PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey Impressive...

DanRooney
08-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Steelers 1st Rounder Marukice Pouncey begins his push for a starting spot on OL
By Dagger, on August 16th, 2010
It’s only one game and he’s going up against 2nd stringers but if Pouncey continues to play this way, I start him the final 2 preseason games. If he proves he can hang, I name him my starting Center. Move Hartwig to RG or let Foster/Essex battle for the position.

As you watch the brief clip below, take notice of how well Pouncey moves, how he gets to the 2nd level, the way he finishes plays and hustles, the push he gets against the DL in shortyardage, his ability to “hand defenders off” when in pass protection. Good stuff.

Vid here:
http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=9778

K Train
08-16-2010, 05:28 PM
like i said i watched him on every snap and pretty much only him....he created sweet sexual magic. hartwig has no business at RG btw

steelcitysfinestXL
08-16-2010, 05:33 PM
like i said i watched him on every snap and pretty much only him....he created sweet sexual magic. hartwig has no business at RG btw

Yeah his only position is center... you'd think he'd be a lil better at it! He would get absolutely MANHANDLED playing G... well worse than he does at center anyway!

coldrolled
08-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Steelers rookie Maurkice Pouncey is practicing at center with the first team this afternoon.

Pouncey and Justin Hartwig, the starting center the past two seasons, have been splitting the center position with the first and second teams this afternoon, It is the first time Pouncey has practiced with the first team since the Steelers drafted him in the first round in April.

The Steelers have not had a rookie regularly start since Heath Miller in 2005.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10228/1080453-100.stm#ixzz0wnuC7Y3k

steelcitysfinestXL
08-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Steelers rookie Maurkice Pouncey is practicing at center with the first team this afternoon.

Pouncey and Justin Hartwig, the starting center the past two seasons, have been splitting the center position with the first and second teams this afternoon, It is the first time Pouncey has practiced with the first team since the Steelers drafted him in the first round in April.

The Steelers have not had a rookie regularly start since Heath Miller in 2005.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10228/1080453-100.stm#ixzz0wnuC7Y3k

I dont see how thats even a contest!!!! GREAT NEWS!!!

andyg1984
08-16-2010, 06:19 PM
yyeeeeaaaahh

Goodfrom55
08-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Pouncey did pretty well on Saturday. Before I crown him the starting Center for the next 12 years, I would like to see how he handles a quality noseguard. He has a quick first step and gets into his man quickly with the ability to move him wherever he wants. I would like to see him hold his blocks a little longer, as I noticed he was often seen looking around for someone to hit.

BlackGold4vr
08-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Pouncey did pretty well on Saturday. Before I crown him the starting Center for the next 12 years, I would like to see how he handles a quality noseguard. He has a quick first step and gets into his man quickly with the ability to move him wherever he wants. I would like to see him hold his blocks a little longer, as I noticed he was often seen looking around for someone to hit.

So let me get this straight. You think its a possibility that Pouncey could get pushed into our backfield faster than Hartwig currently does on almost every play? The job is his......give it to him. Pouncey at his worst would be better than Hartwig at his best.

SteelerEyeZ
08-16-2010, 06:44 PM
With the name like Pouncey he should get the job....Id buy the jersey...He looked quick and good hands...only will get better and better

HUNT4SEVEN
08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
So let me get this straight. You think its a possibility that Pouncey could get pushed into our backfield faster than Hartwig currently does on almost every play? The job is his......give it to him. Pouncey at his worst would be better than Hartwig at his best.

:haha:RIGHT!!!!!! Pouncey did not get pushed back at all, just put him at center already and put Dixon in at QB enough said:yesnod:

Here's a nice read on Pouncey...http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_695055.html

Black@Gold Forever32
08-16-2010, 07:39 PM
I rather live with Pouncey and his rookie mistakes then seeing Hartwig get his *** kicked all year again.......Pouncey as a rookie improves the OL and Hartwig at RG is laughable......lol

harpo
08-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Any word on how Pouncey did with the first team offense?

jnes1216
08-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Any word on how Pouncey did with the first team offense?

Hopefully we will see vs the Giants. Glad to see he is doing good so far. I was concerned that they didn't take Kyle Wilson with Rd 1 pick but that's why I'm sitting here:lol:

Layin the wood
08-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Going up against Hampton and Hoke in practice is just like taking on any DT in the NFL. If he does well against those 2 he will be fine!!

harpo
08-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Going up against Hampton and Hoke in practice is just like taking on any DT in the NFL. If he does well against those 2 he will be fine!!

I agree, which is why I was wondering how he was holding up during practice with the #1s.

K Train
08-18-2010, 09:58 AM
well weve SEEN him handle terrence cody before in college so i think his biggest test (any interior linemans biggest test) is going to be ngata.

shaun rogers, ngata, cody, peko are all in our division for him to practice playing at a pro bowl level on.

he'll get a good test against the giants and their rotation and the broncos who have jamaal williams now.

and regular season hes looking at peko/tank, ngata/cody and rogers twice a year. this year on the schedule hes got some top players like wilfork, kris jenkins, langford/odrick, sedrick ellis, tommy kelly, and gerald mccoy....definitely some good dline players on the schedule this season for him to work against and show what hes got. i really hope they have the balls to start him at center

harpo
08-18-2010, 10:07 AM
well weve SEEN him handle terrence cody before in college so i think his biggest test (any interior linemans biggest test) is going to be ngata.

shaun rogers, ngata, cody, peko are all in our division for him to practice playing at a pro bowl level on.

he'll get a good test against the giants and their rotation and the broncos who have jamaal williams now.

and regular season hes looking at peko/tank, ngata/cody and rogers twice a year. this year on the schedule hes got some top players like wilfork, kris jenkins, langford/odrick, sedrick ellis, tommy kelly, and gerald mccoy....definitely some good dline players on the schedule this season for him to work against and show what hes got. i really hope they have the balls to start him at center

Yeah, I would have to agree. If he can hold his own against 'Big Snack', i'm not worried about him going up against those other guys.

But I said when they drafted him that he would be the starting center from day one. Looks like I might be correct. :tt02: :bunny: :banana:

K Train
08-18-2010, 10:16 AM
thats what i said too, theres no reason to not start him there at this point hartwig should just give up

Black@Gold Forever32
08-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Pouncey as a rookie and making rookie mistakes is better then Hartwig....Plus what better time to have rookie learn and make mistake at the start of the season the first 4-6 weeks while the franchise is suspended.......

Dobre Shunka
08-19-2010, 07:34 PM
He looked impressive his 1st time out. Like a previous poster I locked on him, in fact, I'm watching it again as I post this, he has control.

We've drafted a good one.