PDA

View Full Version : Steelers secondary overall performance

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 04:51 PM
With Troy back I expected the secondary to be back where they left off a few years ago..which was probably a mistake on my part. Am I being too harsh? Because I personally feel like 75% of ATL's completions where wide open passes with nobody within 5 yards of the receiver. I don't know..correct me if I'm wrong.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 04:55 PM
It's you.. The secondary was not horrible at all. BMac missed some tackles but he also made some huge plays. Ike was all over the field today. Troy is getting his sea legs back. Clark made some nice plays.

Give them time, it's only week 1. Ryan only had 252 yds passing, that isn't all that much. Plus his QB rating was lower than Dixon's.

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
It's you.. The secondary was not horrible at all. BMac missed some tackles but he also made some huge plays. Ike was all over the field today. Troy is getting his sea legs back. Clark made some nice plays.

Give them time, it's only week 1. Ryan only had 252 yds passing, that isn't all that much. Plus his QB rating was lower than Dixon's.

Oh..okay. :lol: Just seemed like too many receivers were left wide open to me.

Dan*Rooney
09-12-2010, 04:59 PM
The secondary was awesome. At least Bryant McFadden. The man is playing like he was in 2008. GREAT coverage on White throughout the game when he was man-to-man. I'm really glad we got him back.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 05:01 PM
White made some plays today but overall the guys in the back came up big when they had too. The sacks and errant throws were due in a big way to the great coverage down the field. There is room for improvement but I like what I see so far.

harpo
09-12-2010, 05:02 PM

Agreed. The secondary played very well today. They kept everything in front of them, and basically took Gonzalez and Harry Douglas out of the game.

Even William Gay played well as a NB. He should've had a INT. Ryan Clark was in the right positions for most of the game and Bryant McFadden made some great tackles.

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Alright alright fine. All I can remember is the 20 yd passes with nobody near the receiver..maybe that's why I didn't think they did too well..

xxxsteelernation
09-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Our D looked great yea they bent a little but allowed a very very high powered offence to only 3 field goals. Yea i thought there was the heat of the moment and fearing the worst "how could you let that pass get through. But ultimatly this is what i expected for our first game from our d.

harpo
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Alright alright fine. All I can remember is the 20 yd passes with nobody near the receiver..maybe that's why I didn't think they did too well..

A lot of those passes occurred when the Steelers blitzed and the Falcons o-line picked up the blitz. If you send the pressure and it gets picked up, the QB will most likely find the open WR, which Ryan did.

lloydfan4life
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
:lol: as fans I think each week we'd all like to see the oposing team have zero yards passing, zero yards rushing and a big fat zero on the score board. (at least that's MY pipe dream... :rofl: )

Bottom line is the guys played well today and stepped up when they needed to. This is the kind of game that went down to the wire last year and ended up being a loss for us more times than not. I'm encouraged after this first game and look forward to seeing them improve week after week this season!

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Fine I was wrong :crying: I'm so sorry. :lol:

HUNT4SEVEN
09-12-2010, 05:09 PM
It's definitely u:lol: The secondary is fine B-Mac played good today as well as the rest of the D-back field, there was not alot of deep passes being thrown and if Gay had some hands he would of had a game changing INT for a touchdown we are good on defense i just hope Big Snack is not out for long...

coldrolled
09-12-2010, 05:18 PM
It's definitely u:lol: The secondary is fine B-Mac played good today as well as the rest of the D-back field, there was not alot of deep passes being thrown and if Gay had some hands he would of had a game changing INT for a touchdown we are good on defense i just hope Big Snack is not out for long...

Too bad butler is the rookie,, he would have had 2 picks that gay missed, butler has the hands.

igor0190
Fine I was wrong :crying: I'm so sorry. :lol:

Heh, yeah they played good.... Reason guys were so wide open is we were bringin the blitzes on thos plays.

harpo
Too bad butler is the rookie,, he would have had 2 picks that gay missed, butler has the hands.

Yes, he does. :yellowthumb:

SnakeEyes43
09-12-2010, 05:44 PM
It's you....I loved the way our DBs played today. Solid tackling and they played very aggressive. Also they were very good about not giving up any huge yardage completions. I was very pleased with the secondary.

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Alright alright, it's me, I understand.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 06:03 PM
LeBeau always has his corners give somewhat of a cushion....He does this to prevent the big play to allow his corners to make the play once its caught.......

I didn't see no 40-50 yard plays especially for TD's......So I'll take this performance by the secondary......

--- Added 9/12/2010 at 05:03 PM ---

I agree Butler has very good ball skills.....I hope he is among the 48 active on game days down the road......

SteelerSteve
09-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Alright alright, it's me, I understand. Just in case you didn't hear....Its you. :greengrin:

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Just in case you didn't hear....Its you. :greengrin:

No problem. Keep the hits coming. I can take it.

Iron City South
09-12-2010, 06:30 PM

I agree with this post. Our secondary played pretty well today considering. McFadden was all over the field and was applying fantastic coverage.

Ike was being Ike and giving a 6 yd cushion, but not giving up anything long.

Solid performance all around. Gay has taken a LOT of criticism for his performance last year and deservingly so ... but the guy is a natural at the nickle.

Speeed
09-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I don't think the deep 2/3 of the secondary is horrible. Deep they are okay, what is embarrassing and unacceptable is the fact that any team can complete 10 -15 yard slants/screens/ short routes to WR's or TE's all day long. That has been my mantra for the past two years. Opposing tight ends have a field day on us.

If I were planning to play the Steelers, I would throw 90% of time. If that is the strategy, and that is done 20- 25 times a game, it will yield points both via TD and FG's.

Regardless, I think they looked good. I was fully expecting a loss. Dixon did well, made minimal mistakes, stuck to the game plan, and has a win!

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 06:51 PM
If I were planning to play the Steelers, I would throw 90% of time. If that is the strategy, and that is done 20- 35 times a day, it will yield points both via TD and FG's.

That's what I was saying..why did the Falcons even bother running and picking up 0-3 yards, when they were getting 5+ yards every pass play..

NOVA STEELERS
09-12-2010, 07:12 PM
It was YOU ............. must have been to many :shots: caused you to be :drunk:

Overall was totally Happy with play of secondary, dropped a couple of easy INTs .... GAY :club: other then that, 1 game down 3 to go till BEN is BACK :cope:

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 07:20 PM
It was YOU ............. must have been to many :shots: caused you to be :drunk:

Go away.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 09:20 PM
I agree with this post. Our secondary played pretty well today considering. McFadden was all over the field and was applying fantastic coverage.

Ike was being Ike and giving a 6 yd cushion, but not giving up anything long.

Solid performance all around. Gay has taken a LOT of criticism for his performance last year and deservingly so ... but the guy is a natural at the nickle.

Good point about Gay, ICS. I was watching him play today as much as I could and he was making some plays and going full speed. When I saw that Lewis was on the inactive list that told me that Gay has impressed enough to win the job at least for now. He was horrific last year but if he can keep improving and he'll be a force at that nickel spot all year.

SnakeEyes43
09-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Good point about Gay, ICS. I was watching him play today as much as I could and he was making some plays and going full speed. When I saw that Lewis was on the inactive list that told me that Gay has impressed enough to win the job at least for now. He was horrific last year but if he can keep improving and he'll be a force at that nickel spot all year.

I was kind of disappointed that Lewis didn't dress, I was hoping he would get some playing time. And yes Gay showed that as a NCB, he is actually pretty decent...ugh.

K Train
09-13-2010, 01:37 AM
troy struggled but no one cares because of the pick...ike is showing some age and bmac is a better tackler than he is in coverage even though he did have some nice breakups...white just dominted the short stuff today, but i guess thats better than him dominating deep.

corner and FS remain a big concern this year. and i would love to see troy wrap up a tackle just once instead of hoping to trip them up by torpedoing himself into their lower body

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2010, 01:41 AM
troy struggled but no one cares because of the pick...ike is showing some age and bmac is a better tackler than he is in coverage even though he did have some nice breakups...white just dominted the short stuff today, but i guess thats better than him dominating deep.

corner and FS remain a big concern this year. and i would love to see troy wrap up a tackle just once instead of hoping to trip them up by torpedoing himself into their lower body

Ktrain trust me I care about Troy.....I thought he was garbage all day until the pick..........:lol: Ike does look a step slower.............But overall I was happy with the secondary today.....No big plays.....give up all the under neath stuff all day just as long as it doesn't lead to points......