PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts

xxxsteelernation
08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Ok here is a couple senerio that has been going though my mind lately one good and one possibly bad.
First what if Dixon does win the starting position and his offense starts blowing opponents out on a major level. Should we really hand the reigns over to ben if we are doing so well? (remeber when Dixon was at oregon they only had a couple games where they scored less than 40)
Secondly Are starting recivers have pretty much been determined with Ward, Wallace, And randle el. Problem is that is the what we have for reciver. yea we have battle, tyler, brown,London, Sanders, Williams
now sanders and brown i hope they have a breakout year but what if they don't? what happend more if ward or wallace go down? (knock on wood) If either of them go down and we don't have someone step up like wallace did last year we are in trouble.

igor0190
08-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Ben and Dixon are in a different league. No matter how well Dixon or Leftwich play, It is Big Ben's team. He is the leader. Nothing on the field is gonna change that.

#2 Let's hope Sanders can prove he's top 3 material. One very important person you missed... HEATH MILLER! With Miller, Ward, Wallace, and ____. There should be more than enough balls to go around IF the Steelers actually do re-commit to the run game.

Steel Trap86
08-07-2010, 01:08 AM
lol this is crazy, Leftwich will start at least the first 2 games and if he really can't get anything going and Dixon comes in and shines, he'll be traded. Mendenhall is taking over these reigns while Ben is out, not dixon imo

DanRooney
08-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Proving my point that there are actually stupid questions.

Dixon can throw for 5 TDs and 400 yards per game and still won't be here next year. By all means he won't do this (he can't complete half of his passes for god's sake), but in a delusional Steeler homer world he could and Ben will still be the starting QB come week 4.

xxxsteelernation
08-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Proving my point that there are actually stupid questions.

Dixon can throw for 5 TDs and 400 yards per game and still won't be here next year. By all means he won't do this (he can't complete half of his passes for god's sake), but in a delusional Steeler homer world he could and Ben will still be the starting QB come week 4.

you cant count dropped passes they were on target just dropped

DanRooney
08-07-2010, 02:59 AM
you cant count dropped passes they were on target just dropped

Ah yeah sorry forgot that interception that should have been returned for a TD on Dixon's very first pass. It dropped right out of the defenders hands. :yesnod:

xxxsteelernation
08-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Ah yeah sorry forgot that interception that should have been returned for a TD on Dixon's very first pass. It dropped right out of the defenders hands. :yesnod:

and how much time did he have to prepare. Oh yea 2 or 3 hours. that was it and still managed to almost win the game. Yea the first pass was just nerves. then he settled down and was throwing lazers. not his fault that sweed couldn't catch a house if it was thrown at him. even hines and holms had some perfectly placed balls and dropped them. So the 40% percent rating is not all dixon

Iron City South
08-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Charlie Batch has a bright future ahead of him in this league. His time is NOW !! There's no reason Charlie won't pass Ben on the depth chart.

A dumb question deserves a dumb answer.

steelersbabex25
08-07-2010, 01:32 PM
and how much time did he have to prepare. Oh yea 2 or 3 hours. that was it and still managed to almost win the game. Yea the first pass was just nerves. then he settled down and was throwing lazers. not his fault that sweed couldn't catch a house if it was thrown at him. even hines and holms had some perfectly placed balls and dropped them. So the 40% percent rating is not all dixon

He had his entire life to prepare. Dixon could beat out every opponent the first 4 games 50-0 and there's no chance he would even be considered after Ben gets back for more than a second string qb. Until Ben retires, gets traded, or dies (knock on wood), he will be the number 1 quarterback on the Steelers.

DanRooney
08-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Did you watch the game? :nono:

lol @ 2 to 3 hours.

Real Deal Steel
08-07-2010, 06:36 PM
What some people are forgeting is that Dixon was young and with reps, he's going to get better. People are talking like Dixon has reached his ceiling when the fact is you only saw a QB who was in his second season with virtually no experience with the starters other then the Ravens game.

No one knows how much better (or worse) Dixon's game has gotten. And we won't know until he gets a chance to play with the starters. But the odds are greater that Dixon's game has taken a leap upward like most 3rd year QB's do.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-09-2010, 09:54 AM
What some people are forgeting is that Dixon was young and with reps, he's going to get better. People are talking like Dixon has reached his ceiling when the fact is you only saw a QB who was in his second season with virtually no experience with the starters other then the Ravens game.

No one knows how much better (or worse) Dixon's game has gotten. And we won't know until he gets a chance to play with the starters. But the odds are greater that Dixon's game has taken a leap upward like most 3rd year QB's do.

:plus1: Good post... you just cant talk to some people on here! Its not even worth it... there are a few names here that when i see they are on a post, i prob wont even open the thread. Cause you know they are just belittling someone then getting ***-hurt when someone challanges their "authority"... sad really!

coldrolled
08-09-2010, 10:23 AM
:plus1: Good post... you just cant talk to some people on here! Its not even worth it... there are a few names here that when i see they are on a post, i prob wont even open the thread. Cause you know they are just belittling someone then getting ***-hurt when someone challanges their "authority"... sad really!

Dixon's best news is the OC not getting a contract extension.... :crossfingers:

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-09-2010, 07:53 PM
We lost that game last year because of BA and Dixon. Enough said.

SteelDad
08-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Let's all remember something for a minute here.... The consensus seems to be that BL will be the starter and that we should, at the very least, be 2-2 coming out of that stretch with the thinking BR only gets 4 games. In making that assumption about BL, aren't we also basically saying, "Our running game and defense will carry us" during BR's suspension? I can count on one hand the times our running game carried us last season and as far as our defense goes, this is a 'put up or shut up' season.

I really don't see BL throwing for 300 plus and 3 TD's each of the first four weeks anymore than I can see Mendy rushing for 150 in each game. While I beleive our rushing attack will be better, I don't think we should be hanging our hat on that and that's why I would like DD to start. Gives us a completely different style and another runner.

DanRooney
08-09-2010, 09:36 PM

You can say that about a lot of QBs around the league. Colt Brennan, Brian Brohm,John David Booty, etc. There is nothing special about Dixon and he won't be more than a starter on a terrible team that will eventually be a career backup. His career will pan out exactly like Troy Smiths.

SteelDad
08-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Bottomline is that the staff and FO views Leftwich as the safer play. Make just enough throws, take care of the football, and don't lose the game. I'm really hoping that they have some packages for DD this year. Why they haven't to this point is beyond me.

igor0190
08-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Bottomline is that the staff and FO views Leftwich as the safer play. Make just enough throws, take care of the football, and don't lose the game. I'm really hoping that they have some packages for DD this year. Why they haven't to this point is beyond me.

Yeah... the safe play. Exactly the reason we lost to Baltimore last year with Dixon in the game. Arians making "the safe" play. The easily predictable safe play.

IMO, safe loses football games.

Real Deal Steel
08-10-2010, 01:32 AM
You can say that about a lot of QBs around the league. Colt Brennan, Brian Brohm,John David Booty, etc. There is nothing special about Dixon and he won't be more than a starter on a terrible team that will eventually be a career backup. His career will pan out exactly like Troy Smiths.

I have to disagree with you Gravity. Dixon isn't a David Booty, Brian Brohm or Colt Brennan. Dixon proved to be a very decent QB with only 3 hours of prep time for the Ravens. And all things considered, did a great job. The one pick at the end cost us the game but the game was right there for the taking.

And Colt Brennan, Brian Brohm nor David Booty could not have done as well.

Also, take note that as of right now, Dixon is out playing Leftwhich in camp so saying Leftwhich is going to be the starter is a little premature. But I feel good about either as the starter because I think we will go 2-2 or 3-1 during Ben's absence.

JensK
08-10-2010, 04:57 AM
I have to disagree with you Gravity. Dixon isn't a David Booty, Brian Brohm or Colt Brennan. Dixon proved to be a very decent QB with only 3 hours of prep time for the Ravens. And all things considered, did a great job. The one pick at the end cost us the game but the game was right there for the taking.

And Colt Brennan, Brian Brohm nor David Booty could not have done as well.

Also, take note that as of right now, Dixon is out playing Leftwhich in camp so saying Leftwhich is going to be the starter is a little premature. But I feel good about either as the starter because I think we will go 2-2 or 3-1 during Ben's absence.

To be perfectly fair, he did know it a day in advantage, and all QBs are supposed to view the same amount of video footage as the starting QB, however, mentally its not the easiest game to play. You have a day to mentally get ready to start against argueably the best defense in the league, on their turf in a sunday night game. Thats not an easy situation. No, he did not play a 300y 4td game, but he held his own, and he did not loose the game up untill OT, where he did make a bad throw, which happens. Ben have lost his fair share of games for us as well. I just don't see how Dixon can be a bad player judging on one single performance. If that was the case, Big Ben should've never gotten the chance to play again after SB XL!

Real Deal Steel
08-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Exactly Jensk. And when people make statements like what Gravity did, it ruins his validity in anything else he says. Dixon did well if all things are concedered against the Ravens.

LarryNJ
08-11-2010, 08:31 AM

:plus1:

I'm all for Dixon starting over BL and if he doesn't produce put in BL. If he does and he shines he can be proud as he stands on the sideline with his clip board when Ben returns. This team has many things, but a QB controversy no matter how good Ben's replacement plays isn't one of them. Unless we pick up Manning, Brady, Brees, or Rivers.

coldrolled
08-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Arians will play it this way... the first Qb to fumble or throw one INT will be in the dog house. Dixon vs BL

The steelers need dixon to be the #2 for all kinds of good future scenarios... ABA (after bruce arians)

BL brings... zero upside and maybe a win more than Dixon.

But win or lose dixon develops more in each NFL game he plays. we will need that.... ABA

XLJohn
08-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Arians will play it this way... the first Qb to fumble or throw one INT will be in the dog house. Dixon vs BL

The steelers need dixon to be the #2 for all kinds of good future scenarios... ABA (after bruce arians)

BL brings... zero upside and maybe a win more than Dixon.

But win or lose dixon develops more in each NFL game he plays. we will need that.... ABA
AMEN TO DAT

DanRooney
08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
You guys are delusional. No matter what I say I get the same argument on loop and it's a false one about a lack of preparation of guy who's been on our team for 2 and a half years prior.

I hope Dixon wins the job now just to prove that he is a lousy QB. And quit saying Leftwich was terrible in Tampa. He had to win games there because their whole team is mediocre. He won't have to do that here with Mendenhall and our defense. All he has to do is not make mistakes.

LatrobePA
08-11-2010, 03:43 PM
BL & DD both suck!

coldrolled
08-11-2010, 03:47 PM
You guys are delusional. No matter what I say I get the same argument on loop and it's a false one about a lack of preparation for a guy who's been on our team for 2 and a half years prior.

I hope Dixon wins the job now just to prove that he is a lousy QB.

gravity, we are so spoiled... really. one game and hes lousy??

most Qb's get 16 games as a starter to see what they have in them...

Sanchez, russell, bradford, flacco, ryan, quinn, go back a bit, odonnell, malone, stewart, maddox.....

everyone gets 8-16 games before coaches praise them or shelve them.

one game and he loses in OT against one of the best Defenses in the league without Troy... and hes lousy... he was our #2...

:thinking:

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2010, 04:03 PM

Sanchez, russell, bradford, flacco, ryan, quinn, go back a bit, odonnell, malone, stewart, maddox.....

one game and he loses in OT against one of the best Defenses in the league without Troy... and hes lousy... he was our #2...

My point exactly in the camp thread....I think Dixon should be #2...I mean this guys first NFL start (I believe either MNF or SNF) and he plays with such poise and relaxed against one of the best defenses in the NFL and because of which I feel was bad play calling loses the game and Gravity thinks he sucks??????

Like Dion says.....Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LatrobePA
08-11-2010, 04:35 PM
We have only 1 true starter on the team, and 50% of the league is the same. You'll never make a #2 or 3 look or play like a number 1, so we all just need to accept that fact and hope for the best!

DanRooney
08-11-2010, 06:10 PM

I'm sorry but I'm not one to throw away a full season of football to see if a quarterback is good or not. I called Jason Campbell being one of the lousiest QB's in the league 5 years ago after his first few games, and people are still treating him like an abused stepchild who hasn't had a chance yet. That's a 6 year player. You always hear the 'he played well' excuse when you see him going 14-20 with an 80 passer rating but they don't realize half of his completions are short dumpoffs on 3rd down when defenses are playing cover 3. That's why the Redskins nation was the most delusional fanbase in the NFL. I don't want ours to follow that route.

Dixon has showed me nothing more than he's a prototypical run-first, pass second quarterback with a weak arm and highly inaccurate. Hey sounds familiar doesn't it Vince Young? Look at his passes. Very low velocity and not a lot of trajectory. It looks like a sidearm pass.

--- Added 8/11/2010 at 04:10 PM ---

BL & DD both suck!

^this :yellowthumb: May the man that has the best chance of helping us win the first four games at camp get the job but a lot of you guys are putting all of your eggs in one basket.

K Train
08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
your a little harsh on dixon, im not asking him to take over the world but i think he can do fine for a few games which is what you are supposed to get out of a backup

xxxsteelernation
08-12-2010, 03:40 AM
This is why Double D should run the offense instead of leftwhich for the first 4 to 6 games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DeznD1ccv4
Anybody remeber this game?

Those passes were perfect strikes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oBOZq9uHR0&feature=related
Dixon can actually get dodge rushers and make play's all lefty can do is throw the ball out of bounce or over recivers heads or at their feet.

DanRooney
08-12-2010, 04:08 AM
This is why Double D should run the offense instead of leftwhich for the first 4 to 6 games.

Dixon can actually get dodge rushers and make play's all lefty can do is throw the ball out of bounce or over recivers heads or at their feet.

Tempted to post a Limas Sweed highlight video from Texas in response :yesnod:

coldrolled
08-12-2010, 08:03 AM

BA hasnt even made a few plays for dixon to be in for 2 years.... its all BA.. the confidence destroyer... the moron..

hopefully we have sweed, dixon, urbik, summers, redman, brown, grisham, dwyers, legursky, etc... stay another year so the new OC can fix them or dump them, i would hate to see these guys on other teams making things work. we spent some good draft picks on them under BA rule.

Zachintosh66
08-12-2010, 08:46 AM
we have sweed, dixon, urbik, summers, redman, brown, grisham, dwyers, legursky

sweed = bust
dixon = may get a shot but not behind Ben
urbik = joke
summers = horrible
redman = overrated
brown = will actually be decent someday
grisham = just a roster filler
dwyers = hopefully wins our short yardage job
legursky = fringe player at best, cant even beat out hartwig

coldrolled
08-12-2010, 09:18 AM
In the Trib today..... you read this... and have to say WTF...

Bruce Arians promised the Steelers will run the ball better this year. To do that, his offense is doing things they have never done before in training camp.

Because the Steelers struggled getting a running game going against 4-3 defensive fronts a year ago and have 10 games against teams that use four down linemen and three linebackers this year, they are preparing themselves now.

The offense spent a good portion of Wednesday morning's practice running team drills against a 4-3 front to get the players used to the look.

Not only was it the first time this camp they have done such a thing, it was the first time they have ever worked on it during practice.

"In years past, we wouldn't even practice it," Arians said. "We would just go play them. It is a real disadvantage to the offensive line."

The Steelers' offense goes up against their 3-4 defense every day during practice. When the games come around against teams that don't run that front, they are at a disadvantage.

"It is very hard for these guys to see a 3-4 blitzing defense the entire spring and the entire camp, and then go up against an entirely different defense, especially the assignment part of it in the running game," Arians said.

Seven of the Steelers' worst rushing performances a year ago came against 4-3 teams. Their five best rushing days (202 against Miami, 177 against San Diego, 173 against Denver, 152 against Baltimore, 140 against Cleveland) came against the 3-4.

"We don't get to see that defense (4-3) that much," right guard Trai Essex said. "It is not a big adjustment, but it is good that we are doing this during practice."

The offense doesn't necessarily practice the techniques of a penetrating 4-3 defense during drills, but more along the lines of what to expect out of the defense.

"If you don't practice against it, then you aren't going to get better," tackle Max Starks said.

The Steelers will get a good look at the 4-3 during preseason. Three of their four exhibition opponents run the front — Detroit, the New York Giants and Carolina — and the Steelers open the season with three consecutive games against 4-3 teams — Atlanta, Tennessee and Tampa Bay.

"We usually throw the ball pretty well in those situations, but it is something we feel that we have to address," Arians said.

LatrobePA
08-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Another red flag that our OC is f'n brain dead, but what does that say about the HC for allowing this to occur??

K Train
08-12-2010, 09:42 AM
so hes saying they struggled against **** that they didnt prepare for at all?

i dont want to know **** like this

Zachintosh66
08-12-2010, 01:47 PM
"In years past, we wouldn't even practice it," Arians said.

WOW, im a youth football coach and we run against what we are going to see every week... WTF!? If 8-10 yr olds can get it, where in the hell did this guy come from...

:evilshake: :duh: :banging:

LatrobePA
08-12-2010, 01:58 PM
WOW, im a youth football coach and we run against what we are going to see every week... WTF!? If 8-10 yr olds can get it, where in the hell did this guy come from...

:evilshake: :duh: :banging:

I wouldn't let BA coach my dog...He's as stupid as they come!

coldrolled
08-12-2010, 04:27 PM

hopefully he prepares to play and pick apart the opposing teams weaknesses come game times. but sometimes you have to say again.... WTF...

he passes more against the worst run defenses.. if the other team has a third stringer in at CB.. he passes to the other side.... never tests the weak side, other teams would keep hitting the third string CB until he was humiliated...

TampaSteelGirl
08-12-2010, 04:47 PM
I mean BA is kidding right????? :willybs::cursin:

He can't honestly put that out there like that.. now every team with a 4-3 out there is going to know it...

"We usually throw the ball pretty well in those situations, but it is something we feel that we have to address," Arians said.

Ya think?????

coldrolled
08-12-2010, 05:02 PM

and hes saying..... "We would just go play them. It is a real disadvantage to the offensive line."
---------------------------

The offense spent a good portion of Wednesday morning's practice running team drills against a 4-3 front to get the players used to the look.

Not only was it the first time this camp they have done such a thing, it was the first time they have ever worked on it during practice.

"In years past, we wouldn't even practice it," Arians said. "We would just go play them. It is a real disadvantage to the offensive line."

i cant write this stuff any better.... :lol:

xxxsteelernation
08-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Ok, hearing BA's explination for this is like running nails on a chalk board. Send chills up my spine. So we don't prepare for the teams we are faceing, So what do we do just let ben go out there run around and go Ohhh open guy let's throw. No set routes, well we all know they all start out as routes as long as ben holds the ball and makes plays it turns into something. Now the thing that just really baffles me is the 4-3 defense ok why is that so hard to learn you have four of the guy's already in a down position so you know you atleast have to block those four. Then you have to set a couple blocker for the LB's and saftey's hell it's pretty much planned out for ya. Now the way I see it if you can produce against a 3-4 then producing against a 4-3 should be a sinch. I so hope that this is the last year for BA. I know he "led" us to a super bowl win but wow. I remember when we brought on Mike tomlin on as head coach and dan rooney said tomlin bring with him that attitude and Philosophy, and tomlin does for the most part. But BA brings nothing with him that is traditional pittsburgh. We can't run the ball to save our life. Watching the Super bowl, AfC championship game, and the division clinching game against baltimore, we ran the ball just to punt the ball and let the defense create points. I would say the chargers game of that year as well but parker had decent game for a change. I really hate to say it but parker was really misued by arians. IMO parker would have really produced more when a Dan Krider type of fullback as a lead blocker. And god i miss Faneca.

coldrolled
08-13-2010, 08:53 AM
a new thought from BA

Experience may be one factor why the coaching staff seems to have more trust in Leftwich (50 career starts) than it does in Dixon (one start).

And as much improvement he has made while making the transition from a spread to a pro-style offense, Dixon still seems to rely on his legs a little too often when he gets pressured in the pocket.

“I know he can do things with his athletic ability,” Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

Translation: Dixon needs to show more as a pocket passer during the preseason if he wants to close the gap on Leftwich and ultimately overtake him.

xxxsteelernation
08-13-2010, 05:02 PM
No matter if its by a pass or a run, Tomlin wants Dixon to score the touchdown. "He (Dixon) thought there was a strong possibility that he could have (run it into the end zone),"said Tomlin. "We'll look at it on video. Of course in that situation when it is the last play of the game you better be sure you can get it into the end zone."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an interview that Tomlin had and it actually sounds more like tomlin don't care what dixon does as long as he scores.
here's the rest of the article

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b5jrf