PDA

View Full Version : Notes: Tomlin's Preseason Game 3 presser

steelcitysfinestXL
08-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Via: Scout.com
FRIDAY, AUG. 27

5 p.m. Mike Tomlin met with the media today to talk about Sunday’s preseason game in Denver. It’s the Steelers’ third preseason game and therefore the “dress rehearsal,” as it’s known throughout the league.

Tomlin provided the following nuggets of information:

* Rookie receiver Antonio Brown will again return punts and kickoffs.

* Punter Daniel Sepulveda will handle all kickoffs.

* Matt Stewart will handle all kick snaps. Tomlin explained the move by saying (of the player re-signed after being cut July 30), “We wanted to get him back in here and give him the opportunity we intended to give him before we went to training camp.”

* Brown and fellow rookie receiver Emmanuel Sanders will switch positions, with Brown moving to split end (X) and Sanders moving to flanker (Z). “X is a catch and run position, hopefully Antonio Brown will be able to highlight some of his skill sets in that position,” Tomlin said. “In Z, which is the position Hines Ward plays, they are in a lot of combative situations in the run game with strong safeties. Emmanuel Sanders has proven to be somewhat surprisingly aggressive and physical. We want to see if that can continue. We want to see if potentially he can block a guy the caliber of Brian Dawkins, who is going to be around or on the line of scrimmage.”

* Maurkice Pouncey will make his first start at center and will be up against veteran nose guard Jamal Williams. “I intend to see a lot of Maurkice,” Tomlin said.

* The only quarterback Tomlin mentioned in the same sentence with “first-team reps” is Dennis Dixon, but didn’t mention who would start. Tomlin said Dixon has been more consistent this camp. Tomlin also mentioned the improved consistency of Tony Hills, Kraig Urbik and Keenan Lewis. Tomlin did say that the three top quarterbacks will play.

* The starters will play into the third quarter, but Tomlin warned they could remain on the field longer if their play was “below the line of performance.”

* Lewis will start at left cornerback in place of injured Bryant McFadden and Will Allen

Alot of what we already knew/speculated. I like the move between Sanders and Brown... i hate to read too much into this, but Brown may have a shot to compete for MORE playing time at the (X) and getting the ball in his hands! Sanders could also be more productive with his route running at the (Z) position. I like tis ALOT!!!

Puncey Vs. Williams is an awesome "measuring sgtick" for just how good Pouncey can fair in our division against the NTs/DT's he will face.

Hopefully Mike starts Ben for some 1st quarter action, then goes to Dixon for the 2nd QB reps with starters! I highly doubt it but it should be exciting to see Dixon get his "Sunday" Reps!

LarryNJ
08-28-2010, 01:32 PM
* The only quarterback Tomlin mentioned in the same sentence with “first-team reps” is Dennis Dixon, but didn’t mention who would start. Tomlin said Dixon has been more consistent this camp. Tomlin also mentioned the improved consistency of Tony Hills, Kraig Urbik and Keenan Lewis. Tomlin did say that the three top quarterbacks will play.

Hopefully Mike starts Ben for some 1st quarter action, then goes to Dixon for the 2nd QB reps with starters! I highly doubt it but it should be exciting to see Dixon get his "Sunday" Reps!

He said the top 3 will play so Ben will start. My guess is 2 series, DD for the 2nd quarter with the starters.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2010, 01:49 PM
This is a good idea having the starters in there into the 3rd quarter. It gives them some practice of coming back out onto the field after halftime and making sure the intensity stays on a high level. I would imagine though if they perform well, it'll only be for a series into the 3rd before they are yanked.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Via: Scout.com
FRIDAY, AUG. 27

5 p.m. Mike Tomlin met with the media today to talk about Sunday’s preseason game in Denver. It’s the Steelers’ third preseason game and therefore the “dress rehearsal,” as it’s known throughout the league.

Tomlin provided the following nuggets of information:

* Rookie receiver Antonio Brown will again return punts and kickoffs.

* Punter Daniel Sepulveda will handle all kickoffs.

* Matt Stewart will handle all kick snaps. Tomlin explained the move by saying (of the player re-signed after being cut July 30), “We wanted to get him back in here and give him the opportunity we intended to give him before we went to training camp.”

* Brown and fellow rookie receiver Emmanuel Sanders will switch positions, with Brown moving to split end (X) and Sanders moving to flanker (Z). “X is a catch and run position, hopefully Antonio Brown will be able to highlight some of his skill sets in that position,” Tomlin said. “In Z, which is the position Hines Ward plays, they are in a lot of combative situations in the run game with strong safeties. Emmanuel Sanders has proven to be somewhat surprisingly aggressive and physical. We want to see if that can continue. We want to see if potentially he can block a guy the caliber of Brian Dawkins, who is going to be around or on the line of scrimmage.”

* Maurkice Pouncey will make his first start at center and will be up against veteran nose guard Jamal Williams. “I intend to see a lot of Maurkice,” Tomlin said.

* The starters will play into the third quarter, but Tomlin warned they could remain on the field longer if their play was “below the line of performance.”

* Lewis will start at left cornerback in place of injured Bryant McFadden and Will Allen

Alot of what we already knew/speculated. I like the move between Sanders and Brown... i hate to read too much into this, but Brown may have a shot to compete for MORE playing time at the (X) and getting the ball in his hands! Sanders could also be more productive with his route running at the (Z) position. I like tis ALOT!!!

Puncey Vs. Williams is an awesome "measuring sgtick" for just how good Pouncey can fair in our division against the NTs/DT's he will face.

I also like the move of the rookie WR's moving around and learning the other WR spots......I think the best way to deal with the loss of Holmes is really using a WR rotation........But the rookies have to be up to the task and I think they are......Ward is getting older but he is still effective.....Best way to keep him fresh and letting the fresher legs have some action.......Plus Sanders route running is impressive for a rookie and will help in that regard.......

Pouncey vs Williams will be a nice test for the rookie......He better get use to it since he will be facing a ton of beast DT's this year.....In my opinion having an athletic center like Pouncey will help big time.....I thin this kid will prove to be the best center to come out in the past 20 years.....

I agree about the QB's as well.......

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-28-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm excited to see how Lewis plays at left corner

HUNT4SEVEN
08-29-2010, 12:54 AM
I think Pouncey will hold his own against Williams,Big Snack says Pouncey is fast and strong and he recovers fast even when he's beat...Lewis looked good against the Giants so I wanna see what he can do against the Broncos, I'm also excited to see our rookie receivers preform, these cats have learned 2 positions in a short period of time I'm impressed with them, they were 6th and 3rd round picks the front office did It's home work on these receivers...man I can' wait till the season starts. Goooo Steelers!