PDA

View Full Version : Cowher says there could be 2 new starters vs the browns

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 01:40 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_482637.html

Steelers coach Bill Cowher said there could be two more new starters for Thursday night's game against the Cleveland Browns at Heinz Field.

Rookie free safety Anthony Smith could make his first NFL start, replacing Ryan Clark, who suffered a groin injury in Sunday's 20-3 win over Tampa Bay, said Cowher.

Also, rookie wide receiver Santonio Holmes will replace Cedrick Wilson in the lineup if Wilson can't play because of a high ankle sprain suffered against Tampa Bay, said Cowher.

Wide receiver Hines Ward and safety Troy Polamalu, who both suffered knee injuries against Baltimore, are also expected to miss the Cleveland game.

Nate Washington started for Ward, and Tyrone Carter replaced Polamalu in the lineup.

"Ryan Clark and Cedrick Wilson, I'm not sure they'll be able to make it on a short week. Certainly even with Troy and Hines," Cowher said. "We're still in the process of seeing where we are with the injuries."

Cowher is considering adding some players to address roster depth.

The Steelers will face a familiar opponent this week. The Steelers defeated the Browns 24-20 last month in Cleveland, but the Browns have a new quarterback, Derek Anderson, who replaced injured starter Charlie Frye and authored a 31-28 overtime win over Kansas City on Sunday.

"He was impressive," Cowher said of Anderson, who was 12-of-21 for 171 yards and led scoring drives of 81, 70 and 63 yards.

Anderson is expected to make his first NFL start against the Steelers.

"What they did to come back from 14 points down against Kansas City. He had a big scramble in overtime to set up the winning field goal," Cowher said. "Showed really good composure."

Cowher changed the Steelers preparation for Cleveland. In three previous Thursday games, Cowher gave the players Monday off. This time, however, Cowher scheduled a Monday practice. Several players who attended the funeral for Johnnie Bettis, the father of former teammate Jerome Bettis, in Detroit, were scheduled to return in time for practice.

The Steelers were 0-3 under Cowher in three previous Thursday games played during the season.

"A little different (this time)," Cowher said of his game-week preparation. "Today is kind of like a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesay all in one.

"It's important that we get thinking right now on Cleveland."

Im looking forward to seeing what Smith can do back there, this experience will serve his well for next year too. Santonio should be starting for Cedric anyways IMO.

This is going to be a make shift WR and DB corps this thursday so it's going to be interesting. There's no way we take Anderson as a QB for granted because he can light it up as he's shown so we need to pressure him out the wazoo and keep his *** on the turf or running for his life as much as possible.

House of Steel
12-05-2006, 11:22 AM
We will be fine, Anderson will be dinner for the DL and the secondary.

AZ_Steeler
12-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Well duh!! We knew there would be new starters given the injuries this team has sustained. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Smith can do as a starter... it's just to bad I won't get to see the game :cursin: Might just have to find a "family" environment and go out that night :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Not sure this game on thursday will be a " family" affair :lol: Well depending on your family, yeah maybe it could be ;)

AZ_Steeler
12-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I was thinking of a family place that might show the game that is baby friendly! :bigthumb:

Steelersfan
12-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Come on up AZ! My wife would take the baby off your hands for a few hours. She's a sucker for babies....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Then swing by PA on your way home to grab a coffee for the road ! :greengrin:

AZ_Steeler
12-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the offers guys :bigthumb: but that's just a little to far to go to watch a game :lol:

Prosdo
12-05-2006, 01:38 PM
You could always go to a place like Damon's. They will have it on for sure.

Steelersfan
12-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Well if you change your mind don't bother with the sunblock.....lol Snowed up here just enough to cover the ground yesterday and is 28 right now. Last Friday I think it was like 60!.....lol

House of Steel
12-05-2006, 04:49 PM
We had 7 inches of snow this morning from the Lake Effect, it was 74 that one Friday and went to 34 the next day. It is 18 out now wind chill at 2 above zero.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Damn I thought it was chilly here, you can keep that stuff out there dude ! :yesnod:

AZ_Steeler
12-05-2006, 05:52 PM
It's pretty chilly out my way too... it's about 70 with clear blue skys and a slight breeze from the west :)

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 05:57 PM
It's pretty chilly out my way too... it's about 70 with clear blue skys and a slight breeze from the west :)

Better bundle up, you don't want to get sunburned again !!! :evilshake: :greengrin:

AZ_Steeler
12-05-2006, 06:00 PM
It's better now it turned into a tan! :D:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 06:03 PM
You're killin me here ! :lol: It's cold and ugly, and I can't ride and there you sit in beautiful spring like weather just soaking it all up. Damn that must be tough to deal with !

AZ_Steeler
12-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I just went for a ride the other day on the bike... perfect weather!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Dude that is so bad karma to rub it in the face of another rider ! :lol: You better pray to the motorcycle gods for forgiveness :topgun:

AZ_Steeler
12-05-2006, 06:28 PM
:pray: please forgive me :pray:

:lol: :topgun:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Wow did we ever :hijack: this thread ! :lol:

AZ_Steeler
12-05-2006, 06:54 PM
We went HOS on this thread!! :lol:

The good thing though with the Steelers having 2 new starters this week is the that the Browns will have a new QB in as well. the Steelers 2 spots are not as critical as the QB position plus a rookie safety (Smith) going against a new QB... I'll take Smith in that match up :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 08:21 PM
So long as our front 7 gets in his face all day, our DB's will be fine. But if they don't and he gets confident and into a rythmn it could be pretty crazy and be another down to the wire, smashing remotes, screaming at the TV affair.

oh wait, that's every week this year, nevermind ! :lol:

House of Steel
12-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Blame me for hijacking the thread. Who the hell started the bike talks. Chris, 70 degrees is not cold, that is perfect. Damn I would be golfing, FORE!!!!

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Blame me for hijacking the thread. Who the hell started the bike talks. Chris, 70 degrees is not cold, that is perfect. Damn I would be golfing, FORE!!!!

Yes we will blame you HOS. We need to blame someone so it might as well be you. :lol:

House of Steel
12-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Oh really???? :evil:

House of Steel
12-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Yes we will blame you HOS. We need to blame someone so it might as well be you. :lol:

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

Steelersfan
12-06-2006, 01:50 AM
11 degrees here right now. Put on a snowmobile suit and you're all set Matt!