PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the preseason opener...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Dixon showed some serious moves scrambling out of trouble on multiple occasions.

Nice to see a Steeler DB actually make an INT.

Redman running hard tonight.

Mendenhall needs to stop being Tim Whorley and hold onto that damn ball!

Starting offensive line group alittle shaky tonight, but that's to be expected with them all seeing live action for the first time together as a unit. I expect them to start playing better as the games continue this month.

Pouncey did look pretty good tonight overall.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Antonio Brown and Emmanual Sanders have some serious speed. Nice to see some Steeler WR's with after burners. That 68 yd scorcher by Brown was a thing of beauty. The more they touch the ball, the more confidence they'll get.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Maurkice Pouncey, the team’s No. 1 pick, lined at center when Justin Hartwig and right tackle Flozell Adams were removed in the first quarter and didn't played at right guard until the fourth quarter.

Is that an indication the Steelers are getting Pouncey ready to play center rather than guard – the position for which they targeted him when they drafted him with the 18th overall pick?

I don't know, but Pouncey looked awfully good against the Lions and has done nothing to make me thinks he couldn't be a starter in the regular-season opener, either at center or right guard.

He never gets rattled, is always in control and does a good job turning players to open holes. What's more, he has no problems getting to the second tier and blocking liunebackers. After helping to open a hole on Issac Redman's 31-yard run in the second quarter, Pouncey ran down the field after Redman and finished the play off by planting safety Randy Phillips on his back.

Man i hope he's the opening day center...

--- Added 8/14/2010 at 10:10 PM ---

Antonio Brown and Emmanual Sanders have some serious speed. Nice to see some Steeler WR's with after burners. That 68 yd scorcher by Brown was a thing of beauty. The more they touch the ball, the more confidence they'll get.

Thanks for the updates i have to ewait untill 10 am tomorrow to see the game:cursin:

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104298-gerry-will-pouncey-be-the-center?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Black@Gold Forever32
08-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Pouncey needs to start at center period....I thought he handled himself really well tonight.....Pancaked Suh and had a ton of knock down blocks tonight....Rather live with his mistakes then Hartwig getting his *** kicked again....

I really liked both rookie WR's and they didn't disappoint tonight...Both will make the team......

Redman looked solid tonight and I expect him to make the team.....I also like what I seen from Dwyer....You have to remember he had 3rd string OL blocking for him......

I thought Tony Hills looked alright which I hate Hills....I consider the competition trust me so I'm not to excited......

I really like Butler and think he has solid ball skills....Really hope he makes the team....Lewis and Burnett broke up a couple passes tonight.....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Considering how much time Dwyer missed and how he has struggled so far this camp I'm glad he got some carries tonight.

I fully expect Tomlin to work these RB's into the ground on strip drills. I also imagine they'll all be sleeping with footballs and being fined if they are caught without them. They have got to get over this fumbling.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Gerry: Official goof was X-rated
Saturday, 14 August 2010 22:56
Written by Gerry Dulac

This might be the first time the referee should call an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on himself.

Referee Jeff Triplette left his field microphone on following the Steelers' first touchdown and either he or one of his crew members was heard using several expletives that apparently were directed at the replay official.

After Dennis Dixon’s 5-yard touchdown run was overturned by an officials review because there were less than two minutes remaining in the half, the Steelers scored on the next play on a 1-yard run by Isaac Redman.

After Jeff Reed kicked the extra point, the unidentified official was irked that the replay official in the booth stopped the game in a driving rainstorm. If he does that again, the official said, “I’ll kick his (expletive) (expletive).” Then he added, “He’s trying to get to the Super Bowl already.”

The profanity-laced comment could be heard the fans in attendance at Heinz Field.

Oops

I thought that was funny:lol: On a more serious note i heard that Dwyer is done for the year he popped a knee...anyone else with info on this?

lloydfan4life
08-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Dwyer went out of the game with what looked to be an arm or elbow injury. Not sure where they got the knee at. :dunno:

HUNT4SEVEN
08-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Dwyer went out of the game with what looked to be an arm or elbow injury. Not sure where they got the knee at. :dunno:

It was a Detroit player i just got the info, Dwyer did hurt his shoulder and arm though...

Real Deal Steel
08-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Dixon's accuracy has greatly improved. He moved in the pocket not to run, but to just scramble and buy time to throw.

Dixon outplayed Leftwhich tonite.

xxxsteelernation
08-15-2010, 12:52 AM
I think sitting ben tonight was a statement by mike tomlin giving him more of an incentive to keep out of situations where skanky women accuse him of stuff. Do you think the majority of steeler nation has forgiven ben?

Dobre Shunka
08-15-2010, 12:58 AM
I would say by the 4rth game of the regular season, they'll have him up for sainthood.

DanRooney
08-15-2010, 01:32 AM
If Leftwich has another mediocre opening like that next week, Dixon will be our #1 for preseason weeks 3 and 4 and possibly our starter for the regular season.

I'm no fan of Dixon's passing ability, but if Airhead Arians allows him to scramble like he did in those 3rd and mid-range situations, we have a very dangerous weapon. In the first 4 weeks of the regular season we need to score by any means possible, and if that means scrambling and trickeration then so be it.

Another bright side to tonight was Redman. He will absolutely the Steelers #2 back as well as the goal-line and short yardage back. Dwyer is still a work in progress.

Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders are studs. I really hope they become the #3 and #4 receivers on our team. Brown has the same swagger as Santonio Holmes.

Pouncey played well at center and I hope he and Legursky make Hartwig expendable.

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-15-2010, 02:09 AM
Just saw the highlights, dixon was looking good. So was Brown

Steelers guy
08-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Dixon looked good I see him moving up within the ranks if he keeps up his performances to second string. So far so good for the Steelers next week its New York.

mwittman5
08-15-2010, 04:22 AM
was impressed with: dixon, redman, saunders, brown.

not impressed with: flozell adams, leftwich, mendenhall not carrying the ball right

darnik44
08-15-2010, 08:13 AM
How can they justify starting Leftwitch over Dixon? Dixon is clearly better, not to mention the Steelers have a far more vested interest in the younger Dixon.

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-15-2010, 12:39 PM
as long as the road can stay open for dixon i don't care how he get's the ball where it belongs. leftwich. man's got problems. probably wore out. just sayin.

Real Deal Steel
08-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Letwhich holds on to the ball too long. But Flozell looked bad. He'd better get used to playing on the right side of the line and quick.

Dixon has clearly taken a step up. Which is exactly what I've been saying to the Dixon bashers all summer.

Brown and Sanders looked awsome too. Even Arnez Battle played well. Cut time will be interesting.

Redman looks like he's in the rotation with Moore and Mendenhall.

darnik44
08-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Letwhich holds on to the ball too long. But Flozell looked bad. He'd better get used to playing on the right side of the line and quick.

Dixon has clearly taken a step up. Which is exactly what I've been saying to the Dixon bashers all summer.

Brown and Sanders looked awsome too. Even Arnez Battle played well. Cut time will be interesting.

Redman looks like he's in the rotation with Moore and Mendenhall.

That brings up a good point. Why wouldn't they move Max Starks back to right tackle, his natural position and have Adams at his natural left tackle position? Typical Mike Tomlin decision making. Just like Leftwitch over Dixon...

MattyVfromCT
08-15-2010, 01:42 PM
That brings up a good point. Why wouldn't they move Max Starks back to right tackle, his natural position and have Adams at his natural left tackle position? Typical Mike Tomlin decision making. Just like Leftwitch over Dixon...

they believe starks is better on the left side than the right and also, flozell is partially deaf in his right ear (so i hear from dallas fans i know) so they probably believe that is one of the reasons he used to have so many false starts in dallas

Zachintosh66
08-15-2010, 02:09 PM
My first impressions are:

Our OL still sucks, which is why Dixon looked better than Concrete Feet Byron Sandwhich.

Rookie WR's = thumbs up

Redman looked decent against second teamers (better then him playing last year against scubs)

CB's seemed to be improving

Every single one of our second team OL needs cut (except Pouncey) they all were horrible! Foster, Legurusky, Essex, Hills etc. etc.

T. Gibson and Timmons looked good

--- Added 8/15/2010 at 12:09 PM ---

Maybe he tripped over charlie batch or went training with Troy, :LOL:

coldrolled
08-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Dixon makes plays out of BA's crappy play book.. just like ben does. Leftwich needs to backup Batch...

Sylvester looked good, had at least 15 tackles. Butler looked good..

Brown had a great game, speed, hands, routes.... he had it all going.

Gibson looked good...

Redman is in.. Summers had a nice soft handed catch..

Logan didnt show.. maybe the kickers out played him??

Keenan was good, burnett is odd man out.

JensK
08-15-2010, 02:47 PM
my take on the first game:

The O-line was rather sucky, however, its the first pre-season game, and you hardly ever see any good o-line play this early, as its not just one player, but a man unit that have to get in sync. I know thats what they do in TC, but TC can't replace actual playing time. I wont start judging on them before at least third preseason game.

leftwich was aweful. He flat out sucked. He was slow, made bad reads, had a terrible release etc etc. Sure, the o-line did not provide him with a lot of help, but you can't play a QB in AFC North who cant throw the ball if there is any kind of pressure on him. No way in hell that'll ever work out.

Mendenhall looked pretty good imo. Sure, he did get that ball stripped, and thats something he'll have to get back and work on, but the play was actually very good. He showed good burst, nice reads and good feet.

Redman played well too, however im not overly impressed. first of, he played against second stringers. Second, its not like he showed any amazing moves. Sure, he had a spinmove, but that is rather easy to be honest. He has some power, and he is hard to get down, but thats it... He does not bring anything else to the table, and hes condition seems to be pretty bad. He played well for a quarter or so, and then ran out of gas.

Dwyer did not get a whole lot of action, and got injured. Not sure what to think about him yet...

Both of our rookie WRs looked amazing. Cant wait to see more about these guys. Especially Brown looks to have a swagger about him. I think he has a huge chip on his shoulder for when he was drafted. Sanders runs some amazingly sexy routes.

Dixon played lights out. He ran well, he threw the ball somewhat well (better than leftwich anyways), but he lacks the ability to stay in the pocket and get the throw executed. i do admire his determination tho... when he takes a decision, he follows through. He was clearly the better QB of the him and Leftwich!

Our LBs did play pretty well. Obviously, everyone saw Harrison being absolutely unblockeable. Woodley played rather bad, missed a few tackles, and did not look sharp in coverage - Its early tho, so no worries.. he'll bounce back. Lawrence Timmons looks freakishly fast and strong. He looked much better against the run than last year.

Of our rookie LBs, both Gibson and Sylvester impressed me. Gibson did miss a sack, and you can be certain that LeBeau and Butler had a thing or two to tell Gibson about that, but he held his own very well, and did what he was supposed to do. Same with Sylevster who made a few very good open field tackles. He looks really fast.

Our DBs actually played pretty good. I liked what i saw from Lewis and Burnett. Sure, they gave up that TD, but it was against Calvin Johson, arguably a top 3 WR in the league, who they more or less shut down when he was in. Not too shabby.

Pouncey played a good game as well. He did make some mistakes here and there, but he only makes them once, and then corrects it.

Dobre Shunka
08-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Pouncey looked like a pro. Control @ the line, nice moves, blocks great, and finds a target post line play. Extremely impressive. His comfort zone is obviosly center.

Brown stood out period.

Redman, Gibson, Sanders, Dixon, Madison, and Sylvester all performed well.

Just what you would expect from rooks in the 1st game against scrubs and rusty starters.

Overall- A lot to be happy with from players hungry to make this team.

On to the next game and the competition notched up another level.

SteelCityKid5
08-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Even though he gave up the TD vs. Calvin Johnson, I liked what Keenan Lewis and the news did. Of course, Brown and Redman had good games. I'd just like to see what Redman can do vs. 1st team players though. Tony Hills had a good game and I like Sanders' speed and hands. O-line needs more time to jell. I know, Pouncey should start at center but I don't think Tomlin will do that. Defense looked pretty good for the 1st game plus, I dont think Lebeau threw the kitchen sink in a preseason game.

jnes1216
08-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Just finished watching the replay. I really liked A. Brown and the hard running by Redman, who also had a nice block to pick up a blitzing LOLB. Lewis had some nice plays and Burnett had one in the end zone. Legursky and Hills had nice blocks for Redman's TD.

I was not impressed with the run game blocking or the kick return game-returners did not seem to have a lot of room. Sepulveda did a nice job, two or three fair catches and one that bounced into end zone. The right OLB after Harrison had a bad game #55, was that Bailey? Seemed to get beat everytime I saw him.

All in all a typical first preseason game. Some highs and lows (fumbling) but a good place to build.

xxxsteelernation
08-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Dixon played lights out. He ran well, he threw the ball somewhat well (better than leftwich anyways), but he lacks the ability to stay in the pocket and get the throw executed. i do admire his determination tho... when he takes a decision, he follows through. He was clearly the better QB of the him and Leftwich!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with almost all of your observations. Tomlin dosent want dixon to just stay in the pocket. Dixon is just like ben in playing styles the do better out of the pocket then in. Ben is not that good in the pocket either. But we accept him remember dixon was on with 90% of his throws even the pass interference call the ball was dead on. the only reason it looked bad was i forget who the reciver was was pushed forward on the play.

Troyisabeast_43
08-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Sanders and Brown are definitely going to be 3 and 4 on the depth chart at receiver at some point this year maybe even the whole season.

This secondary this season has the potential to be a lot better with BMac back and the emergence of Keenan Lewis.

Man did we miss Aaron Smith last season he was an absolute beast last night and he might be as important to this defense as Troy is.

Gonna be hard for Tomlin and the staff not to make the Dixon the starter on opening day if he plays the way he did last night and Leftwich plays the way he did last night. I know it's only one game in the preseason but right now I would say Leftwich is no lock to start the opener against the Falcons. Dixon clearly outplayed him last night in all areas...

Overall, good performance from the whole team in general. It's good to see a lot of the guys from this years draft coming in and playing well and making a huge impact early on. Pouncey,Sanders,Gibson,and Brown all look great so far. Hopefully Worilds can get back and play next week and show us why the Steelers drafted him in the 2nd round...

Zachintosh66
08-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Was that a touchback I saw? :LOL: good job jeff :towel:

DanRooney
08-15-2010, 05:22 PM
my take on the first game:

The O-line was rather sucky, however, its the first pre-season game, and you hardly ever see any good o-line play this early, as its not just one player, but a man unit that have to get in sync. I know thats what they do in TC, but TC can't replace actual playing time. I wont start judging on them before at least third preseason game.

leftwich was aweful. He flat out sucked. He was slow, made bad reads, had a terrible release etc etc. Sure, the o-line did not provide him with a lot of help, but you can't play a QB in AFC North who cant throw the ball if there is any kind of pressure on him. No way in hell that'll ever work out.

Mendenhall looked pretty good imo. Sure, he did get that ball stripped, and thats something he'll have to get back and work on, but the play was actually very good. He showed good burst, nice reads and good feet.

Redman played well too, however im not overly impressed. first of, he played against second stringers. Second, its not like he showed any amazing moves. Sure, he had a spinmove, but that is rather easy to be honest. He has some power, and he is hard to get down, but thats it... He does not bring anything else to the table, and hes condition seems to be pretty bad. He played well for a quarter or so, and then ran out of gas.

Dwyer did not get a whole lot of action, and got injured. Not sure what to think about him yet...

Both of our rookie WRs looked amazing. Cant wait to see more about these guys. Especially Brown looks to have a swagger about him. I think he has a huge chip on his shoulder for when he was drafted. Sanders runs some amazingly sexy routes.

Our LBs did play pretty well. Obviously, everyone saw Harrison being absolutely unblockeable. Woodley played rather bad, missed a few tackles, and did not look sharp in coverage - Its early tho, so no worries.. he'll bounce back. Lawrence Timmons looks freakishly fast and strong. He looked much better against the run than last year.

Of our rookie LBs, both Gibson and Sylvester impressed me. Gibson did miss a sack, and you can be certain that LeBeau and Butler had a thing or two to tell Gibson about that, but he held his own very well, and did what he was supposed to do. Same with Sylevster who made a few very good open field tackles. He looks really fast.

Our DBs actually played pretty good. I liked what i saw from Lewis and Burnett. Sure, they gave up that TD, but it was against Calvin Johson, arguably a top 3 WR in the league, who they more or less shut down when he was in. Not too shabby.

Pouncey played a good game as well. He did make some mistakes here and there, but he only makes them once, and then corrects it.

Mendenhall played good with 2 yards rushing but your not impressed with Redman? :thinking:

Ok bro.

LatrobePA
08-15-2010, 05:28 PM
If DD keeps out playing shitwich and Tomlin starts BL he should be fired!

It is however the first game, I'll give it time.

But it looks like Shitwich is starting where he left off in Tampa!

He's NO GOOD!

steelcitysfinestXL
08-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Mendenhall played good with 2 yards rushing but your not impressed with Redman? :thinking:

Ok bro.

:hilarious: yeah he lost me with that one too!

Qbs:

Lefty- Its kinda hard to get a read on how he did cause he was getting pressured on every play. With that being said, he better get used to it cause our oline looks as if its still a work in progress.
grade: D+

Dixon- Looked solid! WHEN he did throw he was on point and had good numbers. GREAT blitz reads and hot throws. The "Happy Feet" in the pocket is a lil nerve racking. Hopefully Ben can share his expertise and show Dixon how to escape and reset for the throw. He had Sanders WIDE open after escaping the pocket and NEVER saw him. Would've been a 50+ yard TD!
grade: B

O-line:

Starters- As a whole looked pitiful! Everyone got beat atleast once in pass pro and the run blocking was hit or miss. Work in progress!

Back-ups- Pouncey impressed, down field on every play and NEVER got moved backwards at C. Hills was impressive. If he keeps it up he makes this team! Legursky was so-so, i like him at FB ALOT though!

RBs:

Mende- I would have loved to see the rest of the run he fumbled on. Other than that, he didnt get much room and ran backwards once when he was stopped for a loss. But, he ran hard, hit the wholes quickly and showed good vision after he hit em!

Moore- Had a great block... thats all that stood out!

Redman- Ran hard, with burst and keeps his legs moving to drive piles. The kid looks like a hammer. The spin move was effective and he even showed some soft hands on a screen...Mewelde better step it up.

WRs/TEs:

First teamers didnt do much. El may just get cut! And it isnt a knock on him... but them young boys look stellar. Battle looks like a savy vet who can add alot to ST's as well. Spaeth had a few nice blocks.

Thats how i saw the offense... maybe its time to get some of these guys i mentioned first team reps! Hope it happens this week!

JensK
08-15-2010, 06:10 PM

Ok bro.

First of, i did actually write that i thought Redman had a good game. As i also said, i know Mendenhall did not have a bunch of rushing yards, as he was in for like 4 plays, but i liked what i saw. Sure, he fumbled the ball, but the run it self showed great explosiveness and awareness, something Redman did not show. He showed than he can lower his shoulder and run straight into people without falling. While that is perfectly fine against second stringers, you wont be able to do that against Ravens for example.

DanRooney
08-15-2010, 06:37 PM
First of, i did actually write that i thought Redman had a good game. As i also said, i know Mendenhall did not have a bunch of rushing yards, as he was in for like 4 plays, but i liked what i saw. Sure, he fumbled the ball, but the run it self showed great explosiveness and awareness, something Redman did not show. He showed than he can lower his shoulder and run straight into people without falling. While that is perfectly fine against second stringers, you wont be able to do that against Ravens for example.

Mendenhall wasn't able to do it against the Lions. :yellowthumb:

Redman running against 2nd stringers is completely irrelevant. He's looked good in EVERY single preseason game. If you're not impressed then what's the saying? Haters gonna hate? I can't believe you're knocking him on his spin move either yet you're applauding a guy who made that famous last season in Pittsburgh.

We already know Mendenhall has explosiveness so I'm not sure how that wowed you. We also know he has ball security issues which is exactly why there's no way you can be impressed with his performance last night. Redman is looking to be the #2 back and he's on the right track. He's exactly what you want out of a grinder and short yardage back in that he keeps moving his legs forward after contact.

UKSTEELER
08-15-2010, 06:43 PM
It's worth remembering that a lot of these guys haven't played a competitive game of ball since last pre-season, it's as much a mental exercise as a physical one. To go out there with the expectation and to actually put in a good performance speaks volumes.

Remember a guy like Red had no priviledges, went to a school no one heard of, the only thing he got was a break.

It can't be denied that to date, by and large he's taken that chance and ran with it.

He posesses a good skill set, he is arguably the best blocking back on the team, the best short yardage back on the team and he has soft hands, all of these were on display last night.

Maybe just maybe the guy might thrive on some positive feed back?

Yep, okay let's see what he achieves come the season proper, but every guy will be there through hardwork and on merit.

He's got me excited about our run game again, and if Mendy shines and the O'line gels WATCH OUT!

Congrats to Red on a fine outing.

Go Steelers:cope:

JensK
08-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Mendenhall wasn't able to do it against the Lions. :yellowthumb:

Redman running against 2nd stringers is completely irrelevant. He's looked good in EVERY single preseason game. If you're not impressed then what's the saying? Haters gonna hate? I can't believe you're knocking him on his spin move either yet you're applauding a guy who made that famous last season in Pittsburgh.

We already know Mendenhall has explosiveness so I'm not sure how that wowed you. We also know he has ball security issues which is exactly why there's no way you can be impressed with his performance last night. Redman is looking to be the #2 back and he's on the right track. He's exactly what you want out of a grinder and short yardage back in that he keeps moving his legs forward after contact.

I have never said that i did applaud Mendenhall for spinning around have i? Right, did not think so. All im saying is, Mendenhall had 5 attempts, and had two years rushing. That is not mind blowing, however, two of them he never had a chance, as the o-line totally broke down. The third one is where he fumbled, was a really good run with serveral good moves. He did lack ball security, i never said he did not. What i said is, at the run where he actually had a chance to do something, he made en explosive run, which is what i applauded him for. I am not going to compare them, as they did not run under the same circumstances, nor did they get anywhere near same amount of playing time. Also, what i was saying is, that i still think Redman lacks quickness and needs to show some kind of moves. RBs who can't do that is a dying race in NFL. Im not saying he is not capable of it, but i did not see enough of it yesterday. Which is why its good we have 3 more games.

Also, about your point about ball security - It's not everything. Adrian Peterson is, imo, the best RB in the league, but he have quite a few fumbles over the course, yet id still call most of his games rather impressive.

nuclearchihuahuas
08-15-2010, 07:08 PM
I truly hate to say it but I was not at all impressed with Flozell--I know the right side is new to him but I didn't see the effort of finishing his blocks--that worries me...Pouncey was fabulous--I was also impressed with Hills improvement. I think the coaching staff is used the first preseason game to find the right mix/personnel on the o-line. Its one thing to stand out in practice and another to impress at game time. other than that--Antonio Brown---OMG! :tt02:

StlersGuy
08-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Some non-expert observations and unsolicited opinions following the Steelers 23-7 win over the Detroit Lions in the preseason opener on Aug. 14 at Heinz Field:

* The decision was made not to play Ben Roethlisberger, and it was the correct one in three different ways: the Steelers need to get Byron Leftwich ready for the start of the regular season; there’s no way you unnecessarily stick Roethlisberger behind a backup offensive line; and it made no sense to risk boos at Heinz Field. With everything being so positive between Roethlisberger and the fans to this point in training camp, why provide the opportunity for that to re-emerge as an issue during the team’s final week there?

* Not so much a fan of the decision to play Charlie Batch in the final couple of series with guys who were in grade school when he broke into the NFL in 1998. At least Dennis Dixon has those young legs to help him escape.

* Speaking of Dixon’s legs, it appears as though Coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will not dissuade Dixon from utilizing his running ability. Dixon finished with 31 yards on six carries, with a 6-yard gain coming on a third-and-5 and a 3-yard gain converting a third-and-2. A past offensive coordinator –Kevin Gilbride – once scolded Kordell Stewart for running for a touchdown when he believed he could have thrown for the touchdown. Hey, they all count six points, right?

* Speaking of touchdowns, it sure appeared as though Dixon got across the goal line late in the second period, only to have the touchdown reversed on replay, but that also was the occasion of Isaac Redman’s highlight of the night. Yes, Redman rushed for 60 yards on 15 carries, caught 2 passes for 17 more and was four-for-four converting short-yardage and goal-line situations. All of that was good, but on the Dixon run he showed good awareness as a potential receiver who peeled back and picked off a Lions defender to enable to Dixon to score a touchdown. Well, what should have been a touchdown.

* Antonio Brown will be feted for his 68-yard touchdown catch, but that was a simple 8-yard throw in which he out-ran some Lions defenders who took poor angles. His best play was a shorter route to the sideline when he came out of his break, located the ball that already was in the air and made a finger-tip catch of a throw that was low and toward the sideline.

* To put it kindly: confidence never has been a problem for Brown, and don’t think for a minute that wasn’t behind Coach Mike Tomlin’s terse answer to a question about how the rookie receiver played in his professional debut. “Nice start.”

* When asked to assess the play of the first-team offensive line, Tomlin instead touched on fumbles by his running backs as a culprit in preventing the whole unit from developing an early rhythm. Rashard Mendenhall continues to carry the ball away from his body, and that was how Lions safety C.C. Brown punched it loose on a play that so angered Tomlin that he benched him for the next series.

* Mewelde Moore replaced Mendenhall and fumbled on his first carry. Oh, well.

* Back to the first-team offensive line. For all he brings to the team, Flozell Adams is not invincible. He had some trouble with 260-pound defensive end Cliff Avril, who beat him to the outside to sack Byron Leftwich. Another pass play on that series was ruined when Chris Kemoeatu didn’t pick up a stunt that finished with Kyle VandenBosch right in Leftwich’s face. One physical error, one mental mistake. A bad daily double.

* It was somewhat amusing to watch the Lions offense try to push the Steelers defense around on Detroit’s opening possession. On the first play, Jahvid Best gained 3 yards as right tackle Gosder Cherilus got chippy with LaMarr Woodley. On second down, Best gained 6 as guard Stephen Peterman got chippy with James Farrior. On third-and-1, Best got stuffed. No gain. Punt. There was no more chippiness from the Lions offensive line.

* For me, Stefan Logan allows way too many kicks to bounce in front of him. Even did it with a kickoff against the Lions.

* The Steelers have three veteran inside linebackers in Farrior, Lawrence Timmons and Larry Foote. But watch the two new guys – rookie Stevenson Sylvester and CFL refugee Renauld Williams. Sylvester led the team in tackles, and Williams added four on defense and one on special teams while being on the No. 1 kickoff, kickoff return and punt teams. After the game, Tomlin greeted Williams outside the locker room by slapping him on the shoulder and saying, “Hammer and nails.” There was no doubt which one Williams was vs. the Lions.

* A lot of young guys played well in the preseason opener, but to determine if they’re the real deal, pay attention to how they comport themselves in the final training camp practices and then the preseason game against the Giants on the road. Nobody makes an NFL roster based on one preseason game.

story (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Observations-from-the-preseason-opener/4ad965dd-3e5e-4f1a-a1d7-cc80aee23f1d) here

SteelDad
08-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Saw a lot of Antoino Brown here in Big Ten/MAC country. He reminds me of why the draft is such an imperfect science. The guy just flat out plays the game like it should be played. He holds most of the receiving/total yardage records at CMU. I'm not surprised at all by his success last night. Hope he keeps it up.

xxxsteelernation
08-16-2010, 01:09 AM
:hilarious: yeah he lost me with that one too!

Qbs:

Lefty- Its kinda hard to get a read on how he did cause he was getting pressured on every play. With that being said, he better get used to it cause our oline looks as if its still a work in progress.

Dixon- Looked solid! WHEN he did throw he was on point and had good numbers. GREAT blitz reads and hot throws. The "Happy Feet" in the pocket is a lil nerve racking. Hopefully Ben can share his expertise and show Dixon how to escape and reset for the throw. He had Sanders WIDE open after escaping the pocket and NEVER saw him. Would've been a 50+ yard TD!
grade: B

O-line:

Starters- As a whole looked pitiful! Everyone got beat atleast once in pass pro and the run blocking was hit or miss. Work in progress!

Back-ups- Pouncey impressed, down field on every play and NEVER got moved backwards at C. Hills was impressive. If he keeps it up he makes this team! Legursky was so-so, i like him at FB ALOT though!

RBs:

Mende- I would have loved to see the rest of the run he fumbled on. Other than that, he didnt get much room and ran backwards once when he was stopped for a loss. But, he ran hard, hit the wholes quickly and showed good vision after he hit em!

Moore- Had a great block... thats all that stood out!

Redman- Ran hard, with burst and keeps his legs moving to drive piles. The kid looks like a hammer. The spin move was effective and he even showed some soft hands on a screen...Mewelde better step it up.

WRs/TEs:

First teamers didnt do much. El may just get cut! And it isnt a knock on him... but them young boys look stellar. Battle looks like a savy vet who can add alot to ST's as well. Spaeth had a few nice blocks.

Thats how i saw the offense... maybe its time to get some of these guys i mentioned first team reps! Hope it happens this week!

Dixon i belive was already across the line of scrimmage before sanders released. I have to watch it again but i do believe that dixon went across the line first then bounced back to get around a defender then sanders released.

coldrolled
08-16-2010, 07:58 AM
:hilarious:

The pressure will always be there for lefty, he cant run, so the blitz will be on him, it will be bull rush city coming at him every play.... thats why he wont work and we cant run the ball with BL in there either..... not all his fault. hes just slow... the OL cant get him the time.

Ben scrambles to make time...
BA cant make plays for our teams strengths... will BA make plays to highlight dixon... no.. he has to improvise then too.. then everyone says.. he doesnt stay in the pocket. well dixon is no fool to stay in the pocket. BA needs to make plays... like bootlegs... copy some Randall Cunningham plays, he was a 4 time pro bowler. we need a new OC... face it.

this guy doesnt flex for anything. go dixon...

steelcitysfinestXL
08-16-2010, 08:31 AM
The pressure will always be there for lefty, he cant run, so the blitz will be on him, it will be bull rush city coming at him every play.... thats why he wont work and we cant run the ball with BL in there either..... not all his fault. hes just slow... the OL cant get him the time.

Ben scrambles to make time...
BA cant make plays for our teams strengths... will BA make plays to highlight dixon... no.. he has to improvise then too.. then everyone says.. he doesnt stay in the pocket. well dixon is no fool to stay in the pocket. BA needs to make plays... like bootlegs... copy some Randall Cunningham plays, he was a 4 time pro bowler. we need a new OC... face it.

this guy doesnt flex for anything. go dixon...

On Lefty: Its a matter of reading the blitz pre-snap, making the adjustments and beating the blitz... lefty should know that and im not sure he does. He took a VERY deep drop on that Avril sack, he got way too deep and Flozel was made to look the fool because of it! Im not sure he's any more comfortable than Dixon at this point and thats what the FO expected when they brought him in!

On Dixon: Made some great blitz adjustments. One resulted in the Brown TD, the other a first down. The Arnaz Battle 51 yarder was a designed boot leg and there were 3 others called, one was the TD called back. BA has put a ton of plays in for Dixon... im not sure how you havent noticed, its been well documented at camp as well. I mean, he did arrive at camp the 3rd string QB... how MORE many plays do you want the rest of the team to learn? BA did the right thing by taking the hand cuffs of and allowing Dixon to run when he needs to.

Dixon needs to learn to use his legs to extend the play as well. Im not hating on a 5+ yard scramble at all. But you'd think watching Ben for 3 years he would be a pro at extending the play with is legs and atleast ATTEMPT to throw on a scramble. Thats something teams will see on film, he doesnt attempt to throw once he breaks the pocket. Teams will begin to break coverage and pursue the ball faster than they did last night. Perfect time for Dixon to learn to evade, re-set his feet and make some Roethlisberger like throws!!!

coldrolled
08-16-2010, 09:00 AM
the plays must all be like.. delayed bootlegs and dixon draw plays... designed to double fool the D.. i am missing the designed part on most of those i guess.

i did see a nice screen play that was planned, that lefty i think was in on.

Layin the wood
08-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Dixon deserves to get some snaps with the first string offense in practice this week!! If they want to keep Leftwich in there then they better work with the OL or he is going to get killed. Mendenhall and Moore better look up Lester Hayes to see if he has any Stickem left lying around. The young WR's looked good and Redman is a beast!! I think we finally found our big back we have missed for a few years! As a whole,the Defense looked pretty solid. Punting and Kicking game were good but we still need work on kick coverage!!

steelcitysfinestXL
08-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Dixon deserves to get some snaps with the first string offense in practice this week!! If they want to keep Leftwich in there then they better work with the OL or he is going to get killed. Mendenhall and Moore better look up Lester Hayes to see if he has any Stickem left lying around. The young WR's looked good and Redman is a beast!! I think we finally found our big back we have missed for a few years! As a whole,the Defense looked pretty solid. Punting and Kicking game were good but we still need work on kick coverage!!

If this makes sense, i gotta agree and disagree with you at the same time. YES, Dixon deserves to get first teams reps... IN PRACTICE as you said. IF he shows he can command the Offense with/vs the guys who play on Sundays on a consistant basis then YES i'd love to see him get reps with first team on Saturday.

Im not a BA hater like most. I do however wish we could see shorter drops and more quick routes built into our offense to back up upposing defenses. We have the personnel to do it with Hines/Heath/MeMo/Mende and Ben having a damn live arm on quick routes. That would help our Oline in pass pro as well cause defenses will have to play back off the line to cover shorter zones.

Redman did run hard and well.. but so do Mende and MeMo. MeMo really runs well once through the line and tends to move foward on contact. Redman will make a nice addition as a late game/closer and allow MeMo to play more of a Kevin Faulk type role.

Im prob gonna get roasted for saying this, but i see alot of Santonio in Brown. He gets the ball, tucks and is upfield all in one motion just like Ton' did. Its a bit premature i know, but i like the kid alot! Sanders needs to get some more game time balls his way. I really didnt notice him much. Tyler Grissam may have lost a roster spot on one play alone. That slip screen he ran was about F'in awful! One more comparison to Wes Welker and i think ill throw up!

coldrolled
08-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Steelcity.. one question, why do you think BA has not received a contract extension?

one more: why would you call a run play with Moore up the middle into Suh for his first run?

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Tonight I will watch the game to it's entirity however what I watched on NFL network yesterday had me impressed with the young guys....First string OLine is ridiculous once again! Leftwich looked like crap...liking what Dixon was bringing to the table. LOVE what Redman was doing...man he really wants to make this team and you can tell. Loved Brown and Sanders...I need to look more at Pouncey and Hood...I do have a hard time watching EVERYTHING all at once. :duh:

The new guys just impressed me and you can see how much they want to make this team...perhaps the Veterans should take some lessons...should be a very interesting pre season!! :yesnod:

harpo
08-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Observations from the preseason opener

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Some non-expert observations and unsolicited opinions following the Steelers 23-7 win over the Detroit Lions in the preseason opener on Aug. 14 at Heinz Field:

* The decision was made not to play Ben Roethlisberger, and it was the correct one in three different ways: the Steelers need to get Byron Leftwich ready for the start of the regular season; there’s no way you unnecessarily stick Roethlisberger behind a backup offensive line; and it made no sense to risk boos at Heinz Field. With everything being so positive between Roethlisberger and the fans to this point in training camp, why provide the opportunity for that to re-emerge as an issue during the team’s final week there?

* Not so much a fan of the decision to play Charlie Batch in the final couple of series with guys who were in grade school when he broke into the NFL in 1998. At least Dennis Dixon has those young legs to help him escape.

* Speaking of Dixon’s legs, it appears as though Coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will not dissuade Dixon from utilizing his running ability. Dixon finished with 31 yards on six carries, with a 6-yard gain coming on a third-and-5 and a 3-yard gain converting a third-and-2. A past offensive coordinator –Kevin Gilbride – once scolded Kordell Stewart for running for a touchdown when he believed he could have thrown for the touchdown. Hey, they all count six points, right?

* Speaking of touchdowns, it sure appeared as though Dixon got across the goal line late in the second period, only to have the touchdown reversed on replay, but that also was the occasion of Isaac Redman’s highlight of the night. Yes, Redman rushed for 60 yards on 15 carries, caught 2 passes for 17 more and was four-for-four converting short-yardage and goal-line situations. All of that was good, but on the Dixon run he showed good awareness as a potential receiver who peeled back and picked off a Lions defender to enable to Dixon to score a touchdown. Well, what should have been a touchdown.

* Antonio Brown will be feted for his 68-yard touchdown catch, but that was a simple 8-yard throw in which he out-ran some Lions defenders who took poor angles. His best play was a shorter route to the sideline when he came out of his break, located the ball that already was in the air and made a finger-tip catch of a throw that was low and toward the sideline.

* To put it kindly: confidence never has been a problem for Brown, and don’t think for a minute that wasn’t behind Coach Mike Tomlin’s terse answer to a question about how the rookie receiver played in his professional debut. “Nice start.”

* When asked to assess the play of the first-team offensive line, Tomlin instead touched on fumbles by his running backs as a culprit in preventing the whole unit from developing an early rhythm. Rashard Mendenhall continues to carry the ball away from his body, and that was how Lions safety C.C. Brown punched it loose on a play that so angered Tomlin that he benched him for the next series.

* Mewelde Moore replaced Mendenhall and fumbled on his first carry. Oh, well.

* Back to the first-team offensive line. For all he brings to the team, Flozell Adams is not invincible. He had some trouble with 260-pound defensive end Cliff Avril, who beat him to the outside to sack Byron Leftwich. Another pass play on that series was ruined when Chris Kemoeatu didn’t pick up a stunt that finished with Kyle VandenBosch right in Leftwich’s face. One physical error, one mental mistake. A bad daily double.

* It was somewhat amusing to watch the Lions offense try to push the Steelers defense around on Detroit’s opening possession. On the first play, Jahvid Best gained 3 yards as right tackle Gosder Cherilus got chippy with LaMarr Woodley. On second down, Best gained 6 as guard Stephen Peterman got chippy with James Farrior. On third-and-1, Best got stuffed. No gain. Punt. There was no more chippiness from the Lions offensive line.

* For me, Stefan Logan allows way too many kicks to bounce in front of him. Even did it with a kickoff against the Lions.

* The Steelers have three veteran inside linebackers in Farrior, Lawrence Timmons and Larry Foote. But watch the two new guys – rookie Stevenson Sylvester and CFL refugee Renauld Williams. Sylvester led the team in tackles, and Williams added four on defense and one on special teams while being on the No. 1 kickoff, kickoff return and punt teams. After the game, Tomlin greeted Williams outside the locker room by slapping him on the shoulder and saying, “Hammer and nails.” There was no doubt which one Williams was vs. the Lions.

* A lot of young guys played well in the preseason opener, but to determine if they’re the real deal, pay attention to how they comport themselves in the final training camp practices and then the preseason game against the Giants on the road. Nobody makes an NFL roster based on one preseason game.

story (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Observations-from-the-preseason-opener/4ad965dd-3e5e-4f1a-a1d7-cc80aee23f1d) here

I love this. Thanks for posting. :tt02:

K Train
08-16-2010, 11:44 AM
pouncey was sweet sexual magic on the field....please start him at center.

gibson was on the field ALOT, only had 2 tackles but was disruptive....i think he would have gotten some sacks if it wasnt for the ****** weather. hes gonna be so ****ing badass.

starting defense looked good.

keenan lewis had a great play against calvin johnson, **** like that is only gonna make him better

clearly mendenhall doesnt give a **** about preseason which is ok with me

CB is an very insteresting battle after the first 2....lewis, gay, burnett all fighting

leftwich is the worst

dixon showed some poise, loving it....too bad they dont have the competency to start him

i think id prefer battle over el....even though i hate them both and want them both gone

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2010, 11:47 AM
pouncey was sweet sexual magic on the field....please start him at center.

gibson was on the field ALOT, only had 2 tackles but was disruptive....i think he would have gotten some sacks if it wasnt for the ****** weather. hes gonna be so ****ing badass.

starting defense looked good.

keenan lewis had a great play against calvin johnson, **** like that is only gonna make him better

clearly mendenhall doesnt give a **** about preseason which is ok with me

CB is an very insteresting battle after the first 2....lewis, gay, burnett all fighting

leftwich is the worst

dixon showed some poise, loving it....too bad they dont have the competency to start him

i think id prefer battle over el....even though i hate them both and want them both gone

Umm K-train....why no thoughts on Redman huh???? :hehheh:

K Train
08-16-2010, 12:07 PM
we all know redman is HOF bound.

if he makes the team over summers thats ok with me, summers is a bane of my very existence.

K Train
08-16-2010, 12:09 PM
oh and david johnson has no hands but the man is a crushing blocker

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Thought you didn't like Redman???? Maybe i'm thinking of someone else on here... :dunno:

K Train
08-16-2010, 01:00 PM
i think hes overrated preseason hype that everyone likes to jump on board because hes a preseason game hero but i hardly hate him.

i hate summer, el, hood, urbik, clark, battle, summers, urbik, summers, leftwich, summers, hartwig, el, and summers....but i have no problem with a preseason hero like redman, i just dont think hes anything special

coldrolled
08-16-2010, 01:07 PM
oh and david johnson has no hands but the man is a crushing blocker

Summers FB and Redman RB will be on the team.

Bright or Johnson or McHugh, Logan, Vincent, the new RB Wright will miss out.

The receviers are the harder choice.
Brown and Sanders have to stay, we would lose them on the PS.

The 9 or 10 linebackers are the really hard choice.
Sylvester would be stolen off the PS also.
Bailey??

K Train
08-16-2010, 01:10 PM
summers blows....david johnson is a crushing lead blocker....absolutely dominate. mchugh is solid all around but not nearly as a masterful blocker.

theres no way summers and redman both make the team, not with mendenhall, moore, dwyer, and both of those guys inability to play FB or block at all.

summers is terrible, redman is a preseason hero. id take the hype with redman over the fail of summers

redzone redman is a better nickname than frank the tank so redman wins

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2010, 01:15 PM
i think hes overrated preseason hype that everyone likes to jump on board because hes a preseason game hero but i hardly hate him.

i hate summer, el, hood, urbik, clark, battle, summers, urbik, summers, leftwich, summers, hartwig, el, and summers....but i have no problem with a preseason hero like redman, i just dont think hes anything special

Thats alot of hate there buddy....let it go.

I personally think Redman wants to make this team so bad. Hope he does.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Steelcity.. one question, why do you think BA has not received a contract extension?

one more: why would you call a run play with Moore up the middle into Suh for his first run?

To answer your questions: I dunno im not the FO. I do know BA isnt as bad as every one makes him out to be... and he may not be as good as last years OFFENSIVE numbers made him out to be. He's somewhere in the middle but this offense is improving and our $100 mil. QB happens to love him and is thriving under his system. You all like to say "thats just Ben scrambling and making something out of nothing"... I say if our Oline was more consistant this offense would be top 5 every year.

I think firing coach Z (old o line coach) and Ligasheshky (sp. the old ST coach) were the right moves. It also shows the staff "if you dont produce, you will be replaced". By the way, since everyone is so quick to kick a Co-ordinator and Tomlin for every little thing, answer me this:

With the way our defense performed in the 4th quarter of about every game last year, why arent you calling for the head of... nevermind i wont even go there! But you get my gist... and dont give me that **** about Troy and Aaron being hurt. That defense was top notch between the 1st and 3rd quarters. Most of you just dont like BA because its easy to hate on him for his past teams and replacing a well liked OC in Whiz. And you'll stick by Lebeau (rightfully so, i do too) even after this defense was abused late in every game. Its easy to sit back and say "Why run a toss on 3rd and 2?" after the fact. But did you forget the rest of our short yardage conversions that were blown up either running up the middle or a Play action sack?

Point is our oline has been suspect and thats makes it hard for the skill positions to execute. Tha was evident when Leftwhich was in there Saturday. When its a running down/short yardage situation and a straight dive/ toss sweep gets stuffed, ya dont blame the OC or HC! Ya blame the line for not executing.

--- Added 8/16/2010 at 11:23 AM ---

Summers FB and Redman RB will be on the team.

Bright or Johnson or McHugh, Logan, Vincent, the new RB Wright will miss out.

The receviers are the harder choice.
Brown and Sanders have to stay, we would lose them on the PS.

The 9 or 10 linebackers are the really hard choice.
Sylvester would be stolen off the PS also.
Bailey??

Agree with all that! Bailey is a speacial teams stud that may be expendable if a few guys like Butler, Sly, Worilds, Thad and the likes can contribute on ST's as they do at their positions. Bailey is a bum at LB and like i said before. Im not sure if we have roster space for a guy who ONLY contributes on STs.

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2010, 01:28 PM
To answer your questions: I dunno im not the FO. I do know BA isnt as bad as every one makes him out to be... and he may not be as good as last years OFFENSIVE numbers made him out to be. He's somewhere in the middle but this offense is improving and our $100 mil. QB happens to love him and is thriving under his system. You all like to say "thats just Ben scrambling and making something out of nothing"... I say if our Oline was more consistant this offense would be top 5 every year.

I think firing coach Z (old o line coach) and Ligasheshky (sp. the old ST coach) were the right moves. It also shows the staff "if you dont produce, you will be replaced". By the way, since everyone is so quick to kick a Co-ordinator and Tomlin for every little thing, answer me this:

With the way our defense performed in the 4th quarter of about every game last year, why arent you calling for the head of... nevermind i wont even go there! But you get my gist... and dont give me that **** about Troy and Aaron being hurt. That defense was top notch between the 1st and 3rd quarters. Most of you just dont like BA because its easy to hate on him for his past teams and replacing a well liked OC in Whiz. And you'll stick by Lebeau (rightfully so, i do too) even after this defense was abused late in every game. Its easy to sit back and say "Why run a toss on 3rd and 2?" after the fact. But did you forget the rest of our short yardage conversions that were blown up either running up the middle or a Play action sack?

Point is our oline has been suspect and thats makes it hard for the skill positions to execute. Tha was evident when Leftwhich was in there Saturday. When its a running down/short yardage situation and a straight dive/ toss sweep gets stuffed, ya dont blame the OC or HC! Ya blame the line for not executing.

I agree with all of this!!! Not a huge fan of BA BUT it's not all his fault...Love what you wrote here!!! :yellowthumb:

coldrolled
08-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Agree with all that! Bailey is a speacial teams stud that may be expendable if a few guys like Butler, Sly, Worilds, Thad and the likes can contribute on ST's as they do at their positions. Bailey is a bum at LB and like i said before. Im not sure if we have roster space for a guy who ONLY contributes on STs.

I like Crezdon Butler, he may send Burnett to another team.

roosterray
08-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Tonight I will watch the game to it's entirity however what I watched on NFL network yesterday had me impressed with the young guys....First string OLine is ridiculous once again! Leftwich looked like crap...liking what Dixon was bringing to the table. LOVE what Redman was doing...man he really wants to make this team and you can tell. Loved Brown and Sanders...I need to look more at Pouncey and Hood...I do have a hard time watching EVERYTHING all at once. :duh:

The new guys just impressed me and you can see how much they want to make this team...perhaps the Veterans should take some lessons...should be a very interesting pre season!! :yesnod:

Hood did well at DT he was getting good push. When you watch Pouncey, he looks fantastic against the 2nd unit. Never got embarrassed and is looking like he should be our Center. Hartwig got blown up on the first run. Its time to move forward with Pouncey if he continues to impress. I thought the young WR and DBs did well.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Thats alot of hate there buddy....let it go.

KTrain isnt willing to do that! Lol! Once he hates... its all over!!!

LOL, i understand not liking a player. There has been lots of players i didnt like from the day they were drafted/aquired/signed whatever. Nate Washington was one of them. He was soft, he had no ability to make a "hands" catch and shyed away from contact on every incident he could. But when he was the best option as a #3 WR, i admitted it and cheered for him anyway. I hated the drafting of Matt Spaeth! I like him as a player but he is wasting away on our roster instead of making plays with a team who would use him. He's a John Mackey Award winning All American thats been riding the pine behind one of the best TE's in the league. Its a shame he deserves a shot somewhere he can play, cause he's not beating Miller.

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Hood did well at DT he was getting good push. When you watch Pouncey, he looks fantastic against the 2nd unit. Never got embarrassed and is looking like he should be our Center. Hartwig got blown up on the first run. Its time to move forward with Pouncey if he continues to impress. I thought the young WR and DBs did well.

Thanks for the update! Pouncey sounds great! I have such a hard time looking at every positon!! :lol:

K Train
08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
i basically only watched pouncey on offense, and really every run redman had went right behind pouncey....he just created sweet sexual magic for all but 11 offensive snaps

andyg1984
08-16-2010, 02:09 PM
-pouncey=pro-bowler
-gibson = beast ..
-please start dixon
-ike looked a little off ..
-the two young WR's are good, enough to re-replace rel
-sigh .. i cant beleive i was pro-urbik at one point .. just pathetic ..
-ro reason for summers with dj blocking like he can

--- Added 8/16/2010 at 12:09 PM ---

i basically only watched pouncey on offense, and really every run redman had went right behind pouncey....he just created sweet sexual magic for all but 11 offensive snaps

sweet sexual magic ... is that going to be the phrase for the pouncey effect ? i love it lol ..

venus88591
08-19-2010, 04:15 AM
summers is terrible, redman is a preseason hero.

hi everybody

To introduce you to a network shopping platform

coldrolled
08-19-2010, 01:33 PM
summers is terrible, redman is a preseason hero.

hi everybody

To introduce you to a network shopping platform

from the coach...

Camp Notes:

The Steelers also were happy with Frank Summers's play at fullback. Wilson said the coaches want Summers to make "sure he takes the next step in terms of alignment, assignments and adjustments. He's doing a real good job. He didn't have any lead block opportunities. He had one block and he was one for one. He did a real nice job in limited snaps he had."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10230...#ixzz0wzHlNoW1

JensK
08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
By the way, since everyone is so quick to kick a Co-ordinator and Tomlin for every little thing, answer me this:

The thing is, BA have not, at any point, shown that he has a clue - not when it comes to playcalling, nor when it comes to the media. He havnt really dont anything great community-wise etc etc. LeBeau have been a proven coach and player and person (etc etc) for a bunch of years and done amazing things for the Steelers, hence we don't give up on him that easily. Same reason people werent ready to throw Ike Taylor right out of the door after last year, as he truly played horrible - Because we know how he can play, and we know that he is a great team player and so on - BA is proven - proven terrible.