PDA

View Full Version : What does Dixon have to do?

xxxsteelernation
08-24-2010, 03:39 PM
I was reading the espn AFC north blog today and several memebers of steeler nation want dixon to start the first 4 to 6 games. (me included..lol as we all know by now)
But the steelers have only let dixon play against 2nd and 3rd stringers and dixon looked remarkable for the amout of time given. (remember the 4th quarter of the giants game they just ran the ball to work the clock so it did not give dennis the actual opprotunites to make plays). So my question is with what dixon has done so far what does dixon have to to to get a quarter or two with the 1st team in? He has already shown that he can create play's and produce. and even with limited play calling in the ravens game last year he was still productive. And you just can't say interceptions or consistent accuracy is the basis for the decison. Look at super ben he is accuate when he has to be but the other part of the time he is either high or short or behind recivers or what not. A lot of recievers have to come back for bens passes but i will give it to ben when he needs to make a throw he gets it in there. (which makes me wonder why he can't do it all the time). Every QB is going be off sometimes. Dixon has made great strides on his accuracy
and they have not really let dixon let loose with a bomb this season so that is arians fault not dixons. I know dixon can throw deep i've seen it personally when he was at oregon. And i know pro's passing windows are tighter than college. But still just becuase the window's are tighter does not make the arm that less powerful.

K Train
08-24-2010, 03:48 PM
nothing, its a fixed QB competition because of the incompetence of the coaching staff to put their foot down on bruce arians inability to adjust to a different skillset.

its retarded, but theres no way dixon is the starter and i really think leftwich is gonna struggle

LatrobePA
08-24-2010, 05:38 PM
He could always suck Tomlin off??? Seems to be working for Brucey!

HUNT4SEVEN
08-24-2010, 06:50 PM
nothing, its a fixed QB competition because of the incompetence of the coaching staff to put their foot down on bruce arians inability to adjust to a different skillset.

its retarded, but theres no way dixon is the starter and i really think leftwich is gonna struggle

:clap::clap: Well said and i agree 100%:tt02:

steelersbabex25
08-24-2010, 07:32 PM
IMO Dixon did what he had to do already. If he doesn't start it's because the coaches aren't smart enough to realize that experience shouldn't be the ONLY factor you consider in choosing your starting quarterback.

jpele
08-24-2010, 07:53 PM
The only way Dixon starts is if Art II opens his mouth and I don't see that happening. Tomlin proved he's a follower not a leader.

SteelerEyeZ
08-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Maybe we should put a letter together and everyone on SA sign it and then send it to Rooney lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2010, 08:01 PM
I think Dennis needs to have pics of Tomlin or Art II having sex with a monkey to be the starting QB for this team.....No really the coaches are smart enough but coaches are so damn stubborn and that is the problem......To many coaches over-rate experience and that is why Byron is the starting QB due to experience.....I don't agree with it either and Dixon has been pretty damn good this pre-season.....With our OL we need a mobile QB and Dixon is more then just mobile he is a true threat to run........

One point to make though Byron doesn't have the same pull as Ben....If he struggles against the Falcons in the opener then I'm willing to bet Dixon becomes the starter against the Titans in week2.......

jpele
08-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Dixon may get his chance by halftime of week two. I don't know how the pass rush of the Falcons is, but Lefty will take a beating against the Titans

Or maybe our oline will showup to play.:thinking:

LarryNJ
08-24-2010, 08:50 PM
DD probably won't start week one, but I'm liking our depth at QB.

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Maybe we should put a letter together and everyone on SA sign it and then send it to Rooney lol

signed

coldrolled
08-25-2010, 05:44 AM
hopefully lefty starts this week in denver. that may end this crap this week.

arizona starters looked bad against the titans, dont tell me leinart is not as good as lefty.

and lefty willl never beat the titans.

Layin the wood
08-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Im not overly concerned about BL starting past week 1 of the season!! He will struggle against the Falcons and be replaced by DD and he will be the starter the other 3 games BB is out.:imho:

ejsteeler
08-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I think what he has to do is not be in such a defensively dominant division. They are afraid to give him the experience fearing the whole would be to deep to dig out of. Stupid thing is, as we all know and have said, he has to get the experience somewhere......

coldrolled
08-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Dixon has to goto another team and Philly i think would love him.. McNabb is gone
and it would be like having Randall come back.. Philly would let him play his game and let him grow into the pocket as he gets more time on the field.

We have Leftwich and Batch.. Trade Dixon.. We need another 5' 10" WR.

jpele
08-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Mike Tomlin on some of his plans for the game in Denver on Sunday night: "I intend to give Dennis (Dixon) some looks with the first group against some good people. I think he's earned that. That's what this preseason is about."

Maybe a light came on .

Real Deal Steel
08-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Here's the scoop:

This is Dixon's last year under contract. If they let Dixon start, he will show the whole NFL how good he is and there will be no way we can resign him next season. So, they are doing everything they can to not showcase him.

Don't get me wrong, if they didn't think they had another viable option in Leftwhich then Dixon would have no choice but to start. But since Leftwhich is here, they are going to do everything they can so Dixon can't really show his stuff.

Leftwhich is going to start.

coldrolled
08-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Here's the scoop:

This is Dixon's last year under contract. If they let Dixon start, he will show the whole NFL how good he is and there will be no way we can resign him next season. So, they are doing everything they can to not showcase him.

Don't get me wrong, if they didn't think they had another viable option in Leftwhich then Dixon would have no choice but to start. But since Leftwhich is here, they are going to do everything they can so Dixon can't really show his stuff.

maybe, i say build him up, pay him what hes worth, and trade him for an extra high #2or low #1 someone will need him. we have Ben.. we dont really need him. We do need a
CB, DT, SS, a Tall WR.

92_is_gonna_kill_you
08-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Here's the scoop:

So basically, the Steelers are willing to go 1-3 or 0-4 with Leftwich just so that the rest of the league doesn't see just how good Dixon is. Yeah... Maybe its time to give up on CSI or Law & Order for a few weeks. I don't think there's any conspiracy theory keeping Dixon from being the starter. :P

From what I've heard (and I got this from Stan & Guy podcast a few days ago) Dixon doesn't know the playbook as well as Leftwich, and he doesn't have command of the huddle (ie - the vets don't believe in him as much as Byron).

IMO - and it might not be popular - but if there's 90 seconds left, the Steelers are down by 4 and they have to drive 50+ yards down field, I think I'd rather have Leftwich.

K Train
08-26-2010, 08:56 AM
So basically, the Steelers are willing to go 1-3 or 0-4 with Leftwich just so that the rest of the league doesn't see just how good Dixon is. Yeah... Maybe its time to give up on CSI or Law & Order for a few weeks. I don't think there's any conspiracy theory keeping Dixon from being the starter. :P

From what I've heard (and I got this from Stan & Guy podcast a few days ago) Dixon doesn't know the playbook as well as Leftwich, and he doesn't have command of the huddle (ie - the vets don't believe in him as much as Byron).

IMO - and it might not be popular - but if there's 90 seconds left, the Steelers are down by 4 and they have to drive 50+ yards down field, I think I'd rather have Leftwich.

if the steelers are down with 90 seconds to go and have to score somehow i think im gonna blame byron regardless

coldrolled
08-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Listen to what dixon says he has to do.....

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Dennis-Dixon---Preseason---August-25th/aa5d7dd4-9a5f-4c8c-9079-c55ae6f55129

First Downs anyway he can. Sounds like a plan.

--- Added 8/26/2010 at 09:09 AM ---

if the steelers are down with 90 seconds to go and have to score somehow i think im gonna blame byron regardless

Heres what Lefty has to do..

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Dennis-Dixon---Preseason---August-25th/aa5d7dd4-9a5f-4c8c-9079-c55ae6f55129#?id=c91da43c-2af9-47f3-bcc3-101ccc33fd4c

He needs to make plays.

Iron City South
08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Lefty will work primarily between the 20's and Dixon will be primarily the red zone guy.

I'm ok with this.

mwittman5
08-27-2010, 12:23 PM
cant go wrong with either, both are good backups. however, dixon has more potential and can bring more explosiveness to the offense. He can also run when the pocket breaks down where leftwich is a sitting duck

LatrobePA
08-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Lefty will work primarily between the 20's and Dixon will be primarily the red zone guy.

I'm ok with this.

Unless we can't make it to the other 20. But yes sounds like a decent plan...

coldrolled
08-27-2010, 01:54 PM
BA on video from today... Tomlin is choosing the QB.. Arians said twice its Tomlins pick. Sounded like the tape was modified as Arians says Coa..ch.... then the sentence changes... he may have had a bad quote in that sentence.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Bruce-Arians---Preseason---August-26th/002d907d-b007-4220-b0d1-010b7066322a