PDA

View Full Version : Duce Is Cut Loose..WOOOOO HOOOOOOO...Team brings back Mays & Iwouma

Steelerlyn
12-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Monday, December 04, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Duce Staley might finally help the Steelers this season by making room on the roster for someone else. The Steelers today released the veteran running back who virtually did not play this season.

Staley played one down in the first game of the season.

Faced with new and old injuries and not enough time for them to heal before they play again Thursday night against Cleveland, the Steelers signed two of their former players -- wide receiver Lee Mays and cornerback Chidi Iwuoma, their former special teams co-captain.

Mays was cut Sept. 2 and Iwuoma Sept. 6, the day before the season opened.

They also placed rookie wide receiver Willie Reid on injured reserve, ending his season. Reid missed the past eight games with a foot sprain after playing in just one game this season.

AZ_Steeler
12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Welcome back Chidi!!!! :cope:

Koopa
12-04-2006, 06:59 PM
i don't mind chidi coming back but **** mays, i rather just go in short handed then have that bum getting paid......and i guess it's time to chunk a deuce to duce

K Train
12-04-2006, 07:33 PM
happy birthday to me! :banana:

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Your telling me they could not sign a better WR then freaking mays?

Troyisabeast_43
12-04-2006, 08:03 PM
The only question I have is why did it take them this damn long to finally cut Duce and sign Chidi back when they clearly should have done this about 4-5 weeks ago with all the special teams problems the Steelers have been having this year, and just based on the fact that they never ever had no intention at using Duce at all. Its just another very bizzare stupid much too late move by Cowher who should have made this move weeks ago instead of now. Cowher just has not handled stuff well at all this year when it comes to making roster moves, or putting players in positions they shouldnt be in or whatever else. Its just absolutely insane that they didnt sign Chidi weeks ago when they needed him on special teams and knew damn well they had no use for Duce at no point this year.

Steelerlyn
12-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Oh dear! whatever shall we do without him? Who shall fill the Gatorade jugs? Model the newest sweatshirts? He was so symbolic of this lost season, an indication of the seemingly stand pat designs of the Steelers after the SB XL win. I still don't get their thinking with him and Najeh. I thought Whisenhunt was the best young coordinator in the game, but I have very serious doubts about his ability to adapt to new conditions. How did he go from beating Cincy, Indy, Denver and Seattle with incredible game plans for each..to the listless game planning of the current year? I dont get it.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Hot Damn!!! Im so glad Chidi is back. Our special teams will see an immediate improvement with him back ! Waahhooo, and yes it's about time.

As far as Mays goes, think about it a minute. The guy knows our system, he knows the players and coaches,and Im sure he came at a fairly cheap price. It makes sense to bring him back. Im not saying he's the best, but for what we need right now, we don't need to be having to train a WR to learn our offense.

Iron City South
12-04-2006, 08:40 PM
You know, as a diehard Steelers fan I think its a damn shame we had to hit rock bottom and have a wash-out season before "common sense" decisions like telling Duce to take a walk were made .... Why in the hell wasn't this done is week 4 or 5 when everyone knew this guy was a BUM? If it looks like a Bum and runs like a Bum .... IT'S A BUM!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2006, 08:45 PM
You know Cowher, something has to hit him right in the jaw before he'll make any changes. He's as stubborn as ever.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Ok Chidi should have never been cut in the first place. I'm glad he is back. As for Duce Staley. Still don't understand what took so long to cut his sorry ***. Finally Bill Cowher made some good moves its just to bad its to late.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-04-2006, 09:05 PM
i don't mind chidi coming back but **** mays, i rather just go in short handed then have that bum getting paid......and i guess it's time to chunk a deuce to duce

I'm with you Koop I have no idea why Lee Mays was signed. Another great draft pick by Cowher/Colbert. He was only a 5th round pick but still a wasted a pick.

House of Steel
12-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Alright I see two sides of signing Lee Mays, yes he is a damn bum, but you know TG got a point, he knows the system and we really don't have time to train a new receiver that makes sense. HALLELUJAH Chidi is back where he belong, finally something rang in Cowher's head. Staley should of been cut at the beginning of the season, what took them so damn long?

Steelerlyn
12-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Alright I see two sides of signing Lee Mays, yes he is a damn bum, but you know TG got a point, he knows the system and we really don't have time to train a new receiver that makes sense. HALLELUJAH Chidi is back where he belong, finally something rang in Cowher's head. Staley should of been cut at the beginning of the season, what took them so damn long?

He shoulld have been cut last year when all he did was stand on the sidelines in his damn gray sweatsuit. He did dress for the Superbowl, it must be a guideline that in order for any active player on the roster to get a ring (unless they are hospitalized or on life support, etc) they have to at least dress, if anyone knows please tell us because I do not really know, just an assumption on my part since it was the only game he dressed for.

SteelerFan87
12-04-2006, 10:28 PM
I heard the reason the Steelers had to keep Staley was because he took a pay cut, and if they had just cut him it would have looked bad and maybe players would be less likely to take pay cuts. That's a good point I think. I mean, it would be pretty classless to thank a guy for taking a pay cut by cutting him. I guess now with the injuries they have a reason why they HAVE to cut him.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Chidi back, and while Mays is far from a great WR, he's definitely better at it that Sean Morey.

K Train
12-04-2006, 10:58 PM
i'd rather see quincy morgan than mays though

SteelerFan87
12-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah. Any chance we could get the Broncos to give him back to us?

House of Steel
12-04-2006, 11:05 PM
I thought that was a dumbass decision to cut Quincy Morgan, I was livid. Now it is biting us back in the *** for that one. Thanks for the reminder, 87.

Prosdo
12-04-2006, 11:36 PM
:dance::dance: Woohoo! They finally cut the highest paid cheerleader in the NFL and Chidi is back! :dance::dance:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2006, 11:50 PM
I hated to see Quincy go as well. He was a good return man and we could certainly have used him this year in that capacity.

House of Steel
12-05-2006, 12:11 AM
He was a good receiver also when given the chance. We could of used him as a Third Stringer WR. Quincy was better than Cedrick in my opinion.

Steelersfan
12-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Finally an end to the Staley question!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 12:33 AM
He was a good receiver also when given the chance. We could of used him as a Third Stringer WR. Quincy was better than Cedrick in my opinion.

They both had good points..Quincey could return kicks and had some good hands, but Cedric is fast with decent hands so neither one is spectacular but Morgan gave us alot in the return game.