PDA

View Full Version : Dixon to get reps with first team on Sunday

SteelCityKid5
08-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Ed Bouchette's PG+:

Ed: QB Rotation Bewildering (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104565-ed-qb-rotation-bewildering)

Thursday, 26 August 2010 07:55
Written by Ed Bouchette http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/templates/pg_twn/images/emailButton.png (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3BsdXMuc2l0ZXMucG9zdC1nYXpldHRlLmNvb S9pbmRleC5waHAvc3BvcnRzLXRvd24vc3RlZWxlcnMvMTA0NTY 1LWVkLXFiLXJvdGF0aW9uLWJld2lsZGVyaW5n)

Good morning,
Mike Tomlinís quarterback rotation is baffling. It appears Ben Roethlisberger will make his second straight start Sunday night, even though he will not play in a real game until at least Oct. 27. The reason they are playing him is they believe he needs the work.
But what about Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon? Leftwich is on pace to start the season Sept. 12 and he had not played in a game since last September with Tampa Bay. Doesnít he need the work? In practice on Wednesday, Roethlisberger took all of the snaps with the first team and Dixon was up next.
Tomlin said Dixon will get some snaps with the first team in Denver. So, where does that leave Leftwich, your presumed opening-day starter? Ben said on Wednesday that he needs to build a rapport with the young receivers. But, so does Leftwich. He was here two years ago and the only receiver here with him was Hines Ward. At least Roethlisberger built up some rapport with Mike Wallace last season.
I realize that Roethlisberger, barring injuries, will play 75 percent of the season, but why use him so much now when he cannot play for nearly two more months?
It does not seem to make sense to me.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Finally I want to see what this guy can do against the 1st teamers. Not because I want him to start but because we can finally see who will give us the best chance at the QB position. I don't see anything wrong with this. Dixon earned this, so lets see what he can do. Not the best defense in the NFL but it still should make for a good test.

Iron City South
08-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Tomlin is keeping them guessing. Personally, I love this strategy.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-26-2010, 12:09 PM
They know what they are gonna get from Lefty... thats why he is here! As far as rapport w/ Wr's... hell he's been the #1 since ota's, if he doesnt have it by now we may as well let Dixon try. Lefty is consistant. He's gonna stand in the pocket and try and make plays. He's a leader with a cannon and he's gonna complete as many passes as the oline will allow him.

Dixon is the "unknown"! You dont know if he can consistanly make reads/change line protections. You do know you have a whole added dimension with Dixon's legs. I like him more and more as this preseason goes on (which is saying alot, i've been high on him since we drafted him) He's srambling to make plays... not just run! If he does that and commands this offense on Sunday i think we REALLY have a bit of a competition... but is it too little too late?

K Train
08-26-2010, 12:12 PM
dixon bring as many first downs with his legs to the table as leftwich brings 3 and outs

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2010, 12:20 PM
The writing is on the wall for Batch at this point, he's barely taking any snaps this preseason and worked very little with the first team during camp. He could be on the chopping block unless the Steelers will get a roster exemption for Ben while he's out, in which case keeping Batch around atleast until Ben comes back would work out.

Anyways, as far as rotation goes, why not keep people in the dark. It's a great way to keep Denver from keying on a particular style of play for any given group that will be defending the Steelers. IMO, if Ben plays well in the first quarter they'll yank him and then go with Lefty or Dennis with the rest of the starters for awhile.

harpo
08-26-2010, 12:25 PM
I think whomever gets the most playing time out of the two in this game will be the starter on opening day. In all honesty, I hope it's Dixon but I wouldn't be mad if Leftwich got the nod. I think we can win with either of them, as long as we run the ball and control the clock. If the coaches don't think the line can protect BL(and they can't :lol:), then Dixon is the obvious choice because of his mobility.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-26-2010, 12:30 PM
I think whomever gets the most playing out of the two in this game will be the starter on opening day. In all honesty, I hope it's Dixon but I wouldn't be mad if Leftwich got the nod. I think we can win with either of them, as long as we run the ball and control the clock. If the coaches don't think the line can protect BL(and they can't :lol:), then Dixon is the obvious choice because of his mobility.

:plus1: good post. I hope its Dixon, but im comfortable with Lefty as well. I dont see us going worse than 3-1 with either. The D is gonna carry this team til the Offense comes around!

LatrobePA
08-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Charlie Soft Batch is history...

I hope Dixon can show some skills against the ones and earn a spot to start!

K Train
08-26-2010, 02:06 PM
:plus1: good post. I hope its Dixon, but im comfortable with Lefty as well. I dont see us going worse than 3-1 with either. The D is gonna carry this team til the Offense comes around!

i dont see us doing better than 2-2 with leftwich, with 1-3 and 0-4 very real possibilities. if ben was hurt at the end of the game i would want leftwich to finish it out, spur of the moment **** is where experience comes in to play....months to prepare, practice and actually get live preseason playing time is where experience goes out the window. dixon not being names the starter is just them being stubborn

Black@Gold Forever32
08-26-2010, 05:11 PM
I wonder if the Steelers brass knows something we don't and that is why Tomlin is doing weird things with his QB rotation......What I'm getting at is maybe Goodell has notified Rooney/Tomlin that he will reduce Ben's suspension to just two games and not the 4 that we all think.....or maybe I'm just wishful thinking here....lol

Zachintosh66
08-26-2010, 05:19 PM
kewl, lets see how he does...

im pulling for him

steelcitysfinestXL
08-27-2010, 07:45 AM
i dont see us doing better than 2-2 with leftwich, with 1-3 and 0-4 very real possibilities. if ben was hurt at the end of the game i would want leftwich to finish it out, spur of the moment **** is where experience comes in to play....months to prepare, practice and actually get live preseason playing time is where experience goes out the window. dixon not being names the starter is just them being stubborn

Agreed! Im not sure why Dixon, atfer OTA's didnt get more work as a legitimate contender as a #1 QB. I think they wanted Dixon to earn what they were willing to HAND to Lefty... not a good move! i still dont think Lefty will LOSE us any games. He may not light up the scoreboard, but he can be consistant enough to keep us in games.

coldrolled
08-27-2010, 08:07 AM
In Tampa lefty was throwing those high passes that rocket off the finger tips and go floating over the safties. he threw one against the giants before the 68 yarder which saved his a$$ sunday.. thats were he will lose the games. the sacks will result in many 3 and outs were we wont score. he will not work out imo... i just keep seeing his 0-3 start from last year... it was ugly..

steelcitysfinestXL
08-27-2010, 08:45 AM
In Tampa lefty was throwing those high passes that rocket off the finger tips and go floating over the safties. he threw one against the giants before the 68 yarder which saved his a$$ sunday.. thats were he will lose the games. the sacks will result in many 3 and outs were we wont score. he will not work out imo... i just keep seeing his 0-3 start from last year... it was ugly..

Big difference playing in TB and playing here... IMO. He likes this system and knows this system. You all rag on BA, saying: "his system is designed for a pocket passer" and thats what lefty is. His success will hinge on our oline. Believe me, i wanna see Dixon start the season more than most... im just trying to face reality. Its gonna be Lefty!

I think Tomlin announcing publically Dixon has earned 1st team reps is as much of a psych-job for Lefty as it is a boost for Dixon. MT has made a habbit of only announcing things like this when he wants a player to step up. Its a way of saying on the biggest stage: "he's not performing at a level of the guy behind him". He did it late last year w/ Gay and Moore. Moore got out-played by Parker. He tried benched Gay for Deshea and he didnt fair any better. He did it last week with Hartwig. Pouncey clearly out played Hartwig at NY, now he is the starter. Last week with Scott. Flo held his own, Scott didnt, Flo is still the starter.

Now he is doing it with Lefty. I really think Ben will get 2 series and the guy who is 2nd off the bench will be the starter week 1 if he moves the ball effectively. I'll be pleasantly suprised if that 2nd qb on sunday is Dixon! I think it will be Lefty.. i think he will play into the 2nd quarter and Dixon will finish the half with most of the starters and start the 2nd half with the 2nd team. I hope im wrong.

K Train
08-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Dennis dixon coming on fast is steelers "QB Derby"

Mike Wallace knows all about the arm strength of quarterback Byron Leftwich. Just the other night, he ran under a 68-yard touchdown heave from Leftwich, a rare occasion in which Wallace, the team's fastest receiver, was not underthrown. But, when asked to rate the arm strength of the Steelers' quarterbacks, Wallace was not ready to quickly concede the title to Leftwich. "I'm going to have to give Byron the edge, but Dennis' ball is smoking," Wallace said. "He's gunning it. I'm talking about, it's coming." Give Leftwich the edge, but don't dismiss Dennis Dixon. The Steelers will play their third preseason game Sunday night in Denver, a time when the starters historically get their most playing time before the regular season begins. But, for the first time in the preseason, Dixon will get to work with the first-team offense once Roethlisberger, who might start against the Broncos, departs. Coach Mike Tomlin said Dixon has "earned" the opportunity. "He did good last year in the preseason, but Dennis is so much better," said Wallace, a second-year receiver who caught six touchdowns and had a a team-high per-catch average of 19.6 yards in 2009. "I'm looking forward to seeing him out there with the top guys. If he can continue that, I don't know ..."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10239/1083076-66.stm

at least this is promising

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Got a text from steelers.com today that Tomlin plans to play the top 3 QB's in the Denver game and that Dixon will get some reps with the first team. That tells us that Ben will not play very much, no longer than the first quarter at the most I would think. Then Dixon maybe takes over in the 2nd quarter. Leftwich will take what's left.

KSSteelerfan
08-28-2010, 01:47 AM
The writing is on the wall for Batch at this point, he's barely taking any snaps this preseason and worked very little with the first team during camp. He could be on the chopping block unless the Steelers will get a roster exemption for Ben while he's out, in which case keeping Batch around atleast until Ben comes back would work out.

Anyways, as far as rotation goes, why not keep people in the dark. It's a great way to keep Denver from keying on a particular style of play for any given group that will be defending the Steelers. IMO, if Ben plays well in the first quarter they'll yank him and then go with Lefty or Dennis with the rest of the starters for awhile.

:yellowthumb:

HUNT4SEVEN
08-29-2010, 01:59 AM
I believe that Dixon will be the starter come week one...Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin knows that there is plenty of speculation going around as to whom his starting quarterback will be when his team opens its season Sept. 12 against the Falcons. It sounds like he wants to keep that uncertain atmosphere around until opening day. "It's probably beneficial to us to hold our cards," Tomlin said Friday. "I know [Falcons head coach Mike] Smith does an awesome down in Atlanta, I've got a great deal of respect for him. I would imagine it would be increasingly difficult for him to prepare to play us if we don't provide that information for him."

Fantasy Analysis:
Right now, Byron Leftwich is expected to be the start that first game. But Dennis Dixon has been practicing with the first team this week. He will come into Sunday's preseason game immediately after Ben Roethlisberger and handle the most snaps of any quarterback on the roster. In today's age, it seems impossible that Tomlin can keep his starting QB a secret until the first Sunday that counts. Many scribes will be watching to see who takes the majority of snaps in practice that week. I still worry about what this uncertainty will do to Hines Ward, Mike Wallace and the team's other notable receivers. Leftwich, as the more experienced and polished passer, would be the best thing for their fantasy values while Big Ben serves his suspension. But expect this passing to not click for the four or six games that Roethlisberger misses...http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/nfl_news.cfm?news_id=2009