PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben not elected a Steelers captain

PsychoWard
09-06-2010, 02:16 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Ben-Roethlisberger-not-elected-Pittsburgh-Steelers-captain-090610

Beleaguered Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will not serve as one of the team's captains this season.

A captain the previous season, Roethlisberger was not selected by the team to reprise the role. He will be suspended for the first four games for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

The team named tight end Heath Miller, wide receiver Hines Ward, linebacker James Farrior and special teamer Keyaron Fox as the four captains.

Roethlisberger was suspended for six games in April, but NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said at the time he would review the player's behavior over the next few months. Goodell was satisfied that the quarterback has followed the league's guidelines and stayed out of trouble and later reduced the suspension.

Roethlisberger was accused of sexually assaulting a Georgia college student following a night of drinking in a Milledgeville, Ga., bar on March 5. He was not charged by Georgia authorities.

The league said the ''reinstatement is contingent on Roethlisberger continuing to adhere to the program established by our advisors and avoiding any further violations of the personal conduct policy.''

Roethlisberger also is being sued in Nevada by a woman who says he sexually assaulted her there in 2008. No charges were brought in that case, and it did not figure in the NFL's suspension.

Ouch if thats not a slap in the face!!!

Big T
09-06-2010, 02:22 PM
He's suspended for the first 4 games and can't even be at the facility. What did you expect?

LatrobePA
09-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Was he thinking about his team in Georgia that night???

He had this coming...Good for Miller and Ward!

Prosdo
09-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Ward and Miller are much more appropriate captains. Ben has not shown he is a leader.

PsychoWard
09-06-2010, 02:36 PM
He's suspended for the first 4 games and can't even be at the facility. What did you expect?

I agree with it! I am just saying hopefully this will also be a reality check for him.

Silverback
09-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Heath Miller is the consummate professional football player. He does his job day in and day out, never has a sour word for anyone, and kicks ***. what a guy, definitely my favorite steeler.

airbrake 1
09-06-2010, 02:58 PM
I agree on the captain picks... Ben should not have been named captain this year because of the 4 games he wont be there. But if he was so disliked in the locker room it makes you wonder how he was elected captain last year. -HHHMMM-

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I think Ben sure looked like a leader when he led his team to a Super Bowl game winning TD......I understand why he isn't captain while on suspension but when he is off suspension I'm sorry then Ben should have his captain role back.........

nuclearchihuahuas
09-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Good for Heath! He earned this honor. Ben isn't going to be there for the first month, why would he be elected captain? As I understand it he doesn't actually count against the 53 man roster right now.

steelersbabex25
09-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Ouch if thats not a slap in the face!!!

...I don't know what is.

Dean Denton
09-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I think Ben sure looked like a leader when he led his team to a Super Bowl game winning TD......I understand why he isn't captain while on suspension but when he is off suspension I'm sorry then Ben should have his captain role back......... Maybe we should wait and see how Ben handles the rest of the season before we go talking about him being captain again. He should earn the right to be a leader again. He can start with not getting in trouble for a month.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2010, 07:31 PM
There's no way Ben would have made captain. The Steelers are trying to keep him out of the public eye as much as they can. Granted he'll be on the field when he comes back but his teammates know he's good, they support him, so does the front office but still it's not a logical choice. Also he's suspended for the first 4 games so he can't be on the field anyways. It's no surprise at all and Im sure Ben is ok with it.

steelersbabex25
09-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm surprised by Farrior though..I'd think that Smith or Polamalu would be the captain on defense.

mos07
09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
This is no news - of course he would not be captain with the suspension.

What irritated me was a story I saw on a rumor mill site that said Ben had been de-captained. As far as I know, it is an annual election. People are not voted out - they are voted in.

Harrison and Reed were captains last year - were they voted out???? I don't think so.
There wasn't a secret ballot to vote these players out - others simply earned the nod this year.

If Ben comes back, plays well, and behaves himself, he definitely could be captain next year.

He cannot be considered captain if he is not there - so I like Miller and Ward as captains ....

Bring on Sunday - two and a half point dogs at home my ***............

Iron City South
09-07-2010, 10:28 AM
It would have been nice to see Woodley get the nod over Farrior since Farrior has had this honor bestowed upon him before.

No issues with Heath, Ward, and Fox

Zachintosh66
09-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Not a big deal about Ben, cant be a captain when missing for a quarter of the season.

Farrior, Smith and Ward easily the most respected guys on the team, so no shocker to see 2 of the 3 as captains.

LatrobePA
09-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I still can't believe the media is making this such a big deal...Who cares, and who expected him to keep C? Not me!!

Root4Stlrs
09-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Not a big deal about Ben, cant be a captain when missing for a quarter of the season.

Farrior, Smith and Ward easily the most respected guys on the team, so no shocker to see 2 of the 3 as captains.
Totally agree. Why would you even expect Ben to be the captain when he's not even allowed to be there? And as far as Farrior goes, I am always amazed how many of his teammates show up for his charity functions here in Richmond. From my limited observations, he strikes me as a very classy guy.

coldrolled
09-07-2010, 12:03 PM
It would have been nice to see Woodley get the nod over Farrior since Farrior has had this honor bestowed upon him before.

No issues with Heath, Ward, and Fox

Farrior is a good pick, it is probably his last year..

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2010, 03:52 PM
The media always over blows this whole captain thing. Ben wasn't always a team capt, then the last 2 years he was, now he isn't. Big deal, it's not like team captains do anything other than the coin toss. Ben had his share of problems this offseason, the team is behind him, capt or not.

Ugh, I hate the main stream media making a circus out of something so trivial.

steelerschick1220
09-07-2010, 10:00 PM
As usual, the media is making a big deal out of nothing. The man is missing a quarter of the season so there was no way he was going to make captain. Harrison and Reed would have way more reason to be offended then Ben ever would.

Layin the wood
09-08-2010, 08:36 AM
As usual, the media is making a big deal out of nothing. The man is missing a quarter of the season so there was no way he was going to make captain. Harrison and Reed would have way more reason to be offended then Ben ever would.

:plus1: