwing 8 guys in the box stops TEN's two bggest threats: Johnson and VY's running abilities.

Slow the run game and force VY to make decisions under pressure. He isnt the sharpest tool in the shed and thats well documented. Ill be interested to see what Lebeau throws at him.

coldrolled
09-13-2010, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=DanRooney;361097] I'm more worried about Vince Young taking off with the ball.
QUOTE]

I thought NFL QB's are supposed to stay in the pocket...???

Young and Vick can run but DD cant?...

Blazedby92
09-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Read the post, he said the Rats will be our first real test of the secondary... :evilshake:

Slow the run game and force VY to make decisions under pressure. He isnt the sharpest tool in the shed and thats well documented. Ill be interested to see what Lebeau throws at him.

:lol:get em XL, I am not worried about VY, I remember him saying everytime the camera went in his face at the longhorns practice his senior year "I'm going to be the next Micheal Vick".... Well Vince your almost there, you can't hit a broadside of a barn and you make one hell of a RB/QB all you need now is some jailtime.

NorCalSteel
09-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Its fine to be all over the field, but he did not wrap up a single tackle. He did, however, whiff on quite a few. Id say, for a guy being "all over the field", 3 tackles in a whole game is not a whole lot...

I am not sure how you watch a game. I saw Troy standing up people at the line of scrimage all day forcing run plays outside so the line backers could clean it up. Getting penitration disrupting plays. I thought he played a great game. You just cant measure a perfomance by tackles alone. Yes he left some on the table ,but go rewatch the game and check it out.

JensK
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I am not sure how you watch a game. I saw Troy standing up people at the line of scrimage all day forcing run plays outside so the line backers could clean it up. Getting penitration disrupting plays. I thought he played a great game. You just cant measure a perfomance by tackles alone. Yes he left some on the table ,but go rewatch the game and check it out.

All im saying is, for all the hype and all the high expectations, i don't think he had that great of a game before the interception. Sure, he lines up around LOS, but all safeties can do that. Sure, they may be respecting Troy more than most, but my point is that he did not play lights out. He is missing too many tackles etc. As i've said, i do think its because he is rusty and that he is a little cautious about that knee - i just don't agree that he was that great :)

steelcitysfinestXL
09-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I am not sure how you watch a game. I saw Troy standing up people at the line of scrimage all day forcing run plays outside so the line backers could clean it up. Getting penitration disrupting plays.

I think most posters on here that are disagreeing with you... like me, expect that kind of game week in and week out from Troy. I know i call him the best safety in the NFL, he didnt earn that praise yesterday, not hardly. He played pretty solid. His openning game last year, now that was a GREAT first half. Yesterday, to me, was just Troy being Troy. Nothing exceptional for him.

Dan*Rooney
09-13-2010, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=DanRooney;361097] I'm more worried about Vince Young taking off with the ball.
QUOTE]

I thought NFL QB's are supposed to stay in the pocket...???

Young and Vick can run but DD cant?...

Never said NFL QBs are supposed to stay in the pocket. I don't know where you heard that from I've encouraged Dixon to run every single chance he gets. Lord knows he can't throw worth a damn.

And to answer your 2nd question, apparently not. 1 roll out from DD the entire game.

JensK
09-13-2010, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=coldrolled;361106]

Never said NFL QBs are supposed to stay in the pocket. I don't know where you heard that from I've encouraged Dixon to run every single chance he gets. Lord knows he can't throw worth a damn.

And to answer your 2nd question, apparently not. 1 roll out from DD the entire game.

Roll Outs are normally designed plays called, so we all know it aint going to happen as long as Arians is calling the plays. Bootlegs... whats that? :thinking: :evilshake:

Dan*Rooney
09-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Exactly. Too busy patting Dixon on the *** to give a damn about Troy :lol:

steelcitysfinestXL
09-13-2010, 05:06 PM

Nobody is dis-crediting what Troy did... just saying, I expect that from an ALL-PRO safety. You're kinda funny: you like to celebrate an ALL-PRO player's mediocracy ... while GREATLY over exagerrating, even bashing a 2 game starters mediocracy. You're gonna fit rigt in here at SA :banging:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Nobody is dis-crediting what Troy did... just saying, I expect that from an ALL-PRO safety. You're kinda funny: you like to celebrate an ALL-PRO player's mediocracy ... while GREATLY over exagerrating, even bashing a 2 game starters mediocracy. You're gonna fit rigt in here at SA :banging:

Thank you and well said my friend.....I don't ball wash Troy like most on this site and in this fan base.....Like you said we expect that type of play from Troy.....But take away Troy's INT and Troy had a very poor game.....He was to reckless with his tackles and really average in coverage.....He baited Matty Ice into that INT and it was a great play but he should make those type of plays.....lol

NorCalSteel
09-13-2010, 09:02 PM
I think most posters on here that are disagreeing with you... like me, expect that kind of game week in and week out from Troy. I know i call him the best safety in the NFL, he didnt earn that praise yesterday, not hardly. He played pretty solid. His openning game last year, now that was a GREAT first half. Yesterday, to me, was just Troy being Troy. Nothing exceptional for him.

Alot of people on hear are very ignorant of all the ins and outs of a game of football. Thats not my fault.

I have seen Troy play better games. I was just very happy to see him disrupting the Falcons they way he was. In preseason he was really off. I am sure he will get better.

Troyisabeast_43
09-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Troy will be fine and will continue to get better...McFadden in my opinion needs to play better. While he did hold Roddy White to not making any huge deep plays he still gave up way too many completions to him and needs to play better especially with the kind of receivers the Steelers are going to see in the AFC North now 4 times this season with Owens,Ocho,Whosyourmomma,and Boldin...

K Train
09-14-2010, 09:36 AM

you are just a sheep that is blinded by the hair....watch him play instead of listening to espn blow him and being in a dazed trance like zomg his hair is so long and he is always on the camera

he made an excellent play on that last drive but he was very mediocre the rest of the game.

i need to stay away from threads like this, they give me a headache

K Train
09-14-2010, 09:40 AM

so you expect our backup QB to play like an every game starter but you are ok with the very high paid pro bowl safety playing like *** for 95% of the game? patting dixon on the back for not ****ing up isnt as bad as giving polamalu a free pass because his name is polamalu and gets cool shampoo commercials.

again just a sheep

Blazedby92
09-14-2010, 10:22 AM
DING DING :yesno::popcorn:

Troy appsolutely played like crap not only did he not wrap up on his tackles he whiffed so many times. That's typical Troy but much worse.

LatrobePA
09-14-2010, 10:32 AM
DING DING :yesno::popcorn:

Troy appsolutely played like crap not only did he not wrap up on his tackles he whiffed so many times. That's typical Troy but much worse.

I agree 100%, he was a dud until the INT, that was the only thing that helped his stock.

But lets keep in mind this is the first real live action he has seen in a while besides limited preseason...He'll get better!

harpo
09-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Even Troy thought he played a bad game until that INT.

Here's a quote from him:

""Other than the one play, it wasn't what I thought it should have been."

Read more: Steeler's Polamalu has more to give (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10257/1087384-87.stm#ixzz0zWUe0LIE)