View Full Version : Pouncey Promoted to Starting Center

Iron City South
08-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Good move! :tt02:

See ya Hartwig ..... we hardly knew ye!

It Appears Pouncey New Starting Center
Wednesday, 25 August 2010 4:05 pm
Written by Ed Bouchette

It appears that Maurkice Pouncey has been promoted to starting center by the Steelers this week. Pouncey ran with every first team in practice and Justin Hartwig ran with the second team.

Pouncey smiled broadly after practice about running with the first team but said no coach said anything beyond telling him to go with the ones today in practice.

Hartwig’s mood was different than Pouncey’s. I asked if he had a few minutes and he told me he had to lift weights as he was taking off his shoulder pads. I told him I only had a few questions and he looked at me and said the same thing.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104542

HUNT4SEVEN
08-25-2010, 05:47 PM
It's about time:clap::clap:, he deserves this and he earned it with his play on the field, his mistakes will be minimum and the line will better because of this move IMO:tt02:

Here's some bad news it could be a concern, i hope this is not a serious injury http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_696473.html

jpele
08-25-2010, 06:11 PM
I think most everyone knew it was going to happen, Hartwig was nothing more than a band aid. I have to applaud the coaching for seeing what everyone else saw.

LatrobePA
08-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Cool, light them up 53!

steelersbabex25
08-25-2010, 06:25 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

Big T
08-25-2010, 06:39 PM
:banana:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2010, 06:42 PM
The inevitable may becoming to fruition sooner than some of us might have thought. Pouncey has so much talent, this kid could turn out to be one of the best when it's all said and done. He's got a long tradition of Steeler Centers to follow and even though it's early you gotta love what he's doing so far. It'll be a whole new ballgame once he starts doing it against 1st team units every week when it counts, but Im looking forward to watching him.

K Train
08-25-2010, 06:44 PM
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

nuclearchihuahuas
08-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Yea! Its a start...now onto the tackles

SteelDad
08-25-2010, 09:40 PM
The Kid should be an anchor for us for a long, long time. His versatility has already made our line better. As bad as Hartwig is, if a guard or tackle goes down then we can move MP out there and use Hartwig at C. Of course this is generally a nightmare scenario, but nevertheless.....

BlackGold4vr
08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
This was a no-brainer.

Yeah, I think I'll take the cadilac escalade over the 74 ford pinto. Hmmmm. No doubt Hartwig was dreading those film sessions after games where he had to watch a real center with talent at work.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-25-2010, 10:10 PM
This was a no-brainer.

Yeah, I think I'll take the cadilac escalade over the 74 ford pinto. Hmmmm. No doubt Hartwig was dreading those film sessions after games where he had to watch a real center with talent at work.

:haha::haha::haha:

roosterray
08-26-2010, 02:00 AM
I'M SO EXCITED, I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT.

And that Lewis will get a shot at corner too. Mcfaddon seemed a bit off so far in preseason.

harpo
08-26-2010, 08:54 AM
I'M SO EXCITED, I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT.

And that Lewis will get a shot at corner too. Mcfaddon seemed a bit off so far in preseason.

Yeah, i'm interested in seeing what Lewis can do as the #2. I think he's gonna be just fine.

greg1964
08-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Pouncey is the center now and forevermore: If a guard goes down, they have Foster, Legs to fill in: but by no means do you mess with Pouncey. If a tackle goes down we have Scott, Hills or Foster or Essex if needed.

Layin the wood
08-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Thank God!! No more Hartwig dragging down DT's because they put a beat down on him every play!!

jady
08-28-2010, 08:16 AM
With rookie center Maurkice Pouncey practicing with the first unit this week, veteran Justin Hartwig is concerned about his future with the Steelers, according to The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"Absolutely," Hartwig said after Thursday's practice. "Those are the things you think about when you're starting and, all of sudden, you got another guy playing in front of you. Obviously, you think about your future. That's the nature of this business."

Hartwig, the Steelers' No. 1 center the previous two seasons, hasn't been told that Pouncey will start, but he has been through this before -- most notably when he outplayed and replaced Sean Mahan before the start of the 2008 regular season.

"I've had the upper hand in these situations and I've had the lower hand," Hartwig said. "You kind of take things in stride."

Hartwig, who signed a four-year contract extension in 2009, is scheduled to earn $2,080,000 this season.

"I don't have any control or say over anything," Hartwig said. "To my knowledge, no final decisions have been made. But I'm not worrying about things I can't control. I'm battling my butt off. I want to be a starter. I'm very capable of being a starter. That's how I prepare every day, regardless if I'm with the (first-team offense) or the (second).

"At the end of the day, I want to be a Steeler. That's my goal -- to be here and contribute however I can."
Pouncey, the No. 18 overall pick in the draft, began training camp projected as the starting right guard until Steelers coach Mike Tomlin thrust him into competition at center

nuclearchihuahuas
08-28-2010, 11:10 AM
I am glad Hartwig is "battling" but I believe the cause is lost. I think he would be a quality backup but I understand the Steelers probably won't want to pay his salary for backup duties. Best guess--I think Hartwig will be on a different team unless he agrees to a reduction in salary.:imho:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2010, 11:11 AM
They aren't going to can Hartwig for this season, he'll be around and play a support role of backup Center and probably Guard as well if they need it. Pouncey has all the tools and has shown promise, but if you can go into the season with a veteran backup at the least then you do it. It's a safe assumption that Hartwig probably won't be here after the 2010 season but for this year he's more than likely pretty safe.

coldrolled
08-28-2010, 11:31 AM
if pouncey works out nice thru game 8 and another team with playoff potential loses their center. Hartwig will be traded for a good draft pick.

Stlrs4Life
08-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Can Hartwig play Guard?

JensK
08-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Can Hartwig play Guard?

Let me put it this way, he is worse at guard than at center. He played guard his rookie year with titans and sucked at it.

Real Deal Steel
08-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Pouncey locked on to Tuck in the Giants game when Tuck was running a stunt late. He did this constantly to all the Giant defensive lineman and then I knew that he should be the starter. Also, who ever the Giants nose tackle was, he got constantly moved by Pouncy as redman followed right behind Pouncey. That was all I needed to see.

tburg68
08-29-2010, 12:35 AM
A bag of Donuts > Hartwig. Cut him.

Legursky is a good enough backup.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-29-2010, 02:22 AM
Even quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, citing the benefits of playing in the preseason, mentioned "getting used to taking reps with Pouncey" among them.

Pouncey has been dominant at center, where he started the past two seasons at Florida. Several times, he has been seen handling his block at the line of scrimmage, then moving ahead to block someone else, often a linebacker.

Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton has played against many centers over the previous nine seasons and said Pouncey has a combination of attributes many centers do not possess.

"A lot of centers you play against are either quick and weak or they're strong and not quick. He's got both. He's quick and he's really strong. He recovers real well. He does a good job staying on his feet. I think he's going to be a good player."

Pouncey is so quick, his defensive teammates say, that he can make an early mistake and recover to make the block.

"With a center, man, you can't teach that," Hampton said. "If you got that, it helps a whole lot. That's the downfall of a lot of centers, getting beat quick, because guys are so close on you. But he's so athletic, he recovers and stays on his feet. That's the other thing about him, he's hardly ever on the ground."

K Train
09-13-2010, 12:32 AM
i was really disappointed in pouncey today....

oh wait just kidding he was damn near perfect in every way and showed me exactly why i love him

Dobre Shunka
09-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Pouncey was born to be a center on the Steelers. He is the right man in the right place at exactly the right time. Fate.

steelersbabex25
09-13-2010, 07:14 AM
i was really disappointed in pouncey today....

oh wait just kidding he was damn near perfect in every way and showed me exactly why i love him

I just read the first sentence and I was ready to be like :wtf: IMO the offensive line did extremely well. If I remember correctly, the Falcons only got to Dixon 2 times? 3 times? Regardless it's a step up from last year. Hopefully this game isn't just a fluke and they continue to play well.

LatrobePA
09-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Best move Tomlin has made since being here! 53 is a stud, his blocking and hitting doesn't stop, love this kid!!