PDA

View Full Version : Your assessment of Dixon's performance

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 04:22 PM
18/26 236 yds. 1 Int.

Overall I thought he struggled today. He did make some nice plays to Heath and to Hines but he struggled seeing the field on multiple occasions. Besides tossing the 1 int he nearly got picked 5 other times. He tried to take off running on several occasions as well, wasn't very successful overall.

It was a learning experience for Dennis. He needs to stay calm and not get greedy. I noticed too he has issues passing to the outside. He's not seeing the safeties creeping up. When he throws inside he is much more successful.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Well I don't sound like I'm knocking him....Just giving a fair review....I thought he did some things well and missed on some throws bad especially early in the game when his passes were low.....I give him a C...........But the experience was huge...........

jpele
09-12-2010, 04:33 PM
I hope I don't see Dixon ever throw an out pass again. Other than that he played ok

Dan*Rooney
18/26 236 yds. 1 Int.

Overall I thought he struggled today. He did make some nice plays to Heath and to Hines but he struggled seeing the field on multiple occasions. Besides tossing the 1 int he nearly got picked 5 other times. He tried to take off running on several occasions as well, wasn't very successful overall.

It was a learning experience for Dennis. He needs to stay calm and not get greedy. I noticed too he has issues passing to the outside. He's not seeing the safeties creeping up. When he throws inside he is much more successful.

No more of this giving Dixon the benefit of the doubt.

Wretched. Puke. Vomit. These are the only words that describe his performance. He was handcuffed again for a reason. 18/26 236 yards and 1 INT could have easily been 18/26, 236 yards, 4 INTs and 2 pick 6's. His reads are terrible. His mechanics are awful too. No zip to the ball whatsoever. All ducks waiting to get picked off.

mwittman5
think he did ok, could have been a lot worse, could have been better. Have to put up more than 1 touchdown a game though

steelcitysfinestXL
09-12-2010, 04:35 PM
He managed the game. Made some good throw and some poor throws. By like was said before the experience is HUGE. He stayed composed and took the sacks instead of making bad decisions. The int was a poor throw but a good read, he had heath open. Prob should have had 3 picks but he'll learn once they get him in the film room. I think BA managed him well but im sure plenty of members will be-little that!

Dan*Rooney
09-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Ok? Were we watching the same thing? Almost everyone on our team had a fantastic game besides him and Randle El. If we lose this game in OT we are all calling for his head. Can you imagine if the running game was held nil today and the defense looked anything like last years D? We would have been blown away...

RIVERS OF STEEL
09-12-2010, 04:36 PM
i think it was stage fright. he had to fill some big shoes today. however, he really needs to read the field better and put some real zip and accuracy into to his passes. it can't help but get better. the qb this year has a better offense than last year for sure.

nuclearchihuahuas
09-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I wish he had used his legs more and threw fewer out passes. I don't know about next week against the Titans--hopefully the defense will come through again

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2010, 04:38 PM
This game will go a long way towards his experience, but his lack thereof today was evident as BG32 mentioned. He needs to stay calm and see the whole field. Those out patterns can be lethal when you don't see the safety or extra coverage guy coming up. He did make some nice plays, I will give him that.

The film work this week will be huge for him, going through every play over and over to see what not to do in the future. The Titans defense will be much tougher so we need to be ready.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-12-2010, 04:38 PM
No more of this giving Dixon the benefit of the doubt.

Wretched. Puke. Vomit. These are the only words that describe his performance. He was handcuffed again for a reason. 18/26 236 yards and 1 INT could have easily been 18/26, 236 yards, 4 INTs and 2 pick 6's. His reads are terrible. His mechanics are awful too. No zip to the ball whatsoever. All ducks waiting to get picked off.

week 1, start 2... did you expect Peyton Manning??? Get off of it! He drove us down the field and put us in position to win the game late, give him some credit.

ejsteeler
09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Not bad really for only his second game, but if he looks the same next week, either yank him or start Charlie in week 3. We got lucky today.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't know what people were expecting honestly?.....lol I thought Dixon was alright....Does he need to improve?......Hell yes he does but people he was only making his second NFL start.....

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Well coming from someone who was expecting a lot from Dixon..I thought it was pretty awful as well. Given it was only his second start, but come on. Don't get me wrong, he did make 2 or 3 pretty spectacular throws (with help from the receivers) but he could have very well had 4 interceptions that game. I'm not comparing him to any Peyton Mannings or Tom Bradys out there, but I did expect a lot better from him. Needless to say, I'm wishing we had Ben. If we did, I feel like all those field goals could have very easily been touchdowns and we would have dominated that game.

xxxsteelernation
09-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Dixon did what he was asked to do and that was not lose the game, and if anyone thinks that was a handcuff then should be fired right here right now. Yea dixon had alot of trouble reading the out routes today. and arians did not use dixon's legs at all today. which pretty much let the spy's or what not just sit back and and play the pass. Mendenhall was pretty much non productive till the last play in OT. Defense today saved our butt, time after time. i'm more concerned on reed missing the game winning field goal at the end. that was well within his range.. he just don't seem like himself. Dixon with this experience under his belt, and getting dixon to throw more out routes in practice. I honest don't understand (even with ben) that we don't score more in games. We our offense practices against our defense, one of the top defenses in the leauge. With facing out defense every week you think we should be able to pour it on opposing teams.

Dan*Rooney
09-12-2010, 04:57 PM
week 1, start 2... did you expect Peyton Manning??? Get off of it! He drove us down the field and put us in position to win the game late, give him some credit.

No but I expected at least Tyler Thigpen.

He drove us down the field at the end of the game? You mean the Troy Polamalu interception in the 4th that put us in field goal range or the defense pinning Atlanta's offense to where they had to kick it from the endzone?

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 05:00 PM
i'm more concerned on reed missing the game winning field goal at the end. that was well within his range.. he just don't seem like himself.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that..he was kicking into a lot of wind. And he also made a 52 yarder the first drive so..Reed's fine. He even booted one into the endzone :lol:

92_is_gonna_kill_you
09-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Considering it was his 2nd start, he lost a starting offensive lineman after the 1st half, & Atlanta's decent defense, I'd say he did okay.

Seriously, the Dixon hate needs to die down. If you were expecting the 2nd coming of Randall Cunningham then you're absolutely nuts. 18/26 with 220+ yards and only 1 pick? I'll take it considering the circumstances.

Dan*Rooney
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Something we're not mentioning is Hines Ward finishing with 108 yards receiving. I'm very surprised at that stat-line. Most of his catches were him finding a way to get open, something I thought he would struggle with without Holmes in the lineup. A grade for him.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Honestly he scared me all game.... he looked ok at times and he look nervous at times which was to be expected but he needs to get his sh&^ together and fast or just put Batch in and use Dixon in certain packages IMO, we were blessed that the defense stepped up and created great field position for us in OT and Troy got the game saving INT also, and the O-Line did a great job blocking on that last run play...anyways a win is a win and I'm glad we held them to 9 points, but we are gonna have to be much better next week on the offensive side of the ball...

Prosdo
09-12-2010, 05:05 PM
For a second start I can't knock him. He gained some valuable experience. At times he looked like he was forcing things and not making smart decisions. However, I think that improves with experience.

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 05:06 PM
I think that 1 interception stat is a little misleading. If the ATL defense men didn't have butterfingers it would have been 4 interceptions.

harpo
09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I think he played better than I expected him to play. He wasn't Tom Brady out there but he wasn't Rex Grossman, either. He did some good things and some not-so-good things. I think a lot of his misfortune was due to Bruce Arian's playcalling. Insted of trying to make him into a 'pocket passer', he should have rolled him out more and let him be "Dennis". Jim Mora kept saying all game that Dixon had success when he threw between the hashes or the middle. Someone needs to explain this to BA.

I think the more he plays, the more confident he'll get.We just need to keep running the ball and play physical (Steeler) football.

coldrolled
09-12-2010, 05:15 PM
I think that 1 interception stat is a little misleading. If the ATL defense men didn't have butterfingers it would have been 4 interceptions.

And Gay could have had 2 int's also... so what is that. Rodgers just threw one for GB. He sucks right. stats show dixon out performing ryan, look at the QB rating.. Dixons first start and he out performs ryan the 3rd year man. cool. :clap:

I didnt notice any special packages designed for Dixon??????? :thinking:

Please shelf Randel and let Battle play. He at least sets himself up for first downs.

I did notice a 2nd and 5 and we pass?? even the anouncer mentioned it.. and they then flashed the BA photo up on the screen.... :grin1:

harpo
09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I did notice a 2nd and 5 and we pass?? even the anouncer mentioned it.. and they then flashed the BA photo up on the screen.... :grin1:

:lol:

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
And Gay could have had 2 int's also... so what is that. Rodgers just threw one for GB. He sucks right. stats show dixon out performing ryan, look at the QB rating.. Dixons first start and he out performs ryan the 3rd year man. cool. :clap:

Woah I never said Dixon sucks. I said I expected more out of him and I think he could have had a better game. He made good plays, but he missed wide open receivers and didn't see the defenders very well. Am I calling for his head? No. Am I saying he should sit? No. I'm just saying he made some questionable throws that could have cost us the game..and he needs to work on that.

--- Added 9/12/2010 at 04:21 PM ---

Dixon was also facing the 28th ranked defense in the league (from last year.) We'll see how he does against Baltimore and then talk.

coldrolled
09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Woah I never said Dixon sucks. I said I expected more out of him and I think he could have had a better game. He made good plays, but he missed wide open receivers and didn't see the defenders very well. Am I calling for his head? No. Am I saying he should sit? No. I'm just saying he made some questionable throws that could have cost us the game..and he needs to work on that.

--- Added 9/12/2010 at 04:21 PM ---

Dixon was also facing the 28th ranked defense in the league (from last year.) We'll see how he does against Baltimore and then talk.

Did you see any special packages for Dennis? Maybe there saving them for the Titans.
We will ned them. :cope: 1-0 baby... :cope:

LatrobePA
09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
DD - OK
Play calling was horrid! No roll outs, bootlegs etc etc. Straight drops all day!

Dan*Rooney
09-12-2010, 05:31 PM

^this. And not good plays made by linemen and DBs, just terrible decisions. I can't believe you guys are actually encouraged somewhat by his play.

Our defense was sick. Our overall line play was great as well as our RBs. Do you think we can keep that level of play up for the next 3 games? Keep in mind, ATL's pass D was 28th in the league last year.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Well coming from someone who was expecting a lot from Dixon..I thought it was pretty awful as well. Given it was only his second start, but come on. Don't get me wrong, he did make 2 or 3 pretty spectacular throws (with help from the receivers) but he could have very well had 4 interceptions that game. I'm not comparing him to any Peyton Mannings or Tom Bradys out there, but I did expect a lot better from him. Needless to say, I'm wishing we had Ben. If we did, I feel like all those field goals could have very easily been touchdowns and we would have dominated that game.

You were expecting alot from a former 5th round pick making his 2nd NFL start?.......The way Dixon played today is what I expect at times he will make good throws then at times he will make some very bad throws.......

Yea I wish we had Ben to but nothing we can do about it......I just think people need to calm down some and lower there expectations some what.......I think we see improvement next week from Dennis.....I'm not saying he will be great but I think you will see a more comfortable player.....

Dan*Rooney
09-12-2010, 05:33 PM

I didnt notice any special packages designed for Dixon??????? :thinking:

Please shelf Randel and let Battle play. He at least sets himself up for first downs.

He did not outperform Ryan. Dixon going up against the Falcons D is the the same as Matt Ryan going up against the Steelers D. Their stat-lines were also pretty much identical.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Ok some of you are out of your mind.......Dude was making his 2nd career NFL start so lets all rag on him....lol I wasn't encouraged at all with Dixon's overall performance but I also think experience can help him going forward......All I'm hoping is the team is 2-2 or 3-1 while Ben is out....I'll take 1-0 with shaky QB play...lol

coldrolled
09-12-2010, 05:37 PM
He did not outperform Ryan. Dixon going up against the Falcons D is the the same as Matt Ryan going up against the Steelers D. Their stat-lines were also pretty much identical.

you make the call. i just read this

Passing Leaders
Atlanta C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RATING
Ryan 27/44 252 5.7 0 1 67.6

Pittsburgh C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RATING
Dixon 18/26 236 9.1 0 1 81.6

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Comparing Matt Ryan and Dennis Dixon is like comparing apples and oranges........But I'll tell you what the so called next Peyton Manning wasn't to impressive either today....He easily could have had a couple more picks as well....I know Willie Gay had his hands on one for sure and I think the Steelers had another potential INT.....But I thought Ryan sure looked like crap and he wasn't just making his 2nd career NFL start....Ryan is has started for two full seasons....lol

Dan*Rooney
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
you make the call. i just read this

Passing Leaders
Atlanta C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RATING
Ryan 27/44 252 5.7 0 1 67.6

Pittsburgh C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RATING
Dixon 18/26 236 9.1 0 1 81.6

Because the Steelers D=Falcons D.

Stop with the Dixon coddling. Almost sounds like the people in Washington who thought Jason Campbell could be a good QB. It took them 5 wasted seasons to realize that it wasn't going to happen.

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 05:47 PM
You were expecting alot from a former 5th round pick making his 2nd NFL start?

...yeah

xxxsteelernation
09-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I thought what really got dixon to settle down is when the crowd a heinz started to boo. since the boo he was smoking, and arians needs to lay off with the drop back and pass crap for any of our QB's out two tackles wow. they were letting everyone through today. dixon would drop back and then be sandwiched between two or three d linemen or LB's cause they couldn't stop hardly anything off the corners. and now that starks went down i'm a little concerned. But when scott came in he was plowing through people i really like that kid.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 05:58 PM
...yeah

Don't you think that is unrealistic....lol You were expecting no drop off from Bent o Dixon.....lol I'm so glad you think playing QB at the NFL level is so easy especially for a QB making his 2nd career NFL start......

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Don't you think that is unrealistic....lol You were expecting no drop off from Bent o Dixon.....lol I'm so glad you think playing QB at the NFL level is so easy especially for a QB making his 2nd career NFL start......

OF COURSE I wasn't expecting Dixon to be Ben Roethlisberger. What I WAS expecting was for him to find the wide open receivers and make a decent pass more than once.

xxxsteelernation
09-12-2010, 06:02 PM
I saw bring chip kelly in here for OC. dixon know's that offense like the back of his hand. and ben would work well in that kinda system as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwpXXWJA2m4

beaver688
09-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I my opinion I thought he sucked. Like I said my opinion so don't get your shorts in a uproar just go with the flow please.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 06:05 PM
OF COURSE I wasn't expecting Dixon to be Ben Roethlisberger. What I WAS expecting was for him to find the wide open receivers and make a decent pass more than once.

He missed 8 passes on the day.......lol I agree the ones he missed were terrible and he started off throwing the ball way to low.......But as the game progressed he settled in........Its what I expect from a QB making just his 2nd NFL start.......You know inconsistent play.....lol

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
He missed 8 passes on the day.......lol I agree the ones he missed were terrible and he started off throwing the ball way to low.......But as the game progressed he settled in........Its what I expect from a QB making just his 2nd NFL start.......You know inconsistent play.....lol

I'm by no means ready to call for him to be benched next week. I'm kind of excited to see how he responds against the Titans. Let's just agree to disagree.

Dan*Rooney
09-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I my opinion I thought he sucked. Like I said my opinion so don't get your shorts in a uproar just go with the flow please.

It's not an opinion. It's the truth you're 100 percent right.

I have a feeling how this is going to roll. Dixon's going to stink it up against Tennessee and we'll hear the "oh well it's only his 3rd start, he played decent." Then much of the same until week 5.

Dixon's trade value at the end of the season is long gone in my opinion. He's not even worth an UDFA.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm by no means ready to call for him to be benched next week. I'm kind of excited to see how he responds against the Giants. Let's just agree to disagree.

You mean the Titans.....We don't play the Giants this year......I'm not disagreeing with you at all in saying Dixon wasn't good today....All I'm saying is curb your expectations of him....lol

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 06:13 PM
You mean the Titans.....We don't play the Giants this year......I'm not disagreeing with you at all in saying Dixon wasn't good today....All I'm saying is curb your expectations of him....lol

Yeah I was looking at the preseason schedule..oops :lol:

Moondog
09-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Comparing Matt Ryan and Dennis Dixon is like comparing apples and oranges........But I'll tell you what the so called next Peyton Manning wasn't to impressive either today....He easily could have had a couple more picks as well....I know Willie Gay had his hands on one for sure and I think the Steelers had another potential INT.....But I thought Ryan sure looked like crap and he wasn't just making his 2nd career NFL start....Ryan is has started for two full seasons....lol

The announcers were ballwashing Matt Ryan to the point of nausea. It all culminated in the kiss of death ball washing seconds preceding the Polamalu pick.

I also agree about Dixon...he did alright considering he is what amounts to a 3rd string QB in his second pro start ever. The Steelers won the game, now they just need to win at least one out of the next three before Ben gets back. I'll take it.

GoBenGo
09-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I like the kid..godengo..but at times it looked like he was throwing a frozen turkey...definitely would like to see a little more zip on the ball ...hes not accurate enough to continue this lollipop tihs...IMHO...You get some crazy options at your disposal when you have Dix , Randle El, Hines, and Wallace's skills on the field simultaneously...I'm not saying run triple passes or wildcant plays as routine but having the threat of it if you wanted it is sweet...
I think it more fair to say the teams success weighs more on mendenhalls success...in knucklehead's absence at least...:imho:

UKSTEELER
09-12-2010, 07:19 PM
DD was definatley effected by nerves.

He dodged some bullets and rode his luck at times, made some good throws and stood tall in the pocket. He wasn't helped by the playcalling at times.

I expect DD to learn a lot from this, and I feel he can do better with what he has.

His mechanics scare me a little too, but the win will be a great confidence boost for him.

Araians needs to call a better game, that would help.

MattyVfromCT
09-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't know what people were expecting honestly?.....lol I thought Dixon was alright....Does he need to improve?......Hell yes he does but people he was only making his second NFL start.....

exactly. he wasn't great by any stretch but he wasn't terrible either. he was decent and this was only his 2nd start

beaver688
09-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Yes he was desent againest a not so desent team I'm sorry but here we go cordell again.

PsychoWard
09-12-2010, 07:43 PM
He was OK at best! But at his defense i really think he is trying to be more of a throwing QB first! He had some good opportunity's to take off but didn't and i think that's because of BA. I think if he uses his legs more that will gain his confidence in his game over all!

he defenitly needs to have better vision and read the defense better, he is very lucky that he didn't have at least 4 picks!!!

TheButt
09-12-2010, 07:46 PM
It's not an opinion. It's the truth you're 100 percent right.

I have a feeling how this is going to roll. Dixon's going to stink it up against Tennessee and we'll hear the "oh well it's only his 3rd start, he played decent." Then much of the same until week 5.

Dixon's trade value at the end of the season is long gone in my opinion. He's not even worth an UDFA.

WoW -- Really.

Just wondering , how long have you been watching football ?

Dixon has nothing but upside man. Put down the pipe.

srob14
09-12-2010, 08:13 PM
i think was good experience for him, once he sees the film he will realize that he just has to throw the football and let his receivers make some plays like Hines did today. Dixon has great upside and hopefully we can go 3-1, til Ben comes back, with the way our defense played today. remember 2 missed FG by Reed. :yellowthumb:

steelersbabex25
09-12-2010, 08:15 PM
hopefully we can go 3-1

Uh hopefully we can go 4-0..

LatrobePA
09-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I personally think he sucked today with only a few good plays. BUT with that said, I'd liked to see him roll out more just to get away from pressure and or keep the D guessing.

So so for me, and I thing he'll only get better, but TN will be all over him!

coldrolled
09-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Because the Steelers D=Falcons D.

Stop with the Dixon coddling. Almost sounds like the people in Washington who thought Jason Campbell could be a good QB. It took them 5 wasted seasons to realize that it wasn't going to happen.

dude, we are cheering for him for 4 games. ben is in game 5..

he wasnt that bad. im still wating for someone to tell me when arian's special dixon package was used.. ????

let him play like a flowing faucet... did he even run in one planned play?

jpele
09-12-2010, 10:55 PM
For everyone that wants to see Dixon roll out,it may look good when it works but in effect it cuts the field in half and works in favor of the defense.

K Train
09-12-2010, 11:24 PM
He did well, he didnt try to be a hero....dont expect much more from him in the next 3 games, he should settle in and make better throws as he moves forward though

Real Deal Steel
09-12-2010, 11:44 PM
I hope I don't see Dixon ever throw an out pass again. Other than that he played ok

From the preseason game against the Broncos to today, Dixon is horrible throwing the out pass.

But it is also very clear that Arians told Dixon not to run and I"m very pissed off about that. By Dixon not running he left atleast 4-5 first down on the field.

Dan*Rooney
09-13-2010, 12:26 AM
WoW -- Really.

Just wondering , how long have you been watching football ?

Dixon has nothing but upside man. Put down the pipe.

Over 20 years and I have never seen as much coddling for a QB in my life. If we lose this game today, all over you are calling for Dixon's head. But because we win, he gets a pass regardless of how many times he almost lost it for our defense.

If Dixon played "ok" like most of you are saying, we dominate this game. The score would be closer to 24-9 in regulation. They were stacking the box all day long, not respecting his (lack of) ability to throw. What kind of quarterback can't throw to the outside? I don't care how many games you have or haven't started. That's absolutely embarrassing.

Dobre Shunka
09-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Luv the W today, that's all that counts for now.

We just need one more W before Ben returns from exile, and if somehow someway we get that other W, lookout, like our chances for the season very much. (Optimistic)

We lose next week. (Pessimistic)

In any case, GO STEELERS!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Over 20 years and I have never seen as much coddling for a QB in my life. If we lose this game today, all over you are calling for Dixon's head. But because we win, he gets a pass regardless of how many times he almost lost it for our defense.

If Dixon played "ok" like most of you are saying, we dominate this game. The score would be closer to 24-9 in regulation. They were stacking the box all day long, not respecting his (lack of) ability to throw. What kind of quarterback can't throw to the outside? I don't care how many games you have or haven't started. That's absolutely embarrassing.

No if the Steelers had lost today I wouldn't have called for Dixon's head.......I'm not coddling him either and I think he has much to work on......But at the same time he is still very raw as an NFL QB......What choice do we have at this point?.....Batch are u kidding me.......Charlie is so old and fragile at this stage in his career that he really can't be counted on.......

With Ben out and whoever starts at QB the running game and defense will have to carry the load......Its what I expected when I learned of Ben's suspension......As for the special teams no big returns.......

I think we all get it now that you don't like Dixon and that is ok....You're entitled to your opinion......I just don't know what you want Tomlin to do at this point?.....You really want Batch?.........

K Train
09-13-2010, 01:04 AM
lol at coddling him, he is what he is....i LOVE that he didnt try to be a hero, ben always does and im ok with that but dixon just did what he had to do, rode the run game and defense and made the safer throws. i wouldnt call for his head at all, if they come out of bens suspension 2-2 that perfect and they are halfway there

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2010, 01:09 AM
lol at coddling him, he is what he is....i LOVE that he didnt try to be a hero, ben always does and im ok with that but dixon just did what he had to do, rode the run game and defense and made the safer throws. i wouldnt call for his head at all, if they come out of bens suspension 2-2 that perfect and they are halfway there

Thank you Ktrain..........:clap: Finally a voice of reason......lol I'm with you if the Steelers are 2-2 after the first four games I will be more then happy.....If they're 3-1 then really what could people bitch about.....The way the defense played today its not much of a stretch......I just hope Hampton's hamstring isn't to serious.......

K Train
09-13-2010, 01:10 AM
hampton is supposed to be one week, two weeks tops

K Train
09-13-2010, 01:11 AM
to me dixon showed that he is a young inexperienced QB, but he was also the man for the job the whole time

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2010, 01:14 AM
hampton is supposed to be one week, two weeks tops

Thank you....Sucks that he will probably miss the Titans game......Facing Chris Johnson without Hampton......lol I know Hoke did fine when Hampton was lost for the year back in 2004 but that was 6 years ago..........The Steelers usually play like crap in Tenn.......lol

--- Added 9/13/2010 at 12:14 AM ---

to me dixon showed that he is a young inexperienced QB, but he was also the man for the job the whole time

Exactly........I didn't want Batch and I wasn't thrilled with Leftwich........The Steelers have to find out what they have in Dixon and with Ben out is the perfect time to find out........

K Train
09-13-2010, 01:15 AM
chris johnson doesnt scare me too much with timmons and troy both healthy.

honestly hood looked like complete **** except on the few plays he lined up at nose, that might be a look they want to throw out there while hampton is out

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2010, 01:18 AM
chris johnson doesnt scare me too much with timmons and troy both healthy.

honestly hood looked like complete **** except on the few plays he lined up at nose, that might be a look they want to throw out there while hampton is out

I think the defense can contain Chris no doubt.....But Johnson does have the speed to kill the defense unlike Turner........I'm not worried at all about the Titans passing game but the defense better not allow Young to kill them with his legs......I would have Timmons spy him all game...........

Dan*Rooney
09-13-2010, 01:18 AM

Showed me we should have traded for Tyler Thigpen :yesnod:

I know I'm being hard on the guy but really he crushed any hope I had for us getting any decent value for him in the offseason. I wanted to see him make more plays. He had one the entire night and that was to Wallace. It really doesn't look like Dixon has that "upside" you guys are talking about. Like you said, this is what he is. Not a pretty poor passer who can't read defenses that might move the chains using his legs.

K Train
09-13-2010, 01:19 AM
jared cook and bo scaife are the ones that worry me, they are basically giant WRs and 1) vince loves the TE and 2) TEs generally kill the steelers, especially on little BS outs

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2010, 01:22 AM
jared cook and bo scaife are the ones that worry me, they are basically giant WRs and 1) vince loves the TE and 2) TEs generally kill the steelers, especially on little BS outs

Very true....Falcons game in Atlanta back in 2006.....We couldn't stop Crumpler...lol

K Train
09-13-2010, 01:22 AM

I know I'm being hard on the guy but really he crushed any hope I had for us getting any decent value for him in the offseason. I wanted to see him make more plays. He had one the entire night and that was to Wallace. It really doesn't look like Dixon has that "upside" you guys are talking about. Like you said, this is what he is. Not a pretty poor passer who can't read defenses that might move the chains using his legs.

it was his second start and you can tell he was forcing the pass sometimes because thats what he thinks hes "supposed" to do...he really should have ran more, thats when you can tell hes comfortable. hes got a win under his belt now, will get a full week of practice along with the confidence boost he already has from the win he could be poised for a big few games. hes not a bad passer, he just has to make better reads which comes with time

and LOL at thigpen, i would have been on board with quinn, lienart, grossman, or carr but thigpen isnt a starter for a reason...the only action he got was when he was the chiefs only option, now hes like 3rd on miami.

leftwich was a good pickup 2 years ago, that made sense but dixon made the most sense this time around

xxxsteelernation
09-13-2010, 03:32 AM

Rooney, dixon is not going anywhere. Tomlin drafted dixon to take over when ben leaves, kinda like the farve what's his name in green bay. Being born and raised in eugene, oregon. i get a several opprotunites to talk to dixon since his dad and my parents are good friends. Dixon loves pittsburgh and dosen't actually think he will fit in anywhere else. he will resign with pittsburgh. he just needs to wait out till pittsburgh finally fires arians.

coldrolled
09-13-2010, 06:02 AM
For everyone that wants to see Dixon roll out,it may look good when it works but in effect it cuts the field in half and works in favor of the defense.

Vick had over one hundred yards rushing... not bad... to bad they started vick to late.
kolb had them in a hole. vick almost won it.

steelersbabex25
09-13-2010, 06:03 AM
Rooney, dixon is not going anywhere. Tomlin drafted dixon to take over when ben leaves

Ben still has a good 10 years to go..I don't think Tomlin was thinking that far in advance..

BUT like some other people were saying, I do agree that Dixon should have run more. There were times that he had 4 or 5 yards in front of him but forced a throw instead of trying to run. :spank: Bruce Arians for not allowing him to use his legs.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-13-2010, 07:18 AM
He did well, he didnt try to be a hero....dont expect much more from him in the next 3 games, he should settle in and make better throws as he moves forward though

K and BG understand... expecttions were low! Complete some high perecntage passes and dont lose the game. You're talkin about a smart kid who was the Atheletic ability to be a good QB. This weeks film study will be big for him. He missed ALOT of throws in the dirt trying to be "safe" with the ball. And the did run some nice little roll outs and "Veer" type play actions wih him. The one coutner reverse play action was VERY nice. Its gonna take time but he'll get better every week!

On a side note did anybody else hear Pompiani say in the Steelers pregame (local) Lefty "could" be ready by next week?

JensK
09-13-2010, 07:22 AM
I heard it, but i did not believe it. This sprains just take time to heal. He is not very mobile, even when healthy, and with Starks out, things will get really ugly very fast in there >.<

LarryNJ
09-13-2010, 07:32 AM
it was his second start and you can tell he was forcing the pass sometimes because thats what he thinks hes "supposed" to do...he really should have ran more, thats when you can tell hes comfortable. hes got a win under his belt now, will get a full week of practice along with the confidence boost he already has from the win he could be poised for a big few games. hes not a bad passer, he just has to make better reads which comes with time

And the second and 3rd game will become easier than the 2nd half.

I got overexcited, ....Im just happy to have someone like Hines and those savvy vets on the offensive side to calm me down. In the second half, it became easier for me.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-13-2010, 07:54 AM
And the second and 3rd game will become easier than the 2nd half.

I got overexcited, ....Im just happy to have someone like Hines and those savvy vets on the offensive side to calm me down. In the second half, it became easier for me.

:plus1:

Layin the wood
09-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Thank goodness we have some great vets on this team!!!!!!

Steeler
09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
So who else thinks Dennis Dixon did pretty good yesterday?:helmet:

Steeler
09-13-2010, 11:02 AM
But you have to remember he has never got to start a game and for a frst time starter i think he did good

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-13-2010, 11:40 AM
I thought he did fine. Went up against a tough defense who took the running game away for a good bit of the game. Mendenhall ended up getting his yards (around 120 I believe), but for much of the game he was getting stuffed at the line. Dixon made a lot of plays to keep things moving.