PDA

View Full Version : Overall thoughts on Giants game

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Dixon looking sharp tonight in a big way, leading 2 scoring drives and going 7-8 for 82 yards. He took a broken play and made a nice gainer on the ground as well. He's definitely putting up the solid numbers and is showing he's got the potential to be a solid contributor for this team. I want to see him do it though against more veteran players though, hopefully he gets that chance next week to play in the first half.

Leftwich hooks up with Wallace for the long TD and showed a lot of poise in the pocket.

Will Batch get any snaps this preseason at all other than the handful from last week?

Rookie WR's Sanders and Brown both made some great plays tonight and should have no trouble making solid contributions for this team in 2010.

The running game was an emphasis tonight with all the backs getting some significant snaps. 3rd and short is still an issue for this team, I think we only converted 2 3rd and shorts tonight, the last one being enough to salt the game away in the 4th quarter.

The backup secondary was hitting hard and making some plays, much more so than the starters tonight.

Ben was 6-8 tonight, looking like vintage Ben buying time when needed and making some nice plays. There were some boos when he came on the field, but we were on the road so it's to be expected. He did have the INT, which was underthrown and hung up way too long so it was an easy pick for the Giants.

Run defense was pretty decent in the 1st half, came alittle unraveled at times in the 2nd half. The pass defense in the first half overall with the backups was solid, the second half was spotty but they hung in there.

SteelerEyeZ
08-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Dixon or Leftwich....the more they play the harder it is to pick one over the other....Its great to have this problem but in my eyes I think Dixon played better today. You can see he did stay in the pocket longer and was looking down his reads...

Frank the Tank made some GREAT BLOCKS

Pouncey Played well again....kid is gonna be around for a LONG TIME

My favorite of the day...REDZONE REDMAN

igor0190
08-21-2010, 10:20 PM
-Dixon looked VERY good...
-Leftwich looked better than he did last game.
-A. Brown did a good job returning. Some nice straight ahead yards that could have easily been more.
-Redman's TD run was a BEAUTY!!

steelersbabex25
08-21-2010, 10:25 PM
...Arians still sucks.

Troyisabeast_43
08-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Dixon definitely has a chance to be the starter for the Steelers opening day if he continues to play the way he has. This wide receiving core is very good and the more you see both Sanders and Brown the less you start to miss Santanio Holmes. Any chance that they can do more fullback sets with Redman and Mendenhall??

xxxsteelernation
08-21-2010, 10:41 PM
I thought lefty had some a couple good play's, Ben looked rusty as expected. Dixon was lights out against second stringers. I would love to see dixon run first team next game. See how he does against 1st team defenses. I know that he can do it but it just proves to the skeptics that he should be running first team till ben returns. Redman did not look overly impressive as he did last week. Vincent has some good runs, Kickoff returns looked promising. 2nd team OL looked dominate. Defense over pursues too much. Missed tackles, Wallace is a burner and I will give lefty credit on that touchdown pass that looked nice but a lot of his throws were high.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Over all i'm pleased with the Defense and depth on Defense, We need a RG and RT man i hate to say this but I'm missing me some Colon right now, Ben needs Byrons arm strength, Dixon looks much better each week so far, our running backs look real good, special teams is ok... atleast they haven't given up a return for a TD yet.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2010, 02:56 AM
The offensive line, starter wise, is still in flux and it just takes time to learn to play together. I suspect we won't see a steady solid group for atleast a month into the regular season as they go through growing pains of playing together as a regular unit, but it'll come. If they stay healthy and Pouncey can handle the pressure along with Flozell or Scott atleast not getting Ben killed we should start to see a solid group.

LatrobePA
08-22-2010, 09:59 AM
...Arians still sucks.

LOL, yes he does! But the QB's made him look better than he is tonight IMO.

Dixon is very smooth has a great drop and release, he'll be a starting QB in this league one day...

roosterray
08-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Defense over pursues too much. Missed tackles,.

I noticed this on the run alot tonight. McFadden lost his containment and allowed the touchdown, and on 2 or 3 runs early we didn't protect against the cutback very well. I'm sure knowing that Manning wasn't in there and they had Romar, the Defense didn't play with what looked like not alot of intensity. More of a play our schemes type of week.

nuclearchihuahuas
08-22-2010, 10:36 AM
The offensive line, starter wise, is still in flux and it just takes time to learn to play together. I suspect we won't see a steady solid group for atleast a month into the regular season as they go through growing pains of playing together as a regular unit, but it'll come. If they stay healthy and Pouncey can handle the pressure along with Flozell or Scott atleast not getting Ben killed we should start to see a solid group.

I think Flo is a bust so far. Wouldn't we be better off if Starks played RT and Hills played LT? There were LB rushes right up our OL middles that gave me pause for concern...I believe they went between Pouncey and Keomoatu...overall though, I thought the line played much better this week against a much better defense. So I have hope!:crossfingers:

Troyisabeast_43
08-22-2010, 10:49 AM
LOL, yes he does! But the QB's made him look better than he is tonight IMO.

Dixon is very smooth has a great drop and release, he'll be a starting QB in this league one day...

Yea at this point it should be between September 12 and October 3rd...Dixon has outplayed Leftwich so far bottom line and he deserves to start if this keeps up...

LatrobePA
08-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Yea at this point it should be between September 12 and October 3rd...Dixon has outplayed Leftwich so far bottom line and he deserves to start if this keeps up...

Agreed...

Layin the wood
08-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Arians play calling is horrible!! No imagination in the redzone and to predictable. I still say that Roethlisberger makes him look good when he is able to scramble and make plays!!

K Train
08-23-2010, 09:41 AM
pouncey is too talented for me to even watch without getting a boner

jnes1216
08-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Arians play calling is horrible!! No imagination in the redzone and to predictable. I still say that Roethlisberger makes him look good when he is able to scramble and make plays!!

I agree the red zone play calling is bad. Same as last year. I just don't think BA can call an effective game plan emphasizing the run. This gets amplified in the red zone.
Leftwich's attempt to sneak it in from the one was GROSS.
Sylvester had a nice imitation of Forrest Whitaker from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" with his qb sack.
I still didn't see much from Ziggy Hood. I know the d-line doesn't get the tackles like our lb's, but I didn't see him get any qb pressures. I could be wrong, as I didn't really concentrate on him.

K Train
08-23-2010, 10:02 AM
hood is proving to be a training camp one on one drill hero. hes not gonna get flashy numbers at the position he plays, but you can still tell hes not really effective much when hes in

coldrolled
08-23-2010, 11:52 AM

He has no extension. he is slated for removal. cant they just have someone else call plays for the 2010 season? maybe Batch can call a better game.

andyg1984
08-23-2010, 12:19 PM
pouncey is too talented for me to even watch without getting a boner

seriously .. have you seen him getting downfield ? the man is blocking safeties .. he is sooo smooth ..

over/under .. by 2020 Pouncey will have been to 5 pro-bowls (or at least invited)

jpele
08-23-2010, 12:23 PM
I know it's only the second pre-season game,but like the players I'm trying to get in mid season form so here goes:

Arians still sucks big time, Tomlin sucks for not firing him. If Art II had any balls Arians would get his walking papers today.

Frank Summers, Flozell Adams, William Gay should be cut NOW. Kemo isn't far behind them.

I guess all the praise Hood was getting in camp was because he was playing against our line,he has a long way to go.

This one might get me hung, I'm a little tired of watching Troy P. launch himself hoping to knock the ball carrier down, it may look good in the highlights but you have to wrap your man up.

On the bright side:

E. Sanders, A. Brown look like more like veterans than rookies. S.Sylvester is a keeper he's always around the ball.

A. Smith is a beast,but then most everyone knows that.

Leftwich or Dixon a nice problem to have. Unless our line improves significantly you have to go with Dixon, Lefty will get killed behind this line.

Speaking of the line Pouncey needs to be our starting center,perhaps they can trade Hartwig for a ham sandwich

K Train
08-23-2010, 12:40 PM
I know it's only the second pre-season game,but like the players I'm trying to get in mid season form so here goes:

Arians still sucks big time, Tomlin sucks for not firing him. If Art II had any balls Arians would get his walking papers today.

Frank Summers, Flozell Adams, William Gay should be cut NOW. Kemo isn't far behind them.

I guess all the praise Hood was getting in camp was because he was playing against our line,he has a long way to go.

This one might get me hung, I'm a little tired of watching Troy P. launch himself hoping to knock the ball carrier down, it may look good in the highlights but you have to wrap your man up.

On the bright side:

E. Sanders, A. Brown look like more like veterans than rookies. S.Sylvester is a keeper he's always around the ball.

A. Smith is a beast,but then most everyone knows that.

Leftwich or Dixon a nice problem to have. Unless our line improves significantly you have to go with Dixon, Lefty will get killed behind this line.

Speaking of the line Pouncey needs to be our starting center,perhaps they can trade Hartwig for a ham sandwich

yeah sucks you cant talk about the guy with the hair without being burned at the stake....but troy has whiffed on tackles like that since day one, hes a missile, not a form tackler.

i think pouncey could start at C and RG for us at the same time, maybe his twin was just an illusion at florida