PDA

View Full Version : Ben will make debut against Giants, and other things to watch for

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-17-2010, 09:34 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/08/steelers-will-play-ben-roethlisberger-vs-giants-on-saturday/1

HUNT4SEVEN
08-17-2010, 05:56 PM
That's not all check this out...http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/17/tomlin-says-hes-open-to-playing-dixon-in-regular-season/
Maybe Mike Tomlin has been reading PFT.

While Dennis Dixon probably doesn't have a chance to start for the Steelers, the Steelers coach indicated that s Dixon could get some work at training camp this week with the starting unit.

Byron Leftwich will apparently be the team's starting quarterback while Ben Roethlisberger was gone, but Tomlin says that Dennis Dixon could be used during regular season action.

"That's why we've continually worked on a package [of plays] solely for him not only here in training camp but back in the spring at our place," Tomlin said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

SteelerEyeZ
08-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Just got the tweet of two things to look for in the Steelers Vs Giants week 2

Mike Tomlin said after practice that Brown will return kicks versus Giants and Sepulveda will try kicking off at least once.

Sepulveda kicking off gets me excited!!!! The kid has a huge leg!!! and if he kicked off last year i can say for sure that three kick returns for tds would NOT have happened. :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

UKSTEELER
08-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Even if Sep gets some KO's run back, at least as a last line of defense he can tackle, it just makes sense allround to me.

Besides, Reedy always flatters to decieve by popping a few into the EZ during pre-season.
Heck with diminished responsibities he can only expect to pull minimum wage next season! Life's tuff sometimes!:lol:

coldrolled
08-17-2010, 08:38 PM
nfl.com has steelers on live at 7pm for the giants game...

Zachintosh66
08-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Tomlin says.... I fired Bruce!

i wish...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-18-2010, 01:08 AM
DSep will get some work with the kickoffs again. He's been sharing time with Reed and getting pointers on ball placement and such.

I would think we'll see several players returning kicks, depending on how many opportunities we'll get to do so.

The backup RB's will get a good amount of work, I want to see Dwyer get some solid reps in and see what he can do. Redman though has been looking better and better in practice and last week vs the Lions.

Batch will get more snaps this week I would imagine, but Dixon will get the Lions share after Ben get his couple series in and then Lefty takes over for a bit.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-18-2010, 08:46 AM
I dont know about ya'll but ill be watching that Cruz kid at wideout for the G-men... man was he impressive last week! He'll test Lewis, Burnett, Crezdon and rest of the DB's this week. The kid is a burner!

coldrolled
08-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I dont know about ya'll but ill be watching that Cruz kid at wideout for the G-men... man was he impressive last week! He'll test Lewis, Burnett, Crezdon and rest of the DB's this week. The kid is a burner!

Crezdon may be a jewel of a pick... hope they match up on the field.

K Train
08-18-2010, 11:07 AM
id imagine that since they run a 43 we will prepare for the exact opposite and get ben killed

roosterray
08-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Mike Tomlin said after practice that Brown will return kicks versus Giants and Sepulveda will try kicking off at least once.

Sepulveda kicking off gets me excited!!!! The kid has a huge leg!!! and if he kicked off last year i can say for sure that three kick returns for tds would NOT have happened. :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

ME TOO. I think Brown and Sanders should be on kick and or punt returns. They have much better speed and both cover kicks. Logan is quick but he's been inconsistent at fielding the ball and could be even better. He may have set records last year, but on some returns, he could have done more. Its very tough this year to think that you keep a guy just to return kicks.

coldrolled
08-18-2010, 12:26 PM
id imagine that since they run a 43 we will prepare for the exact opposite and get ben killed

will it look as bad as Manning getting crushed.. hes lucky he didnt break his neck.

Real Deal Steel
08-19-2010, 02:12 AM
That Cruz kid had the greatest performance I've ever seen in preseason. 3td's, 170 yards. And his concentration on that one handed catch. He will be a nice little test for our secondary. As far as preseason goes.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Well this game just got a whole lot LESS interesting.... Eli is out with a busted up fore head thats sporting a dozen stitches. Jim Siorgi hasnt practiced all week and is doubtful... so we might see their 3rd string QB as the starter!!! Defense should be as Vanilla as possible and play the starters for about 2 series IMO! Whats the point if you arent gonna get their best or even second best!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-20-2010, 01:29 AM
The RB's should be fun to watch; there's only so many spots to go around so every carry that they get will be crucial. I'm looking for Redman to have another good game and for Dwyer to step up and make his case.

The DB's will be another fun group to keep an eye on. Between Burnett, Lewis, and Gay all out there looking to get significant playing time this year, those guys will be fighting it out on every play.

The last 3 LB's fighting for what could be one roster spot; they better bring it and wrap up every tackle and be looking for the turnover at every opportunity.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2010, 01:37 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10232/1081298-66.stm

Steelers Notebook: Worilds set to make debut Saturday
Rookie outside linebacker missed preseason opener because of hamstring injury
Friday, August 20, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/20100820pdjasonworilds_330.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
The Steelers will get their first long look at linebacker Jason Worilds, their No. 2 draft pick, in the preseason game Saturday against the New York Giants at New Meadowlands Stadium. Worilds has been bothered by a nagging hamstring injury in training camp.

The Steelers will finally get a look at outside linebacker Jason Worilds, their No. 2 draft choice, against the New York Giants.
But they haven't seen a lot from rookie running back Jonathan Dwyer, who has been out with a shoulder injury, and probably still won't. Coach Mike Tomlin said Dwyer, a fifth-round pick from Georgia Tech, is doubtful for Saturday's game at the Giants.
Two players have been ruled out -- defensive end Steve McLendon and rookie offensive tackle Chris Scott (foot).
Asked if he is frustrated by Dwyer's lack of progress, Tomlin said, "I don't deal in frustration. I don't deal in emotion. I just deal with what I look at and the reality is, he's not on the field, so he's not helping himself much."
Worilds did not play in last week's preseason opener against the Detroit Lions because of a nagging hamstring injury. The Steelers are eager to see Worilds in game action because they are relying on him to be their No. 3 outside linebacker.
"He's going to get a look," Tomlin said. "I don't know if it will be any more extensive than anyone else."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10232/1081298-66.stm#ixzz0xDCwJ5Ww

greg1964
08-21-2010, 10:16 AM
I know it was ONE Preseason game and it was against the Lions, BUT, I have watch the preseason game four times, the 1st time just to enjoy the game, but the other three times to look at the OL play. (sorry I'm a former OL man) And if things continue as they played out in that that game, the Steelers should concern the following: The BEST five OL are:

LT: M. Stark: This is based on history more than just the Lion game. Yes he has had bad plays, but has had more good than bad.

LG: C. Kemo: was playing at a Pro-Bowl level last year before his injury last year. He was not as consist as AF was, but he is a starter.

C: M. Pouncey: Yes I'm aware it was one game, but I have drank the cool-aid. I'm not ready to declare him the new D. Dawson, but he is a upgrade over Hartwig by a long shot.

RG: R Foster: Essex is not bad, but I think Foster would be an upgrade. The Steelers were ready to replace him with Pouncey, why not Foster.

RT: Adams, or Scott: Adams has the resume (although on the left side) and when he was a lot younger, but he could be great in the running game. The fourth time I watch the lions games it was after Tomlin indicated that Scott would rotate. And to be honest, I loved what I saw. Adams will be either the starter or he will not make the team.

with this lineup: Essex could be the swing tackle or guard, Doug La, could be the backup center, and short yardage FB. Hartwig, and Adams would be cut and yes Hills would make the team again. If Adams wins the RT job Scott would be the swing tackle, Essex would be the swing guard and Hills would be cut.

This extra OL positions could play a major roll depending how many LB's and DB's the Steelers keep.

Let the games begin:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Ben will start tonight..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10233/1081785-100.stm