PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith Steelers MVP?

xxxsteelernation
08-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I know we have ben and troy and ward. they would usually be on the front lines for a steeler MVP. But after finally finishing watching all of last years games. One thing I saw that we lacked was pressure on the QB. Yea we had harrison and woodley rushing and being held while they were doing it, And deisel getting in there sometimes. but I noticed no rush from aaron's side. and also noticed that running plays were starting to attack that side alot. With out pressure QB's don't panic and make stupid decisions. once smith went down the Picks pretty much stopped coming. Even when troy came back late in the season the turnovers was not there. So IMO smith has got to be at least in the running for team MVP.

K Train
08-18-2010, 01:17 PM
we dont miss a beat without ward. the MVP is clearly ben, but on defense it would be smith. the dline is in shambles without him, hes the perfect LDE

steelcitysfinestXL
08-18-2010, 01:20 PM
we dont miss a beat without ward. the MVP is clearly ben, but on defense it would be smith. the dline is in shambles without him, hes the perfect LDE

:plus1: We're gonna see how much we miss Ben soon enough! I think we can be successful "short term" but he is our offense! I would put Smith and Troy in a tied for the other MVP. Smith is a model of consistancy, we lose alot when he isnt healthy!

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I would put Aaron smith as our second most valuable player because without Troy.....:banging:

K Train
08-18-2010, 01:41 PM
troy makes the splash plays that smith doesnt but hes about half as consistent. smith is a master of the position, simply perfect he doesnt **** up. troy ****s up all the time

TampaSteelGirl
08-18-2010, 03:04 PM
IMO....I don't think so..he's been off a year, needs to get those feet wet again. I'm thinking Woodley for obvious reasons but that's my opinion.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-18-2010, 04:32 PM
troy makes the splash plays that smith doesnt but hes about half as consistent. smith is a master of the position, simply perfect he doesnt **** up. troy ****s up all the time

True statement K, but i think having Troy back there makes EVERYONE play better... alot of players have admitted that. Clark, Taylor, Farrior and more have all said that they found themselves out of posistion trying to compinsate for not having Troy. Clark esp. and that showed alot. We were still a pretty good defense against the run last year. And we were second in the league in sacks. All that with out Aaron Smith is pretty good. We ALL know what happened to our secondary w/out Troy.

Alot of that is because we had 3 guys to replace Smith that were all decent players... we had Ty Carter to try and replace Troy... not so much!

scott0326
08-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I personally think Troy is the teams most valuable player on defense, I know both Troy and Smith missed most of last season, but the secondary was terrible without Troy it seemed. Offensively, I agree Ben is MVP.

Lunchbucket
08-18-2010, 06:01 PM
you raise an intresting question,and it's good to see Aaron get some respect from Steeler Addicts.(the best fans in the world).His absence was a real blow to the defense.IMHO the most under rated DE in the league.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-18-2010, 08:34 PM
When Troy is is teams can't go deep on us and be successful all the time, When Smith is in teams can't run against us and be successful all the time either, so i agree with SCFXL it's a tie, both are the MVP of our Defense:tt02:

mos07
08-18-2010, 09:41 PM
A Smith makes thing go on D and things should be a lot better with him, but he isn't getting any younger. Ziggy should spell Brett and him this year, but they need to draft another stud d-lineman next year.

Last time I checked Smith, Casey, and Brett weren't spring chickens. Besides Hood, does anyone think their eventual replacements are on this roster?

K Train
08-18-2010, 10:48 PM
you raise an intresting question,and it's good to see Aaron get some respect from Steeler Addicts.(the best fans in the world).His absence was a real blow to the defense.IMHO the most under rated DE in the league.

he was underrated, you can only be underrated for so long before they are rated just fine. everyone knows hes one of if not the best 5 techs

harpo
08-19-2010, 11:07 AM
When Troy is in teams can't go deep on us and be successful all the time, When Smith is in teams can't run against us and be successful all the time either, so i agree with SCFXL it's a tie, both are the MVP of our Defense:tt02:

This.....:yellowthumb:

:tt02:

steelcitysfinestXL
08-19-2010, 11:22 AM
A Smith makes thing go on D and things should be a lot better with him, but he isn't getting any younger. Ziggy should spell Brett and him this year, but they need to draft another stud d-lineman next year.

Last time I checked Smith, Casey, and Brett weren't spring chickens. Besides Hood, does anyone think their eventual replacements are on this roster?

Other than Hood, no... and even he is unproven. The DE and NT Positions HAVE to be a key point in the draft this coming offseason. I would like to see them draft a 3-4 ready DE if possible. I like Hood but he is a bit of a project at 3-4 DE being a 3 tech. guy in college. I'd love if they found a natural 5 tech. guy out of college but thats probley kind of rare. College 4 techs (4-3 DE's) project only to OLB's in our defense so its a hard thing to find!

K Train
08-19-2010, 11:27 AM
shoulda drafted alex carrington or al woods imo, but next year is a big year for 34 ends with heyward, bailey and dareus