PDA

View Full Version : Dixon gets the nod?!

Zachintosh66
09-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Just got a tweet thats says Dixon will get the start...

airbrake 1
09-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Just got a tweet thats says Dixon will get the start...

i wonder if tomlin will give dixon as long a rope as bill cowher gave jim miller:lol:

nuclearchihuahuas
09-06-2010, 04:13 PM
BleachReport says its Batch

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I think Tomlin is going to keep the Falcons guessing.....So we might see conflicting reports all week......This outlet saying Batch then this one saying Dixon.....

Steel Trap86
09-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Facebook says Dixon also

Coach Mike Tomlin announced that Dennis Dixon will start at QB on Sunday vs. Atlanta.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/steelers

MattyVfromCT
09-06-2010, 04:32 PM
BleachReport says its Batch

bleacher report isn't coming from the steelers themselves

nuclearchihuahuas
09-06-2010, 04:41 PM
bleacher report isn't coming from the steelers themselves

That's true, and I have found them to be generally anti-Steelers in the past...I think I'm leaning toward believing the other reports

Big T
09-06-2010, 04:41 PM
I haven't heard of Tomlin naming a starter but Dixon was running the first team today:

Dennis Dixon takes first team snaps at Steelers practice
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 6, 2010 3:31 PM ET

Early speculation pointed towards Charlie Batch as the Steelers' possible starter in Pittsburgh's opener against the Falcons, but it was Dennis Dixon who took the first team snaps at practice on Monday.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Batch was taking snaps with the second team.* We'll have to wait and see if Mike Tomlin announces a starter -- we doubt he will soon -- but starter snaps should tell us everything we need to know.

Unless Tomlin is trying to pull a fast one on the media and has Batch taking first team snaps later in the week, it looks like Dixon will help me avoid losing a regrettable bet to MDS.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/06/dennis-dixon-takes-first-team-snaps-at-steelers-practice/

Dee Mca
09-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Just got text from KDKA their saying Dixon will be the starter.

nuclearchihuahuas
09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Yep and now NFL network reporting DD to start...guess its official

Steel Trap86
09-06-2010, 05:16 PM
If they actually went with Batch I would have lost all hope in Tomlin lol

Dennis Dixon will be behind center when the Steelers begin their 2010 season against the Falcons on Sunday.

Coach Mike Tomlin confirmed Dixon's role during his Monday press conference. Dixon ran the first-team offense in practice Monday.
NFL Audio Pass

Don't miss any of the action with NFL Audio Pass, which gives you access to every game's radio calls. Find out more here.

Longtime Steelers backup Charlie Batch got reps with the second team. Batch and Dixon are the only healthy quarterbacks on Tomlin's roster while Ben Roethlisberger serves his four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Byron Leftwich had been in line to start in Roethlisberger's absence, but he sprained his left MCL in the Steelers' final preseason game last Thursday. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that his knee was wrapped as he watched practice Monday.

Leftwich -- acquired by the Steelers in April -- is projected to miss 2-4 weeks, which means he could be behind center against the Titans in Week 2.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a5016c/article/dixon-gets-starting-nod-over-batch-in-week-1?module=HP_headlines

steelersbabex25
09-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Thank you everyone..what did I say? :lol:

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
This is great DD FTW....I can't wait for the opener. Bring on the dirty birds!

SteelDad
09-06-2010, 05:45 PM
i wonder if tomlin will give dixon as long a rope as bill cowher gave jim miller:lol:

Buwahahahahahahahaha!!! Miller is on sports talk radio a lot here in the mitten and I swear he always finds a way to rip the Steelers. What a tool.

--- Added 9/6/2010 at 03:45 PM ---

First of all, when did facebook become a credible news outlet?????:eek:

Anyway, I think DD getting the nod is about two things. 1. The kid has busted *** to earn this shot and he is deserving. 2. CB had to have gone into camp thinking he'll never see the field and I imagine the coaching staff thought the same thing. Starting DD gives CB time to prepare properly if Dixon just can't cut it.

LatrobePA
09-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I think had shitwich not gotten hurt he'd be starting. Charlie "soft" Batch isn't up to snuff!

DD is the only option at this point...Although I say we win a few with him.

steelersbabex25
09-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Atleast he'll be fun to watch.

coldrolled
09-06-2010, 06:14 PM
:plus1:
Atleast he'll be fun to watch.

Steel Trap86
09-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Buwahahahahahahahaha!!! Miller is on sports talk radio a lot here in the mitten and I swear he always finds a way to rip the Steelers. What a tool.

--- Added 9/6/2010 at 03:45 PM ---

First of all, when did facebook become a credible news outlet?????:eek:

Anyway, I think DD getting the nod is about two things. 1. The kid has busted *** to earn this shot and he is deserving. 2. CB had to have gone into camp thinking he'll never see the field and I imagine the coaching staff thought the same thing. Starting DD gives CB time to prepare properly if Dixon just can't cut it.

it has an official steelers group and they're pretty quick

coldrolled
09-06-2010, 06:18 PM
How about Steelers.com

Tomlin names Dixon the starter
By Bob Labriola – Steelers Digest

Posted 1 hour ago

aaAt one point in the preseason, it seemed as though Coach Mike Tomlin planned to be coy about who would be the starting quarterback for the Steelers in their opener against the Atlanta Falcons on Sept. 12 at Heinz Field.

When asked on Aug. 27 when he might pick an opening game starter, Tomlin said, “It’s probably beneficial for us to hold our cards. Coach (Mike) Smith does an awesome job in Atlanta. I have a great deal of respect for him. But I’d imagine it’s going to be increasingly difficult for him to play us if we don’t provide that information for him.”

But on Monday, Sept. 6, Tomlin was definitive.

“Dennis Dixon will start for us at quarterback this week,” said Tomlin. “He’ll be backed up by Charlie Batch. Dennis has had a very productive preseason and training camp. He went into the training camp as a young guy, second in the pecking order behind Byron Leftwich. He did a nice job. He made it extremely competitive. He wedged himself into a battle and got some first-team reps in some preseason games. Largely, we’ve been very impressed with how he’s handling himself and the situation, but the same could be said for all the guys. I think they were extremely professional, very competitive and helpful to one another, genuinely the type of competition you’re looking for across all positions when you’re putting together a football team. It’s been a good process for us.”

Said Dixon, “It’s an honor. It’s every quarterback’s dream to get an opportunity to start in the National Football League. My number’s called now, so I’m going to have fun with it. I’m happy, but then again there’s a lot of work to be done. I just want to be even-keeled and put my team in the best situation.”

The process began with what Tomlin described as a pecking order, and it went this way: Byron Leftwich, Dixon, Batch. Heading into the preseason finale, that’s the way it still seemed to be, because after Ben Roethlisberger started and got some work in the no-huddle, Leftwich entered the game, with most of the first-team offense still on the field.

But Leftwich sprained a knee on a play in which he completed a pass to Emmanuel Sanders, and Tomlin characterized him on Monday as doubtful for the opener. With Leftwich removed from the process, Tomlin decided to go with Dixon.

“I was pretty clear about the pecking order when we went into training camp,” said Tomlin. “It was based on a lot of things – the No. 1 thing being the performance and the level of comfort we had with the men in the spring. But also a factor in that pecking order was Charlie’s durability leading up to that point, or lack of durability. He’s a guy who’s been on IR a little bit the last couple of years, and that was one of the reasons he was third in the pecking order. But also, Charlie requires very few snaps to be ready to play football at an acceptable level. It benefited us. It didn’t benefit him personally in terms of the number of snaps given. It benefited Dennis in terms of the opportunity to give us a number of quality looks, and looks we’re comfortable with. We know if called upon Charlie Batch is going to give us winning football.”

One of Tomlin’s stated goals of the preseason was to get Dixon a lot of repetitions, because of his relative inexperience, but he also wanted to make sure Roethlisberger had a productive training camp before being required to serve his suspension, which was reduced to four games by Commissioner Roger Goodell on Sept. 3.

Roethlisberger ended up starting the final three preseason games, and he completed 14 of the 20 passes he attempted. Dixon attempted 32 passes and completed 23, with two touchdowns and two interceptions, both of which came in the team’s loss in Denver. Leftwich started the preseason opener, and he finished 11-of-24, with one touchdown and no interceptions. Batch played mostly in the final two preseason games, and he finished 7-for-10, with one touchdown and one interception.

“I would love to be out there,” said Batch, “but right now I’m into the role I’ve always been, and that’s one snap away from being ready to go. Either way I’ll be ready to go.”

Tomlin said Dixon will not be on a short leash in what will be his second NFL start. The first came last Nov. 29 in Baltimore against the Ravens, when Roethlisberger was sidelined with a concussion and Batch was out with a broken wrist.

“I haven’t pondered that thought whatsoever,” said Tomlin when asked whether he might utilize a quick hook. “At this juncture, we’re focused on preparing Dennis, and ultimately playing Dennis, and we’re going to be hopeful in regards to how we perform.”

In the run-up to Dixon’s first NFL start, there was some expectation that Roethlisberger would be ready to go, but when he wasn’t cleared to play by late in the week, the Steelers had to go with Dixon. Because of that, Dixon got through much of that week under the radar in terms of the media attention normally accompanying such a move. That won’t be the case this time.

“I’m proceeding with the assumption that he’s going to be above the line in terms of how he handles those things,” said Tomlin. “This guy is not a rookie, this is not his first start. He started a game for us a year ago. He’s been around and in the room on a good football team in some big moments, in preparation for big moments. I would imagine he has learned from those things. I would imagine he’s going to call on all of that experience – not only here, but this guy played some big-time ball out in Oregon and has been in some hostile environments and led his team in a spectacular way. His life has led him to this point, and I expect him to deal with that in an above the line manner.”

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Hey I think Dixon deserves a shot........Kid can make plays but BA needs to get it through his skull that Dixon will never be a traditional pocket passer and the kid can make plays with his legs........Learn from the mistakes that Ray Sherman and Kevin Gilbride made with Kordell..........But I'm sure BA will be his usual stubborn self......So running game and defense will have shoulder the load....Memo to special teams no big returns allowed.....

Dean Denton
09-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Maybe Randell El can start.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Dixon deserves a shot I suppose, but I would bet money he will be on a short leash. Batch will be ready to go if Dennis starts playing out of his *** like he did against Denver. This is when it counts now, there's no "oh we'll work on it and get better next week" anymore. He needs to be on the money, not forcing balls, not making stupid mistakes. I would rather him take off and run then toss some crazy errant pass that gets picked off.

LatrobePA
09-06-2010, 09:40 PM
He played out of *** in Denver thanks to Tomlin, he wanted to put him in those positions and that gave him little room for error, now lets see how he rebounds. I personally think he'll shine if allowed to play Dixon ball!!

xxxsteelernation
09-07-2010, 01:57 AM
Arians is the one that held DD in that game, arians wanted dixon to stay in the pocket to make plays in denver. instead of "unleashing hell" and letting dixon torch the d with his speed
The playcalling in that game stunk
Arians set dixon up to fail in that game becuase he's got a woody for lefty. I guarnteed that if lefty was to play and was healthy, rooney would have fired arians mid season.

--- Added 9/6/2010 at 11:57 PM ---

This is what arians needs to do with dixon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqrlH_tsROo
Chip kelly put up 45+points a game with this offense. and i know that NFL coaches don't like their QB's to run but if they can run like dixon then this would be perfect.

KSSteelerfan
09-07-2010, 02:55 AM
Doesn't matter whose starting as long as BA is doing the play calling......:imho:

DanRooney
09-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Arians had nothing to do with Dixon stinking up the joint Sunday night. That was just Dixon making stupid decisions with the football.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Arians had nothing to do with Dixon stinking up the joint Sunday night. That was just Dixon making stupid decisions with the football.

:plus1: But dont even bother... its not worth it.

LarryNJ
09-07-2010, 08:21 AM

:plus1: But dont even bother... its not worth it.

:plus1::plus1:

It was a pre season game, every team uses a very limited play book. This week we will see an actual game plan designed around DD. If you don't agree with the calls than blast away at BA, but IMHO it's crazy to blame a coordinator in a meaning less game that is nothing more than a practice that they sell 65,000 $80 ticket too.

I think DD is the only option they have and I'm confident he'll be ok. Not great but do enough to win.

LatrobePA
09-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Leftwich could be ready for week 2. Better step up DD.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Blazedby92
09-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Arians is the one that held DD in that game, arians wanted dixon to stay in the pocket to make plays in denver. instead of "unleashing hell" and letting dixon torch the d with his speed
The playcalling in that game stunk
Arians set dixon up to fail in that game becuase he's got a woody for lefty. I guarnteed that if lefty was to play and was healthy, rooney would have fired arians mid season.

This is what arians needs to do with dixon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqrlH_tsROo
Chip kelly put up 45+points a game with this offense. and i know that NFL coaches don't like their QB's to run but if they can run like dixon then this would be perfect.

This isn't college.

:plus1::plus1::plus1::willybs:

coldrolled
09-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Leftwich could be ready for week 2. Better step up DD.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Leftwich has the same type tear as troy had. 2 weeks.. no way... limping in 2 weeks.
He will need 6 weeks, troy needed the whole season basically..

Arians.. if his play calling is bad starting game one. arians may be packing at the bye week. his contract is up and he has no extension.. arian lover steeler fans and douchebag bouchette can stick up all they want for him. the proof is the the zero confidence contract renewal he has right now... if arians was good he would have an extension... bottom line. he not that good.

this obvious adjustment he needs to make on offense will make him shine or be the final nail in his steeler tour. :imho:

LatrobePA
09-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree...Redzone percentage keeps coming to mind. His short and goal calls are worthless as is 75% of his others!

Blazedby92
09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Leftwich has the same type tear as troy had. 2 weeks.. no way... limping in 2 weeks.
He will need 6 weeks, troy needed the whole season basically..

Arians.. if his play calling is bad starting game one. arians may be packing at the bye week. his contract is up and he has no extension.. arian lover steeler fans and douchebag bouchette can stick up all they want for him. the proof is the the zero confidence contract renewal he has right now... if arians was good he would have an extension... bottom line. he not that good.

this obvious adjustment he needs to make on offense will make him shine or be the final nail in his steeler tour. :imho:

enough already we all know he sucks going on three years now

Steel Trap86
09-07-2010, 04:43 PM
so sick of hearing about arians everytime this team loses.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2010, 04:55 PM
More proof positive that there is no set in stone QB situation right now. If Dixon plays well then he'll most likely keep the job till Ben comes back. If he falters and Lefty is ready, he will play. If Dixon falters and Lefty is not ready but Batch is, then Batch will play.

When it's all said and done no matter what, Ben is the starter of this team and he is your Quarterback. We should all be ready for a possible 3 ring QB circus for the first 4 weeks, just in case. The Tomlin has done the QB rotation all off season and pre season baffles just about everybody anyways so why should we suspect anything different from happening in the first month of the season.

coldrolled
09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
enough already we all know he sucks going on three years now

I get to read this stuff and get pumped for the game, then it doesnt happen... so i blame BA...

it sounds great... i hope he tells arians about it...

Media Question: Will you try to keep Dennisís running reigned in?

Mike Tomlin: You just want him to do what comes natural. If heís playing on instinct and knowledge, itís like running water. If you give him too much instruction in terms of the things youíre talking about, then itís not going to be natural, itís not going to be fluid, itís not going to be comfortable, and those are things I want his performance to be.

Media Question: Do you have a short-yardage back?

Mike Tomlin: Isaac Redmanís going to get a chance to be featured in that area. Heís been very good in that area over the two-plus years heís been here. Weíre going to give him an opportunity to see if he can continue to excel.

Media Question: Is the entire playbook open for Dennis?

Mike Tomlin: In no specific week is the entire playbook open, so I donít want to mislead you in that regard, but we havenít pared down our game plan for him in any form or fashion because of youth or inexperience. Weíre going to do the things that highlight his skills and weíre going to have a normal-sized package or plan that we would have at this time of the year. Ö If itís limited in any way, itís limited because itís the first time out and not because Dennis is our quarterback.

LatrobePA
09-07-2010, 05:24 PM
so sick of hearing about arians everytime this team loses.

If I order a pizza and it shows up cold, I blame Bruce Arians, I hate his play calling and his lack to change and attack a D's weakness, thus making me hate him!

Every chance I get to slam him, I will! lol

steelfury455
09-07-2010, 08:02 PM
wish nothing but the the BEST for D.D but lets hope the defense scores some TDs and Kordell junior there can get Jeff Reed in there close enough to be a .500 team by the time Ben comes back.

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Is there really a chance Arians gets fired? Because I don't really think this franchise fires him, especially during the season.

steel-tex
09-07-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't think i ever disliked a coach as much as i do B.A. - he is terrible. I think there r a few of you guys on this list that would call a better game. He is a joke.

Real Deal Steel
09-08-2010, 01:40 AM
I think that with him being the starter, Dixon will step up. Similar to what he did in the Ravens game. He knows he's the stater and he won't get yanked and he can just relax and play.

I think we can win the game 20-13.