PDA

View Full Version : Not completely set on Flozell at RT; Scott in the mix...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2010, 01:33 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10232/1081299-66.stm

Adams, Scott to rotate at tackle
Friday, August 20, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/freed_steelers080910_5_160.jpg
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
Ben Roethlisberger during drills.

It was not surprising when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed he would play quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in Saturday night's second preseason game against the New York Giants, even though he declined to divulge how long and when he would use his two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback.
After all, Roethlisberger acknowledged as much earlier in the week, and confirmed it again Thursday morning after the final official practice of training camp at Saint Vincent College.
Nor was it surprising when Tomlin said center Justin Hartwig would start against the Giants, but rookie No. 1 Maurkice Pouncey would rotate with him on the first-team offensive line. The Steelers did that last week against the Detroit Lions, and Pouncey was sensational.
http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/logo-steelers_52.gif Next

Game: Steelers at New York Giants, New Meadowlands Stadium.
When: 7 p.m. Saturday.
TV: KDKA.

But it was something of a surprise when Tomlin said Flozell Adams would start at right tackle, but that he planned to rotate him with Jonathan Scott with the first-team offense -- an indication the Steelers may not have settled on Adams as the replacement for injured Willie Colon.
"Everybody with a helmet on is in the mix," Tomlin said when asked if Scott, who started eight games last season for the Buffalo Bills, is battling Adams for that position. "We just want to see Jonathan Scott."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10232/1081299-66.stm#ixzz0xDBtfbsX

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2010, 01:34 AM
Considering our woes on the OL for the last several years, it's a good idea to keep every option open before making a decision. Flozell isn't exactly a spring chicken either so getting Scott some reps with the first team during preseason is a good idea as well. I still it's Adams' job to lose, but if Scott is impressive then it could get interesting.

BlackGold4vr
08-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Considering our woes on the OL for the last several years, it's a good idea to keep every option open before making a decision. Flozell isn't exactly a spring chicken either so getting Scott some reps with the first team during preseason is a good idea as well. I still it's Adams' job to lose, but if Scott is impressive then it could get interesting.

I admit that I don't remember seeing anything special from Jonathon Scott in the Detroit game. I was however very impressed from what I saw out of Tony Hills! I had been wondering if Hills was a pick that would ever pan out and I was impressed by what I saw. Will closely watch the O-line play tomorrow night and make more notes. I was also impressed with Pounceys play and think it would be criminal to start Hartwig over Pouncey. Pouncey has talent, Hartwig clearly does not. The decision looks fairly easy to me.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2010, 02:05 AM
Ive been waiting for Hills to start making some strides as well. His first year was pretty much of a wash out because he was still getting over the knee injury but I would love to see him step up and make the competition more interesting.

I'll be watching the OL and DB's tomorrow night especially.

roosterray
08-21-2010, 09:00 AM
I admit that I don't remember seeing anything special from Jonathon Scott in the Detroit game. I was however very impressed from what I saw out of Tony Hills! I had been wondering if Hills was a pick that would ever pan out and I was impressed by what I saw. Will closely watch the O-line play tomorrow night and make more notes. I was also impressed with Pounceys play and think it would be criminal to start Hartwig over Pouncey. Pouncey has talent, Hartwig clearly does not. The decision looks fairly easy to me.

I agree about both Scott and Pouncey. I need to see more from Hills against better competition. The only thing keeping Pouncey out of the starting job will be making the line calls. He has all the tools physically.:cope:

nuclearchihuahuas
08-21-2010, 10:47 AM

I just hope someone is impressive at this position--don't care if its Scott or Flo. We need someone to step up or all of our QBs will get killed :duh:

LatrobePA
08-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I bet Floz won't make this team at final cut...Unless back up roll.

92_is_gonna_kill_you
08-21-2010, 11:55 AM
I just hope someone is impressive at this position--don't care if its Scott or Flo. We need someone to step up or all of our QBs will get killed :duh:

I think Dixon or Ben would be okay, they're mobile enough to run out of the pocket. But Leftwich is going to get his head ripped off, especially if Flozelle doesn't do his job.

I just wish that the Steelers had picked up Shawn Andrews before the Giants did. He's young, he's had a lot of time to rehab his back, and because he hasn't played much since '08, he hasn't taken the beating of being an NFL Offensive Lineman in awhile. :imho:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-21-2010, 12:18 PM
I think people are being to hard on Flo....I agree he looked really lazy when he just let Avril run right past him.....But it was one play in a pre-season game.....Some vets like Flo just don't turn it up during pre-season game......I think its a good idea for Tomlin to keep the pressure on Flo.........

HUNT4SEVEN
08-21-2010, 11:13 PM
I don't know about yaw but i am sure missing Colon right about now...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Flozell made some nice blocks but also whiffed on a couple too; as did Starks. Overall most of the pressure seemed to come from the outside rather than up the middle.

Hills looked decent most of the time at LT, that was nice to see.

xxxsteelernation
08-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Floz seem kinda slow getting up out of his stance and getting back to block on the outside rush. There was a play in the giants game, i'm not sure if it was a sack or just pressure but i noticed that when floz got out of his stance and started strafing backwards and the rusher had already turned he corner by the time floz even got up out of his stance. His run blocking ability is tremendous though he can take and NG and LB by himself. I saw a couple plays were he popped a giants saftey and just flattend him

K Train
08-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Flozell made some nice blocks but also whiffed on a couple too; as did Starks. Overall most of the pressure seemed to come from the outside rather than up the middle.

Hills looked decent most of the time at LT, that was nice to see.
pressure should never be blown up the middle...thats encouraging

Dobre Shunka
08-24-2010, 02:17 AM
Nothing like a spastic colon to get the FLO going.

Right now, hotel looks like he has an open door policy. He's too big for the edge and he never could pass protect. Question is, as bad as it is, is he our best option at this point?

Don't blame them for wanting to take a harder look @ Scott.

andyg1984
08-24-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't know about yaw but i am sure missing Colon right about now...

don't get me wrong i like colon, but he is seriously overrated imo .. for the money colon wants we get better value from somewhere else on the team, FA or draft