PDA

View Full Version : Position battles to watch in camp & preseason

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Pouncey will hopefully beat out Hartwig but if not then he needs to get in at RG.

El will probably make the starting 3rd WR just based on his experience but Sanders will be the 4th and most likely be in more and more as the year goes on.

Hood won't unseat Keisel or Smith but if he keeps up the good camp, and does well in preseason then Lebeau will get him more reps by rotating him in more often.

Gay is more and more a Nickel back these days, with Burnett and Lewis getting additional reps and the return of McFadden we could have a formidable group on our hands.

Im really looking forward to seeing Flozell lock down the RT job and help this group finally become a force.

What's you thoughts on who is going to jump forward as preseason starts?

Big T
08-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Antonio Brown returning kicks...

I wasn't quitw sure if he could win the job before I went to Latrobe. After seeing him in camp, in person, and seeing how quick and decisive he is, I can really see him winning the KR/PR job.

I even asked him about it when he was signing my football at the night practice. I said " you're lookin quick as hell out there." he said " thanks man, i appreciate it." I said " you gonna be returning kicks?" He said "Yes sir... Yes sir"

I hope so...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Logan definitely needs some competition out there; he came on like gang busters in camp/preseason last year and showed flashes during the season but he also fizzled out a good number of times. I would like to see Brown back there and have us finally get a legitimate threat for our Special Teams. It sure would be nice to start out somewhere besides our own 20 or worse now and then on kickoffs if nothing else..lol

steelcitysfinestXL
08-11-2010, 08:16 AM
On defense i dont really see any battles for STARTING positions. I see alot DEPTH CHART battles at back up CB with Lewis playing well, Gay tryiing to get back to his '08 form. On the DL, Ziggy basically being a guy who WILL get playing time at any position. Then the ILB rotation of 4 starter capable guys. The OLB depth with Timmons (when not in the BUCK) Gibson tearing camp up and Worilds. Then alot of roster spot battles for guys like Madison (who may be expendable, like last season, if he cant compete at corner) Sly, Worthington and a few others.

I think the Offensive battles are a bit more interesting. #3 WR is porbley El's to lose. But i can see Sanders playing ALOT as Ward plays so well in the slot and Sanders is learning inside and outside positions. With Miller and Hines in the slots and Wallace on the outside, i'd rather have another burner (E.Sanders) opposite Wallace, than a 3rd posession WR in El. I like Wallace/Sanders and Ward/Miller as a 4-wide set ALOT!

OL is really where things heat up. Preseason games and practice reps will tell the tale of C and RG positions. As much as we expect Pouncey to surpass Hartwig at C i just dont see it happening before game 1. Pouncey has looked good/not great so far, and thats expected. As much as i LOATHE Justin Hartwig, he may be our best option to win now at C. I will be keeping a close eye in Legursky and Pouncey because i see them as the future of out interior line.

Layin the wood
08-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Please GOD, somebody beat out Hartwig for the C position!!!

K Train
08-11-2010, 10:41 AM
On defense i dont really see any battles for STARTING positions. I see alot DEPTH CHART battles at back up CB with Lewis playing well, Gay tryiing to get back to his '08 form. On the DL, Ziggy basically being a guy who WILL get playing time at any position. Then the ILB rotation of 4 starter capable guys. The OLB depth with Timmons (when not in the BUCK) Gibson tearing camp up and Worilds. Then alot of roster spot battles for guys like Madison (who may be expendable, like last season, if he cant compete at corner) Sly, Worthington and a few others.

I think the Offensive battles are a bit more interesting. #3 WR is porbley El's to lose. But i can see Sanders playing ALOT as Ward plays so well in the slot and Sanders is learning inside and outside positions. With Miller and Hines in the slots and Wallace on the outside, i'd rather have another burner (E.Sanders) opposite Wallace, than a 3rd posession WR in El. I like Wallace/Sanders and Ward/Miller as a 4-wide set ALOT!

OL is really where things heat up. Preseason games and practice reps will tell the tale of C and RG positions. As much as we expect Pouncey to surpass Hartwig at C i just dont see it happening before game 1. Pouncey has looked good/not great so far, and thats expected. As much as i LOATHE Justin Hartwig, he may be our best option to win now at C. I will be keeping a close eye in Legursky and Pouncey because i see them as the future of out interior line.
theres no way in hell thats true....seriously i would rather have 4 olinemen, at least then they wouldnt be able to assume the center could handle his assingments

steelcitysfinestXL
08-11-2010, 01:16 PM
theres no way in hell thats true....seriously i would rather have 4 olinemen, at least then they wouldnt be able to assume the center could handle his assingments

BELIEVE ME... it hurt me to type that, but NO ONE has said "Pouncey looks like a lock to start a center." I pray he can win the job, cause theres NO WAY hs gets manhandled like Hartwig has since day one! But i was hoping for some good news by now and there hasnt been even with Hartwig being injured early in camp. I still think there is PLENTY of time for Pouncey to play his way into that role though:crossfingers:

K Train
08-11-2010, 01:25 PM
i hope pouncey gets the job, they say hes been better at center since he can just lock in on the DT, where as he has a litttle more to do at guard.

but theres nothing you can say that could convince me legursky is a worse option than hartwig, im being serious when i say a ball on the ground would be more effective....att hartwig does is get in the way of the QB or RB when hes blown back play after play. at least legursky is a powerful, mean little dude

LatrobePA
08-11-2010, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't let Hartwig wash my balls let alone snap them to my 100mil QB!!

steelcitysfinestXL
08-11-2010, 01:38 PM
but theres nothing you can say that could convince me legursky is a worse option than hartwig, at least legursky is a powerful, mean little dude

Ive been sayin that since OTA's man... prob the strongest lineman on the team and he doesnt get moved backwards. He is big mean and nasty!!! Kemo, Legursky and Pouncey in the middle would be mammouth!!!!

K Train
08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
hes literally the worst ive ever seen play center, i cant even fathom the idea of the team considering letting him start, id trade him for mahan and i mean that

LatrobePA
08-11-2010, 01:47 PM
hes literally the worst ive ever seen play center, i cant even fathom the idea of the team considering letting him start, id trade him for mahan and i mean that

LOL, that's drastic!

steelcitysfinestXL
08-11-2010, 01:48 PM

DAMN SON!!! lol, i dont know if i'd say that but Hartwig is a bumb and a half. Trust me im pulling for pouncey and legursky... im almost to the point where i'd wish BA/MT/Kugler, who ever makes that call, would just throw them in there and let them take their lumps now and grow as a unit... cause i really hate watching Hartwig week in and week out!

HUNT4SEVEN
08-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Hartpig is WORTHLESS plain and simple:yesnod: just look at his stats since he has been here, Pouncey needs to at center this year, Legusky/Foster at RG imo the line should look like this LT Starks LG Kemo C Pouncey RG Legursky/Foster RT Adams/J.Scott...

--- Added 8/12/2010 at 04:01 PM ---

Exactly:clap::tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Legursky has always been my guy and if Pouncey isn't starting at center to open the season then I really do hope its Legursky at center.....I hope but I doubt it.....

As for Sanders and I'm serious I think these pre-season games he will show that he will be the number 3 WR for this team........He seems to have a fast learning curve and the offense needs his speed.......I think in time he will be able to do the same things Holmes did for this offense.....I don't know how soon but he reminds some what of Holmes....I would like to see Brown make this team and be the number four WR but I don't know if he beats out Logan as kick returner.......If Logan does make the team again then I hope Arians uses him more in the offense......

I would like to see Keenan Lewis win a starters role as the 2nd corner then put McFadden as the nickel corner......

Goodfrom55
08-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Being strong is a great attribute, but the O-line is about quickness and leverage / position. As long as Pouncey knows the playbook and can make the calls that a Center needs to make, then I have no problem with him playing Center. But it must come instinctively; if he has to think, then it's not going to work.