PDA

View Full Version : Redman a lock for 3rd down back

xxxsteelernation
08-25-2010, 05:21 AM
:imho: redman should be a lock for the 3rd down back, I'm not sure how many RB's we can keep on the team but as long as mendenhall can keep hold of the ball, he should be #1 and moore, is a out of the backfield threat, screen passes, option passes he's great at catching the ball not overly impressed with moores running ability. The redman should get the lock for # 3. Now I would hate to see justin vincent leave. If anything i would put him on the practice squad for the year unless we are going to keep 4 RB's on the roster. I would also like to see what S. logan can do in the backfield. He would be great on end arounds or sweeps since he can burn to the corner before the defenders can get there.

coldrolled
08-25-2010, 06:30 AM
logan and dixon working together.... might be too much speed... better go with lefty and summers.

Layin the wood
08-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Redman has nothing left to prove!! If he doesnt make this team somebody else will give him a shot.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-25-2010, 08:49 AM
:imho: redman should be a lock for the 3rd down back, I'm not sure how many RB's we can keep on the team but as long as mendenhall can keep hold of the ball, he should be #1 and moore, is a out of the backfield threat, screen passes, option passes he's great at catching the ball not overly impressed with moores running ability. The redman should get the lock for # 3. Now I would hate to see justin vincent leave. If anything i would put him on the practice squad for the year unless we are going to keep 4 RB's on the roster. I would also like to see what S. logan can do in the backfield. He would be great on end arounds or sweeps since he can burn to the corner before the defenders can get there.

Im sorry but Mendenhall and Moore are both better 3rd down options than Redman. Unless its 3rd and short. He will be our short yardage/clock killing back. Its nice cause he CAN catch (he's no MeMo or Mende though) and CAN block so if teams key on the run when he comes in the game he can be dagerous out of the back field or blitz pick up. He makes this team as a viable option as an everydown back just like MeMo. Moore had a GREAT 2008 season running and recieving. Last year he was *** but i think he can get back to his '08 form. Go back to the '08 season and watch the Baltimore (@ home) game. Moore came in after Mende went down. He was running through tackles left and right. He CAN run hard and has proven it here before.

K Train
08-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Redman has nothing left to prove!! If he doesnt make this team somebody else will give him a shot.

lmao are you ****ing kidding me? just like that a preseason hero automatically gets to see significant action on sunday?

willie reid was always a stud during preseason too

harpo
08-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Im sorry but Mendenhall and Moore are both better 3rd down options than Redman. Unless its 3rd and short. He will be our short yardage/clock killing back. Its nice cause he CAN catch (he's no MeMo or Mende though) and CAN block so if teams key on the run when he comes in the game he can be dagerous out of the back field or blitz pick up. He makes this team as a viable option as an everydown back just like MeMo. Moore had a GREAT 2008 season running and recieving. Last year he was *** but i think he can get back to his '08 form. Go back to the '08 season and watch the Baltimore (@ home) game. Moore came in after Mende went down. He was running through tackles left and right. He CAN run hard and has proven it here before.

I think he means 3rd & short.

coldrolled
08-25-2010, 09:36 AM
lmao are you ****ing kidding me? just like that a preseason hero automatically gets to see significant action on sunday?

you have to say he is a two pre-seasons hero.. :nono:

and moore, no i would rather see moore run up the middle on the goal line.. that worked out great last sunday.. another BA blunder... its not the O players, its BA that makes them not shine like they should. thats my motto. :cope:

Layin the wood
08-25-2010, 10:52 AM

Willie Reid coudnt be a stud if he was the only male left on earth!! If you think that that Mendenhall and Moore are going to score a lot of rushing TD's thats when i LMAO. I understand that it is preseason but when is it time to kick it in gear week 1? RM and MM better get it together now!!

K Train
08-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Willie Reid coudnt be a stud if he was the only male left on earth!! If you think that that Mendenhall and Moore are going to score a lot of rushing TD's thats when i LMAO. I understand that it is preseason but when is it time to kick it in gear week 1? RM and MM better get it together now!!

i am leaning towards mendenhall has more rushing TDs this season than redman has his entire career.

if being a preseason hero is all it takes to see the field sylvester stevenson would easily be our starting MLB and dixon would certainly get the nod over leftwich.

it really cracks me up how down everyone is on mendenhall because of preseason, you must have a short memory on how good he actually was last year

Layin the wood
08-25-2010, 11:45 AM
i am leaning towards mendenhall has more rushing TDs this season than redman has his entire career.

if being a preseason hero is all it takes to see the field sylvester stevenson would easily be our starting MLB and dixon would certainly get the nod over leftwich.

it really cracks me up how down everyone is on mendenhall because of preseason, you must have a short memory on how good he actually was last year

My whole point is not that Redman is going to take the place of Mendenhall but that Redman should make the team as a short yardage back. The thread started was that he should make the team as a 3rd down back. Which i totally agree with but RM will be the starting RB. If Redman does make the squad then i think you will see him in on a lot of goal line situations which takes away from RM's TD's.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Mendenhall will be fine this year, I fully expect no less than atleast 1200 yds rushing for him. As far as Redman goes, I don't know if he's a lock but I'm pretty sure he'll make the roster at this point. Mendenhall and Moore are in, that leaves 2 other spots probably of which Redman gets one and then Vincent, Dwyer, and Wright fight it out for the last one.

I like what I see from Redman this preseason, but doing it in the regular season is another thing. There's no reason to think he won't be able to handle it but you always have to wait and see.

JensK
08-25-2010, 11:58 AM
dont see them not keeping dwyer tho - they what kind of talent he is, and they have used a draft pick on him.

LatrobePA
08-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Beware of the preseason heros:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-preseason-stats-mean-nothing-training-camp-2010

K Train
08-25-2010, 12:01 PM
My whole point is not that Redman is going to take the place of Mendenhall but that Redman should make the team as a short yardage back. The thread started was that he should make the team as a 3rd down back. Which i totally agree with but RM will be the starting RB. If Redman does make the squad then i think you will see him in on a lot of goal line situations which takes away from RM's TD's.

he wont be a third down back, mendenhall is a terrific blocker and receiver hes overtaken moore in that role for the most part, moore will spell him at best.

redman MIGHT be on the final roster, and he might take 2-3 TDs away like gary russell did a few years ago but theres no reason for him to see ANY playing time if mendenhall is healthy...if he gets banged up redman might see some snaps but expectations are wayyyyyyy to high for redman again this year

K Train
08-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Beware of the preseason heros:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-preseason-stats-mean-nothing-training-camp-2010
what a terrific down to earth article

Big T
08-25-2010, 01:03 PM
this **** all over again. Mendenhall can do everything Redman can do, but better. He is absolutely in no way, shape, or form, a better 3rd down option. 3rd and short? ok maybe, but like I said, Mendenhall is a complete back and completely capable of being the short-yardage back. If Redman makes this roster, it better be in place of Frank Summers. I would definitely rather have Redman make the team than Frank Summers.

K Train
08-25-2010, 01:07 PM
id rather have a 52 man roster than have summers

coldrolled
08-25-2010, 01:20 PM

Thats how BA uses summers too.. like he is a cut. 25 plays at FB for summers and no play had the RB follow the FB's block or any other fullback. except the legursky - redman TD.

Summers never got the ball as a fullback.. maybe try it and hit the line quicker then the RB would.. you would think try it once?

Summers was 1 for 1 on the receving end.

Arians doesnt use a fullback for much... he doesnt need one, so yes they should dump all of them and keep an extra WR. its stupid watching the FB's on the field. Just use Moore on the goal line.. up the middle.. that will do it.. :lol:

Zachintosh66
08-25-2010, 01:36 PM

id rather have McHugh with a blown knee that Summers...

As far as Redman... he still hasnt played against any competition, Ill give ya that this year is he is playing against 2-3rd stringers instead of last year when he ran all around on 3-4th stringers. Like it or not the decision to keep Redman will prolly hinge on the Logan situation.

Moore is our true 3rd down back, can catch, is good in open field and can pick up a blitz decently. Mendenhall has the tools IMO to stay in the field as 3rd down back as well.

Dwyer will prolly get the nod over Redman b/c he was a draft pick... chances are we will try to PS one of them and I wouldnt be surprised if we lose whoever that person ends up being...

SteelCityKid5
08-25-2010, 03:10 PM
didnt mendenhall take over on third downs last year any way?

LatrobePA
08-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Mendy on third downs please, his blocking skills are $$$....Moore to me has lost a few steps since we brought him in, Summers is a joke, Redman is OK and the rest are PS kinda guys, yes even Dwyer!

coldrolled
08-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Mendy on third downs please, his blocking skills are $$$....Moore to me has lost a few steps since we brought him in, Summers is a joke, Redman is OK and the rest are PS kinda guys, yes even Dwyer!

Dwyer goes on PUP, like summers did the IR last year.

K Train
08-25-2010, 04:35 PM

mendenhall went for a pussy liability in blocking to a RB that has stone walled some of the best LBs in the leage and hes a great receiver out of the backfield.

moore has been getting steam rolled as a blocker and lost some quickness imo

LatrobePA
08-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Dwyer goes on PUP, like summers did the IR last year.

Betcha!

Moore looks like a child on a beach during a hurricane getting rolled up! Mendy has my vote!

Real Deal Steel
08-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Redman may be the short yardage RB.

harpo
08-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Redman may be the short yardage RB.

Yeah, I think that's going to be the case. I'm sure he'll also play some FB, too.

DanRooney
08-26-2010, 09:12 AM
I've been screaming for Redman to play fullback ala 2008 McClain since day 1. He's powerful and big at 6' 230 lbs. and he can also RUN. With him in the backfield at the same time as Mendy we'll have several options to go to and we can get rid of that POS Frank Summers.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-26-2010, 09:21 AM
I've been screaming for Redman to play fullback ala 2008 McClain since day 1. He's powerful and big at 6' 230 lbs. and he can also RUN. With him in the backfield at the same time as Mendy we'll have several options to go to and we can get rid of that POS Frank Summers.

:plus1: BUT, The part in bold... im not sure Summers doesnt make this team. I would rather take a chance on Dwyer as our 4th RB. I happy with Redman/Johnson/Legursky as situational full-backs. But Dwyer hasnt earned anything. Its one thing to have a bad camp, but reports have said he hasnt really given much of an effort either. We all know the ability is there... MAYBE they take a chance on him! My gut tells me he is in Tomlin's dog house and gets PS'ed/PUP'ed or maybe straight up cut... leaving summers to fill the 4th spot cause he is a DECENT coverage unit man too.

K Train
08-26-2010, 09:23 AM
im really discouraged by dwyer. that was a pick that excited me

i really hope david johnson makes the team personally, im ok with redman ONLY if he keeps summers off the roster

harpo
08-26-2010, 09:43 AM
:plus1: BUT, The part in bold... im not sure Summers doesnt make this team. I would rather take a chance on Dwyer as our 4th RB. I happy with Redman/Johnson/Legursky as situational full-backs. But Dwyer hasnt earned anything. Its one thing to have a bad camp, but reports have said he hasnt really given much of an effort either. We all know the ability is there... MAYBE they take a chance on him! My gut tells me he is in Tomlin's dog house and gets PS'ed/PUP'ed or maybe straight up cut... leaving summers to fill the 4th spot cause he is a DECENT coverage unit man too.

Yeah, I said the same thing about Summers and Dwyer. I think they're going to PUP him and give him a chance next year. If they gave Sweed about 40 chances, there's no indication that they won't do the same for Dwyer. :greengrin:

Real Deal Steel
08-27-2010, 12:31 AM
I saw an article someplace saying Dwyer could be cut all together. Dwyer got hurt and didn't have a chance to compete. Coupled with Redman just having a lights out camp. But I don't want Dwyer cut. We've seen all to often how our RB depth has hurt us in the past.

K Train
08-27-2010, 09:10 AM
id be upset about dwyer getting cut....hes not a cedric humes or noah herron, hes got wayyyyyy more promise as a pro RB

steelcitysfinestXL
08-27-2010, 09:30 AM
id be upset about dwyer getting cut....hes not a cedric humes or noah herron, hes got wayyyyyy more promise as a pro RB

:plus1: They have "handed" worse players roster spots over the last few years! Esp. Cowher! The kid completely F'ed up this TC... he looked like he was a lock after OTA's too! I pray they dont cut him, but i'll understand why if they do! His own fault!

K Train
08-27-2010, 10:27 AM
its disheartening because i thought he could be a steal of the draft....like the kind of player than in 3 years leaves to be a starter somewhere for big money.

should have drafted greg hardy lol

coldrolled
08-27-2010, 10:57 AM
its disheartening because i thought he could be a steal of the draft....like the kind of player than in 3 years leaves to be a starter somewhere for big money.

should have drafted greg hardy lol

Dwyer will be PUP, IR or on the roster.

He is hurt, he has done zero to show anything either way... they will keep him for sure.

JensK
08-27-2010, 12:50 PM
They have kept Sweed this far, so why not Dwyer?

LatrobePA
08-27-2010, 01:05 PM
They have kept Sweed this far, so why not Dwyer?

What he said, but I agree Dwyer screwed up and may very well find himself outside looking in!

Real Deal Steel
08-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Look, I know he got hurt but Dwyer potential is awsome. I think he has potential to be the starter one day if need be. You don't cut a guy like that.

Put him on IR and let Redman and Moore work behind Mendy but don't cut Dwyer.

BlackGold4vr
08-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Look, I know he got hurt but Dwyer potential is awsome. I think he has potential to be the starter one day if need be. You don't cut a guy like that.

Put him on IR and let Redman and Moore work behind Mendy but don't cut Dwyer.

You have to cut players to put them on the practice squad. Dwyer has done nothing to raise his value in Steeler TC. I think he will easily make it to our practice squad without being snagged by anybody else.

xxxsteelernation
08-28-2010, 07:20 PM
I see a lot of request for redman at FB, there's only one problem with that bruce arian's need to know what a fullback is before he can name someone a FB. But as much as we dog on Arians (me mostly), he does have a super bowl under his belt. Which i still feel the defense won except for the last drive of the super bowl. When ben started calling the plays. Arians has the inability to change with the situation. IMO an OC should have made a playbook that suits every single one of his QB's back ups and all. Then when the time is needed (speccialy in pittsburgh) the back ups don't have to adjust to an offense that is not suited for him. I belive as a team you conform to the QB and not the QB conform to the team.

coldrolled
08-28-2010, 10:19 PM
I see a lot of request for redman at FB, there's only one problem with that bruce arian's need to know what a fullback is before he can name someone a FB. But as much as we dog on Arians (me mostly), he does have a super bowl under his belt. Which i still feel the defense won except for the last drive of the super bowl. When ben started calling the plays. Arians has the inability to change with the situation. IMO an OC should have made a playbook that suits every single one of his QB's back ups and all. Then when the time is needed (speccialy in pittsburgh) the back ups don't have to adjust to an offense that is not suited for him. I belive as a team you conform to the QB and not the QB conform to the team.

No Contract Extension Yet :banana:...

HUNT4SEVEN
09-01-2010, 11:26 PM
this **** all over again. Mendenhall can do everything Redman can do, but better. He is absolutely in no way, shape, or form, a better 3rd down option. 3rd and short? ok maybe, but like I said, Mendenhall is a complete back and completely capable of being the short-yardage back. If Redman makes this roster, it better be in place of Frank Summers. I would definitely rather have Redman make the team than Frank Summers.

I agree...

LatrobePA
09-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Frank the sewer tank is here to stay....

Dobre Shunka
09-02-2010, 12:41 AM
I'm all for cheering for Redman, but I have yet to see him make a single yard against credible competition. Don't get me wrong, like him he's all heart, but can he gain a yard against a 1st string offense in a real game in the NFL, and do it on a consistent basis? He's slow, I mean painfully slow. As I've stated before, think Ray Lewis on some of those preseason runs of his.

I hate to be the pessimist here, but every preseason we go through this worship of someone who is not NFL caliber. So, I'm the bad guy for fearing that in truth Redman may just be a bum, a bum with a lot of heart, yes, but a bum nonetheless.

Ignite the flames!

Dean Denton
09-02-2010, 06:33 AM
I think he means 3rd & short. I agree with this because we dont have a short yardage HB and the guy has looked good the last two years. I dont see what we have to lose by using him on short yardage. The Moore & Mendy combo we already know does not get it done. I say give Redman a shot. I like him and thats all that matters.