PDA

View Full Version : No decision on Big Ben suspension length until after preaseason

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2010, 11:44 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10217/1077941-100.stm

Could Roethlisberger's suspension be fewer than 4 games?
Goodell talks to quarterback, reporters
Thursday, August 05, 2010
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/freed_steelers080510_1_330.jpg
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, right, talks with former coach John Madden, center, and Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Thursday morning at Steelers training camp.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell spoke to reporters this morning at Steelers training camp and appeared to leave the door open that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's suspension could be fewer than four games.
Roethlisberger had been suspended for a minimum of four games and a maximum of six games by Goodell after he was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in Georgia in the spring.
When asked if there was any chance Roethlisberger's suspension could be fewer than four games, Goodell responded: "I'll make that decision later this month, but that's the way it was designed. We'll evaluate all of that at the end of the month."
When he was asked to clarify whether the suspension could be fewer than four games, Goodell was vague: "We'll make that decision on what the suspension is going to be at the end of the month."
Goodell said Roethlisberger has gone above and beyond what the commissioner asked him to do when he was suspended.
"Ben is doing great," Goodell said. "I had a chance to chat with him briefly and hopefully we'll talk again later today. I've been encouraged by what I have seen. He's understanding the seriousness of the issue. I think that's a very positive development."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10217/1077941-100.stm#ixzz0vkMd8EOQ

K Train
08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
seeing this all over the place this morning lol

i hope its 2, that would be awesome.

ben looks pretty lean btw...probably the best shape hes ever been in this early in camp

LatrobePA
08-05-2010, 12:01 PM
I say 2 games too, unless he makes a chick touch his ding-a-ling in Latrobe...

ejsteeler
08-05-2010, 12:24 PM
No decision on Big Ben suspension length until after preaseason
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819897bd/article/no-decision-on-big-ben-suspension-length-until-after-preaseason?module=HP_headlines)

LATROBE, Pa. -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell talked briefly to Ben Roethlisberger during a visit to the Steelers' training camp on Thursday, but Goodell has not yet decided whether the quarterback's suspension for bad behavior will be reduced.

Goodell's camp tour
In addition to visiting Steelers camp in Latrobe, Pa., NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is seeing five teams in three days while riding in John Madden's famed "Cruiser." More ... Goodell won't decide whether to trim the suspension from six to four games until the end of the month. For the second day in a row, he praised Roethlisberger's steps to reshape his life, saying the quarterback has gone beyond what the NFL asked him to do.

Goodell was vague when asked several times if there was a possibility Roethlisberger's suspension could be reduced to fewer than four games. Goodell said the punishment was designed to be a minimum of four games but no final decision will be made until the preseason ends.

Less please!!!....that would be way too good to happen to us. :yesnod:

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Please less Goodell

coldrolled
08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
IMO he splits it and makes it three weeks.

KSSteelerfan
08-05-2010, 01:33 PM
This is good news if this pans out to be true.

Layin the wood
08-05-2010, 01:43 PM
2 would be wonderful but i think he will end up with 4 games!!

steelersbabex25
08-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I think Goodell has probably gotten alot of chit about his inconsistency as far as giving suspensions go. I wouldn't be surprised if he made it fewer than 4 weeks.

Steel Trap86
08-05-2010, 02:32 PM
They're just delaying the inevitable here. No way Ben sits out 6 games and I wouldn't be surprised if it was reduced to 3

ben looks pretty lean btw...probably the best shape hes ever been in this early in camp

I agree, he's going to be on a rampage when he gets back

coldrolled
08-05-2010, 03:18 PM
The NFL doesnt want us to win #7.......

NFL Clarifies Commishes Remarks on Roethlisberger Suspension Length
When speaking to reporters at Pittsburgh Steelers training camp, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell appeared to indicate that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's six-game suspension could be reduced to under four games, Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

"I'll make that decision later this month, but that's the way it was designed," Goodell said when asked if the suspension could be lower than four games. "We'll evaluate all of that at the end of the month."

According to Fittipaldo, an NFL spokesman clarified the Commissioner's remarks by stating that Roethlisberger's suspension will be four games at minimum.

Goodell added that Roethlisberger has exceeded the requirements put in place that would potentially reduce his suspension (to four games).

"He is doing great," Goodell said. "I had a chance to chat with him briefly and hopefully we'll talk again later today. I've been encouraged by what I have seen. He's understanding the seriousness of the issue. I think that's a very positive development."

LatrobePA
08-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Don't write us off too quick AFCN!!

KSSteelerfan
08-06-2010, 02:02 AM
They're just delaying the inevitable here. No way Ben sits out 6 games and I wouldn't be surprised if it was reduced to 3

I agree, he's going to be on a rampage when he gets back

:yellowthumb: :cope:

Layin the wood
08-06-2010, 10:04 AM
The only thing that can hinder him is the layoff (no practice etc.) but he looks in shape and ready to dominate!!

nuclearchihuahuas
08-06-2010, 11:26 AM
The commish made a point of stating Ben had gone above and beyond what was asked of him...if he doesn't reduce the sentence further than the original stated amount for doing extra...why would any other player in the nfl ever try to improve beyond only that which is absolutely required? The Commish needs to step up and provide a further reduction and make a big deal so every knows its because Ben did more than expected. That way players in the future will have some incentive to try harder. :2cents:

ejsteeler
08-06-2010, 12:24 PM
The commish made a point of stating Ben had gone above and beyond what was asked of him...if he doesn't reduce the sentence further than the original stated amount for doing extra...why would any other player in the nfl ever try to improve beyond only that which is absolutely required? The Commish needs to step up and provide a further reduction and make a big deal so every knows its because Ben did more than expected. That way players in the future will have some incentive to try harder. :2cents:

Though I do not disagree with what you said, I'm going to play devil's advocate. The Commish will probably look at it as another chance to enforce his power. Giving in to a players efforts after the fact sends the wrong message saying it's ok to get in trouble, work a little and I'll make it easier on you. :OA02:

I would love to see 3 though! :yellowthumb: :cope:

steelers4life66
08-06-2010, 02:16 PM
God, How grate that would be!!!!!!! Even if they drop it to 3 so Bens in against the rats.:cope:

75Steeler
08-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I think he will only sit two games Goodell should cut it to atleast that! Ben is looking great in camp he seems to have his chit together now!

steelers4life66
08-06-2010, 03:14 PM
I think he will only sit two games Goodell should cut it to atleast that! Ben is looking great in camp he seems to have his chit together now!

Two would B grate, But I'm betting on it being three.

JensK
08-06-2010, 03:38 PM
NFL have said it'll be no less that 4 games.