PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin won't guarantee ben has the starting job when he comes back.

xxxsteelernation
09-07-2010, 10:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5543326
So if lefty, dixon or batch have a remarkable first month they could be finishing out the season.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2010, 10:13 PM
This has been going around the net all evening. DO NOT read into this. This is a typical Tomlin smokescreen. Everybody knows Ben will be the starter when he comes back.

SnakeEyes43
09-07-2010, 10:17 PM
No way Ben doesn't start when he comes back...no way.

MattyVfromCT
09-07-2010, 10:20 PM
This has been going around the net all evening. DO NOT read into this. This is a typical Tomlin smokescreen. Everybody knows Ben will be the starter when he comes back.

exactly. do you honestly think we'd have a $100 million, 2 time super bowl winning franchise qb sit on the bench when healthy and eligible to play? hell no

DanRooney
09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Tomlin is a drama queen :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
exactly. do you honestly thin we'd have a $100 million, 2 time super bowl winning franchise qb sit on the bench when healthy and eligible to play? hell no

Exactly, but the media loves to blow this stuff out of proportion and it drives me nuts. Nobody in their right mind would actually think that Tomlin would be benching a QB of Ben's caliber no matter how well Dixon, Batch, or Leftwich does. All those guys know this is Ben's team, they are there to perform when needed for whatever reason but when Ben is able to return, he will be the man.

SnakeEyes43
09-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Exactly, but the media loves to blow this stuff out of proportion and it drives me nuts. Nobody in their right mind would actually think that Tomlin would be benching a QB of Ben's caliber no matter how well Dixon, Batch, or Leftwich does. All those guys know this is Ben's team, they are there to perform when needed for whatever reason but when Ben is able to return, he will be the man.

Yeah, 99% of it is the media. Like today's headline on NFL.com "Steelers send a message to troubled Roethlisberger" about the whole captain thing, when Hines had already said it was nothing personal against Ben. They know if they put sh*t like that it will get clicks and attention, that's how they make money.

Batch, Lefty, nor Dixon have the clutch, skill, knowledge (maybe Batch), or durability that Ben brings to the table.

Steel Trap86
09-07-2010, 10:35 PM
LOL close the thread

LatrobePA
09-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Tomlin is full of chit 99.9% of the time!

LarryNJ
09-07-2010, 10:39 PM
We could only wish there was a QB controversy come week 5. A more like scenario is by 2:30 on Sunday we'll be saying along with Tomlin...when is Ben coming back?

steelerschick1220
09-07-2010, 10:49 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!! Nice try Tomlin.

But we all know who will be starting against the Browns. Even if Dixon does a great job those first four weeks at some point he will do something completely stupid to eff it all up. This is still Ben's job.

MattyVfromCT
09-07-2010, 11:08 PM

just like ben not being elected a captain. i have delusional bungle clowns coming to me saying how ben has lost the team because of that and will be gone next year. oh, and that we'll be lucky to be 8-8, more like 6-10. meanwhile i'm just saving all those comments for a nice vid looking back on asinine predictions for later this year lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2010, 11:10 PM
That whole captain nonsense is ridiculous as well. It's not like Ben has been a captain every year he's been on the team. Sometimes he is, sometimes he isn't. It's no big deal, but of course people love to start a controversy and read into anything they can.

MattyVfromCT
09-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah, 99% of it is the media. Like today's headline on NFL.com "Steelers send a message to troubled Roethlisberger" about the whole captain thing, when Hines had already said it was nothing personal against Ben. They know if they put sh*t like that it will get clicks and attention, that's how they make money.

Batch, Lefty, nor Dixon have the clutch, skill, knowledge (maybe Batch), or durability that Ben brings to the table.

that's what i tell everyone. to stop drinking the espn/nfl network kool aid. the media is in the business of sensationalizing things to sell papers/magazines/get good ratings for tv/radio/etc. when are people going to learn........................

--- Added 9/7/2010 at 09:12 PM ---

That whole captain nonsense is ridiculous as well. It's not like Ben has been a captain every year he's been on the team. Sometimes he is, sometimes he isn't. It's no big deal, but of course people love to start a controversy and read into anything they can.

because as much as they don't want to admit it, they know we are capable of causing some damage this year. rats and bungles fans can write us off but deep down they know we are not to be taken lightly so they need to read into this nonsense to try and convince themselves we are in trouble and will be an awful team

Zachintosh66
09-07-2010, 11:12 PM
NON ISSUE, Media is scrapping for anything now...

RIVERS OF STEEL
09-07-2010, 11:13 PM
tomlin is not for real. he rode to glory on the game of others. i don't think he is the real deal. especially after this comment. re: dixon starter vs ben at game 5. is he smokin crack? probably. what the hell does he want the fans to do? watch the steelers in december when he unleashes hell again. damn drama queens. or, i am totally misunderstanding all this s... fn ben allowed this s... to happen in the first place. what a mess.
who we playin first? i completely forgot.

GoBenGo
09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
....so we are arguing against a worse case scenario that Dennis has so completely overachieved in his starting role and is so successful that he keeps an elite qb on the bench....

Tags: win-win, no brainer, drug induced, king friday

coldrolled
09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
if dixon does well, his value will be even better with this kind of hype.

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
It amazes me that people actually post stuff like this...

75Steeler
09-07-2010, 11:51 PM
This is all media blowing comment out of shape. We all know Ben will be the #1 QB when he returns for game 5.

Dobre Shunka
09-07-2010, 11:53 PM
:lol::willybs::lol:

Blazedby92
09-08-2010, 12:51 AM
I call BULLSHEIT

Lunchbucket
09-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Tomlin is a drama queen :yellowthumb:

You are correct sir:clap:

steelersbabex25
09-08-2010, 07:21 AM
:duh: Whatever Tomlin.

Stlrs4Life
09-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Exactly, no way they leave him on the bench.

Layin the wood
09-08-2010, 08:48 AM
I can see ESPN eating this crap right now!!

JensK
09-08-2010, 09:38 AM
You can be damn sure, that there is no way in freaking hell Rooney is going to have his 108 million QB sitting on the bench if he could play. Sure, he wanted to lecture him, which is done. If they decided not to play him, you better as well cut him. That is WAY too much money to have sitting around on the bench

nuclearchihuahuas
09-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I really do not understand Tomlin's thought process on this one. Unless they are trying to spark interest in a trade for Ben or Dennis. They have 4 weeks to listen to offers, thats the only thing I can figure. What a dumb a** comment to make to the media.

Root4Stlrs
09-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I really do not understand Tomlin's thought process on this one. Unless they are trying to spark interest in a trade for Ben or Dennis. They have 4 weeks to listen to offers, thats the only thing I can figure. What a dumb a** comment to make to the media.
I don't think it means anything. Some ex-coach commentator, I forget who, said media making way too much of it. His take was that coaches never want to predict or commit to anything if they can avoid it, no matter what the question is -- part of coach speak. And also said everybody knows that Ben's going to be the starter so dumb question to begin with.

nuclearchihuahuas
09-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't think it means anything. Some ex-coach commentator, I forget who, said media making way too much of it. His take was that coaches never want to predict or commit to anything if they can avoid it, no matter what the question is -- part of coach speak. And also said everybody knows that Ben's going to be the starter so dumb question to begin with.

I hope it doesn't mean anything...our coach just kicked our qb when he's down and started a qb controversy...what an idiot! How is any of that in the team's best interest. Just let it go already :banging:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Exactly, a coach will always try to keep his opponents guessing any way they can. It's a total smokescreen, Tomlin has been doing it since he became the head coach. The media just loves to run with stuff like this. The bad part is, the average joe fan who knows little or believes everything they hear actually perpetuates this stuff too.

Oh well, whatever..Ben will be back after 4 weeks and he'll be chomping at the bit to get back on the field Im sure.

SteelDad
09-08-2010, 01:17 PM
This is exactly what I don't like about Tomlin. Who does he honestly think he is fooling? Forget his contract, BR is one of the premier QB's in the league and you're not going to play him when he returns? STFU. Stop talking Mike and coach this team up. Did you learn nothing from your 'unleash hell' comment?

KSSteelerfan
09-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Just more "mamby pamby jack wagon" wishful thinking by the anti-Steeler media in Bristol Connecticut and within all Steeler hating media outlets nationwide!!!!:yesnod:

lloydfan4life
09-08-2010, 01:21 PM
:hilarious: yeah right... and Tomlin was gonna unleash hell too! :rolleyes:

nuclearchihuahuas
09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
This is exactly what I don't like about Tomlin. Who does he honestly think he is fooling? Forget his contract, BR is one of the premier QB's in the league and you're not going to play him when he returns? STFU. Stop talking Mike and coach this team up. Did you learn nothing from your 'unleash hell' comment?

:plus1::plus1:

coldrolled
09-08-2010, 03:57 PM
We could only wish there was a QB controversy come week 5. A more like scenario is by 2:30 on Sunday we'll be saying along with Tomlin...when is Ben coming back?

The only story about a QB on Game 5 will be if Delhomme is starting...

Dixon is a backup.. cheer him on... Ben plays game 5. :cope:

Iron City South
09-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Some of you are too quick to lay blame on the media for running with this story when this whole thing could have been averted if Tomlin would have given a civil, straightforward answer like, "Yes, it's very safe to assume that Ben will assume his rightful starting postion upon his return"

THAT'S THE RIGHT ANSWER TO GIVE ....

Count me down as one that still isn't sold on Tomlin. I think he's full of "fluff" and "smokescreen" with his coach speak. This year will be his most defining in my opinion. He either improves this team and shows that last year was an anomoly, or he shits the bed and the real criticism will start.

coldrolled
09-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Its the nature of his speak...

harpo
09-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Tomlin sucks! I hate him. I don't care how many SBs he won or will win, he has to prove himself every year. I hate his draft picks, I hate his interviews, I hate his speech, I hate the clothes he wears, I hate the way he walks on the sidelines....(i'll think of another reason to hate him later). We need to bring back Cowher....or maybe Noll....or, maybe we can trade Whiz for Tomlin. (sarcasm on :greengrin:)

steelersbabex25
09-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Its the nature of his speak...

...it is what it is.

xxxsteelernation
09-08-2010, 07:39 PM
i was also thinking that this is a fire up dixon a confidence booster if you will give dixon some hope of becoming a starter if he lives up to certian goals. ya never know.

Root4Stlrs
09-08-2010, 07:54 PM
...it is what it is.
Talk about coach speak, that was Cowher's standard reply to every question. I got so tired of hearing it and started counting the number of times he used that phrase in his press conferences.