PDA

View Full Version : 3 LB's Fighting For Last Spot

BlackGold4vr
08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
According to an article in the Post Gazette, 7 of the 8 LB positions are already locked up. Harrison, Farrior, Woodley, Timmons, Foote, Worilds, and Keyaron Fox.

The last position is being fought over between 3 players

Gibson, Sylvester, and Bailey

Who do you think gets it? I'm going with Gibson

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10231/1081085-66.stm

***I realize that Worilds hasn't exactly impressed anybody in TC but the Steelers are not going to release or try to sneak a 2nd round pick onto the practice squad.

JensK
08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Not even a discussion - it'll be Gibson. Its a shame if Sylvestor don't make the team tho. I really liked what i saw from him in game 1, and from what im hearing, he has had a pretty good TC.

K Train
08-19-2010, 12:45 PM
not even a contest, ill punch a baby in the ****ing head if they let gibson go on to be a star OLB somewhere else.

i think sylvester will make it too btw...especially if they cut logan

BlackGold4vr
08-19-2010, 01:05 PM
not even a contest, ill punch a baby in the ****ing head if they let gibson go on to be a star OLB somewhere else.

i think sylvester will make it too btw...especially if they cut logan

You think they will carry an extra LB?

They may try to slide Sylvester onto the practice squad.

K Train
08-19-2010, 01:12 PM
9 LBs isnt unheard of for a 34.

i actually hate that foote is on the roster, and farrior might be the weakest link out of all of them but no way they would have the balls to cut him and move timmons to mack and let fox/foote play buck.

second round pick or not worilds has struggled and got hurt, you have to show something to justify being kept over gibson who should certainly is higher up on the depth chart at this point.

i like sylvester, but i love gibson...it shouldnt be a contest

coldrolled
08-19-2010, 01:24 PM
9 linebackers it will be... tomlin said it once in the last few weeks that 9 is not a problem. sylvester will be stolen if he is on the PS.

Logan is in trouble if Brown or Sanders catch and return nicely, we have Moore for backup.

Big T
08-19-2010, 01:39 PM
They'll both make it. And after Bailey is cut, Pouncey will take #55...

JollyRob68
08-19-2010, 02:21 PM
They'll both make it. And after Bailey is cut, Pouncey will take #55...

I agree with you but Bailey is good on special teams. Theirs no way they dont keep Gibson & Sylvester.

--- Added 8/19/2010 at 01:21 PM ---

Logan is in trouble if Brown or Sanders catch and return nicely, we have Moore for backup.[/QUOTE]

They should trade Logan for another OLineman.
I was suprised that Tony Hills played well. Bye bye Urbik hello Practice squad.

coldrolled
08-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Dwyer is no longer battling for a spot on the 53 man roster, but is now in jeopardy of not even being healthy enough to make the practice squad. If Dwyer can not get back healthy in the next couple of weeks, the Steelers might place him on the reserve PUP list or even on injured reserve. Both of those situations are extreme, but all players on the practice squad need to be able to contribute. When asked about Dwyer on Thursday, Tomlin said, "The reality is that he’s not on the field so he’s not helping himself."

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I think they will keep 9 LB's as well.......Sylvester, Gibson, Worilds all will contribute on the kick coverage units........I like Sylvester and he was all over the field against the Lions........Bailey doesn't have a prayer to make the team.......

andyg1984
08-19-2010, 05:06 PM
imo gibson is probably the 4th most desirable LB to have on the roster .. no way in heck we lose him .. wonder where the FO has farrior/foote on their list ..

steelcitysfinestXL
08-19-2010, 05:18 PM
I agree they keep 9 and thats the right move. Gibson wont be cut he's a perfect fit and has been productive... in 2 years he's a starter hopefully opposite Woodley (not sure where that leaves Mr. Worilds) Harrison may be on the decline by then at 34. Maybe he can play on the inside for a few seasons at Buck. Fox is a Buck starter in a back up role... great roster guy. Sly is a player and has proven that... he wont last long on the PS so they better sign him. Farrior has to prove last season was a fluke and rebound this season... i think he will. Plus he can be spelled by Timmons and Foote can fill at the buck! I love this years potential LB corp!

jnes1216
08-19-2010, 05:50 PM
I think Gibson definitely gets the nod over the other two. If A. Brown returns kicks well then its a much easier decision to keep the extra LBer for special teams, because they'll prob. cut Logan.
I know Sylvester had a lot of tackles on defense but I didn't keep track on how he did on spec. teams which will be the deciding factor for trying to put him on the practice squad vs. active roster.
Is Bailey able to be put on practice squad as 3rd year player? Not sure if thats a contract issue or not (similar to hockey two way deals).
I think they'll try to put Sylvester on practice squad and keep Bailey unless he continues to tackle everything the next 3 preseason games.

Dobre Shunka
08-19-2010, 06:48 PM
They keep 9. Gibson's in, Sly's in.

At this point I wouldn't risk losing either Dwyer or Sly on the PS. Think they can still put em there and if there is a risk of someone stealing them they can make room on the roster at that point. They can make it work.

Think were going to see Brown and others on return Saturday. Logan is on the deflating bubble.

Our LB core is solid.

Jakey
08-19-2010, 07:52 PM
The starters should be...

Harrison - Fox - Timmons - Woodley

The backups shoud be...

Worilds - Foote - Farrior/Sly - Gibson

The starters will be...

Harrison - Timmons - Farrior - Woodley

The backups will be...

Worilds - Foote - Fox/Sly - Gibson

Not too much difference, but Timmons is still in the wrong position (should be Mack), and Farrior is still getting outplayed by Keyaron Fox (and probably Larry Foote).

If either of Sly or Gibson get cut for Patrick Bailey, i will find a baby and throw it in a wood chipper. :cope:

coldrolled
08-19-2010, 07:59 PM
They keep 9. Gibson's in, Sly's in.

At this point I wouldn't risk losing either Dwyer or Sly on the PS. Think they can still put em there and if there is a risk of someone stealing them they can make room on the roster at that point. They can make it work.

Think were going to see Brown and others on return Saturday. Logan is on the deflating bubble.

Our LB core is solid.

the mystical injury puts dwyer on the PUP or IR.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Keeping an extra linebacker is always ideal when you can pull it off, running a 34 defense. LB's are the heart and soul of a 34 so assuming Gibson makes it, Sylvester has a good shot as well.

JensK
08-20-2010, 04:28 AM

The backups shoud be...

The starters will be...

The backups will be...

Not too much difference, but Timmons is still in the wrong position (should be Mack), and Farrior is still getting outplayed by Keyaron Fox (and probably Larry Foote).

If either of Sly or Gibson get cut for Patrick Bailey, i will find a baby and throw it in a wood chipper. :cope:

this...

darnik44
08-20-2010, 06:36 AM
I think Fox and Bailey both make the team for special teams purposes. Fox is a pretty good LB too, I would be really surprised if he didn't make the team. He likely will be Farrior's replacement next year.

JensK
08-20-2010, 07:05 AM
I think Fox and Bailey both make the team for special teams purposes. Fox is a pretty good LB too, I would be really surprised if he didn't make the team. He likely will be Farrior's replacement next year.

Bailey can't play LB for his life. When you draft two LB who most likely is pretty good at ST too, you have to go with them, instead of going with Bailey imo. He is just not good enough to justify not bringing in Gibson and Sylvestor.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-20-2010, 07:43 AM
The best replacement for Farrior is Timmons. The Mack has more coverage resposibilities and Timmons is EXCELLENT in coverage. He a perfect MACK backer. In the event Farrior plays like he did last year i think we will see Timmons slide to the MACK and Foote / Fox rotate at the BUCK. Foote isnt a MACK lb for coverage reasons. He's a BUCK because he's best playing coming foward and he's good in traffic. Fox is the same way but he's a bit better in coverage. Farrior put in a TON of work this offseason to correct the things he did last season. Until last year he was a VERY good Mack linebacker. He and/or Foote always led us in tackles. Having 4 starter capable guys at ILB is a great thing. As long as Farrior regains form thats the scenerio.

K Train
08-20-2010, 08:16 AM

The backups shoud be...

The starters will be...

The backups will be...

well look who it is lol

yeah timmons should be the mack, why hes not at this point is a mystery hes clearly our best option there..

bailey is a good ST, but so was chidi iwuoma, anthony madison and breet keisel....all of whom were replaced...bailey is expendable, especially because im pretty sure slyvester could be a ST phenom as well and gibson with his blazing speed should also make an impact, you cant block someone running that fast whos that big and strong

UKSTEELER
08-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Gibson is Woodley's hair apparent, if the Wood starts as slow as he did last season, don't be surprised to see Gibson given the vacant role next season.

Sly should be kept, he's a keeper, I only like two of our Inside Backers as it is, now is no time to be ditching young, hungry, fast, explosive talent! :helmet:

steelcitysfinestXL
08-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Gibson is Woodley's hair apparent, if the Wood starts as slow as he did last season, don't be surprised to see Gibson given the vacant role next season.
Sly should be kept, he's a keeper, I only like two of our Inside Backers as it is, now is no time to be ditching young, hungry, fast, explosive talent! :helmet:

I dont see, in any way, shape or form, how thats gonna happen. Woodley gets a deal at the end of the season or gets franchised. If someone wants to give up 2 first round draft picks and pay him the Terrell Suggs money he so deserves (unlikely) then Gibson can fill that vacancy. I really dont see that happening though. Even if they cant get a deal done with Woodley he wont hit the market. He'll be tagged immediately.

They are gonna have to find a way to get all these talented OLBs minutes. "WE" all think Harrison can play inside but in reality it may never happen. So Worilds (who i think could be a Peezy clone) and Thad (who is gonna be a nightmare) are gonna have to shine on ST's and make the most of their limited snaps on D. Its a good problem to have for sure!

harpo
08-20-2010, 06:07 PM
I dont see, in any way, shape or form, how thats gonna happen. Woodley gets a deal at the end of the season or gets franchised. If someone wants to give up 2 first round draft picks and pay him the Terrell Suggs money he so deserves (unlikely) then Gibson can fill that vacancy. I really dont see that happening though. Even if they cant get a deal done with Woodley he wont hit the market. He'll be tagged immediately.

They are gonna have to find a way to get all these talented OLBs minutes. "WE" all think Harrison can play inside but in reality it may never happen. So Worilds (who i think could be a Peezy clone) and Thad (who is gonna be a nightmare) are gonna have to shine on ST's and make the most of their limited snaps on D. Its a good problem to have for sure!

This... :yellowthumb::plus1::tt02:

Dobre Shunka
08-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Yea, Woodleys going no where. They would rather lose their 1st born than lose him so get that out of the equation. A nice shiny new tag is ready to be unwrapped if needed, make their day!

Now, onto the rest which as someone stated earlier we do have a "good" problem if there ever was one. For me Sly showed me enough in that detroit game alone to warrant a STs spot. In fact, the kid looked good period. Keeper. Gibson's a beast and an eventual replacement. Worilds hasn't seen the light of day (pun intended), but is a QB seeking missile and if he can get/stay healthy, well I think the board will be talking about him soon. He stays but more important, along with the rest you don't risk losing.

Timmons is a Mack period. Foote/Farrior are on the down side, still very capable, but time to phase out slowly, which looks to be exactly what they're doing with all this young blood.

So, although Bailey is a great on STs his LB skills are severly lacking and he'll be the odd man out. Expendable.