PDA

View Full Version : Starks ankle injury; Hampton hamstring..Update 9/14 - Both could play Sunday

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Hampton left the game with a hamstring injury and never returned. Starks left after getting rolled up on his left ankle. He was taken to the locker room immediately, unable to put any weight on that ankle. Didn't look good.

SteelDad
09-12-2010, 04:34 PM
At the risk of sounding over-dramatic, those are two guys we CANNOT afford to lose. It was obvious that after Big Snack left, that ATL found a little room there.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah they ran right at the middle a lot the rest of the way. The run defense still held up but it was noticeably tougher.

The sack that Dixon took late in the game came from the same side that Starks would have been in.

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Yeah that is horrible news. Hopefully Hampton's injury was nothing too serious and he just needs a week or two. Starks looks like he might be in some trouble..that injury looked nasty.

Prosdo
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Starks didn't look good at all. Looking like it won't be short term.

igor0190
09-12-2010, 05:16 PM
My guess is Starks has a high ankle sprain and is gone until the game after the bye week. Hampton has a hamstring strain and will be doubtful for next game.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-12-2010, 05:16 PM
We need both these cats to get well soon...:crossfingers:

coldrolled
09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Are we moving Adams to LT now?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
I haven't heard any updates on either player yet. Starks definitely looked like the worse of the 2 though, man he couldn't put any weight at all on it and barely got off the field.

SnakeEyes43
09-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Hampton should be back by the Ravens or Tampa game. Max will probably be back around the Stains game.

JensK
09-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Hampton will most likely be out a couple of games. His hamstrings are normally pretty bad, especially because this is a re-hamstring of the one that bugged him in TC (at least thats what i heard...). Starks looked to be in a lot of pain, but im not too worried. Hills was awesome during preseason, so if he can translate that into regular season, he might just be as good as Starks if not better.

Layin the wood
09-13-2010, 08:51 AM
I think we have the depth on the DL to take the sting out of the Hampton injury but the Starks injury is going to be hard to replace. I hope someone will step up this week in practice!!

Root4Stlrs
09-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I think we have the depth on the DL to take the sting out of the Hampton injury but the Starks injury is going to be hard to replace. I hope someone will step up this week in practice!!

They didn't dress Hills yesterday so they put Jonathan Scott in. Interesting to see which scenario plays out: Flo to LT and Scott in at RT; Hills or Scott to replace Starks at LT. The Hills scenario seems most logical to me.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Hampton will most likely be out a couple of games. His hamstrings are normally pretty bad, especially because this is a re-hamstring of the one that bugged him in TC (at least thats what i heard...). Starks looked to be in a lot of pain, but im not too worried. Hills was awesome during preseason, so if he can translate that into regular season, he might just be as good as Starks if not better.

:plus1: Hills is a true LT, Scott is a swing tackle. I expect Hills to atleast dress and push for the starting role in practice this week!

coldrolled
09-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Monday, September 13, 2010Steelers OT Max Starks To Miss Month
Pittsburgh Steelers left tackle Max Starks will miss the next month with a high ankle sprain, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

Starks was injured late in the third quarter of the Steelers' 15-9 overtime win over the Atlanta Falcons, and was replaced by Jonathan Scott.

Starks' injury timetable puts him back for the Steelers' October 17 match-up with the Cleveland Browns, which is also the first game that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be eligible to play.

nuclearchihuahuas
09-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Hampton should be back by the Ravens or Tampa game. Max will probably be back around the Stains game.

That is very bad news, expecially facing CJ next week. We really needed the big guy. I'm certain Coach L will adjust. I have no idea what Coach T is going to do at left tackle. Any body get put on waivers that would be of use?

K Train
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Hills should start at LT he didnt dress because scott can play both guards and both tackles in case of an injury.

hampton doesnt hurt that bad, hood has looked like a complete piece of **** of a draft pick except when he lines up over center at NT, that might be a good option for them against the titans

harpo
09-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Any official word on the severity of Hampton's injury?

steelcitysfinestXL
09-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Hills should start at LT he didnt dress because scott can play both guards and both tackles in case of an injury.

hampton doesnt hurt that bad, hood has looked like a complete piece of **** of a draft pick except when he lines up over center at NT, that might be a good option for them against the titans

:clap: i was waititng for some praise of "ZIGGY" from you K!!!! Priceless, even though you still manged to mix in a shot at him during the whole thing. Yeah i like Hood at NT while snack is out as well.

K Train
09-13-2010, 12:34 PM
honestly he looks ****ing terrible at DE, he either gets blown off the ball or just falls down...at NT one on one with the center hes at least serviceable especially since all the training camp reports blow him for his ability to win one on one matchups with interior linemen....thus proving my point that he is no DE, hes an interior pass rusher

Blazedby92
09-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I think he did a descent job on the field I didn't particularly watch what position he was playing but I seen him around the ball alot.

Swallow your PRIDE K you can't get them all right, lol

K Train
09-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I think he did a descent job on the field I didn't particularly watch what position he was playing but I seen him around the ball alot.

Swallow your PRIDE K you can't get them all right, lol

hey i secretly hoped hed be this big time stud they were making him out to be in OTAs and TC...then he disappeared in game action. he had one good play when he was in on a sack and ryan held the ball forever, anyone who was in that spot would have gotten there eventually....hes been a disappointment and yes i CAN get them all right.

im telling you he sucked terrible at end, looked decent at NT....which proves me right again since i said hed be a much better 43 DT, and look hes only effective for us on the interior go figure

TampaSteelGirl
09-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Hope Big Snack is back to snuff Chris Johnson..I think we can survive a couple games without Starks...

Steel Trap86
09-13-2010, 01:33 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers will be without suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for three more weeks. The team's starting left tackle might be out of action for that long, too.

Max Starks, who suffered a high ankle sprain in Sunday's overtime victory over the Atlanta Falcons, could be sidelined a month, a source familiar with the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

However, another source familiar with the situation said it's conceivable Starks could be back in a few weeks.

Starks was seen in a walking boot after Sunday's game.

"I've had this happen before, so it's nothing new," Starks told the Beaver County Times on Sunday. "Hopefully it'll heal fast and it's nothing more than a week. It could have been a lot worse and I'm glad it wasn't. I'm going to do everything they tell me to do to make sure I'm ready to go as soon as possible."

He'll be back with Ben in week 6 imo

BlitzburghRockCity
09-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Just reported that Starks does not have a high ankle sprain, but rather a normal sprain. He could only miss a week, if even that. Tomlin did not rule him out of playing against the Titans.

If he can't go then Scott will play LT.

No word on Hampton yet that I have seen.

Blazedby92
09-14-2010, 02:32 PM
hey i secretly hoped hed be this big time stud they were making him out to be in OTAs and TC...then he disappeared in game action. he had one good play when he was in on a sack and ryan held the ball forever, anyone who was in that spot would have gotten there eventually....hes been a disappointment and yes i CAN get them all right.

im telling you he sucked terrible at end, looked decent at NT....which proves me right again since i said hed be a much better 43 DT, and look hes only effective for us on the interior go figure

You've been money on a few but not so much on a few too but so have I and I don't get to watch mch college to see them develop. I will give him another year and that would be it to learn a new tech and the D. Heck you've givin Sweed that long and with Lebeau 's defense he's got to learn that book and a new position. DE isn't a glory spot anyways besides the Beast himself Smith, really how much do you hear Keisel's name, very little. Don't need him to be a superstar.

JensK
09-14-2010, 02:48 PM
We do need him to be worth a first round pick tho. Smith was a 4th round pick iirc and Keisel was a 7th round, both will most likely be better than ziggy ever will in our system. I rally want him to succeed as i really do like the kid, his attitude and whatnot, but he is just more of a 4-3 end than a 3-4. He is a beast one-on-one, but thats not what we ask him to do

jpele
09-14-2010, 08:55 PM
The Steelers got good news on the injury front as starting left tackle Max Starks has a low ankle sprain and probably won't miss more than a game.

Starks may practice on a limited basis this week and head coach Mike Tomlin did not rule him out for the Steelers' 1 p.m. game Sunday at Tennessee.

He also did not rule out nose tackle Casey Hampton (hamstring) playing against the Titans.

"We're hopeful that he might be able to do something," Tomlin said in regard to practice.

Jonathan Scott will start in place of Starks if the latter is unable to go while Chris Hoke would play in place of Hampton.

Dennis Dixon will start again at quarterback even though Byron Leftwich may practice on a limited basis this week.

Dixon threw for 236 yards in the Steelers' 15-9 win against the Falcons last Sunday.

"Dennis is going to lead us into Nashville," Tomlin said.

Link (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_699456.html)

Guess this is a good thing although I wanted to see Hills get some playing time. I'm really hoping Big Snack is a go, we'll need him to shut down the running game.

RIVERS OF STEEL
09-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Link (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_699456.html)

Guess this is a good thing although I wanted to see Hills get some playing time. I'm really hoping Big Snack is a go, we'll need him to shut down the running game.

starks injury supposedly a low ankle sprain. not as serious as a high ankle sprain.

DanRooney
09-14-2010, 09:07 PM
I highly doubt we'll see Starks this week with the way he was limping on Sunday. I hope Hills looks good in practice we're able to see him on the field.

Real Deal Steel
09-15-2010, 12:44 AM
I told you we should have gone after that available O-lineman from Seattle. We need O-line depth.

coldrolled
09-15-2010, 07:08 AM
We do need him to be worth a first round pick tho. Smith was a 4th round pick iirc and Keisel was a 7th round, both will most likely be better than ziggy ever will in our system. I rally want him to succeed as i really do like the kid, his attitude and whatnot, but he is just more of a 4-3 end than a 3-4. He is a beast one-on-one, but thats not what we ask him to do

Now days everyone it seems is converting to 3-4 so the days of low round picks making our D are gone for us.

unless dick comes up with a new scheme making us unique again needing players with uncommon skillsets.

I think hood is the least of our problems.. Our CB situation needs the attention... they need to practice catching the balls. like mendy practices holding on to them.

Steel Trap86
09-15-2010, 10:08 AM
lol no way starks plays on sunday

he couldn't even walk off the field, spaeth and 2 trainers had to help him.

Blazedby92
09-15-2010, 11:00 AM

What round you were takin in doesn't me crap other than money and you need to be teachable if you can't start right away. Your boy Sweed was taken in the 2nd round and Wallace was taken in the 3rd round a year later and you know that story. It's all about can he learn a new way to play in Dicks system. It takes time

JensK
09-15-2010, 11:48 AM
What round you were takin in doesn't me crap other than money and you need to be teachable if you can't start right away. Your boy Sweed was taken in the 2nd round and Wallace was taken in the 3rd round a year later and you know that story. It's all about can he learn a new way to play in Dicks system. It takes time

Well it does. There were much better talent available than Ziggy for us at the time - It normally goes hand in hand, where you are picked and what kind of talent you have, which you also know. I know there are always good and bad examples, and Sweed / Wallace is a great example hereof, but that does not justify that Ziggy really havnt showed much yet compared to the money he gets, and when he were picked.

K Train
09-15-2010, 12:16 PM

it does matter, if keisel never panned out no one would give a ****...if hood doesnt he sets our franchise back a few years as far as youth on the dline goes. guys like darius butler and rey maualuga would have been much better for our team imo but thats all in the past now i cant really bitch about the 09 class much anymore since most of them are gone and we just had a badass draft.

hood has looked like complete **** though, except when hes lined up at nose and can just go one on one with the center, but thats still not even what we ask out NT to do, thats what dallas wants from ratliff but they run a much different 34. I secretly hoped all the TC and preseason hype on hood would be true...so far its not

Blazedby92
09-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Well it does. There were much better talent available than Ziggy for us at the time - It normally goes hand in hand, where you are picked and what kind of talent you have, which you also know. I know there are always good and bad examples, and Sweed / Wallace is a great example hereof, but that does not justify that Ziggy really havnt showed much yet compared to the money he gets, and when he were picked.

No it doesn't, teams take a gamble everytime they draft hoping to get their guy and sometimes they know it's going to take time to develop some.
How does the Sweed/Wallace not justify the Ziggy pick you said yourself that it matters what round they are taken in and now it doesn't you don't make sense.Some players you have to develop and some you don't and Sweed never Caught on literally:lol: he was gettng paid way more than Wallace and everyone want the coaches head for not giving him playing time Well in that case Wallace should of been taken in the first and Sweed the 7th it's all how they develop themselves as my point ROUNDS don't mean crap. Ziggy's in a devlopmental stage in a Lebeau's system it's harder and he is learning a new position you can say.

Example Redman wasn't even supposed to crack the 53 man roster according to you and others but here he is UNDRAFTED.
I could go on but I am done

steelcitysfinestXL
09-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Ziggy is a big, strong and fast guy for his PERFECT 3-4 DE size. He's behind a great DE in Smith, a solid DE in Kiesel and a perenial pro-bowler in Hampton. I think he is gonna have to learn as much as possible now as a back up. Because when the time comes and Smith retires, Ziggy is the replacement. They have too much stock in him to NOT give him that role. Like Timmons did a year ago, Hood MAY need to learn under fire when he gets his time as a starter.

I compare Hood to Timmons because they have alot of similarities. Both 1st round draft picks. Both having to make position adjustments going from college to NFL. Both, when drafted, may not have looked like the best pick avail. even for their positions. Timmons had flashed ability in spot duty and that kinda pushed Foote to go to detroit. Timmons got a starting role last year, made some plays and made some mistakes. He took the offseason to bulk up and work on his game... game 1, he looks like a stud!

I think with hoods size, speed and agility he could have the same type of developement path. Just my $0.02! Smith is REALLY high on Ziggy and has said it repeatedly. I would think he knows a bit more than us about what it takes to play the position. Time will tell.

K Train
09-15-2010, 12:34 PM
No it doesn't, teams take a gamble everytime they draft hoping to get their guy and sometimes they know it's going to take time to develop some.
How does the Sweed/Wallace not justify the Ziggy pick you said yourself that it matters what round they are taken in and now it doesn't you don't make sense.Some players you have to develop and some you don't and Sweed never Caught on literally:lol: he was gettng paid way more than Wallace and everyone want the coaches head for not giving him playing time Well in that case Wallace should of been taken in the first and Sweed the 7th it's all how they develop themselves as my point ROUNDS don't mean crap. Ziggy's in a devlopmental stage in a Lebeau's system it's harder and he is learning a new position you can say.

Example Redman wasn't even supposed to crack the 53 man roster according to you and others but here he is UNDRAFTED.
I could go on but I am done

Redman=Gary Russell which isnt a bad thing but hes not exactly the world beater you and others make him out to be....ill give him that he played balls out to make the team

ziggy has looked like **** in his spot duty spelling smith and keisel, im sorry you know im down on him but what hes shown is just not promising

Ziggy is a big, strong and fast guy for his PERFECT 3-4 DE size. He's behind a great DE in Smith, a solid DE in Kiesel and a perenial pro-bowler in Hampton. I think he is gonna have to learn as much as possible now as a back up. Because when the time comes and Smith retires, Ziggy is the replacement. They have too much stock in him to NOT give him that role. Like Timmons did a year ago, Hood MAY need to learn under fire when he gets his time as a starter.

I compare Hood to Timmons because they have alot of similarities. Both 1st round draft picks. Both having to make position adjustments going from college to NFL. Both, when drafted, may not have looked like the best pick avail. even for their positions. Timmons had flashed ability in spot duty and that kinda pushed Foote to go to detroit. Timmons got a starting role last year, made some plays and made some mistakes. He took the offseason to bulk up and work on his game... game 1, he looks like a stud!

I think with hoods size, speed and agility he could have the same type of developement path. Just my $0.02! Smith is REALLY high on Ziggy and has said it repeatedly. I would think he knows a bit more than us about what it takes to play the position. Time will tell.
timmons was a much better player than hood and while yes they are both primary 43 guys, the scheme versatility is what they were going for and sometimes you miss on them.

smith says the nice things about hood because he tries hard and he has a good attitutde, something i never said he didnt have....but you cant really believe a player when they say they like a player because that could be what it is all about, they like them and they are friends....get it?

i can be a judge myself when hes on the field....thus far hes been a bum

Blazedby92
09-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Redman=Gary Russell which isnt a bad thing but hes not exactly the world beater you and others make him out to be....ill give him that he played balls out to make the team

ziggy has looked like **** in his spot duty spelling smith and keisel, im sorry you know im down on him but what hes shown is just not promising

timmons was a much better player than hood and while yes they are both primary 43 guys, the scheme versatility is what they were going for and sometimes you miss on them.

smith says the nice things about hood because he tries hard and he has a good attitutde, something i never said he didnt have....but you cant really believe a player when they say they like a player because that could be what it is all about, they like them and they are friends....get it?

i can be a judge myself when hes on the field....thus far hes been a bum

I never said Redman was the next comin g of Sweetness I just like his style hardnose between the tackle who has the ability for an occasional Homerun. He was better than FWP spelling Mendy.

On the Ziggy front I don't think he is a stud yet but by no means was he worthless in this game. We needed a D lineman and he was the best available. We didn't need the old drunken linebacker Rey and for Darius yes I would of liked to have him but it wasn't a huge need at the time. Out of the three business wise Ziggy was what they needed. I even wanted Gilbert but apparrently he didn't pan out regardles 43 or 34 nobody has swooped him up since chi cut him.

I think your starting to like Ziggy though. A hidden crush maybe, You have said a few times he isn't good enough to have a nickname and you would never call him Ziggy well BUSTED you haved called him Ziggy a few times in this thread:yesnod::nahnah:

Like XL said time will tell

LatrobePA
09-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Redman is the next coming in my eyes! lol

I do think he'll work well in this system though!

K Train
09-15-2010, 02:19 PM
**** me, i did slip. i call him hood 90% of the time and evander 9%.

steelersbabex25
09-15-2010, 05:27 PM
I got a text today that said 1) Starks may play this week and 2) Starks may be out for a month. I was like :scratch:

steelcitysfinestXL
09-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Not trying to change your mind here on Hood... but how do you say Timmons was a MUCH better player in college? As a 1 year starter at FSU, in his final year he had 10 more tackles and the same amount of sacks as a LB than Hood did as a int.DL. If you meant Timmons would have been a better transition from college OLB to Pro 3-4 OLB (the position he was drafted for) then yes, i agree totally.

Eitherway, im not yet sold on "Ziggy", as you call him :lol:, but i like what you cant coach about him: Size Strength Agility and Speed. The more time he spends with Aaron the better. He can be taught the hand poitions for controlling you man/ foot work to transtition from gap to the ball and the other technique type things that make Aaron Smith great! Right now it looks like he's thinking and not reacting and using his ability... when the two come together i think he can be great.

jpele
09-16-2010, 06:47 PM
9/16/10: Injury update.

QB Byron Leftwich (knee) was able to practice some for the second straight day, and WR Arnaz Battle (knee) returned after missing Wednesday's session. That's the good news. But CB Bryant McFadden (groin) missed practice on Thursday, as did OLB Jason Worilds (shoulder). Worilds had been limited on Wednesday.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Hopefully BMac's injury isn't serious and they kept him out as a precaution to rest up. Having him healthy is key for our defense.

K Train
09-16-2010, 09:13 PM
wow worilds is having shoulder problems....shocking

BlitzburghRockCity
09-16-2010, 09:14 PM
That dude missed half training camp and a couple preseason games. He's starting out like Timmons did in his first year. Lots of potential but can't stay healthy.

steelersbabex25
09-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Sanders wrote on his fb page that he was some kind of quad injury?

DanRooney
09-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Worilds looked pretty damn impressive on ST's coverage

steelcitysfinestXL
09-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Worilds looked pretty damn impressive on ST's coverage

Yeah he did! He made the first 4-5 ST's tackles i believe!

coldrolled
09-17-2010, 08:00 AM
wow worilds is having shoulder problems....shocking

the browns drafted hardesty and look where he is with his 2 college knee repairs..

the IR till next year with his 1st NFL knee repair. he didnt make it out of preseason.

worilds had 2 college shoulder repairs and its already showing up. maybe some other style of shoulder pads would help... but is it the impact on it or the pulling on the arm that gets him hurt?

LatrobePA
09-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Both likely back this week:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ab08e3/article/steelers-hampton-starks-likely-to-return-to-lineup-vs-bucs?module=HP_headlines

Blazedby92
09-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Can't belileve I am saying this but I missedf starks yesterday.

Troyisabeast_43
09-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Huge huge news especially getting Max Starks back at left tackle with as beat up as the o-line is and playing in the heat once again this Sunday in Tampa...

LatrobePA
09-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Can't belileve I am saying this but I missedf starks yesterday.

Me too! lol