PDA

View Full Version : Ward says Dixon should 'be Dennis'

jpele
09-09-2010, 07:48 AM
If Hines Ward could offer Dennis Dixon one piece of advice heading into Sunday's season-opener against Atlanta, he knows what he would tell the quarterback making just his second career start.

"Let Dennis be Dennis," Ward said. "That's all we ask for. We are not asking Dennis to be Ben or Byron (Leftwich) or Charlie (Batch). We want him to do what he does."

This is what you would expect from Ward,what is disturbing is the following:

Bruce Arians has said he would rather see Dixon use his arm than his legs.

Actually, Arians may be the only one who prefers Dixon stay in the pocket. While at the University of Oregon, Dixon rushed for 1,208 yards, including 583 his injury-shortened senior year.

Can somebody put this idiot out of his ( our ) misery.

Full story (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_698610.html)

coldrolled
09-09-2010, 08:15 AM
"Whatever it takes for me to make first downs, I'll do it," Dixon said. "I'll run the ball or throw it. I think I'll have a little more freedom to do some things this time, but I still have to manage the game."

more freedom this time.. so BA did tell him not to run in denver....

did arians marry rooney's sister or something... wtf..

Layin the wood
09-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Note to Dixon: Whatever Arians says do the opposite!!!:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2010, 08:33 AM
This is exactly what he has to do, let him be who he is. Now is not the time to try and change someone into something they aren't. Leave that for the offseason when it doesn't count.

Dixon needs to do whatever he has to make a first down, I don't care if he crawls for it on his hands and knees...just move the sticks and keep the offense on the field.

My big concern for him is forcing the ball though, in that Denver game he was picked off twice and it could have been 4 times very easily. He has to see the field and be sure of his throws because there's no more "we'll fix it next week since this game doesn't count".

Layin the wood
09-09-2010, 08:37 AM
This is exactly what he has to do, let him be who he is. Now is not the time to try and change someone into something they aren't. Leave that for the offseason when it doesn't count.

Dixon needs to do whatever he has to make a first down, I don't care if he crawls for it on his hands and knees...just move the sticks and keep the offense on the field.

My big concern for him is forcing the ball though, in that Denver game he was picked off twice and it could have been 4 times very easily. He has to see the field and be sure of his throws because there's no more "we'll fix it next week since this game doesn't count".

:plus1:

LatrobePA
09-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Good stuff! I'd like Arians to collect change on I79 during rush hour traffic!

Go Dixon!!

harpo
09-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Note to Dixon: Whatever Arians says do the opposite!!!:yellowthumb:

:lol::plus1:

SnakeEyes43
09-09-2010, 10:15 AM
God I hope BA isn't making a game plan that forces DD to stay in the pocket more. I would rather see him run every play he doesn't hand it off, not literally, than stay in the pocket and possibly force some of those horrid throws we saw against Denver.

SteelCityKid5
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm hoping Dixon does well this week. I think he can.

xxxsteelernation
09-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Dixon was hindered by bad play-calling and the pick in the end zone may have been ill advised but whe the starting position is on the line and your dumb@$$ OC you try to make plays that's all dixon was trying to do in that game. Now that he is starting he will feel more comfortable throwing a pass away instead of forcing it. and remember the second pick was the recivers fault not dixon's

LatrobePA
09-09-2010, 12:17 PM
DD will be fine...

xxxsteelernation
09-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Hines ward to replace Bruce arians as OC by second drive in the falcons game...lol

steelersbabex25
09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
This is why I love Hines Ward..he's so right. You can't turn Dixon into Ben just because Ben has been successful..let Dixon do what he does. If you try to force him to be a pocket passer he won't do well.

K Train
09-09-2010, 12:49 PM
if dixons only goal is to get first downs....thats good enough for me, first downs equal TDs eventually

harpo
09-09-2010, 12:56 PM
if dixons only goal is to get first downs....thats good enough for me, first downs equal TDs eventually

Yep, it's all about moving the chains and getting your team in position to score. :plus1:

lloydfan4life
09-09-2010, 01:05 PM
I'd like Arians to collect change on I79 during rush hour traffic!........

..... from the center lane rather than a toll booth!

K Train
09-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Yep, it's all about moving the chains and getting your team in position to score. :plus1:

i dont want to see him press and try to do to much....if he needs to make one read and take off, do it if you can gain yards..i like when ben tries to do too much, not anyone else

nuclearchihuahuas
09-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Hines ward to replace Bruce arians as OC by second drive in the falcons game...lol

Now there is a worthy idea! :tt02::yellowthumb:

pontiacbubba
09-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Go Dixon!!

Lol yeah but make it in a lake effect blizzard !!!!!:lol:

coldrolled
09-09-2010, 05:41 PM

dixon said his goal is to get first downs...

then he said

The playbook is totally wide open, Dixon said. It all depends on what B.A. (Arians) is trying to attack at any given moment. Regardless if its a run or a pass, I can be a threat on both of them. When he calls it, I have to execute it.

Dixon also believes Arians will call running plays for him.

I have to manage the game, regardless of if its a run or a pass, he said. I want to be able to be effective. I dont have to take control of the whole game. I have a lot of playmakers out there.

Sounds like i will need to load up on the bud lights for this one..... :yellowthumb:

K Train
09-09-2010, 05:41 PM
i got harder stuff than that lol

Root4Stlrs
09-09-2010, 05:45 PM
:lol:

Sounds like i will need to load up on the bud lights for this one..... :yellowthumb::yesnod:

KSSteelerfan
09-10-2010, 02:16 AM

Go Dixon!!

:yellowthumb::hilarious: