PDA

View Full Version : McFadden pectoral injury; keenan lewis could start at left corner vs Denver

jpele
08-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Keenan Lewis practiced with the first-team at left cornerback today because Bryant McFadden was sidelined with a right pectoral muscle injury.

McFadden suffered the injury in the second quarter of Saturday night's win against the New York Giants while attempting to stop Ahmad Bradshaw's 9-yard touchdown run.

McFadden said his condition is "day-to-day" and he doesn't know if he will play in Sunday night's preseason game at Denver.

Lewis, a third-round draft pick who played sparingly as a rookie last season, practiced with the first-team for the first time.

"I'm out here to practice and get better," said Lewis, who has worked as McFadden's backup. "It's big to have an opportunity to put something on tape."

Link (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_696473.html)

A lot of young players getting a look in the Denver game.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2010, 06:32 PM
If he's listed as day to day then it doesn't appear to be anything major; hopefully he's ready to go in week 1. I'm looking forward to seeing Lewis play with the first team; the 3rd preseason game is always the one where the starters play the most so he'll get some good action and a chance to stake his claim to atleast the 3rd CB spot.

jpele
08-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm hoping he has a great game, I haven't been impresses with McFadden

LatrobePA
08-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Funny how Gays name isn't even mentioned!

DanRooney
08-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Funny how Gays name isn't even mentioned!

:yellowthumb:

coldrolled
08-25-2010, 09:01 PM
We need to draft a #1 CB next year....

roosterray
08-26-2010, 02:04 AM
I'm hoping he has a great game, I haven't been impresses with McFadden

I'm with ya so far on McFaddon. I hope to see Lewis compete and earn the starting role, but we'll see. His evolution would be to prove himself in the Nickel. :cope:

Layin the wood
08-26-2010, 08:58 AM
We need to draft a #1 CB next year....

:plus1:

steelcitysfinestXL
08-26-2010, 09:37 AM
NOW WAY WE DRAFT A FIRST ROUND CB in the next FEW years... history has shown, we just dont need em! Ill take Mike Pouncey over a CB anyday. We need G, DE, NT and maybe even FS first round next season. Think back, who is the last first round CB we drafted... Chad Scott, then Dieon Figures... and 23 years ago Rod Woodson. Point is we've had GREAT defenses and 2 Championships by NOT drafting first round corners. The protoypical Lebeau 3-4 CB doesnt have to be drafted in the first round! Big/physical/strong tacklers can be had in the second and later rounds! With Ike/ B-Mac/Lewis/Gay and Burnette and or Butler... i think we ok at CB for a few seasons!

harpo
08-26-2010, 09:46 AM
NOW WAY WE DRAFT A FIRST ROUND CB in the next FEW years... history has shown, we just dont need em! Ill take Mike Pouncey over a CB anyday. We need G, DE, NT and maybe even FS first round next season. Think back, who is the last first round CB we drafted... Chad Scott, then Dieon Figures... and 23 years ago Rod Woodson. Point is we've had GREAT defenses and 2 Championships by NOT drafting first round corners. The protoypical Lebeau 3-4 CB doesnt have to be drafted in the first round! Big/physical/strong tacklers can be had in the second and later rounds! With Ike/ B-Mac/Lewis/Gay and Burnette and or Butler... i think we ok at CB for a few seasons!

Yeah, I agree. I think we either start looking at a 'can't miss' replacement for Big Snack or a FS next year in the 1st round.

K Train
08-26-2010, 09:48 AM

you know how much easier defense would be to play with a CB that can man the **** up on someone? i hated revis as a prospect, but how nice would that be right now?

ike has been slipping lately and whoevers been playing across from him hasnt been helping. the CBs we have right now can still be effective in a high pressure blitz scheme but the fact is they are average at best and ike is on the downside of his career with no guarantees we extend him.

if the steelers blow this whole season and have a shot at patrick peterson in the top 10 they HAVE to take it, especially since hes not only my #1 prospect overall because hes the best CB prospect in the last 10 years, but the tackle class this year is patheitc compared to the last few years.

guys on my first round radar are like this

top 10- Patrick peterson, Cameron Heyward, AJ green

10-20- Prince amukamara, allen bailey, marcel dareus, michael floyd, jonathan baldwin, julio jones, donta hightower

20-32- Mike pouncey, aaron williams, kris odowd

so 3 total CBs id be happy with, they wouldnt hesitate or regret taking one of those guys

i do think keenan lewis is gonna have to be a FS eventually, hes just not smooth enough to be a CB fulltime imo

harpo
08-26-2010, 11:45 AM
you know how much easier defense would be to play with a CB that can man the **** up on someone? i hated revis as a prospect, but how nice would that be right now?

ike has been slipping lately and whoevers been playing across from him hasnt been helping. the CBs we have right now can still be effective in a high pressure blitz scheme but the fact is they are average at best and ike is on the downside of his career with no guarantees we extend him.

if the steelers blow this whole season and have a shot at patrick peterson in the top 10 they HAVE to take it, especially since hes not only my #1 prospect overall because hes the best CB prospect in the last 10 years, but the tackle class this year is patheitc compared to the last few years.

10-20- Prince amukamara, allen bailey, marcel dareus, michael floyd, jonathan baldwin, julio jones, donta hightower

so 3 total CBs id be happy with, they wouldnt hesitate or regret taking one of those guys

i do think keenan lewis is gonna have to be a FS eventually, hes just not smooth enough to be a CB fulltime imo

Solid points all the way around. It would definitely make life easier with a "true" #1 corner but steelcity has a good point....we don't usually draft a corner in the first round but, if these guys are as good as advertised, then it might be time to select one.

But on the other hand, what do we do about DT? Big Snack has to eventually be replaced. Do we risk losing an opportunity to get a prospect like Jerrell Powe (6'2, 328)?

What do you think?

K Train
08-26-2010, 11:51 AM
we dont typically draft olinemen in the first either and look where thats gotten us.

powe is a bowling ball and very disruptive. better than dan williams, not as good as raji. he will probably solidify himself in the late first round this year. hes dumb as a brick though, but at least hes built like a house of bricks

id prefer getting phil taylor or kendrick ellis in the mid rounds though personally

coldrolled
08-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I agree. I think we either start looking at a 'can't miss' replacement for Big Snack or a FS next year in the 1st round.

yep... and when the best of those are taken and there is a CB we get him...

harpo
08-26-2010, 12:17 PM
we dont typically draft olinemen in the first either and look where thats gotten us.

LOL.....no argument from me. :lol:

powe is a bowling ball and very disruptive. better than dan williams, not as good as raji. he will probably solidify himself in the late first round this year. hes dumb as a brick though, but at least hes built like a house of bricks

id prefer getting phil taylor or kendrick ellis in the mid rounds though personally

I'd be satisfied with either one of the three. Since Powe is seen as the top prospect of all DT, his name was the first to come to mind.

JensK
08-26-2010, 12:30 PM

No ras-i ? I see alot of boards having him as number two.

K Train
08-26-2010, 12:34 PM
hes a FS prospect imo, and not as good as rahim moore and deunta williams imo, too stiff to play corner to me. looks like the next antrel rolle or malcolm jenkins

its peterson, prince, williams and all have top 15 potential

SteelCityKid5
08-26-2010, 12:41 PM
We're really talking the NFL draft in August haha, this is nuts.

JensK
08-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Imo, a FS would be a bigger upgrade than cb, as we could use a FS who actually can cover. Sure, we all love to see Clark destroy everyone with those amazing hits of his, but we would be better off with a ballhawk in coverage, as Troy is too inconsistent. Put a rahim moore next to Troy and watch the awesomeness unfold! Altho they wont draft a safety as they just gave Clark an extension. Then again, they did give Hartwig one, and look where thats going!

steelcitysfinestXL
08-26-2010, 01:00 PM

LOL, True Stroy!!!! I think corner is a bit different though. Pouncey was a cant miss in the first and had potential to play either C or G this season... great/easy pick. I dont know if the steelers can justify that at corner right now (unless like you said we tank or trade for a top 10 pick and there is that Eric Berry cant miss DB/CB) I think Safety is a bigger DB need anyway.

K Train
08-26-2010, 01:11 PM
looking back at my ENORMOUS man crush on earl thomas im so happy we got pouncey because of the immediate impact/upgrade hes bringing to the table.

ike-old and inconsistent

clark-old and sucks

mcfadden-inconsitent

gay-bad

lewis-unproven but looks much more like a FS than corner

burnett-small NB

butler-completely unproven NB

a #1 CB is just as big of a need as a new FS. ike would be sensational as a #2 CB, but the thing you have to look at is DBs usually take a year or two to be effective, pouncey was a luxury immediate upgrade. We need to take a CB or FS early because in 2-3 years were gonna have a HUGE hole at CB and FS even though imo we have a substantial hole at both at the moment

steelcitysfinestXL
08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
looking back at my ENORMOUS man crush on earl thomas im so happy we got pouncey because of the immediate impact/upgrade hes bringing to the table.

a #1 CB is just as big of a need as a new FS. ike would be sensational as a #2 CB, but the thing you have to look at is DBs usually take a year or two to be effective, pouncey was a luxury immediate upgrade. We need to take a CB or FS early because in 2-3 years were gonna have a HUGE hole at CB and FS even though imo we have a substantial hole at both at the moment

:plus1: I just went and looked at 1st round CB's Vs. top 100 (picks 33-100) Besides the BIG name 1st CB taken every draft (ie: C.Woodson, D.Revis, Pacman) the top-100 guys are every bit the players that the "other" 1st round picks are. I look at Joe Haden and Kyle Wilson... and im VERY happy we took Pouncey. Thomas or Berry were the 2 guys i liked better than him and they were GONE!

Blazedby92
08-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I wanted Thomas, Berry, mcclain, Cody or Pouncey but my first love is in the trenches so Pouncey was by far my favorite. So yes I believe they have to do something soon to get our secondary up to par before it gets any worse than it already is and you all know it is bad. We definitly need a FS and one that can wrap up so he can also teach Troy how to tackle too.

coldrolled
08-27-2010, 09:18 AM
any news on Crezdon Butler? is he PS bound.

or does burnett get cut.

K Train
08-27-2010, 10:26 AM
butler is most likely PS bound i would say.

it will be interesting to see lewis go from doing well on calvin johnson (imo the best receiver in the league) to jabaar gaffney lol

HUNT4SEVEN
08-29-2010, 02:45 AM
If Butler hits the PS the Rats will take him in a heart beat... i hope we keep him:crossfingers:, We need a RG like yesterday unless there is a can't miss corner in the first round i don't want us taking one, we need a NT and DT's and i wish we could get a real FB instead of trying to make one out of that bum Summers.Obviously the Steelers feel the same way i do about the FB position hopefully:crossfingers:...Chicago Bears beat writer Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune tweeted that the Steelers were one of 13 teams that had a scout present for the Saturday night game vesus the Arizona Cardinals. Biggs went on to say that 6 teams have had a scout at all 3 Bears games this preseason with the Steelers being one of those 6 teams. It is not uncommon for scouts to show up at preseason games, so it is hard to read anything into this report. One could only speculate the Steelers might have an interest in a back up running back or fullback, but that is only an assumption. Just thought I would make everyone aware. On another note the Rats can't catch a brake...

Donte' Stallworth broke his foot, according to Harbaugh. But he could return after the bye. Not a season-ender. Clayton has a concussion. I don't care what happends to them, i just don't want to hear excuses when we beat the Rats twice this year:yesnod:

coldrolled
08-29-2010, 07:21 AM
if we let burnett go or we let crezdon goto PS ... i bet the ravens would only take butler.

nuclearchihuahuas
08-29-2010, 10:27 AM
...Chicag Just thought I would make everyone aware. On another note the Rats can't catch a brake...

Donte' Stallworth broke his foot, according to Harbaugh. But he could return after the bye. Not a season-ender. Clayton has a concussion. I don't care what happends to them, i just don't want to hear excuses when we beat the Rats twice this year:yesnod:

OH, Shuckey Darns! I would bet they will say how they are NOT making excuses because of their injuries so often that the media will play up just how hurt they are...I really hate whiners...BAD RATBIRDS! :stirpot:

--- Added 8/29/2010 at 08:27 AM ---

if we let burnett go or we let crezdon goto PS ... i bet the ravens would only take butler.

totally agree! but what other options do we have?

coldrolled
08-29-2010, 02:40 PM
totally agree! but what other options do we have?

not many options other than cutting a few of the two-three year players that just are not making it. let the young players move in and start using them a bit more more during the regular season.

Callax
08-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I do not want Gay to end up the 3rd CB against T.O. he'll be punked for 15 catches+

K Train
08-29-2010, 05:48 PM
I do not want Gay to end up the 3rd CB against T.O. he'll be punked for 15 catches+

have you ever seen gay play? hes not nearly as terrible as you are making him seem....he had a down year but so did the whole defense.

and he would be going against andre caldwell or jordan shipley, not TO

BlitzburghRockCity
08-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Just got a text from the Steelers; McFadden is on track to be ready for the opener...

WHEW!!!

harpo
08-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Just got a text from the Steelers; McFadden is on track to be ready for the opener...

WHEW!!!

Glad to hear that. :yellowthumb::tt02: