PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers and a Fast Start

greg1964
09-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Ever since the Milledgeville, and the schedule was release, people have been saying that the Steelers need to get off to a fast start or the season is done. Although I would love for the Steelers to start off 4-0, when I looked at the Bengals and Ravens schedule, the Steelers could recover if they stumble to a 1-3 or 2-2 start, as long as the one of those win was against the Ravens.

The Bengals 1st four games are against: N.E. Baltimore, at Carolina and at Cleveland: I could see the Bengals going 2-2 during the first month with one divisional lost and conference lost. If we assume, that N.E. and Baltimore are as good as advertised. Although it would be a benefit the Steelers if Cincinnati wins that Baltimore game. Because if Cincinnati beat Baltimore and the Steelers win their matchup against the Ravens, that would be two divisional loses for the Raven in the first month of the season.

The Ravens 1st four games are against at N.Y. Jets, at Bengals, Brown and at Steelers. I for one think the Jets are overhyped, but if they could pull out a win against the Ravens, they could find themselves starting the season 1-3 or 2-2 also after they lose to the Steelers. And if the lose to the Bengals and Steelers, they also could find themselves with two divisional lost.

Although we cannot dismiss last year result, we also cannot say that last year is a pattern yet: So in the last four years, the Steelers are 21-5 within their division and 4 of those lost took place last year. The only two times the Ravens have beaten the Steelers during that time Ben was out of BOTH of those games. In fact the last time the Bengals beat the Steelers with Troy in the game was 2004-05 season.

This will be Tomlin fourth year coaching the team, and before last year, he was UNDEFEATED against the division. Do I think both the Bengals and the Ravens have upgraded during the off-season? Yes I do, but I also think the Steelers have upgraded with a healthy Aaron and Troy and the return of McFadden. So I will place the Steelers defense against any upgrades the other two have on offense.

After going through the Bengals schedule I could see the Bengals finishing 7-9 losses to the following: N.E., Baltimore (twice), Atlanta, Pittsburgh (twice) Indianapolis, N.Y. Jets, New Orleans, San Diego.

After going through the Ravens schedule I could see the Bengals finishing 9-7 losses to the following: N.E. Pittsburgh (twice) N.Y. Jets, New Orleans, Miami, Atlanta, Texans.

My point is, if the Steelers win the games within their own division, Iím think the Steelers could win games against Tampa Bay, Raiders, Bills and Panthers (three of the four at home) to finish 10-6 and that means if the can win two more games against either of the following: Falcons, Titians Dolphins, Saints, Patriots or Jets; they could be 12-4 or better for the season. :tt02::tt02::tt02:

Dean Denton
09-02-2010, 06:56 AM
greg1964, we have not met. I'm Dynamic Dean Denton and I just want to say...i like ya buddy. You are an optimist and i like that. You really put a lot of thought into what you just wrote down, and I think thats worthy of comment. I find myself agreeing with most of what you said. All of that is possible. It wont be easy, but it can be done. We have the best QB in our division, thats why it can be done, and no other division has better QB's then the AFCN. So it will be a challenge. Falco is looking better, and Palmer would have won a SB by now if he didn't play in Cincy. The Ravens are the sexy pick, and without Ben in that first game I think Pitts gets beat pretty good, but ya never know. I will look back at your chart from time to time through out the season, and I bet you come close with your what if's or could be's. Good job greg1964, I applaud the way you try and give yourself a brain aneurysm to benefit our beloved Steelers....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-02-2010, 01:06 PM
A minimum start of 2-2 is what will keep us in the mix for when Ben comes back. Anything less than that and we'll be fighting too much of an uphill battle. Winning the division is a given, it has to happen. We need to go no less than 5-1 in the division to stay in a comfortable spot for any tie breakers that might come into play when the playoffs start.

We're used to fighting our way out of holes, the Steelers inevitably find themselves in one of some sort nearly every year. We had a terrible division record last year so it all starts with that.

Goodfrom55
09-02-2010, 06:02 PM
As long as Leftwich or Dixon don't do anything to lose the games, the Steelers should be fine as long as they can run the ball, play opportunistic "D", avoid breakdowns on special teams, and STAY HEALTHY, 3-1 to me is realistic.