PDA

View Full Version : Bens performance.

SteelerSteve
08-23-2010, 07:36 PM
So I just caught Ben's highlights in the Giants game on youtube and was wondering how everyone else thought he did...My take is that overall he looked pretty good, I didn't think he looked TOO rusty, at least for his first appearance of the season and his arm for the most part looked to be pretty accurate and he looked like he had plenty of zing on most of his balls....Now, he did underthrow the ball on the int a by a little bit, but do you think that is because of lack of arm strength? I dont really think so and heres why: Is it possible that since Ben tends to buy alot of time in the back field that the reciever is probably already quite a ways down field when he throws it? Tell me if I'm wrong because I dont really know...but it seems like a possibility.

K Train
08-23-2010, 07:44 PM
he was a beast without showing much effort. i honestly wouldnt be surprised if the steelers won every game after hes back just cause hes pissed off, i think he'll step in and move the offense like a well oiled machine.

i dont really care to see him play much in the preseason, he doesnt really need the reps...the two guys in the fixed battle for the starting QB spot need it

steelersbabex25
08-23-2010, 07:48 PM
He played well with the exception of that int. He looked a little rusty at some points but you can't really blame him for that.

SteelerSteve
08-23-2010, 07:52 PM
he was a beast without showing much effort. i honestly wouldnt be surprised if the steelers won every game after hes back just cause hes pissed off, i think he'll step in and move the offense like a well oiled machine.

i dont really care to see him play much in the preseason, he doesnt really need the reps...the two guys in the fixed battle for the starting QB spot need it Two very good points...Looks like he hasn't missed a beat. As long as leftwich or dixon do a nice job keeping his seat warm I think he'll step in and start takin names and kickin *** right away.

K Train
08-23-2010, 07:54 PM
notice how i said fixed battle....cause imo theres nothing dixon can do to get the nod to start no matter how great he plays

SteelerSteve
08-23-2010, 08:03 PM
notice how i said fixed battle....cause imo theres nothing dixon can do to get the nod to start no matter how great he plays lol Yeah, I noticed...I guess I was just factoring the possible execution of leftwich's slow ***.

jpele
08-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Now, he did underthrow the ball on the int a by a little bit, but do you think that is because of lack of arm strength? I dont really think so and heres why: Is it possible that since Ben tends to buy alot of time in the back field that the reciever is probably already quite a ways down field when he throws it? Tell me if I'm wrong because I dont really know...but it seems like a possibility.

In an interview Ben said the ball slipped as it left his hand. Me, I don't think he makes that throw on the run, to get that deep he would have to set and plant his leg.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Tomlin isn't sold on Dixon no matter how much he says the competition may still be open. At this point Leftwich could totally tank in preseason and would still get the job. Tomlin wants experience in the huddle while Ben isn't there. Dixon is showing great strides but lets face it he's playing against 2nd string at best. I like his potential, and frankly Tomlin should give him reps against the opposition's first team atleast once this preseason to see what he does.

Ben did just fine, nobody cares about preseason anyways.

LatrobePA
08-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Ben will be fine, the int wasn't a big deal, pretty much a punt...I agree w/ Train, he'll be out to kill the world!

igor0190
08-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Lefwich will get the start and get pulled for dixon in the first regular season game. Mark my words!

jnes1216
08-24-2010, 02:24 AM
Ben doesn't worry me in the least. The o-line worries me.

coldrolled
08-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Lefwich will get the start and get pulled for dixon in the first regular season game. Mark my words!

by half time. leftwich will have 3 points... maybe.

saturday his high throw skipping off the finger tips could have been an INT. The 68 yarder wouldnt have happened then. and other than that one play. i dont see any magic.

like steelers south monday night - linehart was out and anderson in and he looked like warner. they should actually have skelton start he is the next Big Ben.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-24-2010, 08:25 AM

i dont really care to see him play much in the preseason, he doesnt really need the reps...the two guys in the fixed battle for the starting QB spot need it

In an interview Ben said the ball slipped as it left his hand. Me, I don't think he makes that throw on the run, to get that deep he would have to set and plant his leg.

Two great posts. I agree w/ K... Ben made that look effortless, he looks like he's in PLAYOFF form! I feel bad for the Brownies on that first week back. Im happy wit Ben at this point. Give him some first team reps at practice and maybe one series in the next game. Let Dixon and Lefty battle this out!

I also agree with the "fixed battle" statement too. Why else would we NEVER see Dixon w/ the first team? Cause if he goes out there on National TV and Lights it Up with the guys who play on Sundays... MT will have to answer alot of questions when he still starts Lefty week 1!

good point Jpele: Ben has the arm strength... but i REALLY believe he doesnt know how to throw a deep ball. Sounds bad and im not knocking Ben at all, i just dont think he knows how to do it right. His timing is terrible, he throws with out setting his feet, he hangs them all way too high and waits entirely too long to let it go, even when he has time! He did the same thing with Nate. With Wallace, he separates when the ball is in the air so just lead him to a spot and i bet Ben can chuck it as far as he can and never over throw Wallace and be more successful. Ben has a VERY live arm and throws 25 yard ROPES... he needs to incorporate more of that into his deep ball throws.

ejsteeler
08-24-2010, 01:45 PM
So I just caught Ben's highlights in the Giants game on youtube and was wondering how everyone else thought he did...My take is that overall he looked pretty good, I didn't think he looked TOO rusty, at least for his first appearance of the season and his arm for the most part looked to be pretty accurate and he looked like he had plenty of zing on most of his balls....Now, he did underthrow the ball on the int a by a little bit, but do you think that is because of lack of arm strength? I dont really think so and heres why: Is it possible that since Ben tends to buy alot of time in the back field that the reciever is probably already quite a ways down field when he throws it? Tell me if I'm wrong because I dont really know...but it seems like a possibility.

The INT was because he could not get set to throw and did it on the run. That was a hell of a throw in that condition, even if it did get picked. The line ever lets him get set consistantly, he and Wallace could be freaking dangerous. He has the arm.

roosterray
08-24-2010, 03:01 PM

I like it. We'll see this weekend how they really plan to do it. Dixon should come in for at least 5 plays with the first unit as a special package. Why not when we have a 2nd and 1 at the 40 or so as a Kordell role? Take advantage of this guys skills already. We need to bring him in and change the look because we need to give shitwich more time.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-24-2010, 07:49 PM
If Ben had Byrons arm strength he would be the baddest QB in the game today, the rust that he displayed was to be expected because he's not getting the normal reps he would have been getting if he was going to be the starter come week one,He did look game ready to me though, and he is in the best shape of his career i bet, if we put the right Center and right RG in we will be ok...

K Train
08-24-2010, 07:54 PM
yeh but ben is an elite athlete with a quick release, unbelievable balance and strength and a delicious touch.....leftwich has a cannon but has cement blocks for feet, an AWFUL wind up that he dips the ball down below his waist, no touch since he only throws missiles

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2010, 08:53 PM
I have the opinion of Ben being a beast as well when he comes off suspension......He is extra motivated this year and I'm sure Ben wants to give a big **** you to all the haters/Roger Goodell........I think we will see Ben even run a bit more this year since he is in the best shape of his life.........Ben has always escaped pressure but the last few years he didn't look to be in the same shape he was earlier in his career.......

Trust me I'm not saying Ben is going to turn into a scrambling QB by any means......But more like Ben was in 04/05 but with added experience of being a better pocket passer.......Ben will never be a traditional pocket passer but nobody can argue the growth in Ben's game in being a pocket passer.....Ben is the ultimate play-maker at QB.............

steelcitysfinestXL
08-25-2010, 08:41 AM
I have the opinion of Ben being a beast as well when he comes off suspension......He is extra motivated this year and I'm sure Ben wants to give a big **** you to all the haters/Roger Goodell........I think we will see Ben even run a bit more this year since he is in the best shape of his life.........Ben has always escaped pressure but the last few years he didn't look to be in the same shape he was earlier in his career.......

Trust me I'm not saying Ben is going to turn into a scrambling QB by any means......But more like Ben was in 04/05 but with added experience of being a better pocket passer.......Ben will never be a traditional pocket passer but nobody can argue the growth in Ben's game in being a pocket passer.....Ben is the ultimate play-maker at QB.............

:plus1: Talking to people WHO hate the Steelers there are a few consistancies: Polamalu is a beast, Harrison is good and Ben is over-rated... thats the concensus amoung steeler haters i talk to. So IMO, Ben has had haters since day one. I think this year is about proving he can be EVEN BETTER than he has in the past. If Ben had Peyton Mannings "work-ethic" he would be the best QB in football hand down. I think the past year has taught him that football is a privelage and at this level its about alot more than showing up on Sundays. I think his conditioning and the great camp he has had is evidence that he has put football at the fore front of his life.

Right now i think he's firmly in the top 5 and i'd personally take him or Brees over anybody because i have been a huge fan of both since college. They are both winners who were over shadowed in college and proved to be the best in their draft classes as pros. I look for Ben to have a CAREER season and be and even better QB/leader/team-mate than he was before!

Layin the wood
08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
BB is by far the best QB of that 2004 draft and all the other teams that passed on him are still kicking themselves to this day. All of the so called haters out there will be the ones who come january will be wearing their Steelers gear and saying how great the team is and how great BB looks. Dont trash BB when things go wrong and love him when he wins!! Stay Loyal!!!