PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich knee injury...Update 9/3, sprained MCL, out 2-4 weeks

BlitzburghRockCity
09-02-2010, 10:16 PM
His leg was planted and just after he threw it he got whipped up in the air. It didn't look pretty and he left for the locker room before halftime and then went for an MRI in the 2nd half. No update yet other than Tomlin calling it a knee sprain at this point.

Zachintosh66
09-02-2010, 10:24 PM
oh please oh please dont start Batch...

Steel Trap86
09-02-2010, 10:24 PM
this is f*cked, neither dixon or leftwich is consistent. a slow and injured lefty isn't going to win us games. we have to take a chance on dixon.

F*CK YOU GOODELL

Zachintosh66
09-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Leftwich has MCL damage
Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2010 10:25 PM ET
An agency purporting to represent Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich has posted on Twitter that Leftwich suffered a torn MCL on Thursday night in the preseason finale against the Panthers.

The Twitter page assigned to Pro Player Solutions links to a website that makes the entire thing seem legit. But as further proof of the flaws in Mike Wise's logic, we didn't take this one at face value, because it wasn't contained in a report from a tenured member of a respected media company.

Based on the PPS tweet, we have learned that Leftwich has damage to his MCL. The degree of the damage isn't known.

The MCL is a rope-like ligament that, if not completely severed, often can heal with rest. Until the degree of Leftwich's injury is known, the duration of his absence will be uncertain.

Still, with his primary assignment for 2010 covering the next four games (or if Terry Bradshaw gets his wish six), the existence of any MCL damage constitutes bad news for Leftwich.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/02/leftwich-has-mcl-damage/

cmerrifield
09-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Steelersdepot is reporting torn MCL and out for season

BlitzburghRockCity
09-02-2010, 10:33 PM
It's all speculation right now, but I just saw the reports on the MCL damage as well. We'll have to wait for confirmation to be sure.

mwittman5
09-02-2010, 10:35 PM
dixon gets the keys to the car. dont wreck it son!

igor0190
09-02-2010, 10:38 PM
A torn MCL is typically 6-8 week injury and to be honest, leftwich doesn't need an MCL in perfect condition to play anyways. It's not like the guy moves an inch in the pocket anyways. Remember in college he played with a broken leg, and they carried him to the line of scrimmage. (mind you every play was in shotgun). He's a sitting duck with a golf swing windup of an arm.

Put Dixon in and let him manage the game. Like Ben did in his first season. 60/40 run/pass mix, and call smart plays. (cough cough Bruce Arians).

75Steeler
09-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I will hold all comment and opinion till I hear it from Ed Bouchette at the Post Gazette tomorrow morning.

Zachintosh66
09-02-2010, 10:40 PM
now they will prolly start Batch considering he has barley any snaps in practice this year... thats how Bruce Arians rolls...

DanRooney
09-02-2010, 10:42 PM
This might be a blessing in disguise. If Goodell takes into consideration our situation at quarterback with an injured Leftwich, it might give him a little incentive to lessen the suspension to 3 games. I'm sure Rooney will be pushing for it.

coldrolled
09-02-2010, 10:46 PM
dixon gets the keys to the car. dont wreck it son!

arians just hid under his desk , because he probably never had a game plan set for dixon

steelcitysfinestXL
09-02-2010, 10:46 PM
i was at work and didnt get to see the game... but Dixons stat line was 1 for 1 for a 23 yard TD. The fact that Batch finished the game after a short stint by DD would point to them not risking DD to injury because... he will be the starter! I mean, its common sense...right!?

Real Deal Steel
09-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Arians has 10 days to get it together. Charlie Batch needs to split reps with Dixon with Dixon getting the majority of reps the last two to three days before the game.

It's that simple.

Steel Trap86
09-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Just saw on NFLN, they're saying Leftwich does in fact have MCL damage. Dixon has 10 days to get his **** in check, but f*ck the 4 games we need Ben's suspension cut to 3!

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-02-2010, 11:17 PM
If Lefty is out for any length of time definitely Dixon,actually I would have preferred Dixon just "managing the game",ala Ben early on in his career, with Batch the back up,that leaves who for third?? ARE to the rescue,hell he could probably be starting by week 2 :stirpot: !!:lol: Tomlin always saying versatile players make the team...

SteelerEyeZ
09-02-2010, 11:23 PM
I HATE BRUCE...sorry i am venting

LatrobePA
09-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Bring in Garcia!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Pittsburgh Post Gazette Plus is reporting that Art II won't ask for anything less then four games.......If true then Art II is an idiot and was really the one behind Ben being suspended......I really hope Pittsburgh Post Gazette Plus is 100 wrong and made an error.....

Dobre Shunka
09-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Lefty's was born with MCL damage.

Start him regardless, i mean think about it, will it even matter or make the slightest impact on his playing style?

As I stated in another post, mend em, bind em, juice em, and get him out there.

coldrolled
09-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Pittsburgh Post Gazette Plus is reporting that Art II won't ask for anything less then four games.......If true then Art II is an idiot and was really the one behind Ben being suspended......I really hope Pittsburgh Post Gazette Plus is 100 wrong and made an error.....

i said way back day one, rooney told goodell to lay it on him hard, rooney probably added 3 weeks to it from the get go.....

douchebag bouchette, is what keeps arians in the burgh, he never lays into arians.
he is always blaming someone else on the offense... plus douchebag wanted ben suspended longer too.. he was using the word rape in his articles too..right?.. even now hes writing about how theres no way it goes less than 4... he knows all.. what a jerk.

steelersbabex25
09-03-2010, 06:19 AM
I think we all wanted Dixon to start anyway.. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't wish injury on to anyone. But..

Dean Denton
09-03-2010, 07:16 AM
This is F***ing comical. Of course he dusted his knee...lol Hey, maybe we can get JaMarcus Russell or Matt Leinart....lol I guess Dixon is getting that start after all....go pac 10.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-03-2010, 08:17 AM
There is still no official word from the PG, Steelers.com, or the Trib. The only source that mentioned the MCL tear so far is PFT. I'll believe it when I see it. If it is true, don't rule out Batch getting the start. He's as fragile as can be but he is experienced and Tomlin likes that in a QB. We'll have to wait and see how it pans out right now.

K Train
09-03-2010, 08:24 AM
dixon has to be the starter now, no question. i would be so pissed if they arent giving him 90% of the reps now

jpele
09-03-2010, 08:35 AM
PIttsburgh Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich(notes) tore his medial collateral ligament, according to Pro Players Solutions.

"Our thoughts and concerns are with PPS client Byron Leftwich who tore his MCL this evening," the agency posted on its Twitter account. "Bad luck for a classy guy.

Leftwich got hurt against the Carolina Panthers.

Afterward, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters that Leftwich sprained his knee and will undergo a magnetic resonance imaging exam.

If Leftwich is sidelined for an extended period, Dennis Dixon(notes) would start while Ben Roethlisberger(notes) serves his NFL suspension.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100903_agency_leftwich_has_torn_medial_collatera l_ligament)

--- Added 9/3/2010 at 07:35 AM ---

My money says they start Batch,that's why Dixon got the quick hook last night and Charlie played so long.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Batch had almost no reps at all during the whole preseason and took none with the starters in camp. Playing Batch last night to get him some game time was the right thing to do if for no other reason than if they do go with Charlie or if Dixon starts but then falters. I would have liked to see Dixon atleast finish out the first half and get more than 1 pass in.

coldrolled
09-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Leftwich out indefinitely with MCL tear
An MRI confirmed the worst for the Steelers, who since the spring have been preparing Byron Leftwich to start at quarterback while Roethlisberger serves a likely four-game suspension at the start of the regular season.

JensK
09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Quarterback Byron Leftwich has apparently torn the medial collateral ligament in his left knee all but knocking him out of the games the Steelers had planned to start him.

Leftwich left the Steelers' 19-3 win against the Panthers Thursday night early in the second quarter after another player rolled onto his lower leg.

An MRI confirmed the worst for the Steelers, who since the spring have been preparing Leftwich to start while Roethlisberger serves a likely four-game suspension at the start of the regular season.

The loss of Leftwich leaves the Steelers with just two healthy quarterbacks for now.

Dennis Dixon becomes the frontrunner to fill in under center while Roethlisberger is out. The Steelers also have Charlie Batch, who had been the odd man out in the competition to replace Roethlisberger.

The Homestead native has started 49 career games and played well in the past when called upon to play for Roethlisberger.

Dixon has made just one start in his two NFL seasons.

With Leftwich sidelined indefinitely, the Steelers could bring in another quarterback or sign one to their practice squad when that is put together following the finalization of 53-man rosters Saturday.

Coach Mike Tomlin said the Steelers could make some cuts today. They have until 6 p.m. Saturday to trim 22 players from their active roster.

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
ESPN's Sal Palantonio reports that Bens camp will ask for the suspension to be reduced to 2 games. Their argument will be that Ben shouldn't get a harsh 6 game suspension when he wasn't convicted if anything.

But then again.... This is ESPN..

coldrolled
09-03-2010, 10:24 AM
ESPN's Sal Palantonio reports that Bens camp will ask for the suspension to be reduced to 2 games. Their argument will be that Ben shouldn't get a harsh 6 game suspension when he wasn't convicted if anything.

But then again.... This is ESPN..

:yellowthumb: thats how it should be.. :yellowthumb:

i still think he gets the 4, i believe the Goodell and the Ravens Fan angle... :grin1:

Zachintosh66
09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
bullshit, mike vick only served 2 when he got outta jail but ben gets 4

Lefty knee isnt torn... sprain

92_is_gonna_kill_you
09-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Vick had jail time and was out of the league for over a year.

coldrolled
09-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Lefty knee isnt torn... sprain

It is torn i heard, just not completely torn thru. Like Troy had last year.

--- Added 9/3/2010 at 10:44 AM ---

The Browns 2nd Round pick.. plus trading three picks for the 2nd round... tore his left acl. in college he tore his right acl.. sounds like a waste of a round 2 pick. glad we got dwyer....

Steel Trap86
09-03-2010, 12:53 PM
All of a sudden, losing Ben Roethlisberger for at least a month isn't the Pittsburgh Steelers' only quarterback concern.

Byron Leftwich, expected to be the Steelers' fill-in starter while Roethlisberger is suspended, injured his left knee Thursday night and appears to be out indefinitely.

An MRI exam on Friday revealed that Leftwich tore the medial collateral ligament in the knee, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

The team has not confirmed the extent of Leftwich's injury.

Leftwich, tuning up for his anticipated Sept. 12 start against the Atlanta Falcons, sprained the knee during the second quarter of the Steelers' preseason finale against the Carolina Panthers.

Leftwich's teammates sounded discouraged after the 19-3 victory. Backup quarterback Charlie Batch called it a "serious" injury, and Dennis Dixon -- now the likely starter in Pittsburgh's season opener -- said he couldn't talk to Leftwich because doctors were so intensely working on the knee.

"It's an opportunity, I guess, but it's unfortunate for Byron for what he went through," said Dixon, who has started only one NFL game. "But this team has to continue to go forward. I know once he's going to come back, he's going to give us nothing but tremendous support."

As Dixon talked to reporters, Roethlisberger -- leaving the Steelers' locker room for the last time in at least a month -- leaned close and offered words of encouragement. Roethlisberger will meet with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Friday to learn if his suspension for off-the-field behavior will be reduced to four games, as expected, or stay at six games.

"It's very tough, kind of emotional," said Roethlisberger, who can't practice with the Steelers while he's suspended. "I've just got to go do what I've got to do."
NFL Audio Pass

Don't miss any of the action with NFL Audio Pass, which gives you access to every game's radio calls. Find out more here.

Leftwich was hurt on an 18-yard completion to rookie wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders as Steelers running back Mewelde Moore and Panthers safety Marcus Hudson collided near him with 10:25 remaining in the first half. Leftwich immediately clutched his knee in pain.

Leftwich was examined by team doctors on a stretcher behind the Steelers' bench, then limped into a nearby tunnel that leads to the locker room. As Leftwich was being helped off, Tomlin immediately lifted Dixon, who completed his only pass for a 23-yard touchdown to Sanders.

Batch, the longtime backup who looked to be in danger of not making Pittsburgh's roster, played the final 2 quarters and handed off on nearly every play. Batch attempted just four passes.

Leftwich was the Steelers' backup quarterback during their Super Bowl-winning 2008 season, then left for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in free agency. The Steelers reacquired Leftwich in an offseason trade to give them the depth to deal with Roethlisberger's suspension.

http://www.nfl.com/preseason/story/09000d5d81a38fd4/article/report-steelers-qb-leftwich-injures-left-knee-suffers-torn-mcl?module=HP_headlines

Torn MCL

BlitzburghRockCity
09-03-2010, 01:29 PM
No No No, I knew this whole torn MCL stuff was crap...it was too soon after the injury to call it a torn MCL

Leftwich has sprained ligament, out 2 to 4 weeks
Friday, September 03, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich has a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee and he will miss two to four weeks with the injury, a source told the Post-Gazette today.
Leftwich, the presumed starter during Ben Roethlisberger's four-game suspension, was injured during the second quarter of Thursday night's preseason game against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field.
The Steelers have two other quarterbacks on their roster, veteran Charlie Batch and third-year player Dennis Dixon.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10246 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10246/1084799-100.stm#ixzz0yUMDTwkn)/1084799-100.stm#ixzz0yUMDTwkn (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10246/1084799-100.stm#ixzz0yUMDTwkn)

(http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10246/1084799-100.stm#ixzz0yUMDTwkn)

Root4Stlrs
09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
No No No, I knew this whole torn MCL stuff was crap...it was too soon after the injury to call it a torn MCL

(http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10246/1084799-100.stm#ixzz0yUMDTwkn)
I read second degree sprain somewhere, think it was Mortensen who said it, which means there are some torn fibers but not complete tear. If it is second degree, that would explain all the conflicting accounts. Don't know how many games that means but would imagine at least first 4?? Question then becomes what happens to him as far as being on the team or on IR or PUP list??

TampaSteelGirl
09-03-2010, 03:20 PM
I feel bad for him...he doesnt' have much time left in the NFL and this was suppose to be his last shot IMO....As much as I wanted DD to start I would never wish this one anyone. Ihope he recovers fast....:yellowthumb: