PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown gets opportunity to return kicks

harpo
08-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Rookie wide receiver Antonio Brown gets another opportunity to impress the Steelers coaching staff Saturday night in an exhibition against the New York Giants.

This time, as a kick returner.

A week ago, Brown caught three passes for 84 yards, including a 68-yard touchdown, in a 23-7 win against Detroit. This time, the coaching staff wants to see what Brown can do returning kickoffs and punts.

For the rest of the story:

Brown gets chance to return (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_695670.html)

BlitzburghRockCity
08-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Brown is going to make his mark on this team as a returner as well as a WR. It's a pretty safe bet at this point that he'll make the roster, but if he can be successful in the return game it can only help cement his spot and be a bigger contributor. Logan reminds me a lot of when Randle El returned punts for us; he's very quick and elusive but he also gets tackled right away a good amount of the time. I'd love to see Brown step up and light a fire in our return game.

nuclearchihuahuas
08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
I am excited to watch this guy! I want to believe he is as fast and as good as I think he is... my only concern from last week was that Detroit's pass defense pretty much stinks up the league, so I don't think they were a fair assessment. I am looking forward to this game!:greengrin:

DanRooney
08-20-2010, 07:55 PM
It's a shame that Wallace, Sanders and Brown are probably not going to see the field at the same time because guys like Randle El and Arnaz Battle are in the way. I think even Hines should step down to situational receiver to let these faster guys create mismatches :2cents:

darnik44
08-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I considered Brown a top 100 talent in this past draft. I expect big things from him.

Sportsguy9695
08-20-2010, 08:35 PM
I think this is a good thing. if it does work out keep him there. and if it doesnt move him back to where he was

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Brown had some nice returns tonight, but he tripped and fell down a couple times; what is it with Steeler returners all tripping :bonk:

Logan had a real nice return negated by a holding penalty.

Both of these guys have good quickness and explosiveness, the last 2 games should be fun to watch them battle it out.

steelersbabex25
08-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Brown had some nice returns tonight, but he tripped and fell down a couple times; what is it with Steeler returners all tripping :bonk:

I thought the same thing. If the kid could stay on his feet he'd do alright.

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Looks like Logan is becoming expendable... Brown did all right tonight,he seemed adequate as far as returning goes and with Logan being a one trick pony the writing seems to be on the wall ...

SteelersWoman
08-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Looks like Logan is becoming expendable... Brown did all right tonight,he seemed adequate as far as returning goes and with Logan being a one trick pony the writing seems to be on the wall ...

But if Brown gets hurt, and Logan's gone, who do we have to step in and do anything CLOSE to what those two can do? If Brown goes down, we have no depth to speak of.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Sanders can return kicks as well.....So Logan could be in serious trouble of making the team.....But even though I'm really high on Brown and I think he should make the team on his receiving ability alone but I didn't see enough of him as a return man tonight to cut Logan...

steelersbabex25
08-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Yeah I think Sanders or Wallace could also do some returning.

LatrobePA
08-22-2010, 09:45 AM
IMO Brown looked bad, ran stiff legged and got tripped up on every carry...

roosterray
08-22-2010, 10:33 AM
But if Brown gets hurt, and Logan's gone, who do we have to step in and do anything CLOSE to what those two can do? If Brown goes down, we have no depth to speak of.

We'll see Sanders next week and this would be the 3rd option and we'll likely have El and/or Battle available. They can do it, but those 2 are not as fast as the other 3.

Troyisabeast_43
08-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Overall this receiving core as a whole looks very impressive...Ill be shocked at this point if Brown doesnt make the roster he almost has too at this point...Logan I believe is on his way out because he is too one-dimensional and cant do anything else but returns kicks.

Callax
08-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Logan might get traded for a low pick to someone... I think the WR core is A LOT Better than last years!!!
hines plus wallace, plus 2 quick guys that are doing well FOR ROOKIES....

K Train
08-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Sanders can return kicks as well.....So Logan could be in serious trouble of making the team.....But even though I'm really high on Brown and I think he should make the team on his receiving ability alone but I didn't see enough of him as a return man tonight to cut Logan...

burnett was an amazing KR in college, finished top 10 in both punts and kickoffs...shame he went wille reid on us as a pro returner

LarryNJ
08-22-2010, 07:37 PM
I agree that Logan is on his way out. It's really nice to see multiple guys with speed, I can't think of a time we had this many guys who could fly.

jpele
08-22-2010, 09:57 PM
--- The coaches believe Antonio Brown is not smart enough to grasp the routes he has to run as a wide receiver. Iím told his roster spot is in jeopardy because of it. Look, Steelers coaches once explained that Johnny Unitas wasnít smart enough either before they released him. Brown is on my team, if for nothing else right now than as a return man. Letís hope the coaches come around to that way of thinking. Brown showed a good burst right off the ball on his returns and made good decisions where to run. Stefan Logan, for all his speed and quickness, has neither of those two attributes.

Link (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104455-ed-leftwich-has-strongest-arm)

I find this quote disturbing,but then consider who our coaches are and you can understand.

steelersbabex25
08-22-2010, 10:16 PM
I obviously realize that I'm in the minority when I say this..but although some say Logan is expendable, if it's possible to keep him I definitely would. Watch, we're gonna get rid of him and start having Brown/Sanders returning kicks and we're going to have a repeat of a Santonio Holmes first year type thing. Mark my words.

DanRooney
08-23-2010, 05:48 AM
I obviously realize that I'm in the minority when I say this..but although some say Logan is expendable, if it's possible to keep him I definitely would. Watch, we're gonna get rid of him and start having Brown/Sanders returning kicks and we're going to have a repeat of a Santonio Holmes first year type thing. Mark my words.

It will be one of the worst FO decisions in a while if we cut Logan. The man is a fantastic proven returner.

Iron City South
08-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Brown may get cut. The knock on him is that he may not be smart enough to learn the system. We're deep at WR and both Battle and ARE have experience on their side. Manny Sanders wins the "new guy" award and has a spot too. The Steelers may try to hide Brown in hopes he clears waivers and then they'll put him on the PS.

K Train
08-23-2010, 08:14 AM
i dont know i think they really like brown.

if both el and battle make the roster ill be so ****ing pissed

steelcitysfinestXL
08-23-2010, 08:24 AM
burnett was an amazing KR in college, finished top 10 in both punts and kickoffs...shame he went wille reid on us as a pro returner

EXACTLY, alot of the reason he was drafted last season when we didnt have a return man yet. He flashed that when he INSTANTLY hit top speed after that INT. I'd be perfectly ok cutting Stefan Logan even though i like him.

--- Added 8/23/2010 at 07:24 AM ---

It will be one of the worst FO decisions in a while if we cut Logan. The man is a fantastic proven returner.

You said the key word... proven! He proved it last season that he is an assest. But this team is DEEP with young/multi-positional talent... i hate to say it but Logan is looking more expendable every week because he offers very little outside of returning kicks.

LatrobePA
08-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Logan is limited, that alone will be the reason he doesn't make this team. I thought Brown look scared on his returns but that may get better with each touch.

WindyCityShaker
08-23-2010, 10:50 AM
First I don't think anyone wants to see Logan get cut he's a great returner and if there is any way to make it work I think he'd be worth having on our team.

If it were my choice I have to keep Brown on this squad I mean he's a rookie, he's a 6th round draft pick, he's supposed to be tentative, he's going to make mistakes too but the old axiom still applies, you can't coach speed. Moreover he's got that swagger and confidence that makes me believe he'll get "it".

I can't risk trying to sneak him on the practice squad, there's talent there and it's noticeable to anyone who watches him. That being said he needs to do everything he can, extra practice, extra time watching film, running routes in his sleep. If the coaches feel he is exhibiting the best work ethic he can to rectify things then no way can he not make the team. :2cents:

DanRooney
08-23-2010, 11:17 AM
First I don't think anyone wants to see Logan get cut he's a great returner and if there is any way to make it work I think he'd be worth having on our team.

If it were my choice I have to keep Brown on this squad I mean he's a rookie, he's a 6th round draft pick, he's supposed to be tentative, he's going to make mistakes too but the old axiom still applies, you can't coach speed. Moreover he's got that swagger and confidence that makes me believe he'll get "it".

I can't risk trying to sneak him on the practice squad, there's talent there and it's noticeable to anyone who watches him. That being said he needs to do everything he can, extra practice, extra time watching film, running routes in his sleep. If the coaches feel he is exhibiting the best work ethic he can to rectify things then no way can he not make the team. :2cents:

Keep Sanders, Brown and Logan. Cut Randle El or Battle and Hartwig or Legursky.

Zachintosh66
08-23-2010, 11:44 AM
IMO if a guy who can also play another position is comparable at returns... you keep him over the one trick pony. However I do like Logan, but im betting the FO keeps 6 WRs, which doesnt bode well for him...

K Train
08-23-2010, 11:48 AM
logan is actually a much better fit for center than justin hartwig so you never know

LarryNJ
08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
logan is actually a much better fit for center than justin hartwig so you never know
:lol::lol:

Iron City South
08-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Keep Sanders, Brown and Logan. Cut Randle El or Battle and Hartwig or Legursky.

Battle may be the odd man out, by sheer numbers. ARE is a solid character locker-room guy that the coaches love.

Legursky isn't going anywhere. He played well the other night and is a versatile player who can step in at Center or Guard. The coaches now actually have a "Bronco" package where he is the pulling FB that serves as "The Hammer". I love it! :helmet:

Hartwig may very well get cut. In fact, that's looking pretty good right now. The coaches are warming up fast to the notion of Pouncey starting at Center. They won't pay Hartwig $2.2M to sit on the bench.

K Train
08-23-2010, 01:20 PM
battle>el

its not even close, and battle sucks and he still dominates that competition

harpo
08-23-2010, 02:25 PM
battle>el

So....that 17 yd (3rd & 15) catch he made (Randel-El) didn't impress you? :greengrin:

WindyCityShaker
08-23-2010, 05:16 PM
battle>el

:plus1:

I'm right on board with this. I like ARE as a person and he's a local favorite from Chicago so I've always liked him. Even though he has twice the total yards receiving as Battle does (he always had better QB's than Battle ever got to work with in lowly SF), but I believe Battle is actually a more skilled receiver. ARE has more return TD's (5) but those were in his younger years, return yardage is comparable.

If it means keeping Sylvester AND Brown who have impressed so far, I'd be in favor of cutting both of them, It's not like either one will be here anyway next year. We still would have 3 solid receiving options (Ward, Wallace, Miller, and I've got to believe that Sanders can step up. Of course should anyone get injured we're screwed, but common sense tells me either ARE or Battle would be available should that happen.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-23-2010, 05:21 PM
So....that 17 yd (3rd & 15) catch he made (Randel-El) didn't impress you? :greengrin:

lol, NO... the throw impressed me!:nahnah:

harpo
08-24-2010, 08:21 AM
lol, NO... the throw impressed me!:nahnah:

LMAO.....:lol:

coldrolled
08-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Battle is > the ARE plus we need some height in the WR corp.. Battle is somewhat taller than most of them.

igor0190
08-24-2010, 09:42 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol: