PDA

View Full Version : Bucs' last-play FG first to break up shutout in 73 years

AZ_Steeler
12-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Just a little bit of history to share with ya'll! Plus, at least we now know why Gruden went for the FG :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2687445&campaign=rsssrch&source=pittsburgh+steelers)

PITTSBURGH -- At least the Tampa Bay Buccaneers came away
from Pittsburgh with a little sliver of NFL history.

According to research by the Steelers, Matt Bryant's 27-yard
field goal that concluded Pittsburgh's 20-3 victory Sunday was the
first such game-ending kick to break up an NFL shutout in 73 years.

The Steelers franchise also was involved in the previous such
game.

During Pittsburgh's first NFL season in 1933, Pirates kicker
Christian "Mose" Kelsch kicked a 21-yard field goal on the final
play to secure a 3-3 tie with the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field.
The Steelers were known as the Pirates until 1940.

Bucs coach Jon Gruden said he kicked the meaningless field goal
so rookie quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, who grew up in Pittsburgh,
would come away with something positive from his first NFL game
there.

shimmysteelerfan
12-05-2006, 07:05 PM
BOO!!!!BOO!!!! i think he did it to be an *******!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Gruden is tough coach, but Ive never had any problems with him. I can see his point because Gradkowski was playing for the first time in his home town so he didn't want him to leave being shutout. He did drive down the field in the last minute to get in FG range, but at the same time 3 pts vs 0 isnt that big of a difference.

Inside, the Steelers know they basically pitched a shutout, and had they not went to sleep in the last minute they actually would have.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Sorry I still feel it was a gutless and classless move by Gruden as the article points out you never see teams kick last second field goals just to try to avoid a shut out. At least when it happened 73 years ago it was done to tie the game at 3-3. But at 20-0 Gruden should have went for the TD to avoid the shut out.

AZ_Steeler
12-05-2006, 07:58 PM
That's a good point BGF because Gradkowski didn't really have anything to do with the 3 points because he didn't kick the FG! I don't know that I would feel good knowing that I got my team in FG range in the final minute when my team was already down 20 :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 08:23 PM
He did drive them down in the last minute to put them in FG range though. I can see why Gruden did it. Im not saying I agree with it, or like it, because I wanted the shut out as much as anybody.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2006, 08:54 PM
He did drive them down in the last minute to put them in FG range though. I can see why Gruden did it. Im not saying I agree with it, or like it, because I wanted the shut out as much as anybody.

Top Gun I just hope we run the score up on a Gruden led team next time we play him.lol:tt02:

PITT23
12-05-2006, 09:49 PM
The same Gruden who's going to replace Cowher? :lol:

Not likely but it was mentioned on ESPN Radio :dunno:

House of Steel
12-05-2006, 09:51 PM
ESPN THINKS THEY KNOW IT ALL!!! they are nothing but Pats Butt Kissing Lovers and Brady Gay Lovers.

PITT23
12-05-2006, 09:54 PM
ESPN THINKS THEY KNOW IT ALL!!! they are nothing but Pats Butt Kissing Lovers and Brady Gay Lovers.

Thats very very true.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Top Gun I just hope we run the score up on a Gruden led team next time we play him.lol:tt02:

Hey I wanted us to run the score up on them big time :bigthumb: At this point I'll take running up the score on anybody.

Steelersfan
12-06-2006, 12:46 AM
I thought the whole thing was stupid. Not because it was the Steelers either. When you are down 20 with 4 seconds left you go for the TD. You don't kick the FG. Not one player from TB is going to take anything away from them doing that except maybe feel a little ashamed that your coach would do that.
We were down against the Ravens and could have kicked a FG a couple of times but didn't.
But at the same time we did play the "prevent a shutout" D at the end.